Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 12:59:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Running a Full Bitcoin Core Node on a Raspberry (need to move location)  (Read 92 times)
simpleSliv3r (OP)

Activity: 46
Merit: 28

View Profile
December 27, 2022, 04:08:36 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to run a node on my raspberry pi. I followed this simple guide: https://snapcraft.io/install/bitcoin-core/raspbian.
My raspberry uses a micro sd as main memory, so I have no enough space. I mounted an external disk with enough space to store all the data.
The question here is: how can I configure Core in order to use that external disk to save all the information?

Note that I don't have a GUI, I connect to my raspberry using ssh.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
SS

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 16628

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2022, 04:33:12 PM

how can I configure Core in order to use that external disk to save all the information?
Here, this data is stored in ~/.config/Bitcoin/Bitcoin-Qt.conf:
Code:
strDataDir=/home/simpleSliv3r/.bitcoin
So close Bitcoin Core, move that directory to a new location, edit this file, and restart Bitcoin Core.

That's how I like it, most of the time a terminal is much easier for those tasks than a GUI. But if you don't know the basics of file operations (like mv), you should probably learn that before using ssh.

simpleSliv3r (OP)

View Profile
December 27, 2022, 04:55:30 PM

how can I configure Core in order to use that external disk to save all the information?
Here, this data is stored in ~/.config/Bitcoin/Bitcoin-Qt.conf:
Code:
strDataDir=/home/simpleSliv3r/.bitcoin
So close Bitcoin Core, move that directory to a new location, edit this file, and restart Bitcoin Core.

Thanks for your answer.
I don't have any bitcoin directory on ~/.config/
Do I have to create it manually or should it already be created?
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 16628

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2022, 05:16:38 PM

Mine was created years ago, so I tested it: when I start bitcoin-qt, it instantly creates ~/.config/Bitcoin/Bitcoin-Qt.conf on it's own.

Update: I now see you're using "snaps", I've never used that, but it's probably the reason for having different file locations.
I'd try this:
Code:
find ~ | grep Bitcoin-Qt.conf

simpleSliv3r (OP)

View Profile
December 27, 2022, 07:49:45 PM

Mine was created years ago, so I tested it: when I start bitcoin-qt, it instantly creates ~/.config/Bitcoin/Bitcoin-Qt.conf on it's own.

Update: I now see you're using "snaps", I've never used that, but it's probably the reason for having different file locations.
I'd try this:
Code:
find ~ | grep Bitcoin-Qt.conf

Got it!!! Thank you very much. I finally downloaded it without using snap.
mendace

Activity: 462
Merit: 616

Pizza Maker 2023 | Bitcoinbeer.events

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2022, 09:20:31 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to run a node on my raspberry pi. I followed this simple guide: https://snapcraft.io/install/bitcoin-core/raspbian.
My raspberry uses a micro sd as main memory, so I have no enough space. I mounted an external disk with enough space to store all the data.
The question here is: how can I configure Core in order to use that external disk to save all the information?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
SS

Hi, I don't know if you already know but you could use a solution like umbrel or citadel on your rasp, so you won't have to think about how to connect the hard drive because using these plugs in OS is really simple and they can all do it.
I'm sure you already know these solutions but you can always search otherwise on google.
simpleSliv3r (OP)

View Profile
December 27, 2022, 09:23:45 PM

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
SS

Hi, I don't know if you already know but you could use a solution like umbrel or citadel on your rasp, so you won't have to think about how to connect the hard drive because using these plugs in OS is really simple and they can all do it.
I'm sure you already know these solutions but you can always search otherwise on google.

Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes I knew about umbrel but I was looking for a clean install of bitcoin core.
mendace

Activity: 462
Merit: 616

Pizza Maker 2023 | Bitcoinbeer.events

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2022, 09:25:11 PM

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
SS

Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes I knew about umbrel but I was looking for a clean install of bitcoin core.

Of course as I imagined.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: