Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 12:14:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Secure bitcoin private key storage for your pocket  (Read 2023 times)
matonis (OP)

Activity: 303
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2011, 05:27:36 AM

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/crypteks/crypteks-usbtm-encrypted-and-lockable-usb-solution
http://www.crypteks.com

-multiple private keys (no limit)
-good for off-network bitcoin transactions too

Founding Director, Bitcoin Foundation
I also cover the bitcoin economy for Forbes, American Banker, PaymentsSource, and CoinDesk.
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2011, 05:40:42 AM

The idea sounds great, however, I read this on their Kickstarter page:

Besides offering all of our Kickstarter backers access to the Crypteks™ password management system; we will be offering a "ring-change" service for anyone that may have accidentally forgotten their mechanical pass-code.

which seems to me like they have left a "back-door".  Huh

Cheers,

Ian.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
matonis (OP)

Activity: 303

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2011, 05:58:29 AM

The idea sounds great, however, I read this on their Kickstarter page:

Besides offering all of our Kickstarter backers access to the Crypteks™ password management system; we will be offering a "ring-change" service for anyone that may have accidentally forgotten their mechanical pass-code.

Ian, my understanding is that the "ring-change" service is for the outer shell, not the encryption password for the USB data. Futhermore, the use of the password management system is optional.

From the Crypteks page:
"No way! Thankfully NO ONE can reset your encryption password! Deciphering 256-bit AES encryption is a monumental task! (That's why we love it!). We recommend using and updating your personal Crypteks™ password management system account anytime you get a chance to change your password! We will be encrypting the entire engine and even we will not be able to view your stored information!"    

Founding Director, Bitcoin Foundation
I also cover the bitcoin economy for Forbes, American Banker, PaymentsSource, and CoinDesk.
Revalin

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g

View Profile
December 13, 2011, 06:16:04 AM

The lock is silly.  It doesn't do anything to prevent the device from being stolen.  Once it's stolen, it's not hard to open the thing.  I'd bet I could expose the USB connector in two minutes or less given any of a bandsaw, mill, dremel, angle grinder...  Give me five minutes if all I have is a hacksaw.  It's aluminum.

As for the crypto...  I worry about anything that has a "Forgot password" field.  Actually, I worry whenever someone tries to tell me they've made crypto better in any way; it's always snake oil.  Why would I ever put my trust in this thing instead of TrueCrypt or GPG?

Sorry to be a downer, but I'm tired of seeing bad security dressed up in hype.

War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.  --Ambrose Bierce
Bitcoin is the Devil's way of teaching geeks economics.  --Revalin 165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g
ovidiusoft

Activity: 252

View Profile
December 13, 2011, 08:43:51 AM

Well, the outer lock is no security, and I trust the open source encryption software more than their hardware AES who could save all keys in plaintext, for all I know. But the thing looks so cool, I want one! Black, keychain latch, pronto! Smiley
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
December 13, 2011, 08:45:05 AM

Looks cool. Lock has at least one use case I can think of but do not want to state here.

Wonder if you could swallow the thing in a hurry? .... nice and round for the exit at least.

Revalin

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g

View Profile
December 14, 2011, 03:41:33 AM

It does look cool, but not $160 of cool.  But that's just me.

1.1" x 3.1" ... I've swallowed bigger, but I'm sure you could find something smaller to bury your stash.  Smiley

War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.  --Ambrose Bierce
Bitcoin is the Devil's way of teaching geeks economics.  --Revalin 165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g
dunand

Activity: 637
Merit: 502

View Profile
December 14, 2011, 01:10:45 PM

Why is it safer than using truecrypt on a regular USB key?  Da Vinci would never have used a cryptex if he could have used truecrypt.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: