Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 11:17:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: My view on the future of Crypto Currencies  (Read 4978 times)
berone

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 10:15:50 AM

Ripple is poised to be the next big thing during the crypto-currency revolution.
ripple is not the same as other coins. it depends on the company. How the team run it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Blazin604 (OP)

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 04:31:17 AM

i think Ripple has a ton of potential

mgburks77

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 06:43:41 PM

meh I found ripple to be a confusing mess

In my view the best shot at crypto dominance is a easy to use coin that is fast and secure. It will need to be a PoW/PoS hybrid with an Android app that can mint new coins and has large community devoted to it's development.

The only alt I know about that is anywhere near being that is MINT. And at under 20 satosh right now it's a hell of a bargain. There's no completed android app as of yet but there will be soon enough. It's being developed now.

Get in while it's hot!!! Once android minting comes out this coin is going to explode in price.
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2014, 06:46:01 PM

Why should an android app mint coins? Simply an android app that gives away coins that have already been minted should suffice, shouldn't it?

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2014, 06:49:05 PM

Ripple is poised to be the next big thing during the crypto-currency revolution.

Ripple is ridiculously complicated (i.e my balance is not actually BTC but "Bitstamp btc" // that is only one example of serious issues with Ripple), and in it's current form has almost no chance of real success. Sorry, but I strongly believe that to be accurate.

Maybe, the Ripple creators are "too smart" and cannot create something suitable for the masses?

Why would "the masses" even ever see the current Ripple client?

Surely they would simply have bank accounts and credit cards, just like now, and maybe not even realise that their bank and their credit card network happen to run on the Ripple network?

Even with bitcoin-derived coins we already see "the masses" not running "full clients", and see developers and those who advise / forum-troll developers posting that the whole way the clients work, how one secures one's wallet and so on all need a whole lot of dumbing-down in order to appeal to "the masses".

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
mgburks77

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 06:56:42 PM

Why should an android app mint coins? Simply an android app that gives away coins that have already been minted should suffice, shouldn't it?

-MarkM-

Well, where would these MINT come from? if the app simply gives away coins that have already been minted it's going to mean that whoever minted those coins is just giving them away. Why would someone be incentivized to do this? 

The point of minting on an android device is the same as the point of  any other mining just at far less electrical usage and on a miniature potable device instead of expensive specialized equipment.

The benefits seems obvious
whatsthestory

Activity: 54

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 05:55:05 PM

I have a slightly different point of view. Now BTC is a clear and undisputed leader because it was pioneer in industry. Therefore it’s attracting so mush attention. It is important to bare in mind BTC was based on a strong theoretical ground and did not appear in a single day. This is the first “real” product made after years of researches at the intersection of around cryptography, p2p-networks and financial science.

But as all first things BTC has evident downsides which are unlikely to let him take the world domination in the future. I won’t stay in details, a lot has been said before me. BTC problems: possibility ASIC-mining, the threat 51%, high concentration of funds in large exchange (hi, Mt.Gox!) etc. Idea is great but implementation needs additional set up imo.

The History remembers many companies, which were the first in their field but then found themselves well behind others. Last case is Facebook. Nobody knew what these guys were counting on because we had MySpace. Once upon a time Yahoo shares devaluated by several times and reanimation didn’t save our patient. And Facebook got on IPO in 2013 and its estimate was multimillions.

The trend remained and now all the processes go even faster so in the long-term I certainly won’t count on BTC.

In this regards LTC seems much more interesting. I think there is well present – www.mapofcoins.com. LTC improved technology and it’s a main reason why it has so many forks. Unfortunately  this map hasn’t cryptocurrencies created on another protocol than BTC. Ripple, Mastercoin, Mint, NXT can serve as good examples.

Otherwise I’m not sure that Ripple and Mastercoin are cryptocurrencies. I think rather they are technologies which will work to promo of cryptocurrencies and to increase possibilities. I mean they could increase the coverage and help cryptocurrencies to find one’s way to the business sphere including transnational corporations. Awesome! I like investors trusts in such projects and scouting the professional. This gives us hope that we won’t wait for a half century for “great leap for mankind”.
whatsthestory

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 06:16:30 PM

Now cryprocurrencies are toy for overqualified users and gambles because cryprocurrencies don’t provide the real sector. Future mostly depends on what products or services you may actually buy with them. Square opened the door for BTC recently, which is a very positive tendency. I think the other “advanced” IT-companies are also moving in this direction. Surely tomorrow Google won’t begin to accept BTC as payment for Adwords. But this will happen and it will have a wow-effect!

The point of minting on an android device is the same as the point of  any other mining just at far less electrical usage and on a miniature potable device instead of expensive specialized equipment.

I agree! We might wait a first “light” app to mobile It’s important. I’m not just talking about wallets and exchanges, but also about mining possibility. Smartphones has very actual hardware and I believe technologies uses smartphones for mining will be created soon. And they won’t discharge in half an hour :-)

Next trend is protection privacy.

BTC 2.0 maybe an different kettle of fish. I would likely be interested in something like that. Or a "btc-killer" (so-called) coin that featured true anonymity and secure encryption would be extremely interesting.

Nowadays there have been a lot of fuss about governmental surveillance on regular people’s lives: later scandals on NSA and Snowden, Microsoft selling information about their users for special services, Google data-mining Gmail post-account… We also have annoying commercials and SMS-spam. The Big Brother knows which toothpaste you should use in the morning, where you should eat and whom you should sleep with. And he definitely knows it better than you. In modern world privacy is extremely expensive but that can be changed.

Globalization knocking on the door and I see great opportunities for the development of cryptocurrency. Yes, now it is firmly attached to fiat but they might rise above the national currencies in time. Then we’ll live in a world with no borders. That sounds like a utopia but the first electric cars and solar batteries also were a huge source of laughter. But at the moment we have Tesla and Israeli cities with no central heating.
I think all of the currencies mentioned above are good for short-term investments. However it is important to remember that now cryptocurrencies (BTC, LTC, doge etc) are just the first signs.
mayne

Activity: 42

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 06:55:55 PM

fuck ripple!
Morbid
Legendary

Activity: 1202
Merit: 1015

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 09:48:35 AM

is there any good historical ripple/btc price chart? not in dollars.
mgburks77

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 10:55:30 AM

I believe technologies uses smartphones for mining will be created soon.

The MINT community is sponsoring a bounty for this development and it is being worked on as we speak.
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 12:17:39 PM

is there any good historical ripple/btc price chart? not in dollars.
ripplecharts.com

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 02:33:09 PM

-MarkM-

Well, where would these MINT come from? if the app simply gives away coins that have already been minted it's going to mean that whoever minted those coins is just giving them away. Why would someone be incentivized to do this?  

The point of minting on an android device is the same as the point of  any other mining just at far less electrical usage and on a miniature potable device instead of expensive specialized equipment.

The whole point of giving them away, whether you give them away to people who use phones to get the "free" coins or people who fill out captchas or people who happen to live in Iceland or people who happen to be Native Americans or whatever, is to get them into the hands of lots of people so that maybe some of the people who are given some might actually do something useful with them to build an economy instead of just dumping them like miners tend to do.

-MarkM-

bramvnl

Activity: 140

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 02:34:46 PM

death to ripple
You have my vote.

+1
bramvnl

Activity: 140

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 02:35:18 PM

The MINT community is sponsoring a bounty for this development and it is being worked on as we speak.

i love mintcoin and eccoin
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 02:36:04 PM

i think Ripple has a ton of potential
You're thinking is wrong.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
whatsthestory

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 01:39:46 PM

I don't believe in MINT. MINT was launched February 2014 but many coins are mined. The ones who start first are profitable. Coin is the most consolidated so far imo.
+ Eco-thematic is a good PR but MINT is just the fork (the same problems with security etc).

If we want to upgrade cryptocurrencies we must evolve this sphere. We must support really new cryptocurrencies but not speculative.
I'm sure new trend is data/privacy protection. Pay attention to zerocoin or bytecoin (BCN not BTE, here), etc. We discuss them in the next thread, this technologies look rather promising.
mgburks77

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 04:18:38 PM

I don't believe in MINT. MINT was launched February 2014 but many coins are mined. The ones who start first are profitable. Coin is the most consolidated so far imo.
+ Eco-thematic is a good PR but MINT is just the fork (the same problems with security etc).

If we want to upgrade cryptocurrencies we must evolve this sphere. We must support really new cryptocurrencies but not speculative.
I'm sure new trend is data/privacy protection. Pay attention to zerocoin or bytecoin (BCN not BTE, here), etc. We discuss them in the next thread, this technologies look rather promising.

I agree that true anonymity is an essential development. Also decentralized cpu mining.

I think this will be the next evolution.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 05:31:14 PM

Also decentralized cpu mining.

Does decentralized cpu mining eliminate both botnets and pools, or still allow pools without botnets?

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2014, 09:08:10 PM

Also decentralized cpu mining.

Does decentralized cpu mining eliminate both botnets and pools, or still allow pools without botnets?
Aren't pools still somewhat a centralized way of mining?

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: