Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 12:11:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Solo mining help  (Read 892 times)
boggym777

Activity: 56
Merit: 14

View Profile
October 18, 2023, 01:12:13 PM

Hi philipma,

I tried to find the pools you mentioned above, and for ckpool & kano pool the browser did not want to go there saying that they have malware.
The only one that worked somehow was the viabtc pool.
As I am a new miner (I will be in short time), do you recommend viabtc pool over the braiins one? I know that braiins is very old, and somehow respectable, however I do not know too much about the fees, and other things a pool might have. I am in the process of documenting myself til my antminer arrives.

Thank you
Braiins isn't that old.
The name is very recent, and the pool was bought from someone else long after a number of pools existed (including after my pool existed)
Since they bought the pool there have been, on a few occasions, issues about them paying out less than expected due to pool issues that they ignored.
They also are pushing transaction bias, which is very bad for bitcoin.
Hi かの,
I appreciate your reply, and I understand what you say, however when I tried to get to setup an account for your pool, I got a message from FireFox saying that there is malicious content ahead, and forbid me to get there. Would you please tell me what URL is the one for your pool? I tried the same thing, as you can see from my reply above, to get to ckpool, and I had the same issue.
Any advice is appreciated.
Thank you

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4480
Merit: 1800

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
October 18, 2023, 01:15:28 PM

Hi philipma,

I tried to find the pools you mentioned above, and for ckpool & kano pool the browser did not want to go there saying that they have malware.
As I am a new miner (I will be in short time), do you recommend viabtc pool over the braiins one? I know that braiins is very old, and somehow respectable, however I do not know too much about the fees, and other things a pool might have. I am in the process of documenting myself til my antminer arrives.

Thank you
Braiins isn't that old.
The name is very recent, and the pool was bought from someone else long after a number of pools existed (including after my pool existed)
Since they bought the pool there have been, on a few occasions, issues about them paying out less than expected due to pool issues that they ignored.
Hi かの,
I appreciate your reply, and I understand what you say, however when I tried to get to setup an account for your pool, I got a message from FireFox saying that there is malicious content ahead, and forbid me to get there. Would you please tell me what URL is the one for your pool? I tried the same thing, as you can see from my reply above, to get to ckpool, and I had the same issue.
Thank you
You'll have to tell firefox to allow it.
Nothing I can do about firefox lying.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
boggym777

View Profile
October 18, 2023, 03:32:00 PM

Hi philipma,

Thank you
Braiins isn't that old.
Hi かの,
Thank you
I understand.
Would you please be so kind and give me the URL for the pool so that I can try again?
Thank you
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 2520

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
October 18, 2023, 10:17:17 PM

It's the 1st thing in Kano's sig...
https://kano.is

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
mikeywith
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 6366

be constructive or S.T.F.U

View Profile
October 18, 2023, 11:37:37 PM

Ckpool (the normal pool) is no longer running, there is only the solo version of it online, and you probably don't want to use that unless you know what you are doing, the correct link to it is https://solo.ckpool.org/

Kano pool is a small pool that doesn't find blocks way too often and thus you will likely have to wait for way too long to get paid, in theory, eventually, the payout should be higher than the other pools since it has the lowest fees, I personally don't like to bear such variance, but to each his own idea.

Viabtc is a good pool that has all 3 payment methods PPS+ , PPLNS and Solo, you said you got the link to it, so i won't post it.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Biffa
Legendary

Activity: 3220
Merit: 1220

View Profile
October 19, 2023, 12:17:14 PM

Kano pool is a small pool that doesn't find blocks way too often and thus you will likely have to wait for way too long to get paid, in theory, eventually, the payout should be higher than the other pools since it has the lowest fees, I personally don't like to bear such variance, but to each his own idea.

@op They say they have malware because they are associated with or have downloads of cgminer on them and some web filters eroneously consider any site with miner software downloads is a trojan/virus/compromised site.

With regards to small pools, of course the variance is directly related to the hashrate of the pool, so the more people mine there the less the variance affects the outcome.

Some people are super sensitive to variance, even on large pools, they jump ship when there is a run of bad luck.

Using these smaller pools and boosting their hashrate may be a good way of getting around the larger pools becoming more and more restrictive with sign-up requirements and lack of anonymity.

Mine @ pools that pay Tx fees & don't mine empty blocks :: kanopool :: ckpool ::
Should bitmain create LPM for all models?
:: Dalcore's Crypto Mining H/W Hosting Directory & Reputation ::
boggym777

View Profile
October 19, 2023, 01:21:14 PM

It's the 1st thing in Kano's sig...
https://kano.is
I clicked on the link you posted, and FireFox displayed me that:

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to kano.is. PR_CONNECT_RESET_ERROR

Error code: PR_CONNECT_RESET_ERROR

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
    Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.
boggym777

View Profile
October 19, 2023, 02:51:28 PM

Ckpool (the normal pool) is no longer running, there is only the solo version of it online, and you probably don't want to use that unless you know what you are doing, the correct link to it is https://solo.ckpool.org/

Viabtc is a good pool that has all 3 payment methods PPS+ , PPLNS and Solo, you said you got the link to it, so i won't post it.

Thank you very much for your response.
I think I will stay with ViaBTC as it was the only one that opened properly.
mikeywith
Legendary

View Profile
October 19, 2023, 08:05:44 PM

Viabtc is a good pool, however, using only the fact that stupid firefox opened that without an issue unlike the rest of the pools is a terrible idea, it should not be your point of judgment, most browsers and security applications are stupid and paranoid over anything crypto.

Did you try a different browser?

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
boggym777

View Profile
October 20, 2023, 12:40:25 PM

Viabtc is a good pool, however, using only the fact that stupid firefox opened that without an issue unlike the rest of the pools is a terrible idea, it should not be your point of judgment, most browsers and security applications are stupid and paranoid over anything crypto.

No, I tried only FireFox. I trust it because it is also open source. Should I try with Chrome & Edge, or something else?
Thank you
boggym777

View Profile
October 20, 2023, 12:59:11 PM

I just tried Chrome and Edge for Kano's pool and they both told me that the site does not exist.
I also tried on both the URL you suggested https://solo.ckpool.org/, and I got the message that it is not secure, so it would not let me connect.
Also my antivirus sent me a notification that the site has malware ...
boggym777

View Profile
October 20, 2023, 01:09:12 PM

I tried on FireFox on my Apple laptop for https://solo.ckpool.org/, and it worked, so I guess my antivirus (from the company I work for) blocked it.
So your suggestion would be to use this one instead of ViaBTC? By the way, for ViaBTC I found this URL: www.viabtc.com, which is not like the other ones I saw ... Do you have by chance the "real" URL towards ViaBTC please?
Thank you again
boggym777

View Profile
October 20, 2023, 03:57:29 PM

Hi philipma,

Thank you
Braiins isn't that old.
Hi かの,
Thank you
Hi again かの,
I managed to connect to your pool using the FireFox on my Apple laptop. It seems that the antivirus I was having on my PC did not allow the connection.
So I should simply register on your pool, and use the settings suggested there when I configure my Antminer?
Thank you
boggym777

View Profile
October 20, 2023, 04:00:03 PM
Last edit: October 20, 2023, 08:22:05 PM by boggym777

I managed to connect to kano.is using FireFox on my laptop, so it seems that here too my antivirus was not allowing the connection.
So right now as I gained access to both these pools, the kano pool and the solo.ckpool
Is the ViaBTC a legit one? I mean the www.viabtc.com is a legit pool, or a copycat?
So right now from those 3, kano pool, solo.ckpool & viabitc, which one do you suggest to be more appropriate for a noob like me?
Thank you
mikeywith
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2023, 01:51:04 AM

Is the ViaBTC a legit one? I mean the www.viabtc.com is a legit pool, or a copycat?
So right now from those 3, kano pool, solo.ckpool & viabitc, which one do you suggest to be more appropriate for a noob like me?
Thank you

Yes the legit link is www.viabtc.com

As for which one to use you need to first understand that they are pretty different, and then decide for yourself:

solo.ckpool : is more of a gambling way of mining, it's either you hit a whole block and take home 6.25 BTC or earn nothing, there is a 99.99% change that you don't earn anything, but ya, a tiny little slim chance that you win big (not for serious mining but rather lottery way of mining)

Kano.is: it is a small PPLNS pool, given its hashrate, it doesn't find blocks as often, so you are going to need to wait for it to happen, if it hits a block a week after you join it, you would make more on that than mining on Viabtc for a few months or so, but it's also possible that you don't get any rewards for maybe a year.

Viabtc: a PPS pool with high fees where you are guaranteed to get daily payouts and not subject to luck, if the pool finds more block than "usual" they would keep the the extra, if they find less, they would pay you out of their own pocket, so you will operate on the basis of 100% - 4% fee regardless.

If this was to be measured against infinity, i.e if you were going to mine forever then the pool with the lowest fee would be the one to go for, but since that isn't the case, you are forced to pick one, you can think of the above three pools as

ck > very high risk - very high rewards
kano > medium risk - medium rewards
Viabtc > low risk - low rewards

There are other PPS pools with lower fees if you want to explore them such as Binance pool with 2.5% fee, but then you will be forced to use their exchange, i.e you can't set external payouts, they send you the payouts to your exchange wallet and then you take them out from there, so it might involve some KYC or your country might be banned by Binance.

But ya anyway, once you understand what you do you want to do with mining, picking the right pool for you would be a lot easier.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
boggym777

View Profile
October 21, 2023, 02:34:47 PM

Thank you

As for which one to use you need to first understand that they are pretty different, and then decide for yourself:

solo.ckpool : is more of a gambling way of mining, it's either you hit a whole block and take home 6.25 BTC or earn nothing, there is a 99.99% change that you don't earn anything, but ya, a tiny little slim chance that you win big (not for serious mining but rather lottery way of mining)

Kano.is: it is a small PPLNS pool, given its hashrate, it doesn't find blocks as often, so you are going to need to wait for it to happen, if it hits a block a week after you join it, you would make more on that than mining on Viabtc for a few months or so, but it's also possible that you don't get any rewards for maybe a year.

Viabtc: a PPS pool with high fees where you are guaranteed to get daily payouts and not subject to luck, if the pool finds more block than "usual" they would keep the the extra, if they find less, they would pay you out of their own pocket, so you will operate on the basis of 100% - 4% fee regardless.

If this was to be measured against infinity, i.e if you were going to mine forever then the pool with the lowest fee would be the one to go for, but since that isn't the case, you are forced to pick one, you can think of the above three pools as

There are other PPS pools with lower fees if you want to explore them such as Binance pool with 2.5% fee, but then you will be forced to use their exchange, i.e you can't set external payouts, they send you the payouts to your exchange wallet and then you take them out from there, so it might involve some KYC or your country might be banned by Binance.

But ya anyway, once you understand what you do you want to do with mining, picking the right pool for you would be a lot easier.
Thank you very much for your insights Mikeywith,
I saw in a video about setting up the Antminer S19 that I have, that it is also possible to have like 3 pools simultaneously. Do you think that it would be worth it to put those 3 together?
I mean Binance (I am in Canada so I do not think that it is banned), ck & kano?
Thank you
boggym777

View Profile
October 21, 2023, 05:52:26 PM

Thank you

Actually it seems that Canada is restricted for binance ...
mikeywith
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2023, 09:02:40 PM

I didn't know that, but after a bit of research I found this

Binance’s exit from Canada
Binance took to Twitter on May 12, 2023 to announce their proactive departure from Canada. They cited that the Canadian marketplace was no longer tenable for them after the CSA released guidelines surrounding new regulatory procedures for non-registered crypto trading platforms.

https://creditcardgenius.ca/blog/binance-canada

Perhaps read more about it so that you know whom to vote for in the coming election,  Cheesy many old farts are against anything crypto.

Well then, sadly, no 2.5% for you, you are going to need to pay the 4% on Viabtc, but ya it's worth it, they have a great app that you can use to monitor your hashrate, get notifications and all that, based on my own experience Viabtc has one of the best mobile apps.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
boggym777

View Profile
October 22, 2023, 01:53:38 PM

I didn't know that, but after a bit of research I found this

Binance’s exit from Canada
Binance took to Twitter on May 12, 2023 to announce their proactive departure from Canada. They cited that the Canadian marketplace was no longer tenable for them after the CSA released guidelines surrounding new regulatory procedures for non-registered crypto trading platforms.

https://creditcardgenius.ca/blog/binance-canada

Perhaps read more about it so that you know whom to vote for in the coming election,  Cheesy many old farts are against anything crypto.

Well then, sadly, no 2.5% for you, you are going to need to pay the 4% on Viabtc, but ya it's worth it, they have a great app that you can use to monitor your hashrate, get notifications and all that, based on my own experience Viabtc has one of the best mobile apps.
Yeah, actually it is a young fart right now in charge. Hopefully not for long. As governments are exponents of centralization, would be a bit weird that a politician (like right now Robert Kennedy Jr.) or a government would support crypto as crypto is a symbol of decentralization. Our young fart however is on the extreme left, so he will never be in favour, and if he says he is, than this is a fat lie.
Do you by any chance know any other pools like binance? It is weird that I cannot connect to a pool in US for instance ...
Also, regarding what I was asking about my miner, would it be possible to have 3 pools entered? Or only one?
Thank you
paid2

Activity: 686
Merit: 2050

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2023, 03:27:11 PM
Merited by mikeywith (4)

Yeah, actually it is a young fart right now in charge. Hopefully not for long. As governments are exponents of centralization, would be a bit weird that a politician (like right now Robert Kennedy Jr.) or a government would support crypto as crypto is a symbol of decentralization. Our young fart however is on the extreme left, so he will never be in favour, and if he says he is, than this is a fat lie.
Do you by any chance know any other pools like binance? It is weird that I cannot connect to a pool in US for instance ...

Canada is a hell for cryptos, and has been for already a pretty long time (like with Ontario's situation for example). Btw, it's a good thing Binance isn't available to you, the fewer users they have (CEX, pool, partner sites) the better the crypto world will be.

To choose a pool, you can use the following web page, which shows the pools and the number of blocks solved by each of them for the last year (you can change the timeframe at the top)

https://mempool.space/fr/graphs/mining/pools#1y

It's up to you to explore them, and make your choice according to your personal situation. Some will put you under restrictions, others won't, some will have more or less variance in incomes, the choice is yours.
The most important thing is to choose a pool that pays fees to miners - I guess you don't want to deprive yourself of this source of income.

Also, regarding what I was asking about my miner, would it be possible to have 3 pools entered? Or only one?

The pool #2 will only be active when #1 is offline/dead.
The pool #3 will only be active when #2 is offline/dead.

Normally, almost all your shares will go to pool #1. Entering more than one is optional.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████