Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:39:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Where are the thin clients?  (Read 1392 times)
JayCoin (OP)

Activity: 409
Merit: 251

Crypt'n Since 2011

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2011, 11:31:36 PM

Why hasn't anyone developed a Bitcoin thin client using bitcoinsharp or bitcoinj.  Is this in the works somewhere or do I don't know what I'm talkin about?

Hello There!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Blind

Activity: 235
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 11:54:15 PM

The one I know of is Electrum http://ecdsa.org/electrum/

Personally haven't tried it yet so can't speak if there are any issues with it, but is ugly as a sin on windows (uses GTK).

Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem. -- Ronald Reagan
finway

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 07, 2011, 02:55:35 AM

http://blockchain.info/wallet

The best thing of this online wallet is, it's stored on the server after encryption.

racerguy

Activity: 270
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 08, 2011, 01:03:58 PM

http://strongcoin.com
http://blockchain.info/wallet

you can backup your priv keys yourself so if the site disappears you still have your btc's
ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2011, 01:19:02 PM

The one I know of is Electrum http://ecdsa.org/electrum/

Personally haven't tried it yet so can't speak if there are any issues with it, but is ugly as a sin on windows (uses GTK).

hopefully Electrum will soon have a Qt gui

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
JayCoin (OP)

Crypt'n Since 2011

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2011, 09:28:02 PM

Don't you also need to point the electrum thin client to an electrum server?

Hello There!
Red Emerald

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2011, 09:32:15 PM

Don't you also need to point the electrum thin client to an electrum server?

I'm pretty sure all thin clients need to be pointed at a server.  Hence the "thin" part.  There are currently 2 public electrum servers up.  Electrum doesn't require giving the server your private keys though, so it is secure.

manderson

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 09, 2011, 07:42:04 AM

I think it is really dangerous to use any online bitcoin clients.
paybitcoin

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

1h79nc

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2011, 01:46:42 AM

There are risks involved with everything. If you understand the risk and trust the provider, they are no different than any other financial institution.

Thin clients definitely make sense for tons of situations. Just downloading and verifying the entire block chain can be a huge hassle for mobile and embedded devices.
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1130

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2011, 02:04:12 AM

Exactly what risk are you talking about for these clients?

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
December 11, 2011, 02:53:43 AM

Not sure if it technically fits the definition, but BitcoinSpinner is a very simple, working Android app that doesn't download the blockchain, but let's you view the balance of and send transactions from a single keypair (which is stored on the phone, not the server it connects to.)

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
JayCoin (OP)

Crypt'n Since 2011

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2011, 06:38:26 AM

The thin client I am referring to is the one Satoshi exemplifies in his Bitcoin paper.   

Hello There!
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
December 11, 2011, 03:05:27 PM

Yes but.. where are the online clients here?

libertytrader

Activity: 19

View Profile
December 13, 2011, 02:10:00 AM

What makes these clients "thin" and secure?
Gabi
Legendary

View Profile
December 13, 2011, 01:21:37 PM

Thin: it doesn't download the blockchain. It connect to a server and ask to it info about it.

It's secure cause it work like a normal client, it have it's wallet and the private keys and simply ask to the server info about the blocks and how many btc do your wallet have.

The wallet stay on your computer, the server NEVER see it, never require the private keys.

libertytrader

Activity: 19

View Profile
December 13, 2011, 08:26:12 PM

Thin: it doesn't download the blockchain. It connect to a server and ask to it info about it.

It's secure cause it work like a normal client, it have it's wallet and the private keys and simply ask to the server info about the blocks and how many btc do your wallet have.

The wallet stay on your computer, the server NEVER see it, never require the private keys.
Surprised they don't recommend thin client instead of official client. Downloading block chain takes forever...
Gabi
Legendary

View Profile
December 13, 2011, 08:30:18 PM
Last edit: December 13, 2011, 10:03:39 PM by Gabi

But it is fundamental to the survival of bitcoin.

Since bitcoin is a decentralized and peer 2 peer thing, it need as many nodes as possible relaying blocks and having the full blockchain

bithobo

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 13, 2011, 11:45:58 PM

Bitcoinspinner is awesome for street activity. You just have to remember to change wallets from time to time, depending on how paranoid you like to be

And, of course, keep the real program at home seeding Wink

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
0ni0ns

Activity: 40

View Profile
December 14, 2011, 12:04:15 AM

What happened to being able to trim down the block chain? I like the idea of having a client that doesn't rely on any server, but doesn't take up 2GB of space per copy.
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
December 14, 2011, 03:32:53 AM

What happened to being able to trim down the block chain? I like the idea of having a client that doesn't rely on any server, but doesn't take up 2GB of space per copy.

I think our digital wizards are still working on that... it'll be some time yet.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: