Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 02:47:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Internet Archive (Home of the Wayback Machine) Accepting Bitcoin Donations!  (Read 11556 times)
Obsi (OP)

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 07, 2011, 11:38:21 PM

Thanks to comments left on this blog post

http://blog.archive.org/2011/12/07/please-donate-to-the-internet-archive/

They have set up a donation address. The address I received in an email from june (at) archive.org is

17gN64BPHtxi4mEM3qWrxdwhieUvRq8R2r

I will email her to update the post with the bitcoin donation address, or you can check with her for verification.

Let's show them how much we appreciate all the great work they do & that accepting bitcoin is a fantastic way to supplement their fundraising.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Revalin

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g

View Profile
December 08, 2011, 12:07:33 AM

Woot!  I'll send some bits their way once the address is confirmed on their site.  Smiley

They run a fantastic and important service.  I encourage others to donate to this one.

War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.  --Ambrose Bierce
Bitcoin is the Devil's way of teaching geeks economics.  --Revalin 165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2011, 12:24:42 AM

I will donate if it is placed on the archive.org donate page along with paypal, not just on a blog post only.  5 BTC pledged here.

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 08, 2011, 12:28:59 AM

I will donate if it is placed on the archive.org donate page along with paypal, not just on a blog post only.  5 BTC pledged here.
Yeah.  I've learned to not trust people here by default.  It could be Obsi's address!  Be careful until they have something official on their website.
CoinLab

Activity: 270
Merit: 250

1CoinLabF5Avpp5kor41ngn7prTFMMHFVc

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2011, 12:30:18 AM

I will also donate once it is on their donate page
Obsi (OP)

View Profile
December 08, 2011, 12:33:01 AM

Yeah.  I've learned to not trust people here by default.  It could be Obsi's address!  Be careful until they have something official on their website.

Which is why I suggested confirming with her first. I have also left them a message to post it on the donate page, hopefully they will soon.
CoinLab

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2011, 12:43:18 AM

I also sent an email to june. I'll update when I get a response.
PrintCoins

Activity: 533
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 08, 2011, 12:56:44 AM

Which is why I suggested confirming with her first. I have also left them a message to post it on the donate page, hopefully they will soon.

I posted this in their comments section:

---
Go here:
https://www.bitaddress.org

Publish the public address on your website. Keep the private address super secret.

Type your public address into http://blockexplorer.com/
to check your balance. When you make enough that you want to turn it into $, go to mtgox, import your private key, and set up a bank account for them to transfer money to.

Revalin

View Profile
December 08, 2011, 12:57:29 AM

In case anyone at the Archive is reading and wondering why we're such a paranoid lot:

Bitcoins are a little different from other online currencies where charges can be reversed in case of a scam.  Bitcoins are like cash - once you give it to someone, it's theirs.  That's both good (Things like this don't happen with Bitcoins) and bad (we have to do our own diligence).

Bitcoin is the Devil's way of teaching geeks economics.  --Revalin 165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 08, 2011, 01:05:38 AM

In case anyone at the Archive is reading and wondering why we're such a paranoid lot:

Bitcoins are a little different from other online currencies where charges can be reversed in case of a scam.  Bitcoins are like cash - once you give it to someone, it's theirs.  That's both good (Things like this don't happen with Bitcoins) and bad (we have to do our own diligence).

Wow.  That's the worst Paypal story yet.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
fornit

Activity: 991
Merit: 1008

View Profile
December 08, 2011, 04:04:22 AM

Wow.  That's the worst Paypal story yet.

qft!

that is one hardcore story. lesson: dont give christmas presents to kids, give christmas presents to the sick cats of kids - because its a worthy cause!
freequant

Activity: 770

View Profile
December 08, 2011, 05:09:15 AM

I pledge 5 BTC once the address is on their donation page.
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 08, 2011, 06:41:59 PM

I too will donate few BTC once they put their bitcoin address out on their website
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2011, 06:45:30 PM

I'm in for 1. I've used their site many of times. Will watch this thread and their site for confirmation of the address.

Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2011, 06:54:16 PM

I will also donate something once the donation address is up.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
Harvey

Activity: 28

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2011, 06:55:09 PM
Last edit: December 08, 2011, 07:09:40 PM by Harvey

I applaud the founder for being so open-minded to all donation methods. If you need funding, you might as well be open to everything you can get. A rational man, indeed.
gnar1ta$
Donator

Activity: 798

View Profile
December 08, 2011, 09:03:58 PM

I'm in for 1. I've used their site many of times. Will watch this thread and their site for confirmation of the address.

Maybe we need a project like the Bitcoin100 for non-charity projects like this, and wikipedia, and tor.  Or include them in the Bitcoin100?

Losing hundreds of Bitcoins with the best scammers in the business - BFL, Avalon, KNC, HashFast.
Harvey

Activity: 28

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2011, 09:10:07 PM

I consider any business that creates wealth for society as charity. This is a charity in my book.
Obsi (OP)

View Profile
December 08, 2011, 09:12:07 PM

Maybe we need a project like the Bitcoin100 for non-charity projects like this, and wikipedia, and tor.  Or include them in the Bitcoin100?

I would say include them. They help the world community at large and The Internet Archive is a 501c3 non-profit according to the comments on that blog post (meaning donations are tax-deductible in the USA).

I'm not sure why they haven't listed their bitcoin address on the page yet. Perhaps they are still getting up to speed on how bitcoin works, but they've already got 37 btc donated and at least a few tens more pledged in this thread.
CoinLab

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2011, 11:54:24 PM

June responded with the same btc address as Obsi posted.
Hi Chris,

Here is our bitcoin donation site.

Thank you for the information, I will get it up today!

Should be on the donate page by the end of the day! (Hopefully)
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
December 09, 2011, 12:30:19 AM

I'll donate once there's a link on their site.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2011, 04:48:35 AM

Maybe we need a project like the Bitcoin100 for non-charity projects like this, and wikipedia, and tor.  Or include them in the Bitcoin100?

Of course we can. Wanting Wikipedia to embed a Bitcoin donation option, then their rejection, is why I started brainstorming Bitcoin100 in the first place. I was able to put a lot of thought into the idea because, quite frankly, theymos gave me a 7 day vacation from here. I was a bad, bad boy, and Nikki the Bitch didn't help matters, either.  Grin

Now back to archive.org. What would a vanity address look like if one were created for them? And if one were created for them and given to them with the password, would they be able to change the password once they take over the address?

Thoughts?
notme
Legendary

View Profile
December 09, 2011, 05:54:48 AM

Pretty sure the password just encrypts the private key.  The private key can't be changed without changing the receiving address.

freequant

View Profile
December 09, 2011, 08:08:52 AM

If we can find a agreement with bit-pay whereby they wouldn't charge any fees to non-profit organizations, we should recommand them to use bit-pay. Atm, Bitcoin is way too geeky for your average organization. We would get a much better conversion rate with a payment solution that looks and feels like what they are used to.
gnar1ta$
Donator

View Profile
December 09, 2011, 03:44:39 PM

If we can find a agreement with bit-pay whereby they wouldn't charge any fees to non-profit organizations, we should recommand them to use bit-pay. Atm, Bitcoin is way too geeky for your average organization. We would get a much better conversion rate with a payment solution that looks and feels like what they are used to.

+1
And I don't think they charge for non-profits...

For Eligible US Organizations
If your organization is registered with the IRS Publication 78, Bit-pay will process the bitcoin payments at NO CHARGE.

http://www.irs.gov/app/pub-78/

You must be on the IRS Pub78 list (eligible to receive tax-deductible donations) to qualify for the no-charge processing.

I also don't see a Bitcoin donation button yet.  Has anyone e-mailed them?

Losing hundreds of Bitcoins with the best scammers in the business - BFL, Avalon, KNC, HashFast.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
December 09, 2011, 04:16:38 PM

I'm in. Smiley
For those not familiar with the way back machine, it is a great tool for finding old internet content.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2011, 02:35:37 AM

I'm in. Smiley
For those not familiar with the way back machine, it is a great tool for finding old internet content.

Like reading content on old websites that's no longer online, penned by know fraudsters. I'm just saying!
Dansker

Activity: 740

Hello world!

View Profile
December 10, 2011, 03:56:43 PM

Let's see it on the page first...

LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2011, 06:17:35 AM

Definitely will donate to their site. I use their service regularly. Waiting for the address to show up on their site.

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
sadpandatech

Activity: 504

View Profile
December 11, 2011, 06:46:55 AM

Definitely will donate to their site. I use their service regularly. Waiting for the address to show up on their site.

same here.

Maybe we should send them the link to this thread to encourage them to take action on their words.  Forgive my poor reading abilities if this was addressed. But, was it verified that the person offering to accept BTC at IA-WB is in a posistion to do so?

Cheers

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
CoinLab

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2011, 06:18:06 PM

Internet Archive has added a link to their bitcoin address on their donate page:
http://www.archive.org/donate/index.php

In the bottom center of the page, there is a link "Our Bitcoin Address," which links to an anchor tag in the middle of their FAQ.

From http://www.archive.org/about/faqs.php#311 :
Can I donate BitCoins?

Yes, please do. Our BitCoin address is: 17gN64BPHtxi4mEM3qWrxdwhieUvRq8R2r . Every bit helps.

Don't trust me though, copy their address off of their site yourself!

Thanks Internet Archive!

Now it's our turn. Let's fill their wallet!
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
December 12, 2011, 06:23:19 PM

"Every bit helps"

Cheesy
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2011, 06:32:12 PM

I just sent my pledged 1 BTC, as promised, prior to penning this post.

Great work, all.

~Bruno~
gnar1ta$
Donator

View Profile
December 12, 2011, 07:06:50 PM

Well I didn't fill it, but I sent 1 to their wallet.

SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
December 12, 2011, 07:55:44 PM

Well I didn't fill it, but I sent 1 to their wallet.
Could have sent it as 10,000,000 satoshis in individual transactions, that would have filled it pretty quick!
epetroel

Activity: 431
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 12, 2011, 08:27:26 PM

Just sent them a couple BTC.  Glad to see them adding this!
Technomage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2011, 10:14:50 PM

I have to say that I'll break my pledge at this time meaning that I am not donating a satoshi until my concerns are noted. I'm extremely unhappy with the positioning of that Bitcoin donation link, it's not up there with the other donation methods. I would have NEVER found it if I wasn't explicitly looking for it. I'm sorry to be this negative but I'm genuinely pissed about this.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
BTCurious

Activity: 714
Merit: 504

^SEM img of Si wafer edge, scanned 2012-3-12.

View Profile
December 12, 2011, 10:44:31 PM

Uhm, at the bottom of the donation page it says "Our Bitcoin Address", with a link to the mentioned FAQ entry.
So it is in fact on the donation page.

Obsi (OP)

View Profile
December 12, 2011, 11:24:43 PM

I have to say that I'll break my pledge at this time meaning that I am not donating a satoshi until my concerns are noted. I'm extremely unhappy with the positioning of that Bitcoin donation link, it's not up there with the other donation methods. I would have NEVER found it if I wasn't explicitly looking for it. I'm sorry to be this negative but I'm genuinely pissed about this.

And how much were you pledging exactly?
tetra4c

Activity: 19

View Profile
December 12, 2011, 11:36:15 PM

I wonder if it (or google cache) has a copy of:

https://www.dwolla.com/dialogs/terms_and_conditions.aspx

BEFORE July 27th when they changed it.

Do any forum members have a copy of the Dwolla TOS before July 27th?

Cheers!
Technomage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2011, 11:37:57 PM

How is that relevant exactly? I don't care if the amount is too insignificant for my opinion to matter. But I think that placing the Bitcoin donation link to an almost invisible location is an outrage, honestly. No one is going to notice, no one is going to care.

SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
December 12, 2011, 11:47:12 PM

I wonder if it (or google cache) has a copy of:

https://www.dwolla.com/dialogs/terms_and_conditions.aspx

BEFORE July 27th when they changed it.

Do any forum members have a copy of the Dwolla TOS before July 27th?

Cheers!
They don't seem to.... in fact, they don't have a record of that page at all!  Maybe they don't archive pages that must be accessed via a secured connection?

http://liveweb.archive.org/https://www.dwolla.com/dialogs/terms_and_conditions.aspx
CoinLab

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2011, 11:59:53 PM

How is that relevant exactly? I don't care if the amount is too insignificant for my opinion to matter. But I think that placing the Bitcoin donation link to an almost invisible location is an outrage, honestly. No one is going to notice, no one is going to care.

The Internet Archive is an established organization with good reputation.  In one day, they set up a Bitcoin account and emailed back their address.  Within two days, they had their address on their FAQ.  If you want to email them to help them improve placement to maximize the number of Bitcoin donations they receive, I fully support you. 

They were prompt and responsive to my email.  They are new at this.  Bitcoin is confusing.  Cut them some slack. 

The link to the BTC address is not in a prominent location, probably because they aren't sure how much money they will be able to raise with it.  BTC addresses are ugly, and a novel concept to understand.

I think your being "genuinely pissed" is childish and laughable. If you want them to move the link, you shouldn't cancel your pledge, you should pledge more! (and email them polite suggestions)  They will want to feature their BTC address prominently if they are earning a comparable amount from BTC as from justgive.org and PayPal.  If they only get pocket change, they will think of it as a hassle and a waste of time. 

Please, do not lash out at charitable organizations.  We want Bitcoin to have a positive reputation.
N.Olmos

Activity: 162
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 13, 2011, 12:27:06 AM

This is the latest snapshot for terms-of-use that I could find:

OCTOBER 23, 2010
1 snapshot
20:50:53
http://web.archive.org/web/20101023205053/http://www.dwolla.org/help/terms-of-use/

This is the latest snapshot for dwolla.com that is available. Fees/General Information/Terms of Use leads back the the June 25th, 2010 document.

JULY 20, 2011
2 snapshots
13:05:51
13:06:41
http://web.archive.org/web/20110720130641/https://www.dwolla.com/default.aspx

n.olmos

Refer friends and earn 25%!

http://offers.coinad.com/?r=3
notme
Legendary

View Profile
December 13, 2011, 12:34:40 AM

The Internet Archive is an established organization with good reputation.  In one day, they set up a Bitcoin account and emailed back their address.  Within two days, they had their address on their FAQ.  If you want to email them to help them improve placement to maximize the number of Bitcoin donations they receive, I fully support you. 

They were prompt and responsive to my email.  They are new at this.  Bitcoin is confusing.  Cut them some slack. 

The link to the BTC address is not in a prominent location, probably because they aren't sure how much money they will be able to raise with it.  BTC addresses are ugly, and a novel concept to understand.

I think your being "genuinely pissed" is childish and laughable. If you want them to move the link, you shouldn't cancel your pledge, you should pledge more! (and email them polite suggestions)  They will want to feature their BTC address prominently if they are earning a comparable amount from BTC as from justgive.org and PayPal.  If they only get pocket change, they will think of it as a hassle and a waste of time. 

Please, do not lash out at charitable organizations.  We want Bitcoin to have a positive reputation.

+1

SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
December 13, 2011, 01:02:11 AM

I think childish and laughable aptly describes the response from Technomage.  Well put.
teukon
Legendary

Activity: 1246

View Profile
December 13, 2011, 01:21:21 AM

Truly awesome!  archive.org is something I've used a lot and actually tried to donate to on several occasions but I always ran into difficulties and gave.  Now I can finally donate to this worthy cause with ease!

25 BTC sent.
BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2011, 01:49:14 AM

Sent a little bit since I think what they do is cool, but I don't use it much.

BeeCee1

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 13, 2011, 02:50:15 AM

The purpose of the Internet Archive isn't to publicize bitcoin, it is "universal access to all knowledge".  Their accepting bitcoin is great, breaking your pledge because they don't position it as prominently as paypal seems rather petty.
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
December 13, 2011, 03:00:18 AM

i'm glad that they confirmed their "bitcoin site" on their archive site; that's all that mattered really.
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2011, 03:38:59 AM

Glad they confirmed it.  I wish it was a more obvious space on the page but it is what it is.  I just donated, I have found archive.org to be useful a number of times!

nmat

Activity: 602

View Profile
December 13, 2011, 04:20:59 AM

Apparently they are registered with the IRS Publication 78 (whatever that is), so bit-pay could process their payments for free. Everytime I donate bitcoins I am afraid that the owner will only cash them a month from now and that he will only get half of what I donated...
beckspace

Activity: 931

View Profile
December 13, 2011, 05:23:15 AM

Great service, definitely worth it!

I like the "Every bit helps" as donation motto.
finway

View Profile
December 13, 2011, 08:38:34 AM

This is a huge site.

Technomage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2011, 11:20:57 AM

I'm not lashing out at them, I'm simply stating my opinion on this forum. I have absolute zero interest in donating to this particular organization for other reasons than the publicity Bitcoin gets from this. When you take that reason away, my donation goes away. Period. It's just that simple. I don't see how this is childish.

If the person who made this happen in the first place can't ask them about the crappy positioning, I will ask them myself. But I was thinking that it would make sense if the same person did it who has been in contact with them before.

And one more note, I'm going to donate more than I originally intentioned if they actually change the position of the donation link. That would really show that they are interested in Bitcoin.

Revalin

View Profile
December 13, 2011, 11:40:21 AM

I try to be grateful for what I am given.  Being "genuinely pissed" because it's not your perfect lollipop just comes off as spoiled.

I think the page could be arranged better, but as it stands it's already a great benefit for everyone.

CoinLab

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2011, 12:03:14 PM

If the person who made this happen in the first place can't ask them about the crappy positioning, I will ask them myself. But I was thinking that it would make sense if the same person did it who has been in contact with them before.

And one more note, I'm going to donate more than I originally intentioned if they actually change the position of the donation link. That would really show that they are interested in Bitcoin.
You are right.

In my last email reply, after thanking them for posting the address, I asked for the BTC address to be posted directly on the donate page, with a label.  

However, if more people email them with their comments on the placement, as well as their enthusiasm to donate, they might be motivated to improve the placement sooner.

Let's keep the conversation positive. 

I like the "Every bit helps" as donation motto.

This is great.
payb.tc

Activity: 812

View Profile
December 13, 2011, 12:04:40 PM

smallest donation value so far: $0.16 Smiley

it's so awesome that donating such an amount over the net is possible.

i wonder how much the banks would charge to do that.

anyway sent mine... they're up to 183 btc now.
teukon
Legendary

View Profile
December 13, 2011, 12:26:24 PM

I'm in agreement with Technomage on this one.

1) If you wanted to donate to archive.org anyway but would prefer bitcoins and are holding funds back because of crappy positioning you are being petty.

2) If you are donating to charities and organisations which take the time and effort to add a Bitcoin donation option simply because you want to promote Bitcoin then I feel withholding funds is justified.

Rather than arguing it would be good to try and work out how much archive.org would receive for repositioning it's Bitcoin donation option appropriately?  Also, are there people who are worried that archive.org may have rushed into this without thinking properly and shortly have to remove their donation link for legal reasons and consequently are holding back their donation for a month or so?
teukon
Legendary

View Profile
December 13, 2011, 12:34:22 PM

smallest donation value so far: $0.16 Smiley

it's so awesome that donating such an amount over the net is possible.

i wonder how much the banks would charge to do that.

anyway sent mine... they're up to 183 btc now.

Yes, this is going very well.  I don't know much about fees but which payment processors charge a fee for donating money and how much?  Is anyone able to make a reasonable estimate to the amout of purchasing power which has been saved by using Bitcoin rather than, say, PayPal?  How about currency conversion? (I'm not from the US at least).
Revalin

View Profile
December 13, 2011, 02:34:47 PM

(first post)

Agreed on all points.  Sorry for the sidetrack.

I don't know much about fees but which payment processors charge a fee for donating money and how much?

Visa / Mastercard are roughly 2-4% + $0.30 for card-not-present (over the internet).  They don't care if you're a nonprofit, but if you're doing very large volume they can knock it down a little.  There are also fees for setup ($100-300), gateway ($15-30 per month), statements ($10), and chargebacks will cost you dearly.

Amex is 3.5-7%, though the nickel-and-dime fees are lower.

Paypal's rate is 2.2% + $0.30 for qualifying nonprofits.

Currency conversion runs around 3% and is paid by the buyer, not the merchant.

Technomage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2011, 02:34:54 PM

You are right.

In my last email reply, after thanking them for posting the address, I asked for the BTC address to be posted directly on the donate page, with a label.  

However, if more people email them with their comments on the placement, as well as their enthusiasm to donate, they might be motivated to improve the placement sooner.

I agree. The way my browser window is set up, I can't even see the donation link without scrolling the page! I can see the other donation methods just fine though. I'm not being unreasonable here, the positioning is extremely bad. It's a good point that more people should point this out, that it was difficult to even see it. I will email the archive today.

niko

Activity: 756

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
December 13, 2011, 03:18:26 PM

This is great, I'm sending three days worth of my mining income. Hope they would be able to spend those coins directly rather than exchanging them for fiat.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
freequant

View Profile
December 13, 2011, 04:27:47 PM

I pledge 5 BTC once the address is on their donation page.

Sent 5 BTC.
Current donation to this address : 222 BTC an growing
jago25_98

Activity: 900

Crypto Geek

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2011, 06:46:08 PM

I wrote a letter my snailmail to them a month ago... seems they've taken it to heart!
Great!

Bitcoiner since the early days. Crypto YouTube Channel: Trading Nomads | Analyst | News Reporter | Bitcoin Hodler | Support Freedom of Speech!
CoinLab

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2011, 10:17:52 PM

http://blockexplorer.com/address/17gN64BPHtxi4mEM3qWrxdwhieUvRq8R2r
According to Blockexplorer at the time of this post, 252BTC has been donated so far.  (USD value ~$806)

This means we are about 60BTC away from donating $1000 worth of bitcoin!

I propose we set raising $1000 by the end of the week as a goal.

First, because Internet Archive is a great non-profit.

Second, because $1000 sounds like a lot more than $900.  

I think if we can show that we can raise over $1000 in a week, this story becomes newsworthy.  If we can get news articles written about the Bitcoin100 (and Bitcoin charitable giving in general), many charities will see what we have accomplished and think about setting up their own bitcoin address.

I am sending another 3.XXBTC now, cleaning out my mobile phone wallet.  

Lets break $1000!
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 14, 2011, 02:30:00 AM

You are right.

I agree. The way my browser window is set up, I can't even see the donation link without scrolling the page! I can see the other donation methods just fine though. I'm not being unreasonable here, the positioning is extremely bad. It's a good point that more people should point this out, that it was difficult to even see it. I will email the archive today.

They've moved it up now. Nice Smiley

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
dancupid

Activity: 955

View Profile
December 14, 2011, 04:02:34 AM

According to Blockexplorer at the time of this post, 252BTC has been donated so far.  (USD value ~$806)

This means we are about 60BTC away from donating $1000 worth of bitcoin!

I propose we set raising $1000 by the end of the week as a goal.

First, because Internet Archive is a great non-profit.

Second, because $1000 sounds like a lot more than $900.  

I think if we can show that we can raise over $1000 in a week, this story becomes newsworthy.  If we can get news articles written about the Bitcoin100 (and Bitcoin charitable giving in general), many charities will see what we have accomplished and think about setting up their own bitcoin address.

I am sending another 3.XXBTC now, cleaning out my mobile phone wallet.  

Lets break $1000!

It's already happened. $2000 need to be the next goal. (I hope they backed up their wallet though or know what they are doing - I'd hate the story to turn sour)
Revalin

View Profile
December 14, 2011, 04:08:44 AM

Yes, I would like to see them move some of this soon, just to make sure they have everything working.

This is a pretty amazing turnout for the couple days it's been up!  It's great to see so many coins going to a good cause.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2011, 04:34:49 AM

Please forgive me if I'm slightly posting off topic. I have a thread with a poll here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54414.0 discussing Bitcoin100 and archive.org. I believe this information is relative to this thread. Again, my apologies if I'm off base. Thank you.

~Bruno~
freequant

View Profile
December 14, 2011, 05:04:56 AM

You are right.

They've moved it up now. Nice Smiley

Why don't they simply add the Bitcoin address to the donation page?
That would avoid having to go read the FAQ to know how to donate.
A Bitcoin logo would help too.
tiberiandusk

Activity: 575

The North Remembers

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2011, 05:17:12 AM

I sent them .50 BTC. I am poor.

Bitcoin Auction House http://www.BitBid.net BTC - 1EwfBVC6BwA6YeqcYZmm3htwykK3MStW6N | LTC - LdBpJJHj4WSAsUqaTbwyJQFiG1tVjo4Uys Don't get Goxed.
payb.tc

Activity: 812

View Profile
December 14, 2011, 05:22:03 AM

Why don't they simply add the Bitcoin address to the donation page?

because to most people, random strings of 33 characters look ugly.

most qr codes are pretty ugly too for that matter.
BTCurious

View Profile
December 14, 2011, 09:57:22 AM

They don't really do fancy web features, do they? A bitcoin button that pops up a div with a QR and a code would be nice.

sadpandatech

View Profile
December 14, 2011, 12:17:55 PM

They don't really do fancy web features, do they? A bitcoin button that pops up a div with a QR and a code would be nice.

If a button to use bit-pay or some such is not available then even a button that just copied the address to the clipboard would be nice. Maybe have it displayed in a smal [bitaddyhere] pop out at the same time just to show it, would work also.

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

wareen
Millionaire
Legendary

Activity: 910

Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data

View Profile
December 14, 2011, 12:39:57 PM
Last edit: December 14, 2011, 01:45:56 PM by wareen

They don't really do fancy web features, do they?

If your job was to make a browseable archive of the whole web, you probably wouldn't be too fond of some of those fancy web features either Wink

▄▄▀▀▄▄
    ▄▄▀▀▄▄██▄▄▀▀▄▄
▄▄▀▀▄▄█████▄████▄▄▀▀▄▄
█▀▀█▄█████████████
█▄▄████▀   ▀██████
███████     █▄████
█████▀█▄   ▄██████
█▄█████▌   ▐█████
█████▀█     ██████
██▄███████████████
▀▀▄▄▀▀█████▀████▀▀▄▄▀▀
    ▀▀▄▄▀▀██▀▀▄▄▀▀
        ▀▀▄▄▀▀
.PDATA..
TOKEN..
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
TELEGRAM     BITCOINTALK     FACEBOOK
MEDIUM    SLACK    TWITTER    YOUTUBE
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   E M A I L   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
Technomage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2011, 01:19:40 PM

Wow they changed the link location! I was originally planning to donate 1 BTC but thanks to their continued effort to support Bitcoin I will donate 5 BTC. We will also probably reconsider using Bitcoin100 to donate even more to them.

BitcoinPorn

Activity: 630

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2011, 01:39:32 PM

This is a huge step toward greater acceptance.  Archive.org and not only their history, but influence among other websites in general, so good.  As long as I have been into Bitcoin, this is one of the larger strides I have seen made.

BTCurious

View Profile
December 14, 2011, 01:57:56 PM

I checked out this flattr thingey that was suggested in archive.org's blog's comments.

How does it work?
Pick how much you’d like to spend per month, for example €3. Then, whenever you see a Flattr button on a blog or website that you like, click it.

We count up all of your clicks at the end of each month and distribute your monthly spend between everything you’ve clicked on.
Funny idea.

Users are able to pay a small amount every month (minimum 2 euros) and then click Flattr buttons [etc]
In the beginning of the service Flattr itself takes 10% of all the users monthly flatrate, although this fee may be reduced at a later date if the economics permit it.
Expensive stuff.

BitcoinPorn

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2011, 02:00:59 PM

I checked out this flattr thingey that was suggested in archive.org's blog's comments.

Support the Bitcoin like flattr service that has been around for quite a while, offers buying Bitcoin with Paypal, and so much more https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2877.0

CoinLab

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2011, 05:34:39 PM

Internet Archive has received 345BTC, valued currently over $1100!!!
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2011, 05:41:55 PM

Internet Archive has received 345BTC, valued currently over $1100!!!

wooow  Cheesy and they didn't spend even 1 satoshi

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
gregwtmtno

Activity: 77

View Profile
December 14, 2011, 06:06:27 PM

It would be nice if they could spend the money as bitcoins. I'd imagine they could probably use it to buy some stuff at memory dealers for their serves. Does anyone know if there's anyone offering office supplies for bitcoin? It's not glamorous, but I'd imagine almost every charity that accepts bitcoins would need office supplies of some sort.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
December 14, 2011, 06:56:05 PM

Are we sure that that bitcoin address is of internet archive and not a scam?

Dansker

Activity: 740

Hello world!

View Profile
December 14, 2011, 07:12:28 PM

It was confirmed on their website, so yes: http://www.archive.org/about/faqs.php#311

Revalin

View Profile
December 14, 2011, 07:14:13 PM

It's up on their donations page, so unless they're hacked, it's real.

We also have contact through Obsi, though with due respect, he's new.

Does anyone know if there's anyone offering office supplies for bitcoin?

Please don't evangelize them to death, guys.  Look at it from their side - they wanted to add a new way to accept payments that some people were asking for.  We're currency geeks, but they're not, and they didn't get into this looking for new ways to purchase their office supplies.  They know Bitcoin exists now, and these guys are probably pretty good at finding things on the internet.  They have several copies of it, after all.  Smiley  When they want to know more the information is widely available, and they'll find it.

Until then nagging them will only turn them off, so please just thank them for making it easy to donate and leave it at that.

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
December 14, 2011, 07:15:42 PM

It's up on their donations page, so unless they're hacked, it's real.

We also have contact through Obsi, though with due respect, he's new.

You are right. Sorry, my fault, i didn't notice they put the bitcoin address on the website

CoinLab

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2011, 07:34:33 PM

Also, for those who expressed concern, they have moved the link to the BTC address to directly under paypal.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2011, 08:12:01 PM

It would be nice if they could spend the money as bitcoins. I'd imagine they could probably use it to buy some stuff at memory dealers for their serves. Does anyone know if there's anyone offering office supplies for bitcoin? It's not glamorous, but I'd imagine almost every charity that accepts bitcoins would need office supplies of some sort.

Or even just coffee for their office(s): http://bitbrew.net/
sadpandatech

View Profile
December 14, 2011, 08:17:01 PM
Last edit: December 15, 2011, 12:05:29 PM by sadpandatech

If we wanted to help get the brain juices flowing for them and future acceptors of Bitcoin. One sure fire way would be to send a gift bag of coffee, or other things purchased with Bitcoins and of course note on the card that they were purchased directly with Bitcoins. A good gesture and a passive suggestion that may just get their attention some more.

Cheers

- GA

julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
December 15, 2011, 12:02:41 AM

If we wanted to help get the brain juices flowing for them and future acceptors of Bitcoin, one sure fire way would be to send a gift bag of coffee, or other things purchased with Bitcoins and of course note on the card that they were purchased directly with Bitcoins. A good gesture and a passive suggestion that may just get their attention some more.

Cheers

+1
I really like this idea. Support bitcoin merchants at the same time. Great!

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
December 15, 2011, 12:08:49 AM

If we wanted to help get the brain juices flowing for them and future acceptors of Bitcoin, one sure fire way would be to send a gift bag of coffee, or other things purchased with Bitcoins and of course note on the card that they were purchased directly with Bitcoins. A good gesture and a passive suggestion that may just get their attention some more.

Cheers

+1
So... do it!  Have a bag or three drop-shipped from bitbrew straight to the guys working there.  Wink
tiberiandusk

Activity: 575

The North Remembers

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2011, 01:11:35 AM

SETI is asking for donations. It would be awesome to get them to accept Bitcoin, too.

Bitcoin Auction House http://www.BitBid.net BTC - 1EwfBVC6BwA6YeqcYZmm3htwykK3MStW6N | LTC - LdBpJJHj4WSAsUqaTbwyJQFiG1tVjo4Uys Don't get Goxed.
sadpandatech

View Profile
December 15, 2011, 01:22:01 AM

SETI is asking for donations. It would be awesome to get them to accept Bitcoin, too.
I agree. Cool https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=50164.0

Cheers

+1
So... do it
!  Have a bag or three drop-shipped from bitbrew straight to the guys working there.  Wink

I certainly agree and will be happy to do so. Sadly, I have spent my small 'fortune' of Bitcoins lately to buy hardware with Bitcoins to repair my small mining farm.  Any ideas on a way to fund a small 'thank you' care package for Archive.org?  I can put 1BTC towards it. We would want to make sure we attached a card to it that thanked them for their open minded addition of Bitcoins as a donation option. And suggesting they please accept the community's personal token of appreciation. And as a note, these items were purchased with Bitcoins from established businesses that have the forsight to accept them in exchange for their goods.

Cheers

- GA

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2011, 03:30:17 AM

Cheers

+1
So... do it!  Have a bag or three drop-shipped from bitbrew straight to the guys working there.  Wink

Most major charitable organizations have a central office. An office with coffee drinkers. Coffee paid for possibly out of donated dollars. If they're able to just buy coffee with Bitcoin, the money not spent there would be used toward their intended goals. Think about it!
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2011, 04:54:31 AM

Cheers

+1

Most major charitable organizations have a central office. An office with coffee drinkers. Coffee paid for possibly out of donated dollars. If they're able to just buy coffee with Bitcoin, the money not spent there would be used toward their intended goals. Think about it!

I think this is a great idea. We can organize it similarly to the Bitcoin 100 pledge drive. I can publicly post a bitcoin address and anyone willing to donate a small amount to purchase coffee for archive.org may do so. After a certain amount of time has passed, I'll use the funds to purchase a variety of my most popular brews, throw in a bag of decaf and maybe some tea leaves at my expense, and send them off to archive.org with a tasteful card that reads, "From your friends and supporters in the Bitcoin Community. (This coffee was bought with bitcoins!)".

I'll also include a personal letter from me, offering a 10% discount on all future purchases for the archive.org offices. Fair warning, however: I offer a premium product - mostly fair trade and organic coffees, and even if I offered it to them at cost, it might still be more fiscally prudent for them to continue buying their office coffee from the local supermarket or warehouse store.

Still around.
sadpandatech

View Profile
December 15, 2011, 04:59:02 AM

^^  I like it. Where to send some funds? I pledge 1 BTC

Cheers

- GA

edd
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2011, 05:12:24 AM

Cheers

Here's you go: 1BjFzL2TTukjn76YuDZbVPWJMmhypBJjfG

View total to date: http://blockexplorer.com/address/1BjFzL2TTukjn76YuDZbVPWJMmhypBJjfG

Hmmm, this might also be a good way to intrigue charities when approaching on behalf of the Bitcoin 100; I'd be willing to donate a bag of coffee to send with a simple letter reiterating what bitcoin is and how quickly its economy is growing.

Still around.
sadpandatech

View Profile
December 15, 2011, 05:26:55 AM

^^  I like it. Where to send some funds? I pledge 1 BTC

Cheers

View total to date: http://blockexplorer.com/address/1BjFzL2TTukjn76YuDZbVPWJMmhypBJjfG

Hmmm, this might also be a good way to intrigue charities when approaching on behalf of the Bitcoin 100; I'd be willing to donate a bag of coffee to send with a simple letter reiterating what bitcoin is and how quickly its economy is growing.
 Rock on, may have to wait and send it when I wake up. Just initiated a withdrawal.  Maybe we have to start a new thread, "Thank You Gift Basket for Internet Archive.org"? or some such.

I agree it is nice to send gifts but I think they are more meaningful if saved for the follow up rather than the approach. Edit; though the approach with a Bitcoin purchased gift would be excellent for non charities we want to raise awareness of Bitcoin with..

Cheers,
   Derek

- GA

freequant

View Profile
December 15, 2011, 09:02:52 AM

Cheers
Great idea!
Let's buy random stuff that reads "Bitcoin" somewhere on the item, and send it to businesses that we like with a message telling how much we appreciate their services or products. No need to even mention Bitcoin in the message. If the gift reads "Bitcoin", it is good enough. (actually, mentionning about Bitcoin is likely to trigger some kind of "what's the catch?" reaction).
A few examples : CoinedBits coins (gold plated and heavy, so good chance to end up as paper weight on someone's desk), cascascius coins and bullions, mugs, tshirts, pens, key holders and and the like will likely stick around in the target organization and become the subject of some coffee machine conversations about this strange gift come from nowhere.
Revalin

View Profile
December 15, 2011, 02:20:51 PM

If we wanted to help get the brain juices flowing for them and future acceptors of Bitcoin. One sure fire way would be to send a gift bag of coffee, or other things purchased with Bitcoins and of course note on the card that they were purchased directly with Bitcoins. A good gesture and a passive suggestion that may just get their attention some more.

Cheers

+1, this is much more tasteful.  Weird and gifting is much better than weird and nagging.  Smiley

BTCurious

View Profile
December 15, 2011, 02:22:52 PM

Weird and gifting is much better than weird and nagging.  Smiley
Hehe Smiley

sadpandatech

View Profile
December 15, 2011, 05:31:34 PM

Weird and gifting is much better than weird and nagging.  Smiley
Hehe Smiley

haha, I got weird covered. ;p

Also, got a new PSU in one of my systems so am back in operation.

I am sending 1 BTC here to go towards a coffee gift basket for the folks at Archive.org  address sponsored by Edd at Bitbrew.  It's all I have available atm so feel free to chip in a few bitcents if anyone feels so inclined.

Cheers,
    Derek

- GA

Bitcoin 100

Activity: 84

View Profile
December 16, 2011, 08:02:19 AM

Weird and gifting is much better than weird and nagging.  Smiley
Hehe Smiley

haha, I got weird covered. ;p

Also, got a new PSU in one of my systems so am back in operation.

I am sending 1 BTC here to go towards a coffee gift basket for the folks at Archive.org  address sponsored by Edd at Bitbrew.  It's all I have available atm so feel free to chip in a few bitcents if anyone feels so inclined.

Cheers,
    Derek

I just sent 1 BTC.

~Bruno~
pointbiz

Activity: 437
Merit: 415

1ninja

View Profile
December 18, 2011, 04:18:22 PM

I sent the Internet Archive 1 BTC

Coder of: https://www.bitaddress.org      Thread
Open Source JavaScript Client-Side Bitcoin Wallet Generator
Donations: 1NiNja1bUmhSoTXozBRBEtR8LeF9TGbZBN   PGP
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2011, 07:06:44 PM

Cheers

Is it safe to assume that a tad more is needed here or has this been shelved? Only curious! I'm not worry, one iota, about my tiny donation, but if still on the table, this sure would make as nice Christmas present to their office staff, albeit it may now arrive late.

~Bruno~

edd
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2011, 09:01:28 PM

Cheers

Is it safe to assume that a tad more is needed here or has this been shelved? Only curious! I'm not worry, one iota, about my tiny donation, but if still on the table, this sure would make as nice Christmas present to their office staff, albeit it may now arrive late.

~Bruno~

I'm willing to make up the difference for a bag of coffee or two. However, I was hoping to be able to send some Jamaican Blue Mountain or a Cup of Excellence coffee but that would require at least 2 more BTC.

Alternatively, I could send a bag of the good stuff and not include any decaf or tea.

Suggestions?

Still around.
gnar1ta$
Donator

View Profile
December 18, 2011, 09:07:01 PM

I'm willing to make up the difference for a bag of coffee or two. However, I was hoping to be able to send some Jamaican Blue Mountain or a Cup of Excellence coffee but that would require at least 2 more BTC.

Done.

sadpandatech

View Profile
December 18, 2011, 09:07:41 PM

Cheers

~Bruno~

Alternatively, I could send a bag of the good stuff and not include any decaf or tea.

Suggestions?

No worries. I will gladly send another BTC. Anyone else? This is just a small 'Thank You' fund for the Internet Archive folks.
 Cheers

- GA

sadpandatech

View Profile
December 18, 2011, 09:09:07 PM

Done.

Rock on, m8.  You sent the 2BTC I take it?  Edd, just let me know if you need any more I will send 1 or 2 if needed.

- GA

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2011, 03:47:52 AM

Just sent another one, edd. Keep us abreast.

~Bruno~
edd
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2011, 01:37:18 AM

Okay, enough has been contributed to cover most of the cost for a bag of premium coffee as well as some decaf. As I mentioned, I'll cover the difference and throw in some tea.

It will probably be Thursday before I can get this shipped out so it will not arrive before Christmas, especially if their offices close early.

If anyone wants me to send more coffee than what I've listed above, send you're BTC to the address designated for this "Thank You" package before Thursday and I'll include another variety or two.

Still around.
sadpandatech

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 01:52:36 AM
Last edit: December 20, 2011, 02:19:49 AM by sadpandatech

Okay, enough has been contributed to cover most of the cost for a bag of premium coffee as well as some decaf. As I mentioned, I'll cover the difference and throw in some tea.

It will probably be Thursday before I can get this shipped out so it will not arrive before Christmas, especially if their offices close early.

If anyone wants me to send more coffee than what I've listed above, send you're BTC to the address designated for this "Thank You" package before Thursday and I'll include another variety or two.

A few Bitcoin coffee mugs would be a nice addition. Any chance you have some of those or are able to acquire them? I will toss a few more BTC for other items if needed.

Edit; If we know of any less than friggin $15 per mug. ;p

- GA

edd
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2011, 02:30:37 AM

A few Bitcoin coffee mugs would be a nice addition. Any chance you have some of those or are able to acquire them? I will toss a few more BTC for other items if needed.

I don't have any on hand and would have to order them online, extending the amount of time before I could ship out the final package. As it's already going to be arriving after Christmas, a few more days probably won't make a big difference.

Now that I think about it, I could call some local t-shirt/mug shops and see what kind of product they can produce and how quickly they can do it. I'll do a bit of research in the morning and post back here with my findings.

Still around.
Bitcoin 100

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 02:32:38 AM

Also a spoon and some sugar to sweeten the pot. Let us know when they send a thank you reply.

~Bruno~
edd
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2011, 02:53:24 AM

Yeah, that's going to be the biggest hurdle.

Well, it just may be time to start offering BitBrew coffee mugs so that I can order in bulk.

Still around.
BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2011, 03:23:55 AM

Yeah, that's going to be the biggest hurdle.

Well, it just may be time to start offering BitBrew coffee mugs so that I can order in bulk.

You might look at discountmugs.com - I haven't used them and don't know if they're good or there is some catch but they offer various models and the printed normal style is listed as $3.38 each for 12 qty. They seem to offer an amazing variety of styles too.

Oops - Just saw that setup fee is $50 and shipping $30 so by the time you add $80 an order of 12 becomes much more costly. But 24 qty price is $1.69 so that may be acceptable. And I see 36 qty with setup and shpg is $133 (almost same as 24) so that's pretty good = $3.69 each.

edd
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2011, 04:25:39 AM

Okay, I found someone local who can produce the mugs relatively cheaply. Due to the holidays, it will probably take at least two weeks before I have the final product in hand. Do we want to wait that long before I send the Thank You package?

BTW, the mugs will run about 1.75 BTC each and look like this:

Still around.
sadpandatech

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 05:01:28 PM

Okay, I found someone local who can produce the mugs relatively cheaply. Due to the holidays, it will probably take at least two weeks before I have the final product in hand. Do we want to wait that long before I send the Thank You package?

I don't think a wait will detract from the message as the Thank You letter will be the important thing, imho. Most offices run very slim and some of them are chaotic from Dec.24-Jan.2 or so anyhows. Were you able to convert any of the current bitcoins while the price was up? How many mugs did you have in mind? What is the total BTC needed and how many more do you need to pay for it?

Cheers,
   Derek

- GA

Bitcoin 100

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 05:18:56 PM

I don't think a wait will detract from the message as the Thank You letter will be the important thing, imho. Most offices run very slim and some of them are chaotic from Dec.24-Jan.2 or so anyhows. Were you able to convert any of the current bitcoins while the price was up? How many mugs did you have in mind? What is the total BTC needed and how many more do you need to pay for it?

Cheers,
   Derek

Yea! Let us know what else you need. I'm willing to send 2 BTC more for the cause. I like these cups! I can envisioned them lined up on the shelves in that South Park episode I mostly penned. Of course, in the episode, Bitbrew is referred to as BethBrew, derived from BethCoin, named after Chef's (S.N.) eleventh true love, Beth Anne Konig. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=55252.msg657726#msg657726
edd
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2011, 05:31:22 PM

Cheers,
   Derek

Yea! Let us know what else you need. I'm willing to send 2 BTC more for the cause. I like these cups! I can envisioned them lined up on the shelves in that South Park episode I mostly penned. Of course, in the episode, BitBrew is referred to BethBrew, derived from BethCoin, named after Chef's (S.N.) eleventh true love, Beth Anne Konig. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=55252.msg657726#msg657726

I did convert some BTC when they were going for around 3.95 USD.

If I get a total of 4 more BTC (including Bruno's 2), I'll cover the remaining cost to send 4 cups. Of course, if more bitcoins are contributed by others in the meantime, I can send more coffee, as well.

The same BTC address should be fine: 1BjFzL2TTukjn76YuDZbVPWJMmhypBJjfG

Still around.
sadpandatech

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 06:09:34 PM

If I get a total of 4 more BTC (including Bruno's 2), I'll cover the remaining cost to send 4 cups. Of course, if more bitcoins are contributed by others in the meantime, I can send more coffee, as well.

Awesome. I will take a peek at the addy this evening and initiate a withdrawal from trading to send 1 or 2 more that way, if still needed.
http://blockexplorer.com/address/1BjFzL2TTukjn76YuDZbVPWJMmhypBJjfG
I see 6 sent total thus far. So we need to reach 10?

- GA

edd
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2011, 06:27:58 PM

Awesome. I will take a peek at the addy this evening and initiate a withdrawal from trading to send 1 or 2 more that way, if still needed.

Right. 10 BTC will allow me to send one bag of premium coffee, one bag of decaf, one bag of tea, and four mugs. (Don't be surprised if you can't get all of this at the same price at BitBrew.net - I'm basically paying for the decaf, two mugs, and shipping.)

Still around.
Bitcoin 100

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 08:37:03 PM

Sent 2 BTC as promised. Just needed to know you desired them.

~Bruno~
sadpandatech

View Profile
December 23, 2011, 06:30:03 PM

I just fired up the client and sent 2 BTC. They should show up some time soon.

- GA

dancupid

View Profile
December 25, 2011, 03:48:36 PM

Their bitcoins are now worth over $2000 (at $4.27 per btc).

I do hope they know what they have and know what they are doing. Why haven't they moved any coins?
Is anyone communicating with them?
BitcoinPorn

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2011, 03:53:21 PM

I do hope they know what they have and know what they are doing. Why haven't they moved any coins?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54822.0  I hate to see good things go bad because of lack of information or education before action was taken

This is why Grandma can't have a Bitcoin client on her computer yet, there is just ways of thinking that people don't grasp, such as they have to ensure they know the value of the currency they hold can change at any minute, this needs to be pounded into peoples heads so they make the right decision to pull out of the market.

I know there are people we all want to get into Bitcoin to jump off of whatever fiat you have, but I hope people will realize the implications of trying to force people to jump in fully rather than just dip their toes in the water a little bit first

dancupid

View Profile
December 25, 2011, 04:08:42 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54822.0  I hate to see good things go bad because of lack of information or education before action was taken

This is why Grandma can't have a Bitcoin client on her computer yet, there is just ways of thinking that people don't grasp, such as they have to ensure they know the value of the currency they hold can change at any minute, this needs to be pounded into peoples heads so they make the right decision to pull out of the market.

I know there are people we all want to get into Bitcoin to jump off of whatever fiat you have, but I hope people will realize the implications of trying to force people to jump in fully rather than just dip their toes in the water a little bit first

Your have to assume to some extent that one of the biggest websites on the internet with a special interest in the history of the web will have people working for them who understand bitcoin and how it works and how to secure it properly. But at the same time I'm a  little worried.
They aren't my granny afterall - but I'd like to see some of these coins moved.
Revalin

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 01:37:25 PM

https://blockexplorer.com/tx/f73df637a912ac5f536d1e3b33695823a18a9e89ae7f3def89d9b06d6a475a52

It looks like they called the top pretty well.  Over USD $3000 just for posting an address to a donations page.  I hope it helps!

Anyone who was waiting for them to move some coins, now's your chance!

Ben Walsh (beamer)

Activity: 343

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 03:05:04 PM

Thanks for the heads up Obsi. I will donate once I've got some spare BTCs. Cheers.

Thanks to comments left on this blog post

http://blog.archive.org/2011/12/07/please-donate-to-the-internet-archive/

They have set up a donation address. The address I received in an email from june (at) archive.org is

I will email her to update the post with the bitcoin donation address, or you can check with her for verification.

Let's show them how much we appreciate all the great work they do & that accepting bitcoin is a fantastic way to supplement their fundraising.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2012, 04:33:23 PM

Right. 10 BTC will allow me to send one bag of premium coffee, one bag of decaf, one bag of tea, and four mugs. (Don't be surprised if you can't get all of this at the same price at BitBrew.net - I'm basically paying for the decaf, two mugs, and shipping.)

Status?

and this: http://blockchain.info/address/494294730abf03c846988654f15d1864469c737a
k

Activity: 451

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 09:55:23 PM

Apologies for the necro-post.
http://archive.org/donate/ is soliciting donations at the moment. Bitcoins accepted  Grin

3-for-1 Match for All Donations!

A generous supporter has offered to match every dollar we raise 3-to-1 through December 31st. We are trying to raise $150,000 in donations by the end of the year - with the match, that will give us $600,000, enough to buy 4 more petabytes of storage.

Also on Hacker News http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=4901148, where I learnt about this campaign.
gusti
Legendary

Activity: 1099

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 10:12:22 PM

Thanks for your impressive work, small donation on it's way.

If you don't own the private keys, you don't own the coins.
Bees Brothers

Activity: 457
Merit: 291

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2012, 11:28:25 PM

Just stumbled upon this thread and read it with excitement.  We listen to Internet Archive all the time!  Nice collection of Grateful Dead concerts  Cool

We will be sending some btc later tonight.

Love the idea of sending some bitcoin related items and will send a gift box with 2 boxes of honey caramels and a letter from the kids talking about their business and bitcoins.

If anyone wants to contribute (they don't have to) we will send a bigger package.

1P8Ypzg8zXnUKUypZ1zkt2zkfSQHR65Cqa

Don't tread on bees! http://beesbros.com
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2012, 12:58:22 AM

SOB! Looks like I'm goin' to need some more disposable bitcoins. I will be contributing before the end of the month to take advantage of the match play.

~Bruno K~
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: