Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 04:20:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [INFO] Tips to keep your account safe from thieves and scammers  (Read 582 times)
Eclipse33 (OP)
Copper Member

Activity: 940
Merit: 417

Eclipse© Cryptographic equipment

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2021, 05:06:25 PM
Last edit: January 22, 2022, 03:45:49 PM by Eclipse33
Merited by krogothmanhattan (20), ChiBitCTy (5), cygan (3), Abiky (2), Heisenberg_Hunter (2), Frank AlpenCoin (2), 2stout (1), SatsLife (1), BobbyCoins (1)

Due to a recent uptick in scammer activity I have decided to create a thread based around the tips and tricks that you can use to keep your account safe.

1. Always check the URL of the website you are visiting to make sure it isn't spoofed

Scammers will build elaborate websites that look identical to legitimate websites. All designed to con the target into entering their credentials. Always double check the URL of the website you are visiting in order to make sure it isn't a spoofed website.

In this case scam sites could pose as Bittcointalk.org or Bitcointtalk.org, something like this.

2. Dont click on links from people you dont know/ newbies

Links sent by people you don't know could contain malicious software that could compromise your account or send you to a fake bitcointalk website. As a rule of thumb always verify the link is safe before you click on it. One false move and thieves could compromise your account.

A few examples of links that when clicked will give away your password

3. Encrypt sensitive information  

Your real name, your home address, your phone number if applicable, anything that is important during a transaction. Use privnote.com, PGP keys or zerobin.net. The safest and most secure method Is going to be the use of PGP keys. websites may keep logs even though they say they don't.

4. Use escrow when possible

An escrow agent acts as a independent intermediary during a transaction. This escrow agent keeps both parties safe when exchanging physical goods for crypto. Crypto cant be charged back if you are scammed. Those coins are gone forever. Use trusted and reliable third parties such as Minerjones, Krogoth, Ognasty.

Highest rated escrow agents can be found here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=276897.0

5. Dont send coins to people you dont know/ haven't verified who they are.

If you are sending coins directly to someone without using an escrow agent you are putting yourself in a position to be scammed. Always verify this user is trustworthy and has some degree of history trading on the forum before you send coins directly to them. If they dont have a history use an escrow agent.

6. Never type private keys into a computer for any reason whatsoever

The private key is the backdoor to your crypto stored in that account. If you have shared that for any reason whatsoever you should assume that crypto is already compromised and it's just a matter of time before it disappears.

7. Use 2FA whenever possible

2FA stands for two factor authentication. 2FA can save your account if your password becomes compromised. 2FA acts as a physical barrier between the thief and your account. Yubikey, Google authenticator are the tools I recommend you to use. This simple implementation of 2FA could be the last wall of security that saves your account from potential thieves.

8. Dont communicate with scammers/ thieves asking for ransom

If you slipped up, made a mistake and had a security breach, and a scammer is asking for ransom to give you back your information, your crypto or whatever. Don't communicate at all with the scammer and especially don't pay them any money. If someone threatens you in exchange for crypto don't even respond to them. They have no power over you until you respond and they know they have a real person on the other end of the line. Once they know you are alive and breathing they can ramp up their threats.

9. We all make mistakes, it's ok if you do too

If you slip-up and lose access to your account or send crypto to a scammer. Take a deep breath and move on, take it as a learning lesson. We all make mistakes and scammers prey upon the naive among us. If you have a breach in security perhaps it was meant to happen so that you could see the holes in your own security and improve them for next-time.

10. Let other members know if your account was compromised

The thief may quickly try to sell items they don't have and rip off members of the forum. Don't let others fall victim to your lapse in security. Let users know that your account was taken over and that you are working on getting it back. The worst thing you can do is go silent and allow the thief to post on your behalf.

Summery -----

We can beat these thieves but we will have to work in coordination. One slip in any of our collective security measures could mean all of us get compromised or doxxed. I think as a whole we should be paying more attention to our security practices so we can all continue to remain safe.

I hope this guide has helped you keep your accounts and personal information safe from thieves and scammers. If you have any-other tips and tricks feel free to add to the discussion. If this guide has helped you in any way make sure to send some love my way with a merit.

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███

███

███

███

███
Eclipse
)███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███

███

███

███

███
   MARKETPLACE
▀   TELEGRAM
   TWITTER
▀   INSTAGRAM
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███

███

███

███

███
███▄▄███████▄▄
▄█████▀█▀█████▄
▄███████████████▄
█████████████████
███████████▀█████▄▄
██████████████████████▄
▀████████████████████▀██
██████▄█▄██████████▀█████
███▀▀████████▀█▀███████
██████████████▄███▄██████
████████████████▄███████
██████████▀███████████▀
████████████▀▀█████▀▀
| BTC |
| XMR |
ACCEPTED
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███

███

███

███

███
[/quote]
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
krogoth

Activity: 1217
Merit: 138

Krogothmanhattan alt account

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2021, 05:49:23 PM

Nice thread you started here...good job and thankyou!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>CIPHER BILLS-CIPHER BONDS-CIPHER STAMPS * www.CYPHERHODL.com * COLD STORAGE BITCOIN CERTIFICATES <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
pinky1234

Activity: 355
Merit: 123

View Profile
November 24, 2021, 07:00:11 PM

The link that i click here a few days ago , exactly was the same link from this site , nothing change once i click took me to the home screen of bitcointalk , meaning looks like i was at the site. so idk what kind of tools they have develop on here .i would love to post the link here , but for everyone safe will not post it .  its like my account was clone once i have click at the link .  Wink
Heisenberg_Hunter
Legendary

Activity: 1583
Merit: 1276

Heisenberg Design Services

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2021, 07:05:30 PM

Your real name, your home address, your phone number if applicable, anything that is important during a transaction. Use privnote.com, PGP keys or zerobin.net. The safest and most secure method Is going to be the use of PGP keys. websites may keep logs even though they say they don't.

I would prefer not to disclose your real name or your home address to anyone unless they are highly trusted in the community. If the buyer/receiver is in a country where PO Box is available, I would prefer using that instead of risking our house address. If PO Boxes are unavailable in the country where the receiver is present, they should be seeking the help of a friend or someone known to them to receive the packages.

Moreover providing real names/any info related to us to an online stranger is not advisable as we end up in getting doxxed for various reasons. For international shipment, I use a dummy number which can be helpful on various instances too - hence I would suggest using that as well. Also, never use the same bitcoin addresses for receiving payments whatsoever and along with that prefer sending the txID through privnote.com or any safer websites. Posting the txIDs in replies shouldn't be encouraged too.
Eclipse33 (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2021, 07:44:12 PM

The link that i click here a few days ago , exactly was the same link from this site , nothing change once i click took me to the home screen of bitcointalk , meaning looks like i was at the site. so idk what kind of tools they have develop on here .i would love to post the link here , but for everyone safe will not post it .  its like my account was clone once i have click at the link .  Wink

Pinky, how long until your account was taken-over. Was it right away or was it after you were attempting to make a purchase.

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███

███

███

███

███
Eclipse
)███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███

███

███

███

███
   MARKETPLACE
▀   TELEGRAM
   TWITTER
▀   INSTAGRAM
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███

███

███

███

███
███▄▄███████▄▄
▄█████▀█▀█████▄
▄███████████████▄
█████████████████
███████████▀█████▄▄
██████████████████████▄
▀████████████████████▀██
███▀▀████████▀█▀███████
████████████████▄███████
██████████▀███████████▀
████████████▀▀█████▀▀
| BTC |
| XMR |
ACCEPTED
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███

███

███

███

███
[/quote]
pinky1234

View Profile
November 24, 2021, 08:34:15 PM

My account was taken over instantly , disable email notification , send pm to Seller requesting Refund . I believe there must be a way to send a privnote to seller and a second email using different platform " with privnote password " . Because they knew tx id on privnote . so ADm should let seller and Buyer knows about this issue. like  ALL seller must add a second email on listing  to send password for privnote only.

1- Buy item
2- Send message to seller throught Bitcointalk with a Privnote password protected
3- use a secondary email to email the seller the password for the privnote  + bitcointalk user name+ shipping address

Agree not agree ADM
Eclipse33 (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2021, 08:44:31 PM

We can beat these thieves but we will have to work in coordination. One slip in any of our collective security measures could mean all of us get compromised or doxxed. I think as a whole we should be paying more attention to our security practices so we can all continue to remain safe. As collectables continue to gain in value more sophisticated adversariual groups may enter the space and attempt to prey on collectors. 

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███

███

███

███

███
Eclipse
)███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███

███

███

███

███
   MARKETPLACE
▀   TELEGRAM
   TWITTER
▀   INSTAGRAM
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███

███

███

███

███
███▄▄███████▄▄
▄█████▀█▀█████▄
▄███████████████▄
█████████████████
███████████▀█████▄▄
██████████████████████▄
▀████████████████████▀██
███▀▀████████▀█▀███████
████████████████▄███████
██████████▀███████████▀
████████████▀▀█████▀▀
| BTC |
| XMR |
ACCEPTED
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███

███

███

███

███
[/quote]
Eclipse33 (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2021, 08:46:39 PM

My account was taken over instantly , disable email notification , send pm to Seller requesting Refund . I believe there must be a way to send a privnote to seller and a second email using different platform " with privnote password " . Because they knew tx id on privnote . so ADm should let seller and Buyer knows about this issue. like  ALL seller must add a second email on listing  to send password for privnote only.

1- Buy item
2- Send message to seller throught Bitcointalk with a Privnote password protected
3- use a secondary email to email the seller the password for the privnote  + bitcointalk user name+ shipping address

Agree not agree ADM

maybe if we encourage the use of PGP as a standard for encryption of private information/ tx id we can avoid something like this happening again.

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███

███

███

███

███
Eclipse
)███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███

███

███

███

███
   MARKETPLACE
▀   TELEGRAM
   TWITTER
▀   INSTAGRAM
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███

███

███

███

███
███▄▄███████▄▄
▄█████▀█▀█████▄
▄███████████████▄
█████████████████
███████████▀█████▄▄
██████████████████████▄
▀████████████████████▀██
███▀▀████████▀█▀███████
████████████████▄███████
██████████▀███████████▀
████████████▀▀█████▀▀
| BTC |
| XMR |
ACCEPTED
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███

███

███

███

███
[/quote]
Eclipse33 (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2021, 07:06:24 PM

Bump this thread.

Remain vigilant guys, another user was just scammed out of BTC in the past few days.

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███

███

███

███

███
Eclipse
)███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███

███

███

███

███
   MARKETPLACE
▀   TELEGRAM
   TWITTER
▀   INSTAGRAM
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███

███

███

███

███
███▄▄███████▄▄
▄█████▀█▀█████▄
▄███████████████▄
█████████████████
███████████▀█████▄▄
██████████████████████▄
▀████████████████████▀██
███▀▀████████▀█▀███████
████████████████▄███████
██████████▀███████████▀
████████████▀▀█████▀▀
| BTC |
| XMR |
ACCEPTED
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███

███

███

███

███
[/quote]
pinky1234

View Profile
December 09, 2021, 09:54:20 PM
Last edit: December 09, 2021, 10:06:37 PM by pinky1234

Beware of fucking scammer, everytime someone"Seller"  do an auction . most of the buyer will be getting a pm Link just like the pic buttom. dont F click in the link , your acccount will get hacked  right away. this is how they got me .  .

REMINDER : USER NAME WILL BE " FREEDOM.IO.  " MOST TIME . IF YOU GET A PM FROM THIS USER DELETE MESSAGE AND REPORT IT .

https://ibb.co/X5LHq39
dirtbike
Copper Member

Activity: 55
Merit: 2

View Profile
December 09, 2021, 10:21:14 PM

Beware of fucking scammer, everytime someone"Seller"  do an auction . most of the buyer will be getting a pm Link just like the pic buttom. dont F click in the link , your acccount will get hacked  right away. this is how they got me .  .

REMINDER : USER NAME WILL BE " FREEDOM.IO.  " MOST TIME . IF YOU GET A PM FROM THIS USER DELETE MESSAGE AND REPORT IT .

https://ibb.co/X5LHq39

I got sent a pm from freedom.io today and clicked the link.... like a fool... It "logged me out". I did not go any further. I did change my password to my account right away. What else should I do? Is anything outside of this account vulnerable at this point?
pinky1234

View Profile
December 09, 2021, 10:45:48 PM

well your password has been compromised, scammer will try to get to your email using your password from bitcointalk , if thats the cae ,change your email password.
dirtbike
Copper Member

Activity: 55
Merit: 2

View Profile
December 09, 2021, 10:49:20 PM

well your password has been compromised, scammer will try to get to your email using your password from bitcointalk , if thats the cae ,change your email password.

well then i think/hope they are out of luck, I used a 1 time password when i signed up here. I'll change my email password again and try to set up a 2fa for here. Thanks for the reply
pinky1234

View Profile
December 09, 2021, 10:57:13 PM

great, just make sure if you have got anything from an auction in the past few day , pm seller let them knows that if someone request for a refund for whatever reason isnt you. thats how i lost money previous . scammer requested for a refund , and he got the refund, since he knew tx .  Wink
MrCryptHodl

Activity: 1078
Merit: 872

In Bitcoin We Trust

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2021, 01:21:12 PM

Hi everyone ! i hope you all are fine !  Cheesy

Be careful, a user who participated in my auction had his account hacked, I received a message that he wanted to cancel his order, so I directly sent a message to the user on Twitter and he confirmed that he did not send me this message.

I told him to change his password directly and he just did it.

Whether you are a buyer or a seller you may be scam victim, try to always have a contact outside the forum with your buyer/seller in case you suspect a message and would like to made a double verification, as I have do on twitter.

Pay attention to yourself, I noticed that the "Hackers" are much more present when the activity in our section increases, I advise you to create contacts on Twitter or discord to always be able to do double checks in case of doubts.

Otherwise I hope you all have a good day!  Grin

pinky1234

View Profile
December 10, 2021, 04:02:34 PM
Merited by Eclipse33 (1)

AM SUPER MAD , I WOULD  RECOMEND ON EVERY AUCTION FOR THE SELLER TO WRITE DOWN

" BEWARE OF SCAMMER SENDING PM TO CLICK ON A LINK , YOUR ACCOUNT WILL GET HACKED INSTANTLY"  THIS SHOULD BE ON RED ON EVERY AUCTIONS @ ADMIN..............
KrispyKrypto
Copper Member

Activity: 65
Merit: 110

View Profile
December 10, 2021, 04:35:15 PM

Are the malicious links only harmful if you type in password /username or whatever when in them. Can they download malware onto your computer just clicking on a link ?  ( I'm mainly talking about the malicious and notorious bitcointalk-link) . I have clicked on one before , but immediately closed the browser . Just curious as to what actual happens when you are clicking on a malicious link . I know they are spying on your computer , but that can only happen when in the link right ?

Krispy

"Buy the Schiff"
Eclipse33 (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2021, 05:46:15 PM

AM SUPER MAD , I WOULD  RECOMEND ON EVERY AUCTION FOR THE SELLER TO WRITE DOWN

" BEWARE OF SCAMMER SENDING PM TO CLICK ON A LINK , YOUR ACCOUNT WILL GET HACKED INSTANTLY"  THIS SHOULD BE ON RED ON EVERY AUCTIONS @ ADMIN..............

I like this idea pinky

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███

███

███

███

███
Eclipse
)███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███

███

███

███

███
   MARKETPLACE
▀   TELEGRAM
   TWITTER
▀   INSTAGRAM
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███

███

███

███

███
███▄▄███████▄▄
▄█████▀█▀█████▄
▄███████████████▄
█████████████████
███████████▀█████▄▄
██████████████████████▄
▀████████████████████▀██
███▀▀████████▀█▀███████
████████████████▄███████
██████████▀███████████▀
████████████▀▀█████▀▀
| BTC |
| XMR |
ACCEPTED
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███

███

███

███

███
[/quote]
mx12.levins
Copper Member

Activity: 630
Merit: 276

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2021, 05:54:02 PM

Thank you!
Eclipse33 (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2021, 06:00:59 PM

Are the malicious links only harmful if you type in password /username or whatever when in them. Can they download malware onto your computer just clicking on a link ?  ( I'm mainly talking about the malicious and notorious bitcointalk-link) . I have clicked on one before , but immediately closed the browser . Just curious as to what actual happens when you are clicking on a malicious link . I know they are spying on your computer , but that can only happen when in the link right ?

Krispy

It all depends upon how sophisticated this group is and how motivated they are to steal a few thousand dollars of cryptocurrency. Because they have had some success on this forum from users who were either newbies or just not aware of basic security this has given them the incentive to stick around. Its probably a group of maybe one or more people who have used this forum in the past and have an awareness of how our community works. Insiders that have turned to adversaries who now want to make some crypto on the side.

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███

███

███

███