Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 08:47:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bundling Bitcoin with Linux distros...  (Read 1942 times)
ineededausername (OP)

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
December 05, 2011, 04:50:32 AM

What would it take to get the major distros to include Bitcoin in their pre-installed software?  Bitcoin and the FOSS community share many values in common, so I suspect we could get some sympathy for including our open-source, decentralized currency in Linux distros.
Anyone else think this is a good idea?

(BFL)^2 < 0

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Crypt_Current

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
December 05, 2011, 04:55:39 AM

If it weren't for Linuxcoin, I'd know nothing about Linux...  Linuxcoin seems really buggy though.  At first, I couldn't tell if its regular crashings were just my ignorance or the OS being buggy.  The more I use it though, the more I think the latter...

I'm going to try Ubuntu soon.

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
December 05, 2011, 04:59:17 AM

I would like to at least see it in the standard Ubuntu repository, when we reach version 1.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
ineededausername (OP)

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
December 05, 2011, 05:01:10 AM

I would like to at least see it in the standard Ubuntu repository, when we reach version 1.

Though we haven't reached version 1, the client is already stable and very usable by Linux users.  Remember, we aren't talking about grandmas when we talk about Linux Tongue

(BFL)^2 < 0
ThiagoCMC
Legendary

Activity: 1204

฿itcoin: Currency of Resistance!

View Profile
December 05, 2011, 07:50:24 PM

Hi!

Please, check the following post:
 Point for Bitcoin! Point for Linux! And point for Ubuntu!!

Best!
Thiago
wareen
Millionaire
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1001

Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 10:05:37 AM

I don't think it's a good approach to try and force Bitcoin upon anybody. Such methods are bound to spur negative reactions and honestly I don't think Bitcoin needs such questionable forms of advertising.

Make nice packages for all the flavors of Linux out there and improve the user experience of the client(s). While you're at it, see that the smartphone wallets get polished and are present in all the (alternative) appstores.

With something like Bitcoin where even tech-people are very quick to dismiss it as a scam, we really should not push it too much - especially given its beta status. Let's keep improving the infrastructure and the usability and Bitcoin's advantages will speak for itself.

▄▄▀▀▄▄
    ▄▄▀▀▄▄██▄▄▀▀▄▄
▄▄▀▀▄▄█████▄████▄▄▀▀▄▄
█▀▀█▄█████████████
█▄▄████▀   ▀██████
███████     █▄████
█████▀█▄   ▄██████
█▄█████▌   ▐█████
█████▀█     ██████
██▄███████████████
▀▀▄▄▀▀█████▀████▀▀▄▄▀▀
    ▀▀▄▄▀▀██▀▀▄▄▀▀
        ▀▀▄▄▀▀
.PDATA..
TOKEN..
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
TELEGRAM     BITCOINTALK     FACEBOOK
MEDIUM    SLACK    TWITTER    YOUTUBE
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   E M A I L   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2011, 01:44:53 PM
Last edit: December 07, 2011, 06:31:42 PM by markm

I do not think it is ready until root can install it system-wide for each user to be able to use it without each having to have their own copy of the blockchain.

The blockchain(s) should go in /var/spool/blockchains or something like that, where all users can access it or each daemon (main net and test net even if not considering alternate blockchain-based applications) can get at it to provide each user an interface that doesn't involve having access to other users' accounts.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
JeffK

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

I never hashed for this...

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 03:49:31 PM

What would it take to get the major distros to include Bitcoin in their pre-installed software?  Bitcoin and the FOSS community share many values in common, so I suspect we could get some sympathy for including our open-source, decentralized currency in Linux distros.

There are extremely large amounts of politics that go into deciding not only what software should be included in the default installations, and I can tell you right now that Bitcoin will never be included in the default installation of CentOS/Debian/Ubuntu/Fedora/etc, and it never should be.

bitcoind is included in the repositories of many distributions by virtue of being open source, but you are vastly overestimating the overlap between Bitcoin and FOSS 'values', and underestimating the amount of work and politics that goes into package set selections.

also basically this:
I don't think it's a good approach to try and force Bitcoin upon anybody. Such methods are bound to spur negative reactions and honestly I don't think Bitcoin needs such questionable forms of advertising.

Make nice packages for all the flavors of Linux out there and improve the user experience of the client(s). While you're at it, see that the smartphone wallets get polished and are present in all the (alternative) appstores.

With something like Bitcoin where even tech-people are very quick to dismiss it as a scam, we really should not push it too much - especially given its beta status. Let's keep improving the infrastructure and the usability and Bitcoin's advantages will speak for itself.

I don't use Ubuntu any more because of some software they force into my system, even if I don't use it and/or disable it (Ubuntu One, Unity, Software Center). I would be livid if someone tried to hamfistedly wedge a bitcoin client into my Linux distribution, doubly so if they forced me to download the blockchain or something.

Distributions should include as few network service packages by default as possible. Anything more is a security risk/more trouble for admins to lock down or disable.
ineededausername (OP)

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 04:52:50 PM

What would it take to get the major distros to include Bitcoin in their pre-installed software?  Bitcoin and the FOSS community share many values in common, so I suspect we could get some sympathy for including our open-source, decentralized currency in Linux distros.

There are extremely large amounts of politics that go into deciding not only what software should be included in the default installations, and I can tell you right now that Bitcoin will never be included in the default installation of CentOS/Debian/Ubuntu/Fedora/etc, and it never should be.

bitcoind is included in the repositories of many distributions by virtue of being open source, but you are vastly overestimating the overlap between Bitcoin and FOSS 'values', and underestimating the amount of work and politics that goes into package set selections.

also basically this:

I don't use Ubuntu any more because of some software they force into my system, even if I don't use it and/or disable it (Ubuntu One, Unity, Software Center). I would be livid if someone tried to hamfistedly wedge a bitcoin client into my Linux distribution, doubly so if they forced me to download the blockchain or something.

Distributions should include as few network service packages by default as possible. Anything more is a security risk/more trouble for admins to lock down or disable.

Yeah, my purpose in asking this question was to get opinions on the following:
1.  Is it a good idea? (Ethical to put Bitcoin in default package lists?)
2.  Is it plausible?

It seems that your answers are no to both.  However, for the first one, I personally think that as long as you aren't forcing people to download the blockchain or use the client, you aren't really "pushing Bitcoin" on them. 

(BFL)^2 < 0
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 05:05:22 PM

mh... when i install a OS i expect to install only it and maybe some software to see photo/video, listen to audio and browse internet, nothing more...

ineededausername (OP)

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 06:44:55 PM

mh... when i install a OS i expect to install only it and maybe some software to see photo/video, listen to audio and browse internet, nothing more...

But why should audio/video software be distinguished from payment software?  I don't see the fundamental difference... if Bitcoin, one day, were sufficiently useful (broad enough user base) that one could use it as a replacement for Paypal, I would support bundling it into Linux distros.

(BFL)^2 < 0
btc_artist

Activity: 154
Merit: 101

Bitcoin!

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2011, 06:53:24 PM

I think a good first step would be to get bitcoin into the ubuntu software repository.

BTC: 1CDCLDBHbAzHyYUkk1wYHPYmrtDZNhk8zf
LTC: LMS7SqZJnqzxo76iDSEua33WCyYZdjaQoE
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 08:10:07 PM

But why should audio/video software be distinguished from payment software?  I don't see the fundamental difference... if Bitcoin, one day, were sufficiently useful (broad enough user base) that one could use it as a replacement for Paypal, I would support bundling it into Linux distros.
Because being able to open and use files is a more basic need with an os

dunand

Activity: 637
Merit: 502

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 09:57:41 PM

Adding the bitcoin client in the Ubuntu repository would be awesome.

Matt Corallo maintain an untrusted PPA for ubuntu https://launchpad.net/~bitcoin. Maybe he is working to add is package to the universe repository for Ubuntu?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: