Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 12:31:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to Integrate Email Address to Bitcoin LN?  (Read 62 times)
elevates (OP)

Activity: 742
Merit: 390

View Profile
April 18, 2023, 12:37:02 PM
Last edit: April 18, 2023, 12:51:23 PM by elevates
Merited by OmegaStarScream (3), dkbit98 (1)

This news: MicroStrategy CEO Integrates Bitcoin Lightning Network to Corporate Email has been trending throughout today and maybe tomorrow. I was not sure how it is done so I went ahead and did a Google search and as usual Google gave results that did not make any sense. It is possible that I might not be entering the right keyword.

That is when I realized why not search the forum. I found some pretty interesting threads and one of them was about the  lightningaddress.com. I did visit the website and found that there are three options.

I understood that Self-Hosted is the way to get my desired result. What I want to know is there a simple way to get what I want. As I am not someone with such technical understanding.

Is there any other platform that can help me with my requirement in a simple way?

EDIT: I am looking to get an address like  xyz@gmail.com or xyz@mydomain.com
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3458
Merit: 6108

View Profile
April 18, 2023, 12:41:15 PM
Merited by elevates (1)

The site you mentioned has a list of services that gives you lightning addresses. I would go with Wallet of Satoshi as its pretty easy to use but obviously, when you're using these services, you will be stuck with their domain names:

Code:
@bitrefill.me
@walletofsatoshi.com
etc.

If you want to implement the same thing with your own domain name, then I'm afraid you will need some technical knowledge.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
elevates (OP)

View Profile
April 18, 2023, 12:48:50 PM

The site you mentioned has a list of services that gives you lightning addresses. I would go with Wallet of Satoshi as its pretty easy to use but obviously, when you're using these services, you will be stuck with their domain names:

Code:
@bitrefill.me
@walletofsatoshi.com
etc.

If you want to implement the same thing with your own domain name, then I'm afraid you will need some technical knowledge.

How to get your own domain name? I am aware that we can get selected domain names with our own alias. The question still remains the same how can I get an address like - xyz@gmail.com
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
April 18, 2023, 01:03:17 PM

How to get your own domain name? I am aware that we can get selected domain names with our own alias. The question still remains the same how can I get an address like - xyz@gmail.com

I could be wrong but I don't think it's possible to use gmail, outlook, etc. since you don't own these domains.

But if you want a custom domain, then from my understanding, you can buy a domain name (like you would for your website) and a server for your LN node and then run bridgeaddr as explained here[1].

[1] https://bridgeaddr.fiatjaf.com/

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
elevates (OP)

View Profile
April 18, 2023, 01:26:58 PM

I could be wrong but I don't think it's possible to use gmail, outlook, etc. since you don't own these domains.

But if you want a custom domain, then from my understanding, you can buy a domain name (like you would for your website) and a server for your LN node and then run bridgeaddr as explained here[1].

[1] https://bridgeaddr.fiatjaf.com/

Thanks again OmegaStarScream for your instant reply. I went through it and found it very interesting. I would need some time to understand it.
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
April 23, 2023, 01:07:08 PM

Thanks again OmegaStarScream for your instant reply. I went through it and found it very interesting. I would need some time to understand it.

Check the second part of this article that came out yesterday[1].

I haven't tried this myself, but apparently, you should be able to use alby to achieve what you want. You will still need to buy your own server and domain, but you won't have to install or run anything.

[1] https://decrypt.co/137557/how-michael-saylor-create-bitcoin-lightning-email-address

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████