Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 09:09:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Crowdfunding 1200 BTC (335 BTC pledged) for Automata RTS Game  (Read 11165 times)
kiba (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
April 09, 2011, 04:51:52 AM

I'm throwing in 10BTC.
I'll also give you 100BTC when it's done.
Done means you can put it in a box at supertarget next to world of goo.

I guess that mean you're only going to give me 10 BTC.

100 BTC is like several years later. I mean, it takes Angry Bird 9 years to be an overnight success.

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Diablo

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 09, 2011, 05:59:53 AM

I realized that I need alpha tester to provide me quality data about the game. I also saw an opportunity to reorder the reward level to make it fit and how much.
I'll raise mine to 10 BTC then. Now stop using the foot in door trick.
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 09, 2011, 06:02:32 AM

I realized that I need alpha tester to provide me quality data about the game. I also saw an opportunity to reorder the reward level to make it fit and how much.
I'll raise mine to 10 BTC then. Now stop using the foot in door trick.

Thank you for increasing your pledge!

Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2011, 06:23:29 AM

Actually Kiba, I suspect you could use the stock exchange to raise funds for this, set up an organisation and sell shares(ownership) in it to raise the capital to develop the game, then the company can generate income by running a server for the game, charge a monthly fee or something with bitcoin. May dividend payments to shareholders of profit.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 09, 2011, 06:26:03 AM

Actually Kiba, I suspect you could use the stock exchange to raise funds for this, set up an organisation and sell shares(ownership) in it to raise the capital to develop the game, then the company can generate income by running a server for the game, charge a monthly fee or something with bitcoin. May dividend payments to shareholders of profit.

I am not selling ownership. I am selling a product, along with exclusive access and virtual goodies.

For Eris' sake, it's public domain! When I am finished with the hardcore month long coding marathon, you guys can set up your own servers independently of mine and charge for how much bitcoin you think you can get.

Even when I am finished with pounding intensely the game out, it will still need lot and lot of polishing. Hopefully, I'll earn some additional money that will support me. If not, next game project!

em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2011, 07:24:38 AM

increase my pledge from 5 to 50 btc.  but i want a nice product.

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 09, 2011, 01:45:56 PM

increase my pledge from 5 to 50 btc.  but i want a nice product.

Thank you!

(though I want to build a high quality game from the start)

kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 10, 2011, 12:18:44 AM

I saw that I was not generous about memory slots, so I decided to upped the items.

Memory slots are great if you save great designs. Great against players who only utilize only human memory to remember designs.

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 10, 2011, 04:34:44 PM

The following is kind of related to your concept of crowdfunding where the "investor" gets early access to the final product.  

I hadn't known of this cinemashares approach before so I'm sharing the link:
  http://www.cinemashares.com/about.html

Apparently they believe these ideas to be patentable:
   - Patent: 6,792,411 http://1.usa.gov/gPXxvx
   - Patent: 7,885,887 http://1.usa.gov/hyXWmK

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

em3rgentOrdr

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2011, 08:50:03 PM

The following is kind of related to your concept of crowdfunding where the "investor" gets early access to the final product.  

I hadn't known of this cinemashares approach before so I'm sharing the link:
  http://www.cinemashares.com/about.html

Apparently they believe these ideas to be patentable:
   - Patent: 6,792,411 http://1.usa.gov/gPXxvx
   - Patent: 7,885,887 http://1.usa.gov/hyXWmK

Oh my god! Those patents are downright hilarious!

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
Clarithium

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2011, 11:55:22 PM

Have you considered recruiting others to help create the project?

Advertisers, coders, ect.  Some people might be interested enough to do it for free.. Take FPSBanana's (Now GameBanana) old "MegaMod" for example.  Though it failed due to the site being DDoS'd everyday, the project managed to gain some-13+ people and create some truly fantastic work. 

I know a guy who created the game called Subvein entirely by himself.  His biggest regret was him not having anybody on board.

I make websites for bitcoins! Will help you host!Click Here
Bitcoin Mining Rigs
1CrNUxx8E9ds1jQ1dexp9FFjhcuUqupdmN
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 11, 2011, 02:09:56 AM

Advertisers, coders, ect.  Some people might be interested enough to do it for free.. Take FPSBanana's (Now GameBanana) old "MegaMod" for example.  Though it failed due to the site being DDoS'd everyday, the project managed to gain some-13+ people and create some truly fantastic work. 

I know a guy who created the game called Subvein entirely by himself.  His biggest regret was him not having anybody on board.

I am not sure if the complicated relationship is worth the labor.

kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 11, 2011, 05:05:52 AM

Come on guys! Even a 5 BTC pledge helps!

BioMike
Legendary

Activity: 1658
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 11, 2011, 05:19:18 AM

I want to help, but still have some questions.

1) In what programming language will it be coded?
1a) What libraries will be used?
1b) Will I be able to run it on a Linux system?
2) Will it be open sourced or not? (Not a requirement for me to donate, but still good to know).
3) What are your plans after releasing the game? Support and more games?
4) When do you consider it to be finished (and have the funding being paid out)?

kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 11, 2011, 05:32:43 AM
Last edit: April 11, 2011, 05:42:48 AM by kiba

1) In what programming language will it be coded?

100% javascript except the deployment mechanism and other various miscellanea background development tasks.

1a) What libraries will be used?

Primary in coffeescript, processing.js, node.js, and some type of database that I have yet to picked out.

1b) Will I be able to run it on a Linux system?

As long you run a modern browser(Chrome and Firefox 4), you'll be fine. Not sure if I can support IE9.

2) Will it be open sourced or not? (Not a requirement for me to donate, but still good to know).

Even better. It will be public domain addition to being open source. No string attached. It will be tripled public domained for good measure. CC0, Unlicense, and WTFPL. Choose whatever make you free the most.

3) What are your plans after releasing the game? Support and more games?

I'll continue working on it either in maintenance mode or in steady development. It won't be the intense development cycle that was in alpha. It really depends on how commercially successful this game at that point.

Otherwise, I will be looking at freelance jobs or asking money for my next game.

4) When do you consider it to be finished (and have the funding being paid out)?
When I completed gameplay features and entered beta. Every week, users will get to test out a version. Pledgers can pay all or pay partially. This process continues until the game is completed.

P.S. I really need to complete the rails site I was building for automata-rts and put all the answered information and stuff into one slick marketing copy.

BioMike
Legendary

View Profile
April 11, 2011, 07:02:51 PM

Ok, I pledge 50BTC (want a map named BioMike Wink ).

BTW, is there still someone as an escrow needed?
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 11, 2011, 07:19:17 PM

Ok, I pledge 50BTC (want a map named BioMike Wink ).

BTW, is there still someone as an escrow needed?

Nobody volunteers to be an escrow.

And thank you! That push me beyond 25% of bitcoin raised!

BioMike
Legendary

View Profile
April 11, 2011, 08:43:45 PM

Nobody volunteers to be an escrow.

I have a client running on my server, but no coins in there. I'll make a new address for this tomorrow and post it here as an escrow account.
Unless someone objects...
em3rgentOrdr

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2011, 06:27:29 AM

kiba, one question: will bitcoin be usable as an in-game currency to allow players to purchase units, upgrades, trade with other players, or as prizes, for example?

kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 12, 2011, 10:31:23 AM

kiba, one question: will bitcoin be usable as an in-game currency to allow players to purchase units, upgrades, trade with other players, or as prizes, for example?

Designs(memory slots) are tradable but there is no new units or upgrades.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: