Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:02:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: American Exchanges - 1099 Reporting - The IRS - And WTF?!  (Read 1584 times)
rat (OP)

Activity: 253
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 04:59:54 AM

should US exchanges be avoided now?

i can already see coinbase sending me 1099s...

whatever arguments you bring, i'm not down with the ruling. because, BTC is money to me - not property.

this decision by the IRS was rushed. they were being pressured to make a decision.

and they made a misinformed one.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jc01480

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

Nope..

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 05:40:40 AM

Let the politicos work this out.  This is not nearly the definitive end of this issue.  Especially when their efforts get slammed by a federal judge with no data, analysis, and fiduciary research (which reminds me, they'll be looking for a sacrificial lamb to test the waters soon).  I'll be eating popcorn when that happens.  Give them time to comprehend and hash out (no pun intended) the realities of this awesomeness.

Just my opinion based on 22 years of dealing with government dynamics.
rat (OP)

Activity: 253

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 05:41:24 AM

sounds reasonable.

thanks for your input.
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2014, 06:07:25 AM

We don't own anything except a set of keys. The IRS doesn't understand the technology, or how it works.

It's like keys to a set of glass safety deposit boxes.

Everyone can see what's inside the boxes (blockchain = public ledger). Keys can be copied and given to anyone you like.

You can't claim we own the contents of the safety deposit boxes, when it's public intellectual property distributed throughout the entire network.

You can lose your key, than it's worthless. How will they tax us ?

You can copy your key and give it to 5 friends. or 50. Anywhere in the world. Then who's property is it?

How do you, the IRS, legally prove who has keys and who doesn't?

It's all so silly. I am reminded SO MUCH of the copyright law war against technology.

How did that turn out? Oh right, technology won. Damn fools have a learning disability.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
BBmodBB

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

BTC = FREEDOM IS OUR ONLY HOPE!

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2014, 06:16:26 AM

when bitcoin hits one million i will buy my own island and everyone can roam free like wild dogs lol =)

*BTCitcoin Wales Club*-- message me for details!--///\\\TELEKINETICS///\\can manipulate objects with their mind. Telekinesis is one of the basis of many superpowers that are based on "controlling/manipulating", it may evolve to the point that a Telekinetic can control anything at a subatomic level.
ManeBjorn
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 06:44:18 AM

There is a petition going on.
http://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/2014/03/29/white-house-petition-amend-irs-notice-2014-2-taxing-virtual-currencybitcoin/

runam0k
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

Touchdown

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 07:12:42 AM

You can copy your key and give it to 5 friends. or 50. Anywhere in the world. Then who's property is it?

It's only a tax event when you spend the coins. Lose the keys and there's no tax to pay. Get a big ass TV delivered to your home and they'll want their cut of any gains.
hjbuell

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

Writer $0.10/word +

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2014, 08:08:18 AM

I'm just waiting for them to reach the point where I can write an article about how an auditor earning $80,000 per year + in US Taxpayer money investigated people on the Blockchain, and prosecuted a guy who owed an absurdly small amount of tax. Much like the small business owner who gets hit with $20,000 in penalties for not filing, and then settles for the actual $6,000 he realistically owes - all the while, the USG spent $10,000 to collect that.

My hope is that this will trigger a flat tax, or something similar, that isn't so absurdly complex - but then I would also like to win the lotto. As my dear old dad would say, guess which hand will fill up first. Cheesy

Being different is all it takes to make a difference. H. J. Buell
Writer from $0.10 per word. https://hjbuell.com
Honeypot

Activity: 420

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 09:05:49 AM

Yes. Avoid them. Use chinese exchanges instead. Surely they have no pesky regulations and bothersome government interferences!

CryptoGretzky

Activity: 322

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 09:19:44 AM

It's only a tax event when you spend the coins. Lose the keys and there's no tax to pay. Get a big ass TV delivered to your home and they'll want their cut of any gains.

They clearly state that if you are mining it, then you have to pay tax on the price upon acquisition of the bitcoin at the price of that day.   I don't know how they can determine "acquisition" date if say you mine at a pool and they hold the coin for you first....   Wait for a low price day to transfer to your own wallet??

amspir

Activity: 112

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 09:28:52 AM

should US exchanges be avoided now?

i can already see coinbase sending me 1099s...

whatever arguments you bring, i'm not down with the ruling. because, BTC is money to me - not property.

Paypal issues 1099-K's to inform the government of the gross income from the shit you sell on ebay.
Stock brokers issue 1099-B's to inform the government of your capital gains from trading stock.
Contractees issue 1099's to inform the the government of your gross income from working for them as a contractor.

Did you have an expectation that bitcoin-related activity would some how be different?

this decision by the IRS was rushed. they were being pressured to make a decision.

The decision was not whether to tax the profit you make from bitcoin.  This was a given.   The IRS ruling allows a preferential tax treatment for long-term capital gains, for those that intended to legally pay their taxes.  Perhaps not advantageous to miners that held onto bitcoin and sold at a lower price than it was when mined.
evoked22

Activity: 308

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 10:08:21 AM

We don't own anything except a set of keys. The IRS doesn't understand the technology, or how it works.

It's like keys to a set of glass safety deposit boxes.

Everyone can see what's inside the boxes (blockchain = public ledger). Keys can be copied and given to anyone you like.

You can't claim we own the contents of the safety deposit boxes, when it's public intellectual property distributed throughout the entire network.

It's all so silly. I am reminded SO MUCH of the copyright law war against technology.

How did that turn out? Oh right, technology won. Damn fools have a learning disability.

That was marvelous. Thank you Smiley

It makes alot of sense, the absolute fact is that you can change the perspective and this is no longer what they described but just a set of keys. In that reality what they are saying would not make any sense.

SnZN5o2ePUgtr9roQyavBC3r41vz7p63ne
greenlion

Activity: 667
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 10:29:25 AM

Unfortunately tax law is not based on your personal hunches.
ryanmnercer

Activity: 70

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2014, 01:14:25 PM

That's also a great way to put yourself on the IRS' radar for audit "hey he wants us to change our rulinn on bitcoin, he probably sold a bunch lets trigger an audit"

Buy peptides with BTC
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2014, 01:23:31 PM

Let the politicos work this out.  This is not nearly the definitive end of this issue.  Especially when their efforts get slammed by a federal judge with no data, analysis, and fiduciary research (which reminds me, they'll be looking for a sacrificial lamb to test the waters soon).  I'll be eating popcorn when that happens.  Give them time to comprehend and hash out (no pun intended) the realities of this awesomeness.

Just my opinion based on 22 years of dealing with government dynamics.

yeah, things will change alot on the next years. we dont know where it ends but thats not the end  Wink

JunkieMiner

Activity: 412

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 01:26:13 PM

In my opinion US exchanges should be avoided for some time

███ TWITTER █████████████████ LIANG ████████████████████ WHITEPAPER ███
███ ANN ██████ Banking Eco-System █████ FACEBOOK PAGE ███
███ TELEGRAM █████████████████ AMM ███████████████████ MEDIUM ███
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: