Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:04:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What % of your liquid wealth is in BTC?
0% - 11 (10.5%)
1% - 12 (11.4%)
2% - 7 (6.7%)
3% - 9 (8.6%)
4% - 2 (1.9%)
5%+ - 13 (12.4%)
10%+ - 13 (12.4%)
25%+ - 8 (7.6%)
50%+ - 13 (12.4%)
75%+ - 13 (12.4%)
100% - 4 (3.8%)
Total Voters: 104

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What % of your liquid wealth is in BTC?  (Read 2783 times)
BrightAnarchist (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 853
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 04, 2011, 10:02:49 PM

Just curious Smiley

I already voted, it's 2%. That means 98% liquid wealth in USD, gold, etc and 2% in BTC.

Note that "liquid wealth" does not include your house or your car, etc. It's simply financial assets that can be quickly sold for cash.

I'm hoping to get this up to 4% soon, since I'm really prefering BTC to any other financial asset. But there's risk by concentrating too much in any asset of course
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Als Pawnshop
VIP

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 04, 2011, 10:11:24 PM

I voted 50%+ LOL but that kind of depends what you mean by "liquid".  My BTC >> Cash+Gold+Silver.... but I have plenty of other assets; not sure if you'd consider them liquid.  And if you have debts do you subtract that from your liquid assets?  In that case I'm well-over 100% into BTC.  Embarrassed
jimbobway
Legendary

Activity: 1304
Merit: 1014

View Profile
December 04, 2011, 10:15:28 PM

I plan to set aside a portion of my paycheck for bitcoins.  Maybe 20% of each paycheck.

BrightAnarchist (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
December 04, 2011, 10:26:50 PM

I plan to set aside a portion of my paycheck for bitcoins.  Maybe 20% of each paycheck.

I am doing the same thing
Internet151

Activity: 174
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 05, 2011, 01:17:50 AM

I have over 90% of my liquid wealth in BTC currently.
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2011, 02:29:14 AM

I have close to 10% invested in BTC. I still rely more on traditional assets such as gold because Bitcoin is too small, too volatile and too risky. But as time goes on it's very possible that I'll increase the amount of wealth I keep in Bitcoins. It has all the properties of a great store of value once the market is a bit larger.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
December 05, 2011, 04:40:05 AM

This made me realize one of bitcoin's advantages over other asset classes: it's the most liquid. Up until now I'd not really considered it too seriously as a store of wealth (volatility, newness, etc.) but I might rethink that because of the incredibly high liquidity... in a sense, bitcoin is liquidity made manifest. It beats precious metals, as you don't have to physically meet with the other party to deliver it. Even cash is usually trapped in a bank, subject to some degree to their whims.

And as outlets for exchange and use increase, it only gets better. Hmm.

I think I'll be upping my %.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
DeaDTerra
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
December 05, 2011, 07:43:12 AM

I have about 10% of my wealth in forms of pure Bitcoins, but if you count having stocks in for example GLBSE that have been purchased and traded in Bitcoins. Then it's probably closer to around 50%.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 05, 2011, 05:25:24 PM

This made me realize one of bitcoin's advantages over other asset classes: it's the most liquid. Up until now I'd not really considered it too seriously as a store of wealth (volatility, newness, etc.) but I might rethink that because of the incredibly high liquidity... in a sense, bitcoin is liquidity made manifest. It beats precious metals, as you don't have to physically meet with the other party to deliver it. Even cash is usually trapped in a bank, subject to some degree to their whims.

And as outlets for exchange and use increase, it only gets better. Hmm.

I think I'll be upping my %.

d*mn those speculators providing all this liquidity.  how dare they put their interests ahead of real honest to goodness merchants! Wink
BrightAnarchist (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
December 05, 2011, 05:29:22 PM

I have about 10% of my wealth in forms of pure Bitcoins, but if you count having stocks in for example GLBSE that have been purchased and traded in Bitcoins. Then it's probably closer to around 50%.

Yes I would include those since they're bitcoin denominated
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
December 05, 2011, 05:35:20 PM

i have a major chunk.  thats all i'm willing to say.  

more relevantly, i traded in most of my gold and silver for Bitcoin and continue to be happy i've done that.  

the real gains in Bitcoin are yet to come.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
December 05, 2011, 09:17:11 PM

I won't say what I put as a %, and it is not very accurate anyway, but I will say that it is dwarfed by PMs.  My BTC percentage of net worth would be higher had not the value of BTC dropped significantly from the $16-ish level.

That said, as time goes by and the Bitcoin network remains non-exploited, my confidence in it grows.  Additionally, as Bank of America makes shifts to co-mingles their derivatives wing with FDIC wing, as MF Global blows up and steals customer accounts, as the US Fed intervening to save counter-party banks in Europe, etc, etc, my desire to be rid of anything which can be easily stolen increases and so to the amount of my net worth that I am willing to risk with Bitcoin (which I consider to be very risky, but a very useful thing to have in the event of bank holidays and capital controls.)

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2011, 07:33:49 PM

I voted as a lot before reading that things like mutual funds are considered liquit. My a lot is based on percentage of my cash savings, in which case it's most. If compared to my stock holdings, thanks to the slide down from $17, not so much Tongue
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2011, 08:20:58 PM

Everything that can be changed to BTC with relative ease can be considered liquid. If you own stocks, gold, whatever, that's liquid. If you own a house, that's not liquid. That's how I understand it, anyway. Smiley

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 08:57:14 PM

more relevantly, i traded in most of my gold and silver for Bitcoin and continue to be happy i've done that.  
Really? If you timed the transition badly, you could have missed out on a lot of Bitcoins … but I guess it might be worth the assurance that you didn’t miss a possible train.

I don’t have very much yet (and not that much anymore thanks to the long, slow slide, which hit me bad as I expected a major crash and often interpreted everything else as bullish), but my main form of saving will continue to be Bitcoin until I see something better. (Un?)fortunately, I still don’t.

Probably won’t be upping my percentage anytime soon though, unless I can, once more, get my hands on some sub dollar BTC. Grin
BTCurious

Activity: 714
Merit: 504

^SEM img of Si wafer edge, scanned 2012-3-12.

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 09:01:34 PM

I was expecting a large porportion in the low range (that's why I had a bunch of options for below 5%), but I didn't expect a full one third to be above 50%, wow!
Yeah, that surprised me too!
I myself am middle tier -- half of the time. I do some slow-pace arbitrage over slow exchanges. Scrapes together a few coins Smiley

Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2011, 09:15:24 PM

my main form of saving will continue to be Bitcoin until I see something better

Ditto!  Grin
Dollar cost averaging makes the pain less and less over time, too (used to be I needed BTC to be $18 to break even. Now it's under $10)
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 09:30:09 PM

It’s good to see true long-term bulls with conviction. I think that’s, on a much larger scale and time frame, all it takes to make Bitcoin a true store of value.

You can’t believe how I nearly shit my pants when it crashed from 1$, yet I just bought more at the time.

Quite the bear trap …
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2011, 09:42:09 PM

It’s good to see true long-term bulls with conviction. I think that’s, on a much larger scale and time frame, all it takes to make Bitcoin a true store of value.

You can’t believe how I nearly shit my pants when it crashed from 1$, yet I just bought more at the time.

Quite the bear trap …

My investment "classes" have basically conditioned me to keep buying when prices go down, as long as it's something you believe in (such as S&P index), since all that's happening is the prices to buy it are getting cheaper. That's the same way I view Bitcoin; I believe in the technology and the people working on implementing it, and over the last six months it's just been getting cheaper to buy into it. I was probably one of the few people being happy about the 2008 crash, too, since that allowed me to quickly catch up to more seasoned investors on the rebound.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 10:12:13 PM

If you realize that the Fed has to continue to debase the USD to keep the world afloat then you realize the value of Bitcoin.  They cannot afford to let countries default in a domino effect like we had companies do in the 2008 crash.  The stock market is sensing this as are commodities like oil.  Unfortunately gold is not doing as well:

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: