Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 06:06:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The world of sport reacts to the Russian invasion of Ukraine  (Read 897 times)
decodx (OP)

Activity: 1428
Merit: 929

🇺🇦 Glory to Ukraine!

View Profile
April 30, 2022, 06:40:26 PM

IIHF Moves 2023 World Championships Out of Russia

Another sport event that Russia will not be participating in has been announced by the International Ice Hockey Federation: the 2023 World Championships will not be held in that country. In its statement, the IIHF said that it will announce a new host for the 2023 World Championship during its annual congress in Tampere, Finland, during the final week of the 2022 World Championship.

According to IIHF's statement, the decision to move the event was made primarily for the safety and well-being of the players, officials, media, and fans involved.
"As was the case with Council's earlier decision to withdraw the 2023 IIHF World Junior Championship that was to be held in Omsk and Novosibirsk, Russia, the Council expressed significant concerns over the safe freedom of movement of players and officials to, from, and within Russia."

Earlier this year, the IIHF suspended Russian and Belarusian teams from its competitions until further notice and revoked Russia's hosting rights for the 2023 world junior championships.

source: https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/ice-hockey-russia-loses-2023-world-championship-iihf-2022-04-26/

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
decodx (OP)

🇺🇦 Glory to Ukraine!

View Profile
May 02, 2022, 10:06:53 PM

UEFA bans Russia from women's Euros and World Cup, clubs banned next season

According to the Reuters, UEFA has banned Russia from the Women's European Championship in July and from qualifying for next year's World Cup. In addition, the UEFA ruled Russia's bid to host the men's Euros in 2028 and 2032 ineligible, which means Turkey's bid to host the 2032 tournament is the only one that rivals Britain and Ireland's joint bid to host Euro 2028.

The European soccer's governing body said Russia's bid was ineligible in accordance with its regulations, which states "each bidder shall ensure that it does not act in a manner that could bring UEFA, the UEFA final or UEFA final phase, any other bidder, the bidding procedure or European football into disrepute".

Additionally, Russian clubs will not compete in UEFA's Champions League, Europa League or Europa Conference League next season.

source: https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/uefa-bans-russia-womens-euros-world-cup-qualifying-2022-05-02/

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
24Kt

Activity: 1092
Merit: 67

View Profile
May 02, 2022, 10:13:39 PM

UEFA bans Russia from women's Euros and World Cup, clubs banned next season

--

More and more organizations are ignoring Russian athletes. I believe, this has tremendous effect to the athletes themselves. They can't go to the world stage for the time being up until these leagues or organizations lift up the sanctions. We don't know when, but Russian athletes seemed not to be seen for the next couple of years. There may be change in the future but it depends on how these organizations react after the war is over.
decodx (OP)

🇺🇦 Glory to Ukraine!

View Profile
May 04, 2022, 07:25:30 PM

More and more organizations are ignoring Russian athletes. I believe, this has tremendous effect to the athletes themselves. They can't go to the world stage for the time being up until these leagues or organizations lift up the sanctions. We don't know when, but Russian athletes seemed not to be seen for the next couple of years. There may be change in the future but it depends on how these organizations react after the war is over.

That is not entirely true. The vast majority of athletes can still compete, just not under the Russian flag. It is only fair when you look at what their country has been doing in Ukraine. The Russian nationals should only be accepted as neutral athletes or neutral teams. I just don't think they deserve to compete for Russia.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
LTU_btc
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1330

Slava Ukraini!

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2022, 11:14:32 PM

That is not entirely true. The vast majority of athletes can still compete, just not under the Russian flag. It is only fair when you look at what their country has been doing in Ukraine. The Russian nationals should only be accepted as neutral athletes or neutral teams. I just don't think they deserve to compete for Russia.

I don't think that vast majority of athletes still can compete under neutral flag. From main sports only tennis comes to my head. And still, not in every tournament, like they're already banned from Wimbledon. Maybe cycling too, I'm no sure.
They still can represent foreign sports teams in football, basketball, hockey and so on, but that's different thing.
From what I noticed, Belarus don't get such strict sanctions like Russia, what's probably unfair, considering that this country become military base of Russia to attack Ukraine. For example, UEFA didn't banned Belarus national teams and clubs from their competitions.

decodx (OP)

🇺🇦 Glory to Ukraine!

View Profile
May 05, 2022, 10:21:45 AM
Merited by TopTort777 (1)

I don't think that vast majority of athletes still can compete under neutral flag. From main sports only tennis comes to my head. And still, not in every tournament, like they're already banned from Wimbledon. Maybe cycling too, I'm no sure.
They still can represent foreign sports teams in football, basketball, hockey and so on, but that's different thing.
From what I noticed, Belarus don't get such strict sanctions like Russia, what's probably unfair, considering that this country become military base of Russia to attack Ukraine. For example, UEFA didn't banned Belarus national teams and clubs from their competitions.

Yes, it seems that many teams and athletes have been banned from all competitions. Based on the news I have followed over the last few months, since the beginning of the Russian invasion, I was under the impression that most governing bodies and committees allow athletes to compete under neutral flags. It seems that this is no longer the case.

Here are some of the exceptions I've found:
  • The FIA said that Russian and Belarusian drivers could compete under the neutral "FIA flag."
  • The ITF Board announced players from Russia and Belarus will continue to be allowed to compete in international tennis events on Tour and at the Grand Slams. However, they will not compete under the name or flag of Russia or Belarus.
  • The International Swimming Federation (FINA) will allow Russian and Belarusian athletes to compete, but it will not be able to do so with their country's name or symbols and must compete as neutral athletes.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
LTU_btc
Legendary

Slava Ukraini!

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2022, 11:39:50 PM

There is possibility that in some sports Russian athletes will be able to compete again, despite that war continues. First, it's Table Tennis Champions League - yeah, I also didn't know that such competition exists. Russian clubs were reinstated to this competition after European Table Tennis Union (ETTU) Board of Appeal decision:
https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1122760/russia-mixed-ruling-ettu-teams
Similar decision month ago was made by International Luge Federation (FIL);
https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1121647/russia-successful-appeal-against-fil#comments
But probably it's not an end of story in both cases.

Gyfts
Legendary

Activity: 2758
Merit: 1512

View Profile
May 13, 2022, 02:42:41 PM

There is possibility that in some sports Russian athletes will be able to compete again, despite that war continues. First, it's Table Tennis Champions League - yeah, I also didn't know that such competition exists. Russian clubs were reinstated to this competition after European Table Tennis Union (ETTU) Board of Appeal decision:
https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1122760/russia-mixed-ruling-ettu-teams
Similar decision month ago was made by International Luge Federation (FIL);
https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1121647/russia-successful-appeal-against-fil#comments
But probably it's not an end of story in both cases.

Good. Banning Russian athletes doesn't do anything to stop war efforts. Seems the Russian army doesn't even support the war efforts, let alone athletes not involved in any way.

If the Olympics can be hosted in China, then the selective application of virtue signaling surely need not to apply to Russian athletes. After all, an unworthy war by Russia isn't too much worse than concentration camps of muslims by China. We don't punish the athletes for the actions of a country's government.
LTU_btc
Legendary

Slava Ukraini!

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2022, 09:33:30 PM

Good. Banning Russian athletes doesn't do anything to stop war efforts. Seems the Russian army doesn't even support the war efforts, let alone athletes not involved in any way.

If the Olympics can be hosted in China, then the selective application of virtue signaling surely need not to apply to Russian athletes. After all, an unworthy war by Russia isn't too much worse than concentration camps of muslims by China. We don't punish the athletes for the actions of a country's government.
I don't agree with you. Banning Russian atheltes won't stop war, but I think it's not ok to not react and act like nothing didn't happened. Especially when some their athletes support war and even participate in pro-Putin rallies
You also can say that average Russian people aren't responsible for war, but sanctions mostly affect them. I would call it as collective responsibilty. It's far from perfect solution, but nobody didn't offered better solution
And IMO, countries like China or Qatar shouldn't be allowed to held such competitions like Olympics or Wolrd Cup.

Gyfts
Legendary

Activity: 2758
Merit: 1512

View Profile
May 15, 2022, 03:39:07 AM

I don't agree with you. Banning Russian atheltes won't stop war, but I think it's not ok to not react and act like nothing didn't happened. Especially when some their athletes support war and even participate in pro-Putin rallies
You also can say that average Russian people aren't responsible for war, but sanctions mostly affect them. I would call it as collective responsibilty. It's far from perfect solution, but nobody didn't offered better solution
And IMO, countries like China or Qatar shouldn't be allowed to held such competitions like Olympics or Wolrd Cup.

I'm not a big fan of sanctions either to be clear. Putin isn't personally hurt by the sanctions. His oligarch billionaire friends are still doing well for themselves too. It's the middle and lower class Russians that pay the biggest price. There are plenty of Russians that don't agree with Putin and his war. If protests were allowed in Russia, I'd imagine there'd be more vocal dissent than what you're seeing. If an organization wanted to boot explicit pro-Putin athletes, then perhaps that would be more reasonable than punishing someone that has nothing to do with the invasion. Just my opinion.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  All
  Print  

Jump to: