Bitcoin Forum
August 04, 2024, 02:18:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Securing Your Seed Phrase with Washers  (Read 6810 times)
larry_vw_1955

Activity: 1134
Merit: 446

View Profile
July 30, 2024, 03:05:53 AM

i'll rather go with mid-2000s minidv handheld camera which supports file transfer over firewire. As a bonus you can also have hour-long record of the screen with phrase. 20 years shelf life of a cassette where outer layers of tape protect inner ones

i dont know though. isn't dv files digital storage format so if a few bits gets corrupted maybe the entire file is unreadable. at least with vhs tape, that cant happen.
alexeyneu

Activity: 351
Merit: 37

View Profile
August 02, 2024, 06:10:30 AM

i'll rather go with mid-2000s minidv handheld camera which supports file transfer over firewire. As a bonus you can also have hour-long record of the screen with phrase. 20 years shelf life of a cassette where outer layers of tape protect inner ones

i dont know though. isn't dv files digital storage format so if a few bits gets corrupted maybe the entire file is unreadable. at least with vhs tape, that cant happen.
all headers within this mpeg2 (real format of minidv videos) is repeated so you'll lose half a second maximum. tool that transfers files works like dd so you can choose start position, count of blocks to read and block size , grab some blocks from the middle  put it into .mpeg and play it. there will be glitches at begin and end but you'll see all stuff.
larry_vw_1955

Activity: 1134
Merit: 446

View Profile
August 03, 2024, 04:10:30 AM

all headers within this mpeg2 (real format of minidv videos) is repeated so you'll lose half a second maximum. tool that transfers files works like dd so you can choose start position, count of blocks to read and block size , grab some blocks from the middle  put it into .mpeg and play it. there will be glitches at begin and end but you'll see all stuff.

cool. that's definitely a less difficult way to store your private keys. and it's foolproof since you're not transcribing anything from one medium to another. i think even normal cassette tape and a tape recorder if you don't mind speaking the seed phrase would work just fine. i have never heard of audio cassette tape going bad in 20 years. i think it can last forever pretty much. these are ways that are way simpler than having to get specialized equipment and undergo a very tediuous and time consuming process. but to each their own  Shocked
m2017
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1378

keep walking, Johnnie

View Profile
August 03, 2024, 04:21:26 PM

cool. that's definitely a less difficult way to store your private keys. and it's foolproof since you're not transcribing anything from one medium to another. i think even normal cassette tape and a tape recorder if you don't mind speaking the seed phrase would work just fine. i have never heard of audio cassette tape going bad in 20 years. i think it can last forever pretty much. these are ways that are way simpler than having to get specialized equipment and undergo a very tediuous and time consuming process. but to each their own  Shocked
But I have a completely opposite experience and can safely say that I have seen audio cassettes become unplayable after a long time. Even if these cassettes were simply lying around and not touched. You see, magnetic tape has the property of demagnetization.

I am inclined to believe that there is nothing safer in terms of preservation than solid storage media. At a minimum, paper and a pencil, at most - a piece of metal and an engraver (or similar).

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████████████████████████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███