Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 08:08:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mt. Gox employees talking to press and Tokyo cops  (Read 2304 times)
Nagle (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2014, 06:38:02 AM

"Mt. Gox faced questions on handling client cash long before crisis" - Reuters exclusive.

"A bankruptcy administrator and police are seeking to determine how a Tokyo start-up that shot from obscurity to dominate global trade in bitcoin managed to lose more than $27 million in old-fashioned cash held in a bank as well as bitcoins worth close to $450 million at today's prices."
"In interviews with Reuters, current and former employees at Mt. Gox described the strains that emerged over the handling of customer money just as the firm was gearing up for expansion and bitcoin was edging out of the shadows as an investment and a means of online settlement.

By early 2012, a small group of Mt. Gox employees, all of whom worked on one-year contracts, began to worry that customer funds had been diverted to cover operating costs that they estimated to be rising. Those costs included rent in a Tokyo high-rise that also housed offices for Hulu and Google, high-tech gadgets such as a robot and a 3-D printer and a souped-up, racing version of the Honda Civic imported from Britain for Karpeles, people who have reviewed expenses said."

"Karpeles was the only person at Mt. Gox who had access to the bank accounts, and each withdrawal request was handled manually, slowing the process, three former employees said."

With former employees talking to the press and police, jail for Karpeles looks a lot more likely.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 10:18:40 AM

Those employees have done us a disservice not blowing the whistle on this long ago. I would have liked to know that deposits were being used to buy 3d printers, roboters and cars.
Nagle (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2014, 06:59:46 PM

Those employees have done us a disservice not blowing the whistle on this long ago. I would have liked to know that deposits were being used to buy 3d printers, robots and cars.
The employees had no one to report it to. It wasn't clear that Mt. Gox had a legal obligation to segregate customer funds. The Japan Financial Services Agency wasn't regulating Mt. Gox.

Now, at a real brokerage, in the US or Japan, dipping into customer funds is a crime, and employees have an obligation to report it.

Once there's a bankruptcy and fraud is suspected, it's all different. Now it's time for employees to cooperate with the cops, so they don't take the fall for the crime. (In the US, the first person to report a multi-person fraud to prosecutors gets off. But only the first person. Sometimes this results in a race to the prosecutor's office.)
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 08:56:57 PM

Those employees have done us a disservice not blowing the whistle on this long ago. I would have liked to know that deposits were being used to buy 3d printers, roboters and cars.

Anyone with a conscience would have blew MTGOX up years ago when this was going on behind closed doors. Tsk tsk tsk

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

hardpick

Activity: 265
Merit: 250

Football President

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2014, 09:28:53 PM

he lost $500 Million  --- a car -and printer  maybe $200 K  ---- need to find the $499.8 Million
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 09:51:24 PM

With former employees talking to the press and police, jail for Karpeles looks a lot more likely.

Best news I've heard in recent memory.
Please put Mark in jail where he belongs.

TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2014, 10:54:09 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embezzlement

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
silvermario

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 11:01:58 PM

he lost $500 Million  --- a car -and printer  maybe $200 K  ---- need to find the $499.8 Million

This is about the situation in 2012, he haven't got $500 mil back then.
This only shows how unprofessional Karpeles dealt with customer funds.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 11:18:22 PM

At least the police are involved.

Oldminer
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 08:51:26 AM

I hope Jim from 'support' is onto this too. Hopefully the Japanese police will be able to make more sense of his useless rants than I ever could  Huh

Go get 'em tiger 

If you like my post please feel free to give me some positive rep https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=18639
Tip me BTC: 1FBmoYijXVizfYk25CpiN8Eds9J6YiRDaX
Imerman2

Activity: 83

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 10:20:57 AM

"Mt. Gox faced questions on handling client cash long before crisis" - Reuters exclusive.

"A bankruptcy administrator and police are seeking to determine how a Tokyo start-up that shot from obscurity to dominate global trade in bitcoin managed to lose more than $27 million in old-fashioned cash held in a bank as well as bitcoins worth close to $450 million at today's prices."
"In interviews with Reuters, current and former employees at Mt. Gox described the strains that emerged over the handling of customer money just as the firm was gearing up for expansion and bitcoin was edging out of the shadows as an investment and a means of online settlement.

By early 2012, a small group of Mt. Gox employees, all of whom worked on one-year contracts, began to worry that customer funds had been diverted to cover operating costs that they estimated to be rising. Those costs included rent in a Tokyo high-rise that also housed offices for Hulu and Google, high-tech gadgets such as a robot and a 3-D printer and a souped-up, racing version of the Honda Civic imported from Britain for Karpeles, people who have reviewed expenses said."

"Karpeles was the only person at Mt. Gox who had access to the bank accounts, and each withdrawal request was handled manually, slowing the process, three former employees said."

Am I the only one that thinks an exchange that owned 100,000 Bitcoins, and handled a large portion of all Bitcoin trading could afford these things.  This article is laughable.  All their "facts" are vague with no sources and aren't anything out of the ordinary for a company with over $500 million in assets.  Employess didn't like the boss who was probably much younger than them leading them to challenge his authority, they have a meeting to ask for more power, boss doesn't want to appear weak and lose control of the business.  After trouble in business, same disgruntled workers who wanted more power now throwing the boss under the bus.  That's not news, for the media it creates controversy, but there was no substance.

The only way Karpeles goes to jail is if he wasn't properly maintaining his corporate veil, meaning he didn't maintain separation of his company as a separate entity.  The article said nothing important.
mgroenouwe

Activity: 67

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 10:40:09 AM

I think that if MK owned 100,000 BTC he could afford to pay all the expenses he made. Even a private car. Why not?
Maybe it's wrong to use our money to buy it, but two years ago he couldn't buy it with Bitcoins...

Furthermore, when almost all BTC are recovered MK can use his own BTC to cover all of the fiat money missing.

To ensure that the price of BTC isn't going down to much at once, he could sell his BTC dozens at a time instead of all at once. Some script that sell's like 10 BTC every hour or so. With that kind of BTC no one will even notice that. It will take only a few months to cover all the money missing and quicker when the price goes up.
janos666

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 02:49:02 PM

A Honda Civic? Shocked
Really???
It that what it took to break all the hell loose around Bitcoin? A Honda Civic? Grin

Every time I read something new about Mt.Gox I say "it can't get any more ridiculous than this" and it always does. Cheesy

Breaking news: The CEO of a thousands of $ million worth company dared to buy an expensive version of a Honda Civic.
LOL! Just LOL...

I am not a CEO of $million+ company and yet I wouldn't be happy with a Honda Civic, even if it's a "racing version".
And I need a decent car for my work. I couldn't imagine how you can be a company CEO without a decent car.

It wasn't even a Ferrari or a Lamborghini. And even then, that would be practically nothing compared to the missing funds.
How could somebody say these things without laughing?
clownius

Activity: 448
Merit: 254

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 03:31:55 PM

you havre to understand the level of hate for anything MTGox here.   If he spent money on anything more expensive than 2 minute noodles someone here will have a shitfit.
dserrano5
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 04:33:29 PM

If he spent money on anything more expensive than 2 minute noodles someone here will have a shitfit.

OTOH the same happens if he spent money on anything cheaper than a mansion as we're seeing in this very thread.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 04:42:27 PM

Grr. I wish they would provide some info on who they talked to. Otherwise it's just another anonymous claim. Oh well, now that the courts are involved I think we are going to find out a lot. Judges are not going to entertain statements that "a guy on the Internet" made. There will be subpoenas for witnesses and jail time for lairs. There will be accountants and fact checkers and no place for the truth to hide. Then we will likely know what happened.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Nagle (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2014, 05:13:42 PM

Breaking news: The CEO of a thousands of $ million worth company dared to buy an expensive version of a Honda Civic.
LOL! Just LOL...
The original Reuters article says Mt. Gox was only generating about $1500 a month in income at that point.

Remember all those deals under which big traders didn't pay fees? 
itsunderstood

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

American1973

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 07:13:10 PM

Lawyers won't do shit.  Their cadre is completely an enemy of humanity.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/is-the-us-stock-market-rigged/

[...]

Michael Lewis: One hedge fund manager said, "I was running a hedge fund that was $9 billion and that we figured that the, just our inability to, to make the trades the market said we should be able to make was costing us $300 million a year." That was $300 million a year in someone else's pocket.

Steve Kroft: Is this illegal?

Michael Lewis: No. That's the thing that's so shocking about all this. It should...

Steve Kroft: Well you used the word front running. Front running's illegal.

Michael Lewis: This form of front running is legal. It's legalized front running. It's crazy that it's legal for some people to get advance news on prices and what investors are doing. It's just nuts. Shouldn't happen.

Read that again before you feel hopeful about anything lawyers do:  "It's crazy that it's legal for some people"

...Indeed.

Check out my prescient ATS thread from 2008: "Windows XP: End the Cyberwar, Open the Code Now!" http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread411978/pg1
Bit_Happy
Legendary

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 03:48:29 AM

Any photos of Mark being taken to jail?
What can we do to speed this up?

clownius

Activity: 448
Merit: 254

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 04:23:39 PM

Any photos of Mark being taken to jail?
What can we do to speed this up?

Provide some evidence hes done something illegal to the police would be a damned good start.  until someone does i doubt hes getting arrested.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: