Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 11:24:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Metaverse isn’t ‘compelling’ and Web3 ‘more marketing than reality’ - Elon Musk  (Read 58 times)
avikz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1500

View Profile
January 03, 2022, 09:53:30 AM

I am wondering why no one has discussed about it!

The metaverse and Web3 are two trends supposedly set to revolutionize the digital world. But the richest man IRL, Elon Musk, is not keen on either. In a recent interview, the SpaceX and Tesla CEO said he couldn’t see a compelling use-case for the VR-driven metaverse, and derided Web3 — a nebulous concept in which internet services are rebuilt around blockchain and cryptocurrency — as “more marketing than reality,” adding “I don’t get it.”

Reference: https://www.theverge.com/2021/12/22/22849717/elon-musk-metaverse-web3-more-marketing-than-reality

Do you concur?

The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Egrato

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 03, 2022, 10:07:30 AM

For once - yes, I agree with Elon. Web3 is a dream more than anything practical right now. Don't get me started on Metaverse - nobody even knows what it's supposed to be.
cryptomaniac_xxx

Activity: 1498
Merit: 566

View Profile
January 03, 2022, 10:30:45 AM

Both are huge concept though that I would have to tend to agree with Elon here, (although still, him being a crypto influencer?, hmm).

Yeah, no use case for now, I said for now because it is not pure hype comparable to the ICO and IEO or even meme hype before. So it's a trend that maybe later we will find at least one compelling used case, that will really make investors, smart investors to take a little closer.

airbet 
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

▄████▄▄▄██████▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████▀▀▀▀████
██████████████
▀███▀███████▄██
██████████▄███
██████████████
███████████████
███████████████
██████████████
█████▐████████
██████▀███████▀
▄███████████████▄
████████████████
█░██████████████
████████████████
████████████████
█████████████████
█████████████████
███████░█░███████
████████████████
█████████████████
██████████████░█
████████████████
▀███████████████▀
██▄▄▄
████████▄▄
██████▀▀████▄
██████▄░░████▄
██████████████
████████░░▀███▌
░████████▄▄████
██████████████▌
███░░░█████████
█████████░░░██▀
░░░███████████▀
██████░░░██▀
░░▀▀███▀

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
 PLAY NOW 
avikz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1500

View Profile
January 03, 2022, 06:04:40 PM

Both are huge concept though that I would have to tend to agree with Elon here, (although still, him being a crypto influencer?, hmm).

Yeah, no use case for now, I said for now because it is not pure hype comparable to the ICO and IEO or even meme hype before. So it's a trend that maybe later we will find at least one compelling used case, that will really make investors, smart investors to take a little closer.

Yes, that makes sense! It's really too early to declare something very very new as useless. It is quite possible that metaverse will find great use cases as the time goes. But as if now, it doesn't really makes sense to buy a piece of land that stays within the internet or even buying a jpg image just because the owner is verifiable through blockchain.

These are pure hype at this point but we are seeing an influx of tech companies showing interest in this field. Possibly something good will come up later!

vv181
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1273

View Profile
January 03, 2022, 10:59:03 PM

~But as if now, it doesn't really makes sense to buy a piece of land that stays within the internet or even buying a jpg image just because the owner is verifiable through blockchain. ~
Speaking as of now, I'm the one that hasn't conceptualized of metaverse yet, I rather think that somehow it really comes down to the basic of how things works, like what is the actual utilities of metaverse into the depth of personal being that someone can maximally benefit from the potency of metaverse, the same as you said, it is absurd to buy land on it.

About the latter, given that NFT has some technical issues that needed to be addressed to be completely met its promises, let's say as verifiable digital ownership, at the current level, I think that NFT really gives some use cases across people around the world especially artist. As an example, there are girls on this forum who can benefit of how NFT works since the regulatory barriers of her countries is delayed the ability to sell art around the world. Though in another hand, there is also some creator who gets their arts stealed and sold as NFT, and that is really concerning thing that needs a workaround. After all, that is the least thing why I think that NFT has a bigger space to maximize its potency.
magneto

Activity: 1666
Merit: 753

View Profile
January 04, 2022, 04:12:40 AM

Completely agree.

NFTs, Metaverse and Web3.0 are all buzzwords with no substance right now.

The only good trend that has come out of last year's bull run in my opinion is DeFi, which is actually what will be useful in the future and what everyone is using right now.

Metaverse, Web3.0 and NFTs are created by VCs for the VCs.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: