Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 02:54:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Using fiatleak.com to Screen Possible Altcoin Buys  (Read 48 times)
OROBTC (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852

View Profile
January 22, 2022, 05:29:33 AM

fiatleak.com is a website that has been around for years, but has evolved rather nicely.  I have been looking (somewhat randomly over the past couple of days) at the site and monitoring it to get some ideas as to Alts that may be of interest to me, I am still a BTC Maximalist for now, but willing to take a look.

A notion has occurred to me: it might be possible to get an idea of "quality" Alts based on the exchange activity (that's what it apparently shows, sales of crypto for fiat via exchanges) shown at the site.  

This might yield similar information to looking at $-volume of these Alts at coinmarketcap.com, that would make sense, but I have yet to try and correlate the fiatleak graphics with the data at coinmarketcap.

My question for you guys would be: Would relatively larger trading volumes roughly correlate with that "Alt's Quality"?

The Alts with the greatest apparent volume bought would be, in rough order: ETH, ADA, LRC & MATIC (tied), LINK/ALGO/ATOM (roughly tied), so would appear to be the "quality plays".  

Your thoughts?

(I exclude SHIB and DOGE from this question, as clearly they are Alts with no "intrinsic value" (I'm just interested in making money, could G.A.S. about jokes & memes, etc.).  I also exclude LTC, as BTC serves me already pretty well as a purely MONETARY function.)

Edited for clarity

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
hugeblack
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 3612

Buy/Sell crypto at BestChange

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2022, 09:22:59 AM

The word Alt's Quality sounds general so it has to be defined. Do you mean good for investment:

- Medium term: more trading volume mean more easily to liquidate it, which is a more important indicator than the speed of making a profit.
 - Short term: It may be a good indicator but it will be good to know why the price has changed and not to predict the future.
 - Long-term: Unfortunately, most altcoins fail to be store of value in the long run. you must monitor technical developments, speed of problem-solving and the unique advantages that the currency offers more than trading volumes.

Thus, in general, we cannot consider it a good indicator of the quality of altcoin, but it indicates that the currency is still alive and can be easily liquidated.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██