Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 03:48:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Internet Archive (Home of the Wayback Machine) Accepting Bitcoin Donations!  (Read 11562 times)
CoinLab

Activity: 270
Merit: 250

1CoinLabF5Avpp5kor41ngn7prTFMMHFVc

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2011, 05:34:39 PM

Internet Archive has received 345BTC, valued currently over $1100!!!
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2011, 05:41:55 PM

Internet Archive has received 345BTC, valued currently over $1100!!!

wooow  Cheesy and they didn't spend even 1 satoshi

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
gregwtmtno

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 14, 2011, 06:06:27 PM

It would be nice if they could spend the money as bitcoins. I'd imagine they could probably use it to buy some stuff at memory dealers for their serves. Does anyone know if there's anyone offering office supplies for bitcoin? It's not glamorous, but I'd imagine almost every charity that accepts bitcoins would need office supplies of some sort.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
December 14, 2011, 06:56:05 PM

Are we sure that that bitcoin address is of internet archive and not a scam?

Dansker

Activity: 740
Merit: 500

Hello world!

View Profile
December 14, 2011, 07:12:28 PM

It was confirmed on their website, so yes: http://www.archive.org/about/faqs.php#311

Revalin

Activity: 728

165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g

View Profile
December 14, 2011, 07:14:13 PM

It's up on their donations page, so unless they're hacked, it's real.

We also have contact through Obsi, though with due respect, he's new.

Does anyone know if there's anyone offering office supplies for bitcoin?

Please don't evangelize them to death, guys.  Look at it from their side - they wanted to add a new way to accept payments that some people were asking for.  We're currency geeks, but they're not, and they didn't get into this looking for new ways to purchase their office supplies.  They know Bitcoin exists now, and these guys are probably pretty good at finding things on the internet.  They have several copies of it, after all.  Smiley  When they want to know more the information is widely available, and they'll find it.

Until then nagging them will only turn them off, so please just thank them for making it easy to donate and leave it at that.

War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.  --Ambrose Bierce
Bitcoin is the Devil's way of teaching geeks economics.  --Revalin 165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
December 14, 2011, 07:15:42 PM

It's up on their donations page, so unless they're hacked, it's real.

We also have contact through Obsi, though with due respect, he's new.

You are right. Sorry, my fault, i didn't notice they put the bitcoin address on the website

CoinLab

Activity: 270
Merit: 250

1CoinLabF5Avpp5kor41ngn7prTFMMHFVc

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2011, 07:34:33 PM

Also, for those who expressed concern, they have moved the link to the BTC address to directly under paypal.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2011, 08:12:01 PM

It would be nice if they could spend the money as bitcoins. I'd imagine they could probably use it to buy some stuff at memory dealers for their serves. Does anyone know if there's anyone offering office supplies for bitcoin? It's not glamorous, but I'd imagine almost every charity that accepts bitcoins would need office supplies of some sort.

Or even just coffee for their office(s): http://bitbrew.net/
sadpandatech

Activity: 504

View Profile
December 14, 2011, 08:17:01 PM
Last edit: December 15, 2011, 12:05:29 PM by sadpandatech

If we wanted to help get the brain juices flowing for them and future acceptors of Bitcoin. One sure fire way would be to send a gift bag of coffee, or other things purchased with Bitcoins and of course note on the card that they were purchased directly with Bitcoins. A good gesture and a passive suggestion that may just get their attention some more.

Cheers

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 15, 2011, 12:02:41 AM

If we wanted to help get the brain juices flowing for them and future acceptors of Bitcoin, one sure fire way would be to send a gift bag of coffee, or other things purchased with Bitcoins and of course note on the card that they were purchased directly with Bitcoins. A good gesture and a passive suggestion that may just get their attention some more.

Cheers

+1
I really like this idea. Support bitcoin merchants at the same time. Great!

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 15, 2011, 12:08:49 AM

If we wanted to help get the brain juices flowing for them and future acceptors of Bitcoin, one sure fire way would be to send a gift bag of coffee, or other things purchased with Bitcoins and of course note on the card that they were purchased directly with Bitcoins. A good gesture and a passive suggestion that may just get their attention some more.

Cheers

+1
So... do it!  Have a bag or three drop-shipped from bitbrew straight to the guys working there.  Wink
tiberiandusk

Activity: 575

The North Remembers

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2011, 01:11:35 AM

SETI is asking for donations. It would be awesome to get them to accept Bitcoin, too.

Bitcoin Auction House http://www.BitBid.net BTC - 1EwfBVC6BwA6YeqcYZmm3htwykK3MStW6N | LTC - LdBpJJHj4WSAsUqaTbwyJQFiG1tVjo4Uys Don't get Goxed.
sadpandatech

View Profile
December 15, 2011, 01:22:01 AM

SETI is asking for donations. It would be awesome to get them to accept Bitcoin, too.
I agree. Cool https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=50164.0

Cheers

+1
So... do it
!  Have a bag or three drop-shipped from bitbrew straight to the guys working there.  Wink

I certainly agree and will be happy to do so. Sadly, I have spent my small 'fortune' of Bitcoins lately to buy hardware with Bitcoins to repair my small mining farm.  Any ideas on a way to fund a small 'thank you' care package for Archive.org?  I can put 1BTC towards it. We would want to make sure we attached a card to it that thanked them for their open minded addition of Bitcoins as a donation option. And suggesting they please accept the community's personal token of appreciation. And as a note, these items were purchased with Bitcoins from established businesses that have the forsight to accept them in exchange for their goods.

Cheers

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2011, 03:30:17 AM

Cheers

+1
So... do it!  Have a bag or three drop-shipped from bitbrew straight to the guys working there.  Wink

Most major charitable organizations have a central office. An office with coffee drinkers. Coffee paid for possibly out of donated dollars. If they're able to just buy coffee with Bitcoin, the money not spent there would be used toward their intended goals. Think about it!
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2011, 04:54:31 AM

Cheers

+1

Most major charitable organizations have a central office. An office with coffee drinkers. Coffee paid for possibly out of donated dollars. If they're able to just buy coffee with Bitcoin, the money not spent there would be used toward their intended goals. Think about it!

I think this is a great idea. We can organize it similarly to the Bitcoin 100 pledge drive. I can publicly post a bitcoin address and anyone willing to donate a small amount to purchase coffee for archive.org may do so. After a certain amount of time has passed, I'll use the funds to purchase a variety of my most popular brews, throw in a bag of decaf and maybe some tea leaves at my expense, and send them off to archive.org with a tasteful card that reads, "From your friends and supporters in the Bitcoin Community. (This coffee was bought with bitcoins!)".

I'll also include a personal letter from me, offering a 10% discount on all future purchases for the archive.org offices. Fair warning, however: I offer a premium product - mostly fair trade and organic coffees, and even if I offered it to them at cost, it might still be more fiscally prudent for them to continue buying their office coffee from the local supermarket or warehouse store.

Still around.
sadpandatech

View Profile
December 15, 2011, 04:59:02 AM

^^  I like it. Where to send some funds? I pledge 1 BTC

Cheers

- GA

edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2011, 05:12:24 AM

^^  I like it. Where to send some funds? I pledge 1 BTC

Cheers

Here's you go: 1BjFzL2TTukjn76YuDZbVPWJMmhypBJjfG

View total to date: http://blockexplorer.com/address/1BjFzL2TTukjn76YuDZbVPWJMmhypBJjfG

Hmmm, this might also be a good way to intrigue charities when approaching on behalf of the Bitcoin 100; I'd be willing to donate a bag of coffee to send with a simple letter reiterating what bitcoin is and how quickly its economy is growing.

Still around.
sadpandatech

View Profile
December 15, 2011, 05:26:55 AM

^^  I like it. Where to send some funds? I pledge 1 BTC

Cheers

Here's you go: 1BjFzL2TTukjn76YuDZbVPWJMmhypBJjfG

View total to date: http://blockexplorer.com/address/1BjFzL2TTukjn76YuDZbVPWJMmhypBJjfG

Hmmm, this might also be a good way to intrigue charities when approaching on behalf of the Bitcoin 100; I'd be willing to donate a bag of coffee to send with a simple letter reiterating what bitcoin is and how quickly its economy is growing.
 Rock on, may have to wait and send it when I wake up. Just initiated a withdrawal.  Maybe we have to start a new thread, "Thank You Gift Basket for Internet Archive.org"? or some such.

I agree it is nice to send gifts but I think they are more meaningful if saved for the follow up rather than the approach. Edit; though the approach with a Bitcoin purchased gift would be excellent for non charities we want to raise awareness of Bitcoin with..

Cheers,
   Derek

- GA

freequant

Activity: 770

View Profile
December 15, 2011, 09:02:52 AM

Cheers
Great idea!
Let's buy random stuff that reads "Bitcoin" somewhere on the item, and send it to businesses that we like with a message telling how much we appreciate their services or products. No need to even mention Bitcoin in the message. If the gift reads "Bitcoin", it is good enough. (actually, mentionning about Bitcoin is likely to trigger some kind of "what's the catch?" reaction).
A few examples : CoinedBits coins (gold plated and heavy, so good chance to end up as paper weight on someone's desk), cascascius coins and bullions, mugs, tshirts, pens, key holders and and the like will likely stick around in the target organization and become the subject of some coffee machine conversations about this strange gift come from nowhere.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: