Bitcoin Forum
August 25, 2024, 09:18:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Little things that bug you/me about the forum  (Read 1563 times)
PowerGlove (OP)
hacker

Activity: 566
Merit: 4821

View Profile
August 15, 2024, 12:52:46 PM

Here's an idea: if a topic only has a new post from a user on my Ignore list (I'm talking about you ChartBuddy), it shouldn't show up on my Watchlist.
I like the sound of it. The problem is, it involves two things (user ignore, and the watchlist) that aren't present in my branch of SMF. There's no harm in posting ideas that I can't currently work on, though: I expect that I'll be able to work on them at some point.

I really, really hate the trend of having to guess the meaning of icons (and that's a lot worse on any "modern" website than it is on Bitcointalk).
Yeah, I know just what you mean. Smiley

But, in this case there's actually an icon-legend at the bottom of the page:

Will that also work on very long topics?
I think so. Behind the scenes it just makes the SQL query (that retrieves the posts) strictly more selective. The pagination and everything else will work like it normally does. Maybe there's some effect that I haven't accounted for, but, I'll probably be able to work around it if I bump into performance problems. It's actually an old patch (October 2022) that I'm re-working: When I originally sent it to theymos I'd only been on the forum for 4 months, so, I get why he didn't make time back then to carefully consider it. (Anyone else feel mildly embarrassed after reading their old posts/PMs?) Cheesy
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 17269

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2024, 01:34:20 PM

But, in this case there's actually an icon-legend at the bottom of the page:
Who looks at that? Tongue

(Anyone else feel mildly embarrassed after reading their old posts/PMs?) Cheesy
Ask theymos Tongue Some of his old posts are amazing Tongue
I thought BitCoin only generated in 50 coin increments, but I got 50.44 here.
Most users have funny first posts anyway Smiley

RickDeckard
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 3105

View Profile
August 15, 2024, 01:39:05 PM
Merited by PowerGlove (1)

Here's an idea: if a topic only has a new post from a user on my Ignore list (I'm talking about you ChartBuddy), it shouldn't show up on my Watchlist.
I like the sound of it. The problem is, it involves two things (user ignore, and the watchlist) that aren't present in my branch of SMF. There's no harm in posting ideas that I can't currently work on, though: I expect that I'll be able to work on them at some point.
This reminds me of the "bug" that I incorrectly reported here[1]. It didn't reach any consensus but I really believe that if I created a thread in a board that I have on my ignore list - due to numerous reasons - because it was the right place to do it, I should still be able to see it on my profile (for updates and such). I know that there's a workaround by just allowing the board to show up during a specific period of time, but I don't believe that is a balanced solution considering that someone in the future may post in the thread and I wouldn't be able to know it if I had the board ignored.

[1]https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5500520.msg64235262#msg64235262

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4438
Merit: 3853

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
August 15, 2024, 02:58:01 PM

(In an upcoming patch, I'm considering making those face-containing icons clickable: The idea would be that when you click on it, it would open the topic, but with just your posts visible, so that you can easily see the things you've already said in that topic. Seems like an odd feature on its own, but, it's part of a bigger patch to allow quickly seeing only the posts within a topic by a specific author.)

I don't really see the benefit of doing that to be honest, unless you will be able to access this from the "Show latest posts from this user" page.

that gives posts in all topics, i think powerglove means to show replies in that thread only
dkbit98
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 7387

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2024, 07:55:42 PM
Merited by PowerGlove (1)

Speaking about ignore, I would like to see a patch that would improve and expand forum Ignore feature.
I know about some scripts that are used for ignoring individual threads, but I have to use them browser extension for script to work.
Do you know how complicated would be to add Ignore Thread feature/button wirh SMF patch?

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
joker_josue
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 4808

**In BTC since 2013**

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2024, 11:56:27 PM

More specifically, I would like to know which topics I have already posted and which I didn't.
That's what that "little face" being present in the left-most icon means (that you've posted in that topic before):

(In an upcoming patch, I'm considering making those face-containing icons clickable: The idea would be that when you click on it, it would open the topic, but with just your posts visible, so that you can easily see the things you've already said in that topic. Seems like an odd feature on its own, but, it's part of a bigger patch to allow quickly seeing only the posts within a topic by a specific author.)

I already knew this... perhaps because I had already dealt with other forums.  Grin

Now, I don't see any advantage in clicking this icon and only seeing my posts. If you skip to my last post you are fine. Now just my posts? I think it doesn't make sense. But maybe I'm the one who doesn't understand the point.

PowerGlove (OP)
hacker

View Profile
August 16, 2024, 02:44:22 AM
Merited by dkbit98 (1)

Now, I don't see any advantage in clicking this icon and only seeing my posts.
Yup, it's a little confusing, but I think it'll make sense to you when the time comes...

The small feature you're referring to is basically just a throw-in (it's something that I can add, effectively "for free", once the rest of the code is in place). The broader feature is mostly about being able to "teleport" around large topics by focusing and then unfocusing on the posts made by a specific user (but, that's very difficult to appreciate until you've seen it in action).

For example, I often find myself in a position where I'm on one of theymos' posts in an old topic, and I'd like to jump to the next post (in that topic and if one exists) by theymos. Once you're used to that idea (being able from within a topic to one-click see just the posts made by a specific author), it becomes convenient to sometimes see just your own posts within a given topic (to refresh your memory of that topic from your own perspective, by seeing all the things you said, and who you said them to). For that particular use-case, the icon I was talking about ends up being a very natural place to hang a link (it stands to reason that if that's the icon that informs you that you've already posted in that topic, it should also be the icon that lets you discover what you've posted in that topic).

Speaking about ignore, I would like to see a patch that would improve and expand forum Ignore feature.
Yup, ignore-related features have been on my mind for a long time...

I dipped my toes into this back when I agreed to look into a topic-ignore feature:

Hehe, yeah I'll look into this. Smiley

I'm busy helping theymos with something that might keep me occupied for a while, and then after that I'd like to send him the 2FA patch that I've been talking about for months. Once those two things are done, I'll see about this proposal; haven't thought too deeply about it, but it seems like a good idea to me, and I think it's something that I would personally use.

I think maybe a logical place to put it would be here (bottom right):

And then, obviously something in "Modify Profile" to maintain the list of topic IDs.

The thing is, my to-do list has since picked up enough ignore-related items that the approach I'm most drawn to at this point is to just scrap the existing features and replace them with a new unified ignore system that could handle everything [1]: users, boards, topics, etc. I'd even like to add ignore expressions, so that you could (effectively) say something like: "In my topic in the Lending section, only show me posts made by Jr. Members and above." Shocked

That previous thought-arc is actually pretty common: With a lot of the suggestions I've internalized, I think about them on their own for a time, and then I think about them on-and-off in the context of all the other ideas from that same universe, and then I sometimes come up with something cool that would tie the whole collection of ideas up into a neat bundle with a nice pretty bow, except for the fact that it cuts across code that I don't have access to, or would involve too much code, either for me to safely/sensibly write or for theymos to comfortably review... so I put the whole thing on ice.

SMF has just about the worst possible architecture for feature development: It's much harder to make bug-free modifications to it than I think most people can really appreciate. By far, most of the time I've spent thinking about Bitcointalk has actually been dedicated to finding a way to lay the technical foundation for me to work a bit more independently and much more safely, but, for now I'm basically stuck working on things beneath a certain complexity threshold (which is why I titled this topic the way I did).

[1] xkcd 927 doesn't apply: I'm talking about replacement not addition. Cheesy
joker_josue
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 4808

**In BTC since 2013**

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2024, 06:45:41 AM

Now, I don't see any advantage in clicking this icon and only seeing my posts.
Yup, it's a little confusing, but I think it'll make sense to you when the time comes...

The small feature you're referring to is basically just a throw-in (it's something that I can add, effectively "for free", once the rest of the code is in place). The broader feature is mostly about being able to "teleport" around large topics by focusing and then unfocusing on the posts made by a specific user (but, that's very difficult to appreciate until you've seen it in action).

For example, I often find myself in a position where I'm on one of theymos' posts in an old topic, and I'd like to jump to the next post (in that topic and if one exists) by theymos. Once you're used to that idea (being able from within a topic to one-click see just the posts made by a specific author), it becomes convenient to sometimes see just your own posts within a given topic (to refresh your memory of that topic from your own perspective, by seeing all the things you said, and who you said them to). For that particular use-case, the icon I was talking about ends up being a very natural place to hang a link (it stands to reason that if that's the icon that informs you that you've already posted in that topic, it should also be the icon that lets you discover what you've posted in that topic).

OK, I get the idea and the usefulness of this.
But, the icon would only lead to my posts, so what was your idea for me to be able to see another user's posts?

PowerGlove (OP)
hacker

View Profile
August 16, 2024, 11:47:13 AM

But, the icon would only lead to my posts, so what was your idea for me to be able to see another user's posts?
The idea is in this topic: Member filtering widget [◇/◈] (SMF patch). (The specifics have changed compared to what was presented in that opening post, but it should still give you a good idea of what I have in mind.) Wink

(Re-reading that topic made me smile, particularly that last post of mine: like anyone cares that I'm a "warm" winker, and not a "cheeky" winker.) Cheesy

I don't really see the benefit of doing that to be honest, unless you will be able to access this from the "Show latest posts from this user" page.
Hmm... I think the piece of information you might be missing is that I'm imagining those face-containing icons as being one way to quickly get at all the posts you've made within a topic. Another way, of course, would be to just navigate to any one of your own posts and then click on the filtering-widget (basically, clickable face-containing icons don't really factor into this whole idea much, they're just a semi-helpful option for when you're looking at the topic from the outside: like when you're just browsing the board, or in the watchlist, for example).

If you find yourself in a situation where you don't know whether or not you've posted in a given topic (but would like to know), and you can't get eyes on any of its potentially face-containing icons, then the thing to do (after the patch is merged; obviously doesn't work ATM) would be to manually add your UID to the URL, like this (using WO [1] as an example): https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=178336;u=2739424.

[1] Not the best example, because that thread is basically pegged to the top of Speculation, but, yeah, I'm sure you get the idea. Smiley
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 17269

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2024, 08:01:36 AM

I can usually find all messages from a certain user when I search Search my PM inbox for "e" from "username". I'd like to do the same on my outbox, but it's not possible.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: