Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:21:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Secure bitcoin private key storage for your pocket  (Read 2020 times)
matonis (OP)

Activity: 303
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2011, 05:27:36 AM

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/crypteks/crypteks-usbtm-encrypted-and-lockable-usb-solution
http://www.crypteks.com

-multiple private keys (no limit)
-good for off-network bitcoin transactions too

Founding Director, Bitcoin Foundation
I also cover the bitcoin economy for Forbes, American Banker, PaymentsSource, and CoinDesk.
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2011, 05:40:42 AM

The idea sounds great, however, I read this on their Kickstarter page:

Besides offering all of our Kickstarter backers access to the Crypteks™ password management system; we will be offering a "ring-change" service for anyone that may have accidentally forgotten their mechanical pass-code.

which seems to me like they have left a "back-door".  Huh

Cheers,

Ian.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
matonis (OP)

Activity: 303

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2011, 05:58:29 AM

The idea sounds great, however, I read this on their Kickstarter page:

Besides offering all of our Kickstarter backers access to the Crypteks™ password management system; we will be offering a "ring-change" service for anyone that may have accidentally forgotten their mechanical pass-code.

Ian, my understanding is that the "ring-change" service is for the outer shell, not the encryption password for the USB data. Futhermore, the use of the password management system is optional.

From the Crypteks page:
"No way! Thankfully NO ONE can reset your encryption password! Deciphering 256-bit AES encryption is a monumental task! (That's why we love it!). We recommend using and updating your personal Crypteks™ password management system account anytime you get a chance to change your password! We will be encrypting the entire engine and even we will not be able to view your stored information!"    

Founding Director, Bitcoin Foundation
I also cover the bitcoin economy for Forbes, American Banker, PaymentsSource, and CoinDesk.
Revalin

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g

View Profile
December 13, 2011, 06:16:04 AM

The lock is silly.  It doesn't do anything to prevent the device from being stolen.  Once it's stolen, it's not hard to open the thing.  I'd bet I could expose the USB connector in two minutes or less given any of a bandsaw, mill, dremel, angle grinder...  Give me five minutes if all I have is a hacksaw.  It's aluminum.

As for the crypto...  I worry about anything that has a "Forgot password" field.  Actually, I worry whenever someone tries to tell me they've made crypto better in any way; it's always snake oil.  Why would I ever put my trust in this thing instead of TrueCrypt or GPG?

Sorry to be a downer, but I'm tired of seeing bad security dressed up in hype.

War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.  --Ambrose Bierce
Bitcoin is the Devil's way of teaching geeks economics.  --Revalin 165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g
ovidiusoft

Activity: 252

View Profile
December 13, 2011, 08:43:51 AM

Well, the outer lock is no security, and I trust the open source encryption software more than their hardware AES who could save all keys in plaintext, for all I know. But the thing looks so cool, I want one! Black, keychain latch, pronto! Smiley
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
December 13, 2011, 08:45:05 AM

Looks cool. Lock has at least one use case I can think of but do not want to state here.

Wonder if you could swallow the thing in a hurry? .... nice and round for the exit at least.

Revalin

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g

View Profile
December 14, 2011, 03:41:33 AM

It does look cool, but not $160 of cool.  But that's just me.

1.1" x 3.1" ... I've swallowed bigger, but I'm sure you could find something smaller to bury your stash.  Smiley

War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.  --Ambrose Bierce
Bitcoin is the Devil's way of teaching geeks economics.  --Revalin 165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g
dunand

Activity: 637
Merit: 502

View Profile
December 14, 2011, 01:10:45 PM

Why is it safer than using truecrypt on a regular USB key?  Da Vinci would never have used a cryptex if he could have used truecrypt.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: