Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 06:47:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: HODL bitcoins, you can do it! Look at HODL camp map to build up strong hands  (Read 2898 times)
UchihaSarada

Activity: 434
Merit: 141

View Profile
March 01, 2024, 12:11:37 PM
Merited by JayJuanGee (1)

It's not this thread, but it is over the years more and more people had been taking their coins off of exchanges, including a lot of the fear from the various scammers from 2022, such as Terra Luna, Blockfi, Celsius, 3AC, Voyager, FTX and Genesis.. .. So those kinds of scams cause more and more people to take their coins into self-custody, and so when there is so much demand for more and more BTC, the BTC are not available... including that if the various ETFs buy the coins, they are not allowed to recirculate them, they are supposed to stay in their custody, so that causes additional upward pressures on BTC prices..because of the less liquidity.. of course, if the price goes up, then some folks will move their coins onto exchanges to sell them, but I am kind of thinking that we are going to need 2x to 3x price increases from here to incentivize some folks to want to sell some of their coins, and that still might not be enough coins to address the liquidity problem that currently continues to exist.
One more factor I want to add to the fact that Bitcoin in circulation is becoming less and less is that today Bitcoin can be used for more purposes, increasing the applicability of Bitcoin instead of just storing it on the exchange like yesterday. They can use Bitcoin to mint NFTs right on the Bitcoin blockchain (Bitcoin Ordinals), thereby trading NFTs, contributing to burning a significant amount of Bitcoin fees as this trend shows no signs of stopping. Additionally, they can use Bitcoin as collateral on Defi applications to seek additional profits instead of just buying and holding on exchanges.

J A C K B I T   |   FreeSpins & FreeBets      Welcome Bonus     Rakeback VIP Club
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄ ▄▄▄   C R Y P T O   C A S I N O   &   S P O R T S B O O K   ▄▄▄ ▄▄▄

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MusaPk

Activity: 630
Merit: 195

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2024, 02:11:16 PM

Well, usually timelines have to do with when you might need the money, and so there could be stages in which you are able to front load your investment in the beginning, so then by the time that you get 6-7 years in, then you might transition to investing in other things and maybe you don't quite need the money, so maybe you are anticipating that you might start to withdraw some of the money in a 20-25 year timeline.  It is good to have some expectations that might go out quite a way into the future, even if you might not know specifics, and you can adjust your plans as you go, since they will also make more sense once you have various investments and you might consider which ones will you start to draw upon first, and so hopefully you would have something other than bitcoin to draw upon first, yet sometimes for practicality purposes, you might have less ability to draw on some of them prior to others.

Consider me as a guy who is not very old in crypto or a person who learned DCA, LUMP SUM and on DIPS for just a year ago. Because it also take time before you start believing in Bitcoin that it's good investment for long term.
As I already told in earlier post that I have been accumulating (DCA manner) for almost a year ago and I am now fully aware of how to move forward. That's why I am saying that if I aggressively invest for next 6 to 7 years then I will be in some top Hypo's.
You got it right that for me after 20 to 25 years I won't be that young to invest and will need to withdraw what I have been investing for my whole life.   
There are few other investments going in parallel with Bitcoin and if I survive for next 20 to 30 years then I will be able to enjoy that Smiley
What I have learned so far is that strategies can be readjusted with time. As I will spend more time here, I will learn more about Bitcoin and might have better plans about investing in Bitcoin.

That also reason why most people haven't invested in bitcoin yet ,because of their financial capability, for instance people that barely cover their expenses with their earning can't think of investing (funds they need to survive) . So having a good cash flow as already given a head start. And would also make your accumulating with DCA strategies or any other strategies More effective, Other things that matter in your investment is how frequent you are in your accumulating. Because the more you accumulating (aggressively) the more and faster your portfolio would grow expecially having a good cash flow, and Also you would need a good principles for you to be able to be patient, while holding for long.

Well to start invest in Bitcoin you need motivation more then capital. There is no minimum capital you need to start investing in Bitcoin, one can start investing in Bitcoin with any money. Cash flow along with 8 other factors influence your decision about investing in Bitcoin for long term. Those who have never invested a single penny  into Bitcoin will never have idea about what these 9 factors are.

Miles2006

Activity: 224
Merit: 149

Cashback 15%

View Profile
March 01, 2024, 03:18:00 PM

it seems that everyone should be considering at least getting off zero and probably allocating 5% to 25% of their quasi-liquid investment portfolio into bitcoin. .. and surely each person has to choose for themselves in regards to both the questions of whether to invest into bitcoin and if so then, how much
In Bitcoin  If we use a good strategy and professional investment method, we can get good profit in short period of time, but the higher the profit, the higher the risk.
You're actually wrong, there's no strategy you apply in bitcoin investment that will bring profit within a short period of time except you want to gamble with your investment. Holding bitcoin is totally different from trading and gambling. Holding bitcoin is not so risky like what most people think besides as a newbie you should not channel all your attention on the risk involved when you need to learn about accumulating strategy. The only problem people get with investing is greed, lack of patience and inadequate finance or else I don't get why an investor will want to gamble with bitcoin investment.

Promocodeudo

Activity: 378
Merit: 182

Play Bitcoin PVP Prediction Game

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2024, 05:59:47 PM

it seems that everyone should be considering at least getting off zero and probably allocating 5% to 25% of their quasi-liquid investment portfolio into bitcoin. .. and surely each person has to choose for themselves in regards to both the questions of whether to invest into bitcoin and if so then, how much
In Bitcoin  If we use a good strategy and professional investment method, we can get good profit in short period of time, but the higher the profit, the higher the risk.
You're actually wrong, there's no strategy you apply in bitcoin investment that will bring profit within a short period of time except you want to gamble with your investment. Holding bitcoin is totally different from trading and gambling. Holding bitcoin is not so risky like what most people think besides as a newbie you should not channel all your attention on the risk involved when you need to learn about accumulating strategy. The only problem people get with investing is greed, lack of patience and inadequate finance or else I don't get why an investor will want to gamble with bitcoin investment.

The only strategy investors can use to buy, is when there is hopeful sign of increment in the price, topical example is, last week the price of bitcoin was between 50k-51k, just imagine when an investor buy at that price at least he or she would have gained about 11k plus, hence btc price is at 62k plus currently but this doesn't happen every time, event might turn against ones plan, the only method a Bitcoin investor will apply to be successful is long-term holding which you have mentioned already, Bitcoin investment is not for fast money making, it is for those who are ready to endure for a long period of time to participate in the profitable events that is bound to happen at some given number of years.

Wakate

Activity: 966
Merit: 519

fillippone - Winner contest Pizza 2022

View Profile
March 01, 2024, 06:21:38 PM

The only strategy investors can use to buy, is when there is hopeful sign of increment in the price, topical example is, last week the price of bitcoin was between 50k-51k, just imagine when an investor buy at that price at least he or she would have gained about 11k plus, hence btc price is at 62k plus currently but this doesn't happen every time, event might turn against ones plan, the only method a Bitcoin investor will apply to be successful is long-term holding which you have mentioned already, Bitcoin investment is not for fast money making, it is for those who are ready to endure for a long period of time to participate in the profitable events that is bound to happen at some given number of years.
Since the price of Bitcoin started going up this year, I have seen lot of people talking about Bitcoin especially in this forum advising people to keep buying and holding there Bitcoin. Bitcoin is the only hope we have now apart from the hood altcoins that we have in the market that can give us good profits in the market.

Since Bitcoin started skyrocketing since 35k, there had been a continuous momentum and that should that we are already in the bull. Those that had been holding their Bitcoin since the price was little would be happy right now because they are already in big profits which is a good thing to talk about. Keep holding and wat h your investment increases in price.

.Duelbits.
█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
TRY OUR
  NEW  UNIQUE
GAMES!
..DICE...
███████████████████████████████
███▀▀                     ▀▀███
███    ▄▄▄▄         ▄▄▄▄    ███
███   ██████       ██████   ███
███   ▀████▀       ▀████▀   ███
███                         ███
███   ▄████▄       ▄████▄   ███
███   ██████       ██████   ███
███    ▀▀▀▀         ▀▀▀▀    ███
███▄▄                     ▄▄███
.MINES.
████████████████████████▄▀▄████
██████████████▀▄▄▄▀█████▄▀▄████
████████████▀ █████▄▀████ █████
██████████      █████▄▀▀▄██████
███████▀          ▀████████████
█████▀              ▀██████████
█████                ██████████
████▌                ▐█████████
█████                ██████████
██████▄            ▄███████████
████████▄▄      ▄▄█████████████
.PLINKO.
█████████▀▀▀       ▀▀▀█████████
██████▀  ▄▄███ ███      ▀██████
█████  ▄▀▀                █████
████  ▀                    ████
████                       ████
█████                     █████
██████▄                 ▄██████
█████████▄▄▄       ▄▄▄█████████
10,000x
MULTIPLIER
NEARLY UP TO
.50%. REWARDS
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 10180

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
March 01, 2024, 08:03:33 PM

I have been on the lookout for what possible DCA calculator I should use, because as a newbie one of the highest worries I have is how to monitor my Bitcoin investment and what DCA record tools I should adopt that can give me total accurate figures of what my profits percentage is and lose also, because I have the intention to invest at a weekly interval and hold my Bitcoin for at least 4 years which is a one bitcoin halves cycle and by then, I should be able to arrive at a balanced ground in terms of Bitcoin accumulation journey based on my total invested funds.

DCA calculators do not tell you how much you will make in the future.  They ONLY show past performance, which that does not mean that you would profit in the future. 

I think that it is it better to figure out your own formula in terms of investing as much as you feel comfortable, while realizing that you might not gain any money and you also might lose all of it.

For beginners going into bitcoin, you should at least consider the below 9 factors:. .and DCA with small amounts while you are learning is also o.k. in order that you can determine if you would like to become more aggressive, and at the same time it is important to get started sooner rather than later in order that you can get some kind of a start and even getting set up with how you are going to source your buys can take a bit of time to figure out and maybe to adapt along the way, too.

These 9 principle individual factors that influence your decision whether to invest into bitcoin and how to invest into bitcoin have financial, skills and psychological components that include:

1)   your cashflow,
2)   how much bitcoin you have already accumulated,
3)   your other investments (including considering your emergency fund, your float and your reserves - which are usually kinds of liquid ways to hold value in cash, dollars and/or your native currency in away that many of your expenses tend to be denominated),
4)   your view of bitcoin as compared with other investment possibilities,
5)   your timeline,
6)   your risk tolerance,
7)   your time, skills, goals (investment/lifestyle targets, which includes figuring out the extent that you are in BTC accumulation, maintenance or liquidation stage),
8 )   your abilities to strategize, plan, research and learn along the way including tweaking strategies from time to time,
9)   your considering your time, your abilities and whether to trade, reallocate from time to time, to use of leverage and/or to use financial instruments... (and for sure the use of financial instruments, leverage and margin trading involve higher level skills and are not even necessary to still become richie in bitcoin's already existing asymmetric bet.)

1) Self-Custody is a right.  There is no such thing as "non-custodial" or "un-hosted."  2) ESG, KYC & AML are attack-vectors on Bitcoin to be avoided or minimized.  3) How much alt (shit)coin diversification is necessary? if you are into Bitcoin, then 0%......if you cannot control your gambling, then perhaps limit your alt(shit)coin exposure to less than 10% of your bitcoin size...Put BTC here: bc1q49wt0ddnj07wzzp6z7affw9ven7fztyhevqu9k
liuka

Activity: 806
Merit: 564

View Profile
March 01, 2024, 10:37:06 PM

I have been on the lookout for what possible DCA calculator I should use, because as a newbie one of the highest worries I have is how to monitor my Bitcoin investment and what DCA record tools I should adopt that can give me total accurate figures of what my profits percentage is and lose also, because I have the intention to invest at a weekly interval and hold my Bitcoin for at least 4 years which is a one bitcoin halves cycle and by then, I should be able to arrive at a balanced ground in terms of Bitcoin accumulation journey based on my total invested funds.

DCA calculators do not tell you how much you will make in the future.  They ONLY show past performance, which that does not mean that you would profit in the future. 

I think that it is it better to figure out your own formula in terms of investing as much as you feel comfortable, while realizing that you might not gain any money and you also might lose all of it.

For beginners going into bitcoin, you should at least consider the below 9 factors:. .and DCA with small amounts while you are learning is also o.k. in order that you can determine if you would like to become more aggressive, and at the same time it is important to get started sooner rather than later in order that you can get some kind of a start and even getting set up with how you are going to source your buys can take a bit of time to figure out and maybe to adapt along the way, too.

These 9 principle individual factors that influence your decision whether to invest into bitcoin and how to invest into bitcoin have financial, skills and psychological components that include:

1)   your cashflow,
3)   your other investments (including considering your emergency fund, your float and your reserves - which are usually kinds of liquid ways to hold value in cash, dollars and/or your native currency in away that many of your expenses tend to be denominated),
5)   your timeline,
7)   your time, skills, goals (investment/lifestyle targets, which includes figuring out the extent that you are in BTC accumulation, maintenance or liquidation stage),
8 )   your abilities to strategize, plan, research and learn along the way including tweaking strategies from time to time,
9)   your considering your time, your abilities and whether to trade, reallocate from time to time, to use of leverage and/or to use financial instruments... (and for sure the use of financial instruments, leverage and margin trading involve higher level skills and are not even necessary to still become richie in bitcoin's already existing asymmetric bet.)
The 9 factors you mentioned are certainly very useful as guidelines for managing finances when investing in Bitcoin. I understand that cash flow is the main basis for us to apply the DCA strategy, which is to manage finances as best as possible to be able to accumulate bitcoins in the investment journey. And maybe we will also consider the price side to enter in the early stages of purchasing. Because lately bitcoin has risen significantly so we have to think whether the DCA move is the best strategy for now if we are too late to use it.

Apart from that, if you have collected BTC throughout your investment journey. Do you still do DCA when the price of Bitcoin has recorded its highest price? or it is better to wait for the correction and buy all at once and start over to set the dca when the price has gone down.

airbet 
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

▄████▄▄▄██████▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████▀▀▀▀████
██████████████
▀███▀███████▄██
██████████▄███
██████████████
███████████████
███████████████
██████████████
█████▐████████
██████▀███████▀
▄███████████████▄
████████████████
█░██████████████
████████████████
████████████████
█████████████████
█████████████████
███████░█░███████
████████████████
█████████████████
██████████████░█
████████████████
▀███████████████▀
██▄▄▄
████████▄▄
██████▀▀████▄
██████▄░░████▄
██████████████
████████░░▀███▌
░████████▄▄████
██████████████▌
███░░░█████████
█████████░░░██▀
░░░███████████▀
██████░░░██▀
░░▀▀███▀

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
 PLAY NOW 
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
March 02, 2024, 05:03:09 AM

1)   your cashflow,
5)   your timeline,
The 9 factors you mentioned are certainly very useful as guidelines for managing finances when investing in Bitcoin. I understand that cash flow is the main basis for us to apply the DCA strategy, which is to manage finances as best as possible to be able to accumulate bitcoins in the investment journey. And maybe we will also consider the price side to enter in the early stages of purchasing. Because lately bitcoin has risen significantly so we have to think whether the DCA move is the best strategy for now if we are too late to use it.

Yes.  I agree that it is more challenging to enter into an investment after the price has risen a lot, including if you consider that bitcoin has risen right around 4x since November 2022  or even more than 2x since October 2023.

Nonetheless, as an investor, especially a newbie who might be considering establishing a BTC position, you may well want to make sure that you are prepared for either UP or down, and the ONLY way to prepare for up is to buy some bitcoin.  If you do not have any bitcoin, then you are not prepared for UP, and waiting does not constitute being prepared for up.

Now as a newbie if you think that you are some kind of expert or you have some kind of superior knowledge (or hunch) that the BTC price is going to drop, then maybe you would risk waiting, but that seems to be just gambling rather than really being serious about investing.

One of the best strategies for anyone, including newbies, would be to perform some kind of a lump sum investment right away, but then to make sure that he has additional funds (whether from cashflow or just holding back some of the invested amount) to either keep buying no matter what and to also potentially hold back some funds in order to prepare to buy on dips.

One of the problems with lump sum investing and also the situation of a lot of normies is that normies (meaning most normal people) do not have have abilities to lump sum, and that is why DCA tends to be so effective and/or practical. So if there is some cash just coming in on a regular basis and some of that is considered disposable/discretionary income, then you determine how much of that you want to dedicate to investing into bitcoin, and then the question would be whether to invest right away or to hold some of it back for buying on dips.

Another thing is that if someone is new to investing, it well could take 10 years (at 10% invested/saved) to be able to invest up to a year's salary, so it take a whole fucking long time to really build any kind of meaningful portfolio, so if you happen to be someone who is fairly new to investing and you have been investing way less than 10 years, you are probably better off just DCAing most of the amount that you allocate, and perhaps considering whether there might be some value to holding some of that back for buying on dips.

Now if you are someone who has other funds that you can allocate, then that puts you into a situation of someone who can lump sum part of that, and if you are someone who has been investing into bitcoin for several years, then you also might have the luxury of letting off on your DCA in these price territories, but it still may not necessarily make sense to let off on your BTC accumulation unless you have figured out some strategies in which you have already assessed that you have accumulated enough BTC or that you have over accumulated.  If you are not able to make those kinds of determinations, then it probably would be better to just continue buying BTC regularly until you reach such status. .and that is surely and truly under your own criteria that you would reach such an assessment about your own situation.

If you are merely looking at the current BTC price move, that is only one of the factors, and surely, you might consider that there are better places to put your money - even though personally, it seems like a problematic determination, especially if you have already assessed that you have neither reached sufficient/adequate BTC accumulation or overaccumulation.

Apart from that, if you have collected BTC throughout your investment journey. Do you still do DCA when the price of Bitcoin has recorded its highest price? or it is better to wait for the correction and buy all at once and start over to set the dca when the price has gone down.

Of course, if you have  spent a considerable amount of time accumulating BTC, then you may well have reached a status of either accumulating enough BTC or even having had over accumulated BTC, so you have more options once you reach those kinds of assessments.. and since you have been registered on this forum for nearly 9 years, since April 2015, you have had a lot of opportunities to accumulate bitcoin throughout the last 9 years, yet at the same time, you likely realize that bitcoin currently is not really in a position of being overly valued - especially considering what happened in the last couple of years and the significant amount of ongoing existent and persistent buying pressures coming from a lot of new categories of buyers, and also including that BIG financial institutions are now starting to market their products that would require that they are backed by actual bitcoin rather than paper bitcoin.

So you should be attempting to account for actual factors that involve assessments of BTC price and whether you might consider that bitcoin has higher price potential from here. You are responsible for coming to your own assessments that would involve how many BTC you believe is sufficient and adequate preparation for up.. and yeah always trying to be prepared financially and psychologically for the BTC price to move in either direction in the short to medium term, while at the same time keeping your eye on the prize, in the event that you actually are able to understand what makes bitcoin valuable and likely more valuable than any other asset currently in existence... and you don't even have to believe all of those kinds of bullish ideas in order to figure out your own allocations and how much you need to assure that you are prepared for either and both possible BTC price directions at the same time based on your assessing the particulars and viewpoints of each of your own assessments of the 9 factors.

Another thing is that it can take a lot of practice to really  get some kind of balance in your own life in terms of assessing the 9 factors so that you end up being comfortable with your own allocation choices, including the extent to which you might feel that you want to approach bitcoin with a whimpy approach or a more aggressive approach, and maybe also assessing if you want to allocate somewhere between 5% to 25% of your investment into bitcoin and so 5% would be on the more whimpy side and 25% would be on the more aggressive side, but you can ONLY afford to be aggressive if you have done some of the necessary studying of your own circumstances.  Of course you are free to go outside of that range, but the 5% to 25% is an initial starting point to figure out where you might fall within that recommended starting range.

1) Self-Custody is a right.  There is no such thing as "non-custodial" or "un-hosted."  2) ESG, KYC & AML are attack-vectors on Bitcoin to be avoided or minimized.  3) How much alt (shit)coin diversification is necessary? if you are into Bitcoin, then 0%......if you cannot control your gambling, then perhaps limit your alt(shit)coin exposure to less than 10% of your bitcoin size...Put BTC here: bc1q49wt0ddnj07wzzp6z7affw9ven7fztyhevqu9k
Promocodeudo

Activity: 378
Merit: 182

Play Bitcoin PVP Prediction Game

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2024, 06:18:27 AM

With the little idea I have gotten so far in bitcoin investment I think long-term holding has always been the option for every bitcoiner who is ready to benefit immensely in the business because bitcoin has shown a lot of encouragement, I don't know why people still have doubt or think that the best investment strategy here is to their money and pull it out in the couple of months, though their are premature sellers because of market speculations but this is not suppose to be so, that's why it is advisable for every bitcoiner to have a knowledge of how to things are been done in Bitcoin before we can investment to avoid unnecessary panic.

Barikui1

Activity: 182
Merit: 115

View Profile
March 02, 2024, 07:21:02 AM

With the little idea I have gotten so far in bitcoin investment I think long-term holding has always been the option for every bitcoiner who is ready to benefit immensely in the business because bitcoin has shown a lot of encouragement, I don't know why people still have doubt or think that the best investment strategy here is to their money and pull it out in the couple of months, though their are premature sellers because of market speculations but this is not suppose to be so, that's why it is advisable for every bitcoiner to have a knowledge of how to things are been done in Bitcoin before we can investment to avoid unnecessary panic.
You are actually right on this bro, Bitcoin investment is more beneficial to a long term thinker or a long term holder, just look at the statistics of Bitcoin of how it has grown and gain popularity over the years, It has practically behaved like a fine 🍷 wine, it has gotten better with age, I believe that with the uniqueness of Bitcoin, it will get even better.

Lastly, you just don't have to be perfect in knowledge about Bitcoin before you invest, you just need a basic knowledge on how to invest through the DCA method and a deeper knowledge later on how to hold effectively, by having an emergency fund and a source of income, so that you don't have to be eating from your investment when facing financial troubles.

adultcrypto

Activity: 308
Merit: 241

View Profile
March 02, 2024, 08:15:35 AM

I don't know why people still have doubt or think that the best investment strategy here is to their money and pull it out in the couple of months, though their are premature sellers because of market speculations but this is not suppose to be so,
Unfortunately, those in this category are more, the buy and hold for few months or few years and then sell their entire assets leaving the money in stable coins or even convert to fiat. The funny part is that some will use the proceeds from the Bitcoin trade to buy several altcoins/memecoins and call it diversification and when the bear season starts, where they plan to buy the bitcoin back comes, they would only buy less that the initial quantity of Bitcoin they had even when they cannot account for how they spent the proceed of the first sale during the bull market. Under this arrangement, there is no growth in terms of total bitcoin in their possession instead they experience decline. This is why I don't want to follow that approach of selling all my bitcoin during bull market with the plan of buying them back during bear market because I cannot guarantee how I will spend the proceeds and to avoid the temptation because bitcoin have remained the most reliable place to store my funds.

that's why it is advisable for every bitcoiner to have a knowledge of how to things are been done in Bitcoin before we can investment to avoid unnecessary panic.
I will not call this lack of knowledge but personal preference. They have eyes to see how rich those who held from the early days have become. So they know how great holding for long is but decided to go for short term. It is their choice even though that is not what I consider the best practice. You do not need complicated knowledge to start investing and managing your bitcoin properly. This has been discussed several times.

UchihaSarada

View Profile
March 02, 2024, 12:14:44 PM

I think choosing to take profits is never wrong. Maybe they determine that their current investment in Bitcoin is a short-term investment. When the time and profit level match the rules they initially set, they will take profits, whether that strategy is good or not good depends on each person's goals. I know a few friends who went through the 2021 cycle with the expectation that Bitcoin would reach 100k USD to take profits. They had really strong hands for a very long time to achieve that target, but then they missed the rising wave that year when Bitcoin price only reached 69k USD and turned around. And now, those friends of mine no longer play the old way, but they play according to every wave of the market. And from the beginning of 2023 until now, they have had very significant profits.
According to you, how long do you think long-term holding should be? Or just hold it without thinking about the profit-taking phase. This topic is clearly discussing about long-term holding, but we must know how long we will hold Bitcoin? Because basically buying Bitcoin and holding it is just an investment process, and investing requires thinking about profit. We can't just hold on without paying attention to how the market goes up or down.

J A C K B I T   |   FreeSpins & FreeBets      Welcome Bonus     Rakeback VIP Club
I_Anime

Activity: 364
Merit: 153

Cashback 15%

View Profile
March 02, 2024, 03:33:00 PM

According to you, how long do you think long-term holding should be? Or just hold it without thinking about the profit-taking phase. This topic is clearly discussing about long-term holding, but we must know how long we will hold Bitcoin? Because basically buying Bitcoin and holding it is just an investment process, and investing requires thinking about profit. We can't just hold on without paying attention to how the market goes up or down
As you said profiting-taking phase someone like me that started accumulating and holding  not quite long, would not think of profit-taking phase yet, because I still got a long way to go in my bitcoin accumulation to start thinking of taking profit. We all have goals in our accumulation and haven't gotten to mine yet (my fuck you status) . While those that have gotten to theirs or have accumulated some good quantity for themselves, can start putting profit-taking phase on their Mind and there's a post sir JJG posted concerning bitcoin withdrawal strategies, https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5479482.msg63398357#msg63398357

JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
March 02, 2024, 11:37:32 PM
Merited by UchihaSarada (1)

I think choosing to take profits is never wrong.

That is not true.  If you consider that the meaning of taking profits is that you have gotten more dollars, and then you take profits in dollars, your dollars might not be holding value as well as you believe that they are, and so you are being mislead about the benefits of taking profits and/or even when it might be prudent to "take profits."   Another thing is that if you look at bitcoin over the long term, then even if there is a lot of up and down volatility, the ultimate direction of volatility has been in the upwards direction, so taking profits from the most sound (pristine) asset that has ever existed may well end up putting you on the wrong side of the greatest wealth transfer of our time (and perhaps in history).

Maybe they determine that their current investment in Bitcoin is a short-term investment. When the time and profit level match the rules they initially set, they will take profits, whether that strategy is good or not good depends on each person's goals. I know a few friends who went through the 2021 cycle with the expectation that Bitcoin would reach 100k USD to take profits. They had really strong hands for a very long time to achieve that target, but then they missed the rising wave that year when Bitcoin price only reached 69k USD and turned around. And now, those friends of mine no longer play the old way, but they play according to every wave of the market. And from the beginning of 2023 until now, they have had very significant profits.

It is a dangerous game to be fucking around with trading the best asset... but hey do what you like and hopefully you don't get caught on the wrong side of a trade... and another problem might be playing with leverage to make it even worse if you are on the wrong side of an asset that is generally already has been winning quite a bit and likely to continue to win and you don't even have to play with leverage, which makes it available to everyone so long as they mostly buy and hold and don't be fucking around with getting in and out and taking chances.

By the way the guys who might have bought at the top of the 2021 periods are likely now back in profits, and even more so if they had been buying all along rather than fucking around with getting in and out, which might not work out very well... so in that sense, ongoing buying becomes almost a sure bet (even though nothing is guaranteed), and so even if their costs might have ended up relatively high because of their buying at relatively high price times, there were a lot of opportunities over the last couple of years to bring down their cost per BTC and to be sitting in a very good position right now, and they would not even be needing to sell, merely because if they are in profits and have the option to sell, there likely will be a lot of opportunities and additional options if they continue to hold and perhaps even continue to buy and especially if their investment timeline might be for longer terms such as for the next 4-10 years or longer.

According to you, how long do you think long-term holding should be?

4-10 years or longer from any additional purchase, and surely if a guy might start as a brand new investor, he might consider regular investments might take 30-40 years to play out and to start to draw from them, but it well could be the case that the time before starting to draw from bitcoin might even be reasonable to cut in half, such as 15-20 years, even though nothing is guaranteed. 

For people who are not brand new investors, they might have to consider how much of an investment portfolio that they had already built up prior to coming into bitcoin, but I would still consider that any new purchases should be considered with a 4-10 year time horizon.. and if your time horizon is less than 4 years, for every new purchase of BTC, then you may well not be a longer term investor... and you may still have your reasons for getting bitcoin exposure for shorter time periods, but I would not necessarily consider new investments of less than 4 years to be long term, but more like gambles that may or may not pay off, so there might need to be some care in regards to position size, especially when devolving into gambling rather than investing.

Or just hold it without thinking about the profit-taking phase. This topic is clearly discussing about long-term holding, but we must know how long we will hold Bitcoin? Because basically buying Bitcoin and holding it is just an investment process, and investing requires thinking about profit.

In long term investing, besides being narrowly focused on profits, you can also think in terms of potentially having more options, especially with an investment like bitcoin that is likely better able to hold its value as compared with the dollar or any other asset that might be held.. so if you hold long enough then your investment likely compounds upon itself, so then you have way more options if you are 3x to 5x to 10x to 50x up in profits as compared to taking simple profits that are less than 100%, which a lot of folks tend to be taking profits way too soon and then they end up interferring with bitcoin's compounding process.  Look at the power of compounding in my post that includes some examples.

We can't just hold on without paying attention to how the market goes up or down.

To simplify some of the calculations, if you hold your BTC long enough then you likely will have more options in terms of how much profits you are already in, so let's say that your cost per BTC is around $1k per BTC.   And, so if the price of BTC is below $10k per BTC in 2020 (so you are around 10x in profits), and then if the BTC price goes up to where you are 70x in profits and then comes back down to where you are 16x.. does it make big differences if you might just cash some out at various points in time?   It is not like you necessarily have to cash out large portions at a time in order to enjoy having BTC in your holdings.

Yeah, sure you can cash out some extra when the price is 40x, 50x 60x or more, but you are not totally screwed either, even if you might have ended up having to cash out some at lower multiples of profits... and should you worry right now that the BTC price is going to go back to $20k (only 20x in profits)? 

I would think with the passage of time, you see that the 200-WMA continues to move up (which tends to mostly be a bottom indicator).  In 2020, the 200-WMA was ONLY right around $6k, and BTC's price action of 2021 brought it up to $20k, and then currently it is around $31,600.. which mean the bottom is moving up, and the bottom is now 31.6x for the guy with an average cost per BTC of $1k.  You can look at the historical 200-WMA values here.

If you are getting in and out of BTC, are you able to bring down your average cost per BTC? and/or are you able to increase your BTC stash (and your options?)  I think that you are in a much less certain place if you are getting in and out.. rather than engaging in more simple ongoing and consistent BTC building.

UchihaSarada

View Profile
March 03, 2024, 04:36:27 AM

That is not true.  If you consider that the meaning of taking profits is that you have gotten more dollars, and then you take profits in dollars, your dollars might not be holding value as well as you believe that they are, and so you are being mislead about the benefits of taking profits and/or even when it might be prudent to "take profits."   Another thing is that if you look at bitcoin over the long term, then even if there is a lot of up and down volatility, the ultimate direction of volatility has been in the upwards direction, so taking profits from the most sound (pristine) asset that has ever existed may well end up putting you on the wrong side of the greatest wealth transfer of our time (and perhaps in history).
We are here to discuss every aspect of the issue. For you, Bitcoin is a store of value, and your main source of income lies elsewhere. But what about other people, maybe Bitcoin trading the main source of profit for them? Shouldn't they be able to trade their Bitcoins to make a profit to feed their families? And maybe the accumulated money they earn from short-term investments will be accumulated by them in Bitcoin? not fiat currency, so short-term Bitcoin trading is just their job (trader). So, what's wrong for you doesn't necessarily mean it's not right for others, right?

In long term investing, besides being narrowly focused on profits, you can also think in terms of potentially having more options, especially with an investment like bitcoin that is likely better able to hold its value as compared with the dollar or any other asset that might be held.. so if you hold long enough then your investment likely compounds upon itself, so then you have way more options if you are 3x to 5x to 10x to 50x up in profits as compared to taking simple profits that are less than 100%, which a lot of folks tend to be taking profits way too soon and then they end up interferring with bitcoin's compounding process.  Look at the power of compounding in my post that includes some examples.
I agree with you about the power of compound interest, holding and accumulating a valuable asset for a long time will bring huge profits. Certainly, long-term investments should be several years or more (based on Bitcoin's growth cycle, 4 years or more is ideal), but what we are considering are ideal investment conditions when we have a stable source of income, and are not too old. For older people who don't have much time left, or those whose income is not very stable, should they not invest in Bitcoin in the short term? Bitcoin is a good asset, but everyone's investment taste is different, and each person's holding level will also be different depending on their conditions, not everyone is in ideal conditions to holding an investment for too long a period of time. The ultimate purpose of investing or accumulating valuable assets is still to serve our lives and future generations, right?

Y3shot

Activity: 574
Merit: 163

Bitcoin👌 or nothing

View Profile
March 03, 2024, 09:04:21 AM

I just want to add to what you have already said, holding sometimes can be challenging due to so many factors, but as an investors as we are, we need to look for a way to navigate our way in the crypto space for us to be successful.
I suggest we take a look at this thread I created about holding https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5477689.msg63316374#msg63316374
In life their are always challenges, problems are always around the corners, if you allow challenges to hold you down it will be impossible to bitcoin.  Hodling is not easy for anyone but people made it possible because of good decision to make sure they accomplished good profit holding.  If we always look up to our challenges,  we won't be to hodl bitcoin.

Samlucky O

Activity: 266
Merit: 184

The great city of God 🔥

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2024, 09:16:30 AM

That is not true.  If you consider that the meaning of taking profits is that you have gotten more dollars, and then you take profits in dollars, your dollars might not be holding value as well as you believe that they are, and so you are being mislead about the benefits of taking profits and/or even when it might be prudent to "take profits."   Another thing is that if you look at bitcoin over the long term, then even if there is a lot of up and down volatility, the ultimate direction of volatility has been in the upwards direction, so taking profits from the most sound (pristine) asset that has ever existed may well end up putting you on the wrong side of the greatest wealth transfer of our time (and perhaps in history).
We are here to discuss every aspect of the issue. For you, Bitcoin is a store of value, and your main source of income lies elsewhere. But what about other people, maybe Bitcoin trading the main source of profit for them?
Well bitcoin trading may be source of income or profit for them. But if you take a close look at those who keep on trading for long , they end up getting peanuts because they don't know the power of HODLing. In HODL, the capital and the profit keeps on compounding and makes your investment hold stronger. In trading let's take for example you invested $100 and it rises by %4 and you made a profit of $4 you sell and used it for feeding everyday, you may not understand the power of HODLing because you haven't left it to compound from $100 to $104 to $110 or more as it keeps increasing you may be surprised after some month of opening you portfolio and see that you have made a hooping some of money multiply by how many years you have HODl. So every body might not be thesame but in this HODL vs TRADING can never be compared. Bitcoin HODLing is a choice and when someone is advised about HODLing don't see it as a wrong impression or a by force but he is just trying to let you know the difference between each of them, the important and the risk involved in each of them. No matter what HODLing is the best option that is the only way to win the race of Bitcoin. If those earlier adopters where trading Bitcoin till today, they will have lost hope on Bitcoin because they wouldn't notice the movement because they will have been selling the profit, making it look as if Bitcoin is not growing. Because the capital will remain thesame after selling the profit while btc price is changing on a regular.

Shouldn't they be able to trade their Bitcoins to make a profit to feed their families? And maybe the accumulated money they earn from short-term investments will be accumulated by them in Bitcoin? not fiat currency, so short-term Bitcoin trading is just their job (trader). So, what's wrong for you doesn't necessarily mean it's not right for others, right?
They should. But they should know that to make more profit requires long term not just a short term. If they will do trading it should be that they have a seperate portfolio where they might have kept btc for long term and use the other CEX for trading if they chose to do trading for there feeding. Moreover for me I don't see bitcoin trading as business.

Ayers
Legendary

Activity: 2604
Merit: 1023

Leading Crypto Sports Betting & Casino Platform

View Profile
March 03, 2024, 09:36:16 AM

I just want to add to what you have already said, holding sometimes can be challenging due to so many factors, but as an investors as we are, we need to look for a way to navigate our way in the crypto space for us to be successful.
I suggest we take a look at this thread I created about holding https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5477689.msg63316374#msg63316374
In life their are always challenges, problems are always around the corners, if you allow challenges to hold you down it will be impossible to bitcoin.  Hodling is not easy for anyone but people made it possible because of good decision to make sure they accomplished good profit holding.  If we always look up to our challenges,  we won't be to hodl bitcoin.

Holding or trading just like we do is working to make money and it has never been considered easy. Our lives are already difficult and will become even more difficult when we engage in risky ways of making money. But even though holding bitcoin will be more difficult than daily manual work, but if we are ready to face it and we can overcome it all. We will also receive more worthy rewards. Therefore, I think we should stop complaining once we accept to participate in the game, and if you are afraid that you cannot do it and it is too difficult for you, then it is best for you to leave the market.

..Stake.com..   ▄████████████████████████████████████▄
   ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██  ▄████▄
   ██ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██████████ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██  ██████
   ██ ██████████ ██      ██ ██████████ ██   ▀██▀
   ██ ██      ██ ██████  ██ ██      ██ ██    ██
   ██ ██████  ██ █████  ███ ██████  ██ ████▄ ██
   ██ █████  ███ ████  ████ █████  ███ ████████
   ██ ████  ████ ██████████ ████  ████ ████▀
   ██ ██████████ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██████████ ██
   ██            ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀            ██ 
   ▀█████████▀ ▄████████████▄ ▀█████████▀
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███  ██  ██  ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ██████████████████████████████████████████
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀█▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█    ██████████    █ ▐  █
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄██▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀       ▐█▌       ▀█▄
██         ▐█▌         ██
████▄     ▄█████▄     ▄████
████████▄███████████▄████████
███▀    █████████████    ▀███
██       ███████████       ██
▀█▄       █████████       ▄█▀
▀█▄    ▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄  ▄▄▄█▀
▀███████         ███████▀
▀█████▄       ▄█████▀
▀▀▀███▄▄▄███▀▀▀
..PLAY NOW..
arwin100

Activity: 2716
Merit: 806

Jack of all trades 💯

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2024, 09:42:05 AM

I don't know why people still have doubt or think that the best investment strategy here is to their money and pull it out in the couple of months, though their are premature sellers because of market speculations but this is not suppose to be so,
Unfortunately, those in this category are more, the buy and hold for few months or few years and then sell their entire assets leaving the money in stable coins or even convert to fiat. The funny part is that some will use the proceeds from the Bitcoin trade to buy several altcoins/memecoins and call it diversification and when the bear season starts, where they plan to buy the bitcoin back comes, they would only buy less that the initial quantity of Bitcoin they had even when they cannot account for how they spent the proceed of the first sale during the bull market. Under this arrangement, there is no growth in terms of total bitcoin in their possession instead they experience decline. This is why I don't want to follow that approach of selling all my bitcoin during bull market with the plan of buying them back during bear market because I cannot guarantee how I will spend the proceeds and to avoid the temptation because bitcoin have remained the most reliable place to store my funds.

They are been on those thinking that bitcoin is a pump and dump for them that's why usually what they think is they dump all the bitcoins they have once they are in profit and although this is much better but they can't maximize the bitcoin potential since for sure for holding it for more years then there's a high chance that they can get a lot of profit since bitcoins future is so promising. Although we can't deny that temptation is around but if we are truly aiming for long term we can surely figure out what's more best and other important things to do.

But if they really want to get some funds then I guess they can sell some of their profit and leave the whole large balance still at stake so that it cannot hurt so much their whole investment.

JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
March 03, 2024, 04:45:23 PM
Merited by UchihaSarada (1)

We are here to discuss every aspect of the issue.

I don't have any problem with the idea in regards to talking about the advantages and disadvantages of holding and/or ways to potentially game the profitability of up and down BTC price moves - especially since the topic does have potential for exploring those kinds of angles.  Accordingly, I had not criticized your post for being off topic, but instead attempted to criticize your seeming presumption that trading in and out of positions would automatically be advantageous even if dollar profits might be assessed to have had taken place. 

For you, Bitcoin is a store of value, and your main source of income lies elsewhere. But what about other people, maybe Bitcoin trading the main source of profit for them?

Of course, if you do not have any other income and you are striving to get income from trading, then you might be in a bit of a pickle in terms of how to invest and/or set aside value in such a way that you are able to profit from the investment (in this case bitcoin) as an investment and also to be able to get the compounding value out of it that tends to come from abilities to hold it in the longer term rather than short term scalping of dollar value.

Shouldn't they be able to trade their Bitcoins to make a profit to feed their families?

Of course, if someone does not have any other source of income, they have to generate income in some kind of way, and if their most profitable way to get income is by trading BTC and/or other kinds of trading, then that would be their circumstances and they still might need to assess the extent to which they are advantaging trading bitcoin as compared with other less pristine assets that they might trade.

I am not even proclaiming that anyone is able to invest into bitcoin or anything else unless they have some level of discretionary/disposable income.  So if someone does not have discretionary/disposable income, then they are not in a position to invest.  By the way, discretionary/disposable income is the extra income that is available after expenses are paid, so in other words, people who do not have discretionary/disposable income are not in a position to invest, and if those people are buying and selling bitcoin then they are gambling, trading and/or generating income and they are not investing... so investing still could come if they ended up generating more income than their expenses, so then if they have extra income that would be discretionary/disposable income that they could invest and/or use for extra consumption purposes

It would be their choice whether to invest with their extra income.. and part of the dilemma for the trader/gambler/someone generating income from trading is that they will frequently be tempted to use their extra income for trading purposes rather than investing with that extra income.. which could come back to bite them in the ass several years down the road when they might end up not having shit to show for all of the income that they generated through the years, but did not invest any of it but instead just traded with any extra income that passed through their hands.

And maybe the accumulated money they earn from short-term investments will be accumulated by them in Bitcoin? not fiat currency, so short-term Bitcoin trading is just their job (trader). So, what's wrong for you doesn't necessarily mean it's not right for others, right?

I did not say anything is wrong for me.  I was attempting to describe the historical power of bitcoin as an investment and the likely continued ongoing power of bitcoin as an investment, and in the end, guys can do whatever they like, even though they might end up shooting themselves in the foot if they presume that there is value to take profits in dollars. 

Of course, as you mentioned, profits could also be taken in bitcoin, but if they put that bitcoin capital back to work and they are trading with it rather than setting it aside, then it would be much more difficult to consider any aspect of their bitcoin approach as an investment, unless they were to have some kind of system in which they are building their bitcoin in a way that does not unnecessarily put it at the extra risks of trading with it.   

One of the errors that people sometimes make, even with bitcoin, is that they wrongly conclude that there is some kind of need to earn yield or to generate profits on their BTC, which surely could end up being problematic if the bitcoin have to be stored or held by others in order to generate such yield, and if we assess bitcoin as an investment, it is already designed to pump forever in terms of its sound money attributes, and so there is no need to put your bitcoin at extra risk in order to be able to be advantaged from its sound money attributes that are more and more likely to pay off the longer that the bitcoin is held...   

In recent years, I have become increasingly bothered by attempts to evaluate bitcoin value based on spot price, even though spot price is relevant for any time that a person is going to buy or sell bitcoin - so I have tended to gravitate towards the 200-WMA as a great tool for evaluating bitcoin value - and especially becomes more and more useful for guys holding their coins for more than 4 years, and maybe even better if they are using such valuation mechanism when they are holding their BTC 4-10 years or longer.

Don't get me wrong.  I am not trying to totally poo-poo the idea of earning income from trading, because there surely may be places in which a person is able to earn more from trading rather than from doing regular work that is available in the area or available based on the persons skills and/or job experiences - even though skills and job experiences can be built up in order to increase income.  So there are trade-offs to any profession and/or how one chooses to spend time to generate income.  At the same time, I can appreciate that there can be difficulties for anyone to engage in investment practices, whether he has a separate job from trading or if his primary (or only) source of income is from trading. 

So there can be a lot of discretion regarding how much to set aside from income for investing, and through most of my life I had been saving and/or investing 10% of my income, and in my earliest years, the 10% was not very much, and there were quite a few struggles with that including figuring out where to put it, but it still can add up over the years.  I also know from my own experiences, that an overwhelming number of people are not ready, willing and/or able to even set aside 10% of their income for savings/investing.  You are not necessarily free from those kinds of considerations merely because your income source comes from trading, but I can see how a trader might have difficulties setting aside separate "don't touch" funds because there can be some value in terms of generating enough working capital in order to increase the size of his trades with the passage of time, but he still may well need to be setting some of his generated funds aside into some kind of classification of "don't touch" funds which would be considered long term investment/savings, even if he might have other funds that are his "working capital."

I agree with you about the power of compound interest, holding and accumulating a valuable asset for a long time will bring huge profits.

In the case of bitcoin, it is not really compound interest, but instead compounding value, but it is a similar idea. One of the problems with compound interest is that someone would need to pay you for that, and bitcoin is already designed in such a way that there is no need to take the extra risk for any kind of interest that you might gain from turning your bitcoin over to a third party.  ON the other hand, if there are ways to earn interest on BTC without extra counter-party risk (or only minimal counter-party risk) then that might be acceptable in some circumstances, but in bitcoin's base investing case, it is not necessary to earn interest and/or yield from it, since bitcoin is already designed to pump forever (or increase in value forever if you prefer a more neutral way of saying it).

Certainly, long-term investments should be several years or more (based on Bitcoin's growth cycle, 4 years or more is ideal), but what we are considering are ideal investment conditions when we have a stable source of income, and are not too old. For older people who don't have much time left, or those whose income is not very stable, should they not invest in Bitcoin in the short term?

Of course if your investment timeline is less than 4 years, then it may well be problematic to call that investing.  Of course, as an individual you can do whatever you like in terms of assessing risk and market price movements in shorter time periods, but that may well be considered as trading or gambling rather than investing, and likely in need of position size reduction in order to account for the additional risk that comes from shorter term plays.   In then end people can do whatever they like, but from my perspective it is problematic to call less than 4 year stents in bitcoin as investments, so there could be some quibbling going on here in terms of what to call it.. or how to play such short-term stents in bitcoin, if any one chooses to allocate value into bitcoin for shorter than 4-year timelines.

Bitcoin is a good asset, but everyone's investment taste is different, and each person's holding level will also be different depending on their conditions, not everyone is in ideal conditions to holding an investment for too long a period of time.

This is sounding a bit like a quibble over semantics, if you want to proclaim that some forms of trading still should be considered as "investments," which might not be totally wrong, even though for me it seems to mish-mash the concepts if you cannot attempt to figure out some kind of way to differentiate trading/gambling from investing... and don't get me wrong, I do agree that there are some guys who are able to structure their trades in such a way that they are never going to lose, but that is not the case for typical normal people.  Learning how to make trades profitable under all conditions is a learned skill, and some guys are better at it than others.  Investing tends to take a lot fewer skills, especially in the realm of mostly honing personal financial management skills in order to accurately calculate discretionary/disposable income and to invest within the parameters of such discretionary/disposable income which likely also includes figuring out ways to maintain and/or manage emergency funds, reserve funds and monthly cash floats. 

So yeah, I mentioned that I consider bitcoin to have a 4-10 year or more investment timeline, which is also supported by the information contained in the OP of this thread.  Of course there are other places to hold money that might have shorter-timelines and/or more guarantees not to lose money, so yeah people do need to account for their timelines in terms of where to keep their value or even how aggressive they might be in their employment of various investment approaches.

The ultimate purpose of investing or accumulating valuable assets is still to serve our lives and future generations, right?

That sounds correct, yet maybe I would probably phrase it a bit differently, which might be something like the deferral of gratification today in order to have the potential of having more options in the future, whether that is for oneself or for passing to heirs.  At the same time, there are going to be balances between how much to spend/consume today versus how much to save/invest, and of course, there likely would be preferences that the savings/investments at least hold current purchasing power and potentially increase in purchasing power, while at the same time there is continuous uncertainties in terms of how to save/invest in order to not lose future purchasing power... which get's us back to the idea regarding why bitcoin is likely to serve a large role in terms of the allocation of savings/investments,

and perhaps part of the reason why between 2014 and 2020 I moved from recommending to newbies (no coiners and/or low coiners) 1% to 10% in bitcoin (and during that period I would frequently suggest to just get off zero), and then from 2020 to 2023, I started to recommend 1% to 25% in bitcoin , and in 2024 I started recommending 5% to 25% in bitcoin.   Of course, people are responsible for their own choices, and they are free to allocate however, they like, and it is their choice whether to follow any suggestion from some lame rando on the interwebs, because in the end, I am not taking any responsibility for their choices to invest in bitcoin or not to invest in bitcoin or whether to trade or gamble with their bitcoin, that is on each of us to figure out what we are going to do and how we are going to spend our time, energies and value.

[edited out]
Holding or trading just like we do is working to make money and it has never been considered easy. Our lives are already difficult and will become even more difficult when we engage in risky ways of making money. But even though holding bitcoin will be more difficult than daily manual work, but if we are ready to face it and we can overcome it all. We will also receive more worthy rewards. Therefore, I think we should stop complaining once we accept to participate in the game, and if you are afraid that you cannot do it and it is too difficult for you, then it is best for you to leave the market.

I still suggest that it could take 15 to 20 years for any newbie bitcoin investor to get to the point in which he is able to live off of his bitcoin without having to do outside work.  Of course, if someone comes to bitcoin after already invested in other areas, then it could be possible to cut the timeline down, including if he is close to fuck you status with whatever funds that he is reallocating into bitcoin.

If you think about it, even if a person invests 10% of his income into bitcoin, it is going to take 10 years just to have 1 year of income invested into bitcoin, and so then if his income is able to grow to entry-level fuck you status (which tends to be 20 to 30 years of income), then the ONLY ways to grow faster is that the investment must grow a lot or maybe the amount invested would have to be greater than 10%, and guys can figure out these kinds of allocation matters and also how aggressive that they are able to be in terms of investing into bitcoin and getting their bitcoin portfolio to a sufficiently large enough size in order to start to either live off of it or to have their bitcoin supplement their current income. See my post on sustainable withdrawal and perhaps other parts of that thread for the discussion of such sustainable withdrawal ideas.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: