Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 07:45:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Electrum + Ledger Multisig?  (Read 250 times)
julerz12 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1108

Telegram: @julerz12

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2023, 01:34:46 PM

You misunderstood me. You can see the recipient's address on the display. You cannot check your own receiving address.

You just have to create in a file or print out a list of your addresses and check against it.
I see. Thank you for the swift response. I'll make sure to do that.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Zaguru12

Activity: 686
Merit: 867

View Profile
December 06, 2023, 02:29:25 PM
Merited by o_e_l_e_o (4), Charles-Tim (1)

Will do. I'm trying to get my hands on another device.
BTW, I saw that Electrum has an Android app, would that suffice as the third setup? A mobile phone that is air-gapped. Or that app has limitations?

Yes there is limitation between electrum desktop and the android. The limitations I can recall it’s users complain about are lack of coin control but you can freeze addresses, it doesn’t have the manual customization fee except you use the static slider and then doesn’t sign messages. So i don’t think it would be possible to run another co-signer on it. Other phone wallets like BlueWallet are better but the problem would be to importing the electrum seed phrase into BlueWallet because electrum doesn’t use the BIP39 seed phrase.

But if there is a way to create an electrum multi sig wallet using the BIP39 seed phrase rather than the electrum seed phrase it self it could be possible.

Let me tag @o_e_l_e_o to shade more light if it is possible

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Husna QA
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 2861

#SWGT CERTIK Audited

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2023, 02:35:19 PM
Merited by o_e_l_e_o (4)

I use such a ledger + electrum 2-of-2 wallet for long term storage. Besides the obvious pros there are a few cons:
1. On the ledger display it is impossible to check the receiving address. Ledger can't check the change address either. There is no such problem with some other hardware wallets.
Crap, that's a bummer. I haven't tried sending a transaction yet so I didn't know. Is there any solution for this?
You misunderstood me. You can see the recipient's address on the display. You cannot check your own receiving address.

You just have to create in a file or print out a list of your addresses and check against it.

When Ledger is connected to Electrum, you can see your receiving address via Electrum on the Addresses tab, like the example I made previously below:

-snip-
Go to the 'Addresses' tab (View Menu -> Show Addresses), and make sure the addresses in all Cosigners are the same:

- Address Wallet (cosigner) 1:

- Address Wallet (cosigner) 2:

2. You cannot sign a message.
I noticed this too.

The following is the statement by ecdsa and SomberNight regarding this matter.

you do not sign a message with an address, but with a public key.

There is currently no way in the GUI/CLI to sign/verify a message with a privkey/pubkey; only "with" an address. If someone implements this, it could get merged, most certainly for the CLI. It does not look difficult to do.

BTW, I saw that Electrum has an Android app, would that suffice as the third setup?

You can use the Android version of Electrum to create a Multi-Signature wallet.

-Image source

o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Merit: 18509

View Profile
December 06, 2023, 02:44:46 PM
Merited by Zaguru12 (2)

At least on the 3rd and final Electrum, I can see the receiving address. Sort of like final screening before broadcasting the transaction rather than Ledger broadcasting it out without knowing if the receiving address is correct.
Why do you need a third Electrum? Create the transaction on Electrum (but don't sign it), sign it with your Ledger device, then the review the partially signed transaction on the same copy of Electrum to ensure it is correct before applying the second signature and broadcasting it.

Although as igor72 has pointed out, this affects the change address, not the payment address.

Let me tag @o_e_l_e_o to shade more light if it is possible
It is true that the mobile Electrum has a number of limitations as you've said, but these don't really apply here. Since the mobile Electrum would be one co-signer in a multi-sig wallet (which it is perfectly capable of), julerz12 can use his desktop Electrum to create the transaction, use coin control, set a custom fee, and so on, and then just use the mobile Electrum to sign the transaction he's already created.
igor72
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 2003

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile
December 06, 2023, 02:58:10 PM

When Ledger is connected to Electrum, you can see your receiving address via Electrum on the Addresses tab
Yes, but how reliable is it? There has to be a reason for requiring verification of the receiving address on the device display, right? I suspect that malware is capable of displaying fake addresses on the Address tab.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Husna QA
Legendary

#SWGT CERTIK Audited

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2023, 01:12:45 AM

When Ledger is connected to Electrum, you can see your receiving address via Electrum on the Addresses tab
Yes, but how reliable is it? There has to be a reason for requiring verification of the receiving address on the device display, right? I suspect that malware is capable of displaying fake addresses on the Address tab.

As far as I know, when connected to Electrum, Ledger and other hardware wallets, such as Trezor, do not display the receiving address on the hardware wallet screen. It differs when connected to the default software, such as Ledger Live or Trezor Suite. When determining the receiving address, there is confirmation on the screen of each hardware wallet.

Above, I tried to provide a solution for that, especially because the Multi-Signature wallet was used this time, so you can double-check the suitability of the receiving address on the multi-sig wallet on each Electrum on a separate device.

So far, I have never read of a case where a hardware wallet was connected to Electrum, and all the existing addresses turned out to be different from those the hardware wallet should have had.

I have read a case where an address was copied, but the results differed after pasting it. The context is no longer in Electrum or the hardware wallet but in the OS (which was affected by the clipboard hijacker malware). If this is the case, you should ensure that your OS is free from malware or viruses, even before installing Electrum and creating a multi-signature wallet.

igor72
Legendary

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile
December 07, 2023, 04:49:01 AM
Merited by Husna QA (2)

As far as I know, when connected to Electrum, Ledger and other hardware wallets, such as Trezor, do not display the receiving address on the hardware wallet screen. It differs when connected to the default software, such as Ledger Live or Trezor Suite. When determining the receiving address, there is confirmation on the screen of each hardware wallet.
There is a button in the form of an eye, when you press it, the address is shown on the display of the device.
Above, I tried to provide a solution for that, especially because the Multi-Signature wallet was used this time, so you can double-check the suitability of the receiving address on the multi-sig wallet on each Electrum on a separate device.
Yes, if you use two Electrums on different computers. But it is much more convenient to have such a wallet on one Electrum, and in this case full support of multisig by hardware wallet is very desirable.
So far, I have never read of a case where a hardware wallet was connected to Electrum, and all the existing addresses turned out to be different from those the hardware wallet should have had.
I didn't see it either. But it seems possible to me.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Husna QA
Legendary

#SWGT CERTIK Audited

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2023, 06:57:37 AM
Merited by igor72 (2)

There is a button in the form of an eye, when you press it, the address is shown on the display of the device.

Thank you for the information; I just realized there is a feature to display the receiving address on the hardware wallet in Electrum.

To display the receiving address on the hardware wallet screen, you can also right-click one of the addresses, for example, Show on Ledger.

I haven't tried a Multi-sig wallet with just one Electrum and hardware wallet. I don't know whether Trezor can still display the receiving address on the multi-sig wallet. Maybe I'll try it another time.

igor72
Legendary

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile
December 07, 2023, 07:27:59 AM

I haven't tried a Multi-sig wallet with just one Electrum and hardware wallet. I don't know whether Trezor can still display the receiving address on the multi-sig wallet. Maybe I'll try it another time.
I'm not 100% sure, but I think Electrum shows multisig addresses on Tresor. On Jade it does, I just checked it. It seems to work with other hardware wallets as well. Only on Ledger it doesn't work with either Electrum or Sparrow.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████