Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 10:25:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: How much monthly USD do you plan to "save" into Bitcoins?
$10 - 11 (15.5%)
$100 - 29 (40.8%)
$500 - 12 (16.9%)
$1,000 - 4 (5.6%)
$2,500 - 4 (5.6%)
$5,000 - 11 (15.5%)
Total Voters: 71

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin savings plan  (Read 4558 times)
kjlimo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2011, 04:38:37 AM

So, my plan as of right now is $100 / month. 

I plan to put $100 in each month going forward whether the price jumps to $10/BTC or if it drops to 10 cents / BTC. 

By steadily putting in money over time, it will average out the price that I buy BTC for.  This is simply a long term savings plan and I assume I'm not the only person doing this.

Also, if we assume all miners are selling coins, we need 7,200 BTC "purchased" by non-miners daily or about 215,000 BTC a month. 

At current prices this requires, $600,000 a month.  Granted some people are purchasing/selling speculatively based on current price, but another population of people could be "savers" like me.

Hopefully, this poll can give an idea of who will be steadily flowing USD into bitcoin over the coming months.  If there's not 600k / month, then the price is sure to drop again before the end of 2012.

Feel free to update your vote as you adjust your plan.  We'll see how much data we can gather here.

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
December 08, 2011, 04:47:43 AM

This is a conundrum. Do I buy a lot of Bitcoin or do I help develop the Bitcoin economy by investing money in real world applications? The former could have me ending up with a lot of worthless Bitcoin, the latter could make my few Bitcoin worth a lot.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
boonies4u

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 08, 2011, 06:05:30 AM

This is a conundrum. Do I buy a lot of Bitcoin or do I help develop the Bitcoin economy by investing money in real world applications? The former could have me ending up with a lot of worthless Bitcoin, the latter could make my few Bitcoin worth a lot.

You buy a lot of BTC then invest them in real world applications for Bitcoin.

You won't be the one having to sell them for fiat, so you'll feel good about yourself. One of the best current applications for Bitcoin is investing.
finway

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 08, 2011, 06:59:44 AM

$3000 at least.

ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2011, 07:47:37 AM

Zero. Roll Eyes
Edward50

Activity: 602

View Profile
December 08, 2011, 07:54:45 AM

well the heck is the 0 option, if you decide not to save?HuhHuh
What kind of poll is this.

Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 08, 2011, 08:29:09 AM

Well it also doesn't have options for those who are gradually selling out of their BTC hoardings.
It seems reasonable that zero or less don't qualify as 'savings' so aren't being surveyed.

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
finway

View Profile
December 08, 2011, 08:44:44 AM

I think there should be negative saving options
for those who shorted on bitconica.

ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2011, 09:02:09 AM

I think there should be negative saving options
for those who shorted on bitconica.

Right, this is indeed a great time to short.
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
December 08, 2011, 09:10:16 AM

I have nephews who will be getting "bitcoin savings accounts" from me for Christmas, by way of wallets burned to CD and colorful address cards from paymyaddress.com. I imagine that I'll be dropping in a minimum of $20/month (total) to their accounts every month for the next 10 years. It's not much, but it's meant to be an example more than me actually trying to provide for other people's kids.

By then, especially if their parents also contribute (it may take a few years to get them to that point) they should be able to pay for whatever modernized job training that should have replaced the bloated, overpriced secondary education ripoff we currently have.

For myself, I'm saving regularly also... under $100 though (hey, precious metals are also nice....)

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2011, 01:03:32 PM

I don't have a regular income. I've not had one for many years. It's difficult to create a savings plan that makes any sense. I save everything except the money I need day to day. I currently have approximately 10% of my liquid wealth in BTC and in addition I'm planning to invest more than 10% to my company, which will be a Bitcoin startup. Starting in 2 months.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2011, 01:38:51 PM

I'm not.  Using bitcoin to store wealth at this point is silly.  You're silly. 

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
westkybitcoins
Legendary

View Profile
December 08, 2011, 01:54:07 PM

Hmm.

Had you just said "Using bitcoin to store wealth is silly," I would understand your perspective.

At what point will it switch from being a bad idea to store wealth in bitcoin to being a good idea? What critical point do you think needs to be reached?

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
payb.tc

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 08, 2011, 02:04:40 PM

i 'plan' to save $100,000 per month in bitcoins, however i currently can't afford that much.

finway

View Profile
December 08, 2011, 02:18:08 PM

I don't get it ,why silly?

BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2011, 02:19:03 PM

I'm not.  Using bitcoin to store wealth at this point is silly.  You're silly.  

Hmm.

Had you just said "Using bitcoin to store wealth is silly," I would understand your perspective.

At what point will it switch from being a bad idea to store wealth in bitcoin to being a good idea? What critical point do you think needs to be reached?

When the downtrend stops, or there is a clear reversal.  The downtrend has stalled for now, but the longer we go without the price going up, the more likely it is we'll see another crash or the downtrend resume  It is young still, and the short/mid term is uncertain.  Long term I'm still positive, but unwilling to tie up assets in bitcoin at the moment.  

I'm not.  Using bitcoin to store wealth at this point is silly.  You're silly.  
I don't get it ,why silly?

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
jimbobway
Legendary

Activity: 1304
Merit: 1014

View Profile
December 08, 2011, 02:37:25 PM

Remember, you can also try to spend your invested bitcoins and support the bitcoin economy.  Need hosting? Find a bitcoin hosting provider.  Buy a bitcoin tshirt or two.   etc...
Coinbuck @ BTCLot

Activity: 540

The future begins today

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2011, 02:42:08 PM

Remember, you can also try to spend your invested bitcoins and support the bitcoin economy.  Need hosting? Find a bitcoin hosting provider.  Buy a bitcoin tshirt or two.   etc...

Yes, infact, Bitcoin is a advantage to hosting providers, they can make lower prices thanks to the non-existant transaction fees.

So what you get: really affordable hosting and you support the bitcoin economy at the same time.

Isn't that great ?

Bitcoin is the future !
westkybitcoins
Legendary

View Profile
December 08, 2011, 02:43:39 PM

Remember, you can also try to spend your invested bitcoins and support the bitcoin economy.  Need hosting? Find a bitcoin hosting provider.  Buy a bitcoin tshirt or two.   etc...

Good point. I've just tried out bitmunchies, and hope to give a few of the other bitcoin businesses that can fill a need of mine a try.

finway

View Profile
December 08, 2011, 02:51:39 PM

The downtrend has stalled for now, but the longer we go without the price going up, the more likely it is we'll see another crash or the downtrend resume  
This is about speculation.

It is young still, and the short/mid term is uncertain.  Long term I'm still positive, but unwilling to tie up assets in bitcoin at the moment.  
This is about investment. but i don't get the short/mid/long term conflictions.

Bitcoin is now wellknown, and will be more wellknown, I am sure about that.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: