Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 10:09:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: You guys don't get it - Bitcoin will act like a Ponzi scheme until Dec 2012  (Read 5500 times)
fastandfurious (OP)

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 13, 2011, 06:52:24 AM
Last edit: December 13, 2011, 07:08:34 AM by fastandfurious

This is a big issue, everytime Bitcoin price is going up it is at the same time working against it self with the high inflation that we have right now. This is just the way Bitcoin is constructed today. I know that Bitcoin isn't any ponzi sheme, but it will look as it is. The reason for this is very easy to explain, at $3 the inflation rate gives Bitcoin around $21 000/day of fresh capital (or miners that pay this amount by keeping their Bitcoins - the money has to come from somewhere) that is needed to hold the system intact and stable at the rate it is long term. If the price goes up to $10 or $30 then what is needed of fresh money at the exchanges is $72 000/day or $210 000/day to sustain a stable price at those levels. When the inflow of money doesn't come in at a stable rate, then it will act as if it was a ponzi scheme, because soon after it will fluctuate in a very disturbing way. As soon as the interest is gone for a couple of weeks the price will go down dramatically and vice versa.

So my conclusion is that every time anyone or group wants to start to bring in a bigger interest for Bitcoin they are facing a very very hard competitor. They can keep the price high for a couple of weeks, that is possible. But after that the inflation just hits the price every day, it acts today like a Duracell bunny and just gives those inflation numbers to the exchanges and it will not take a pause because the interest in down for a short period. And that will very fast show it self at the exchange price, and when the price goes down people sell in the trend. Exactly the same way they did when the price went up, a herd mentality.

One of my passions of life has been to really understand why the prices in the financial markets (and pretty much everything that is traded) goes up or down. I have been doing this for more then 11 years so what I am saying is my main conclusion why we have all these people that is right now tired of the way Bitcoin is acting, everyone should understand why this reason is.

And also, many super bulls are very blind and just see the positive signs, they really live in their own world. So for the super bulls, you don't need to comment.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
plastic.elastic

Activity: 168

View Profile
December 13, 2011, 07:11:16 AM

This is a big issue, everytime Bitcoin price is going up it is at the same time working against it self with the high inflation that we have right now. This is just the way Bitcoin is constructed today. I know that Bitcoin isn't any ponzi sheme, but it will look as it is. The reason for this is very easy to explain, at $3 the inflation rate gives Bitcoin around $21 000/day of fresh capital (or miners that pay this amount by keeping their Bitcoins - the money has to come from somewhere) that is needed to hold the system intact and stable at the rate it is long term. If the price goes up to $10 or $30 then what is needed of fresh money at the exchanges is $72 000/day or $210 000/day to sustain a stable price at those levels. When the inflow of money doesn't come in at a stable rate, then it will act as if it was a ponzi scheme, because soon after it will fluctuate in a very disturbing way. As soon as the interest is gone for a couple of weeks the price will go down dramatically and vice versa.

So my conclusion is that every time anyone or group wants to start to bring in a bigger interest for Bitcoin they are facing a very very hard competitor. They can keep the price high for a couple of weeks, that is possible. But after that the inflation just hits the price every day, it acts today like a Duracell bunny and just gives those inflation numbers to the exchanges and it will not take a pause because the interest in down for a short period. And that will very fast show it self at the exchange price, and when the price goes down people sell in the trend. Exactly the same way they did when the price went up, a herd mentality.

One of my passions of life has been to really understand why the prices in the financial markets (and pretty much everything that is traded) goes up or down. I have been doing this for more then 11 years so what I am saying is my main conclusion why we have all these people that is right now tired of the way Bitcoin is acting, everyone should understand why this reason is.

And also, many super bulls are very blind and just see the positive signs, they really live in their own world. So for the super bulls, you don't need to comment.

You're too fast and furious for me.

I bet you trade 10 sec at a time.

Tips gladly accepted: 1LPaxHPvpzN3FbaGBaZShov3EFafxJDG42
Revalin

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g

View Profile
December 13, 2011, 07:22:14 AM

It's not a Ponzi (a single fraudster faking returns) at all.  It's much closer to a pyramid (people buying in then desperately trying to get more people to buy in), though still different in a couple important ways.

As for the rest of it, that's basically what I've been saying for a while.  Until there's a lot more commerce, it's overvalued.  But everyone's so hung up on making sure they don't get left out when people start getting rich.

This won't end in 12/2012.  That will just raise the bar a little by decreasing inflation.  The fact that there's excess currency supply (currently hoarded) will eventually make itself known as people begin putting it back on the market.

This is why I occasionally toss around RevCoin (Exchange-stabilized low-inflation coins), GEM (generation-stabilized low-inflation coins), EnCoin (a more complicated system)...  All of which will undermine the wild "We're gonna be rich!" speculation, and leave pricing to market-based immediate needs and relatively short-term economic speculation.

War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.  --Ambrose Bierce
Bitcoin is the Devil's way of teaching geeks economics.  --Revalin 165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 13, 2011, 07:31:05 AM

Yes, the inflation rate is still very high, somewhere close to 25% APR right now.  About this time next year it will be around 12.5%, but will suddenly drop to about 6.25% and resume it's slow decent for another 4 years.  For any increases in the BTCUSD exchange rate to be sustainable, there must be a growth rate in the economy that exceeds that inflation rate.  For the first 18 months, there was no bitcoin economy to speak off, so for the past 18 months maintaining an economic growth rate well in excess of the inflation rate has been relatively easy starting from near zero.  However, as the economy grows larger and the monetary base grows larger, the difficulty in maintaining such levels of economic growth increases.  I still don't believe that an economic growth rate well in excess of the inflation rate is improbable, and that we are as likely to see a return to steady exchange value growth as the general perception in the strength of bitcoin increases while the general mistrust in national fiat currencies also increases.  There will always be noise in the signal to deal with, however.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
fastandfurious (OP)

View Profile
December 13, 2011, 07:31:10 AM

It's not a Ponzi (a single fraudster faking returns) at all.  It's much closer to a pyramid (people buying in then desperately trying to get more people to buy in), though still different in a couple important ways.

As for the rest of it, that's basically what I've been saying for a while.  Until there's a lot more commerce, it's overvalued.  But everyone's so hung up on making sure they don't get left out when people start getting rich.

This won't end in 12/2012.  That will just raise the bar a little by decreasing inflation.  The fact that there's excess currency supply (currently hoarded) will eventually make itself known as people begin putting it back on the market.

This is why I occasionally toss around RevCoin (Exchange-stabilized low-inflation coins), GEM (generation-stabilized low-inflation coins), EnCoin (a more complicated system)...  All of which will undermine the wild "We're gonna be rich!" speculation, and leave pricing to market-based immediate needs and relatively short-term economic speculation.

Revalin, right, pyramid scheme is more the right word. Thanks for that. Also, I think it will end in Dec 2012. The inflation rate is so much lower then, so it will have a big impact.
fastandfurious (OP)

View Profile
December 13, 2011, 07:35:09 AM

Yes, the inflation rate is still very high, somewhere close to 25% APR right now.  About this time next year it will be around 12.5%, but will suddenly drop to about 6.25% and resume it's slow decent for another 4 years.  For any increases in the BTCUSD exchange rate to be sustainable, there must be a growth rate in the economy that exceeds that inflation rate.  For the first 18 months, there was no bitcoin economy to speak off, so for the past 18 months maintaining an economic growth rate well in excess of the inflation rate has been relatively easy starting from near zero.  However, as the economy grows larger and the monetary base grows larger, the difficulty in maintaining such levels of economic growth increases.  I still don't believe that an economic growth rate well in excess of the inflation rate is improbable, and that we are as likely to see a return to steady exchange value growth as the general perception in the strength of bitcoin increases while the general mistrust in national fiat currencies also increases.  There will always be noise in the signal to deal with, however.

It is higher then that, it is around 33 % annual inflation rate today. And your conclusion is right as well, good to see people here are able to see the whole picture.
chieffery

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 13, 2011, 07:35:48 AM

Duracell bunny

Energizer Bunny.

FTFY.

BTC - 194ihPS7DTegoerp1WdRKED7PQCosyq2eL
LTC - LdTHdHo5GDDnQW5gSMNZ7zr8HFitZ7qRmC
Revalin

Activity: 728

165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g

View Profile
December 13, 2011, 07:37:08 AM

Remember: Inflation is only one component of devaluation.  The mining inflation rate is already quite small in the current scale of value change.

War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.  --Ambrose Bierce
Bitcoin is the Devil's way of teaching geeks economics.  --Revalin 165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g
fastandfurious (OP)

View Profile
December 13, 2011, 07:44:19 AM

Smiley

But the original name is Duracell. That is the name we use in Sweden.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duracell_Bunny
finway

Activity: 714

View Profile
December 13, 2011, 07:47:47 AM

I agree, see this economy:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54016.0

chieffery

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 13, 2011, 08:11:23 AM

Smiley

But the original name is Duracell. That is the name we use in Sweden.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duracell_Bunny

Holy shit, today i learned the energizer bunny was ripped off from duracel. 

BTC - 194ihPS7DTegoerp1WdRKED7PQCosyq2eL
LTC - LdTHdHo5GDDnQW5gSMNZ7zr8HFitZ7qRmC
chickenado

Activity: 1036

View Profile
December 13, 2011, 08:24:39 AM

high inflation? 25% APR is tiny considering how new bitcoin is.  Most disruptive technologies fail. But the ones that don't fail, usually grow a lot faster than 25% APR in the first few years.  
fastandfurious (OP)

View Profile
December 13, 2011, 08:33:08 AM

high inflation? 25% APR is tiny considering how new bitcoin is.  Most disruptive technologies fail. But the ones that don't fail, usually grow a lot faster than 25% APR in the first few years.  

Bitcoin today is not that tiny. The total market cap of Bitcoin is around 24 million dollars at this exchange rate. And the inflation is 33% not 25%.
lonelyminer (Peter Šurda)
Donator

Activity: 544

View Profile
December 13, 2011, 12:56:37 PM

I don't think the production rate matters that much, it's the propensity to sell BTC in general. Maybe since we already know from historical data that bubbles can form, speculators won't hoard so much and the price will adjust more quickly. Since the trade volume occurring on the exchanges is several times the amount of newly produced bitcoins (last 24 hours MTGox trade volume 47k BTC vs 7.2k produced BTC), I don't think this has much effect. Instead of a price stabilisation in Dec 2012, I expect rather that the network hash capacity adjusts itself. But I'm excited to see what happens nevertheless. From economic point of view, it is an interesting experiment, because we do have all kinds of data that is impossible to collect in other situations, and we know in advance when changes happen.

I think the value will continue to fluctuate as long as there are amateur speculators/"investors". Maybe they're all out of money now or learned their lesson about playing against the pros :-)
the founder

Activity: 448
Merit: 251

Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2011, 03:14:23 PM

this has been discussed a bunch before,  it reached the point where we had to build a calculator that explains how much money is needed to enter into the bitcoin economy.

http://www.flexcoin.com/calc/

Bitcoin RSS App / Bitcoin Android App / Bitcoin Webapp http://www.ounce.me  Say thank you here:  1HByHZQ44LUCxxpnqtXDuJVmrSdrGK6Q2f
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
December 13, 2011, 03:21:30 PM

Bitcoin today is not that tiny. The total market cap of Bitcoin is around 24 million dollars at this exchange rate. And the inflation is 33% not 25%.

That's tiny.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
December 13, 2011, 03:25:07 PM

And the inflation is 33% not 25%.

Yes, you're right.  Sorry.

So next year it will be around 25% then suddenly drop to 12.5%.

MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
December 13, 2011, 03:26:18 PM

Remember: Inflation is only one component of devaluation.  The mining inflation rate is already quite small in the current scale of value change.

explain, please.

MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
December 13, 2011, 03:28:31 PM

Isn't the inflation a good thing? Doesn't it keep the exchange rate down in the early stages so that more people can acquire some Bitcoins if they so desire? Hasn't this been discussed hundreds of times before already?

Shouldn't you understand what a ponzi scheme is and isn't before claiming, "You guys don't get it"?

Yes, indeed. The inflation rate of bitcoin is both a product of how the currency is issued as well as an inventive for miners to participate.  It's very necessary.

BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2011, 03:29:27 PM

And the inflation is 33% not 25%.

Yes, you're right.  Sorry.

So next year it will be around 25% then suddenly drop to 12.5%.

Wait, I thought it was going to cut the block reward in half, why is it going from 33, 25, then 12.5?  

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: