Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 10:24:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Island  (Read 9661 times)
TippingPoint
Legendary

Activity: 905
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 03:29:08 PM

We should amass bitcoins and buy an island.. make it a country and have it's currency BTC.  That is all.

Which would be more likely to succeed?

• amass bitcoins and buy an island
  • amass bitcoins and support a revolution of oppressed indiginous people on an island

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
blacksails

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 03:32:11 PM

Why do you have to go and ruin a perfectly good island by creating a government there?

well maybe not a gov like we know it - but we need some members to keep eye on everything Smiley

make every resident accountable. they all do weekly voting on certain island agenda's.

after all it wold be an island of a small population, not a 70 million population country that needs a small committee to be the voice/representation of the many to keep debates controllable and civil.

and all bitcoiners would be smart enough to vote using a blockchain.

Yeah well. This sounds good Smiley
What would be a population you think? Smiley How many Bitcoin users are here with us? Smiley
@Bitcointalk we have ~302k registered users, perhaps some of them are no longer visiting Bitcointalk, but ~302k.
+ those who haven't yet registered @Bitcoin talk - maybe a 1 million? Smiley

It's like my home city population Smiley it is not that small Smiley we will have time indeed to keep everything in our hands Smiley

Our only work will be mining Cheesy and taking care of the island and other people.

One million would be way to much! When I think of a "bitcoin island" I think of a small island with a few thousand inhabitants at most.
We would not need a government, digital freedom and privacy would be respected and it would be the digital capital of the world. Direct-democratic of course.
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2014, 06:45:28 PM

Why do you have to go and ruin a perfectly good island by creating a government there?

well maybe not a gov like we know it - but we need some members to keep eye on everything Smiley

make every resident accountable. they all do weekly voting on certain island agenda's.

after all it wold be an island of a small population, not a 70 million population country that needs a small committee to be the voice/representation of the many to keep debates controllable and civil.

and all bitcoiners would be smart enough to vote using a blockchain.

Yeah well. This sounds good Smiley
What would be a population you think? Smiley How many Bitcoin users are here with us? Smiley
@Bitcointalk we have ~302k registered users, perhaps some of them are no longer visiting Bitcointalk, but ~302k.
+ those who haven't yet registered @Bitcoin talk - maybe a 1 million? Smiley

It's like my home city population Smiley it is not that small Smiley we will have time indeed to keep everything in our hands Smiley

Our only work will be mining Cheesy and taking care of the island and other people.

One million would be way to much! When I think of a "bitcoin island" I think of a small island with a few thousand inhabitants at most.
We would not need a government, digital freedom and privacy would be respected and it would be the digital capital of the world. Direct-democratic of course.

Well perhaps not all of the users will be happy to change their place of living so few thousands maybe will be enough ... Smiley

grifferz

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 06:52:17 PM

This great nation could easily adopt BTC and that nation is Sealand

I believe that their history and very existence aligns well with BTC.

We need to talk to Prince Michael Bates about this.
Sealand is a joke. If there is any entity likely to walk away with a nation's bitcoin treasury it is the current "Sealand government".

Turns out that ability to board and maintain ownership of a gun emplacement in the sea does not correlate well with running a successful business, or general mental stability.

https://www.defcon.org/images/defcon-11/dc-11-presentations/dc-11-Lackey/dc11-havenco.pdf
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2014, 06:52:51 PM

I have been down this road before. Much further than just chatting about ideas online.

As part of the Free State Project a group of us were going to work on buying land for a "free town" type of project. Discussion went on for months. We weighed different parts of the state with graphs and voting numbers and laws and every type of analysis we could come up with.

Finally we determined that if 50 of us put in $10k each we would have enough to buy a large lot of land that could be divided between us with the goal of around 5-10 acres each. So we had one guy who lived in the state who's dad did that type of real estate business himself who was just getting into starting his own business start working on setting things up for us. He set up a corporation and started setting out to find land. He had a contract written up and asked for people to start submitting their checks, with a signed contract from him and us.

It ended up with just 2 of us (me and another couple) sending him $10k. Meanwhile he's driving all over the state taking pictures and talking to land owners, sending us everything we want, but nobody else ponied up any cash. He ended up giving the money back, losing out on time and money.

It ended up that everyone was all talk with no ability to actually invest in such an idea. The discussions died off and that was the end of it.

That is why I started working on BitPools. Where you can keep your bitcoins in your wallet but can pledge your money toward such a goal. If enough people pledge to the point that it is a viable possibility it is only then that people will start working on actual proposals. Then people can vote with their bitcoin on whichever idea they like best and the project gets funded.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 07:07:27 PM

It is much easier to talk than actually do something.
Also, people who don't have the money might just be "dreaming".

roslinpl
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2014, 07:50:50 PM

I have been down this road before. Much further than just chatting about ideas online.

As part of the Free State Project a group of us were going to work on buying land for a "free town" type of project. Discussion went on for months. We weighed different parts of the state with graphs and voting numbers and laws and every type of analysis we could come up with.

Finally we determined that if 50 of us put in $10k each we would have enough to buy a large lot of land that could be divided between us with the goal of around 5-10 acres each. So we had one guy who lived in the state who's dad did that type of real estate business himself who was just getting into starting his own business start working on setting things up for us. He set up a corporation and started setting out to find land. He had a contract written up and asked for people to start submitting their checks, with a signed contract from him and us.

It ended up with just 2 of us (me and another couple) sending him $10k. Meanwhile he's driving all over the state taking pictures and talking to land owners, sending us everything we want, but nobody else ponied up any cash. He ended up giving the money back, losing out on time and money.

It ended up that everyone was all talk with no ability to actually invest in such an idea. The discussions died off and that was the end of it.

That is why I started working on BitPools. Where you can keep your bitcoins in your wallet but can pledge your money toward such a goal. If enough people pledge to the point that it is a viable possibility it is only then that people will start working on actual proposals. Then people can vote with their bitcoin on whichever idea they like best and the project gets funded.

Well I know that making this idea come true is not too easy and finding people who will really pay for this will be hard.

I must say, I haven't got even 100$ in that moment, so I know that all those are dreams for me - but my dreams sometimes come true Smiley
So I believe that this is possible - just more people need to join this idea.
blacksails

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 07:54:27 PM

It is much easier to talk than actually do something.
Also, people who don't have the money might just be "dreaming".
I know that if I had more money I'd seriously consider using some of it for a project like this. Until then I'll keep on dreaming Wink
b¡tco¡n

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

Correct Horse Battery Staple

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 08:42:50 PM

We should amass bitcoins and buy an island.. make it a country and have it's currency BTC.  That is all.

We should amass bitcoins and make the land we live on already less like a country. And take a holiday on the said island once in a while.

1GiB1jQnqjwmNW4U4i8autnnVb1fG8HTYM

This would be my avitar; http://s9.postimg.org/m2pzsiy57/avi.png
b¡tco¡n

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

Correct Horse Battery Staple

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 08:45:22 PM

Oh I found and island guys. Send me a bitcoin and it is yours:

1GiB1jQnqjwmNW4U4i8autnnVb1fG8HTYM

This would be my avitar; http://s9.postimg.org/m2pzsiy57/avi.png
Taras
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1053

Please do not PM me loan requests!

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2014, 08:50:33 PM

Oh I found and island guys. Send me a bitcoin and it is yours:

[image]
I suppose that mass of trash could be easily seized and controlled. And defended.
Using it won't be as easy. I mean... We could, but with some of the early adopters, bitcoin land belongs somewhere... sexier.
roslinpl
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2014, 09:26:13 PM

Smiley Yes this is not a best place for Bitcoin land Tongue

This idea will grow in a minds of many Smiley you will see Tongue

One day we will meet there Smiley and with others will be celebrating a VICTORY of BTC!

madmadmax

Activity: 740
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 09:39:23 PM

A) There won't be a military defending it, this means that criminals (or the U.S., the biggest criminals) could invade it freely and incite violence with minimal provocation.
B) There won't be a government willing to sell you an island in order to establish a government on it, you will never be recognized by anyone.
C) Your newly founded country would dry out from sanctions from all the governments feeding propaganda to the stupid masses about your country being a heaven for drug dealers etc.

▄▄▄▄▄               ▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄        ▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄██▀        ▀██▄    ▄██▀         ▀█▄
██▀            ▀██▄  ▀▀             ██
██               ▀██        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
██                ▀██▄      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
 ██▄          ▄██   ▀██▄          ▄▄▄
  ▀██▄      ▄██▀      ▀██▄▄     ▄██▀
    ▀▀██████▀▀          ▀▀██████▀▀

Unchained Smart Contracts
Decentralized Oracle
Infinitly Scalable
Blockchain Technology
Turing-Complete
State-Channels

▄████▄▄    ▄
██             ████████████▀
████▄         █████████████▀
▀████████▄▄   █████████████
▄▄█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
  ▀██████████████████████
   █████████████████████
    ▀█████████████████▀
      ▄█████████████▀
▄▄███████████████▀
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄██▄
     ▄      ▐████   ▄▄
   █████     ██████████
    █████████████████▀
 ▄████████████▀████▌
██████████     ▀████    
 ▀▀   █████     ██████████
      ▀████▌▄████████████▀
    ▄▄▄███████████████▌
   ██████████▀    ▐████
    ▀▀▀  ████▌     ▀▀▀
         ▀███▀
f

bananas

Activity: 364
Merit: 257

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 09:47:14 PM

that's not a bad idea, but the purpose should be just to make it officially a currency...it can be sealand, make bitcoin the nation currency and leave the"nation" empty as it is......
gustav

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 11:32:16 PM

regarding governement:
consensus-based direct democracy without representative is possible. There are high-tech democratic methods around 99,9% of you will not know about. Governments are really a waste of recources.

if you are interested in the future of real democracy take a look here:
http://systemicconsensus.blogspot.it

everything else will fail - i know from experience. I think direct democracy is congruent with what most anarchists want if it is done right. But maybe that is too progressive - i don't know. Voluntarism does not need to fail.

edit: I'll make a thread when i bought the island (later - we need btc much higher for that)
BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3780
Merit: 1372

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 01:01:30 AM

We should amass bitcoins and buy an island.. make it a country and have it's currency BTC.  That is all.

yes great Idea, lets make btc stores and jobs, btc mini gov.  I like this idea, More Ideas, how come and live there when is ready.

Should make a direct democracy non of this representative crap that actually is not a democracy no matter what any one says.

Forget the democracy idea. Democracy means that if 51% of the people decide on something, the 49% have to follow, even if they are adamantly against it. Rather, make it NO government, except...

If anyone damages someone's property, he must repay 4 times the expense of repairing the damage, and litigation expenses, as well. But if he harms someone, the same thing must be done to him as he harmed the other:
eye for eye;
tooth for tooth;
hand for hand;
life for life.

There should be judges elected by qualifications set down in a protocol like Mastercoin or Counterparty, based on Bitcoin. While there is no democracy, but rather freedom, said qualifications for judges should be voted on using Bitcoin-style security as to voting qualifications.

Judges would judge on whether harm or damage was the fault of someone, or whether it was simply the negligence of the one harmed or damaged.

Threats must be taken into account the same as harm or damage, based on judges determining whether or not the threat is valid. After all, we all say things like "f*** y**" to somebody sometime, yet we don't really mean that person any harm. But the kind of threat that would exist from someone building an atomic bomb in his garage should be judged and voted on by democratic voting, first by the judges, and then by the people.

However, if there is controversy regarding whether or not a judge judged faithfully, there should be a democratic vote by the people on the judges actions and judgement. There might be punishment for a judge who judged criminally incorrectly.

The only additional job of the judges would be to draft warnings, not laws. For example, if there is an area where it is dangerous to swim, the judges should see to it that there are signs put up that warn people from swimming there. The people would be free to swim there, but if they did, their harm and medical care would be on their own heads.

Also, judges should cause certain kinds of training to come about. For example, if a woman becomes pregnant, there should be no abortion, because it is murder. Rather, there should be warnings taught among the people that if a woman gets pregnant, she and the man have essentially agreed in advance, with the child-to-be, simply by getting together, that they will support that child until the child is strong enough and old enough to take care of himself/herself. It's on their heads for getting together in the first place, so that the child can live a reasonable life.

Let's not have direct democracy where people are controlled by the voting of other people. Let us rather have freedom and decentralization throughout the whole Bitcoin Island. The above is only some idea on how we can do it. Obviously, there would need to be a lot of details worked out.

Smiley

BUDESONIDE essentially cures Covid symptoms in one day to one week >>> https://budesonideworks.com/.
Hydroxychloroquine is being used against Covid with great success >>> https://altcensored.com/watch?v=otRN0X6F81c.
Masks are stupid. Watch the first 5 minutes >>> https://www.bitchute.com/video/rlWESmrijl8Q/.
Don't be afraid to donate Bitcoin. Thank you. >>> 1JDJotyxZLFF8akGCxHeqMkD4YrrTmEAwz
BADecker
Legendary

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 01:25:29 AM

yea fuck america and it's hI*h taxes!!  lets call it New Zealand and make the currency Ruples or something    Smiley

seriously America is the greatest on Earth!  but we have many problems of our own (such as an overcrowded penal system, etc..)

Actually, you can find all kinds of different country ratings about all kinds of things, if you search. United States is 12th economically - http://www.heritage.org/index/ranking.

General freedom - http://www.freedomhouse.org/report-types/freedom-world#.Uztl6ldcMcg.

Health freedom, U.S. is last - http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2013/01/new-health-rankings-of-17-nations-us-is-dead-last/267045/.

If you have to pay property tax, do you really have freedom? Isn't it the boss who tells us what we must do and not do? No freedom if there is taxation.

Smiley

BUDESONIDE essentially cures Covid symptoms in one day to one week >>> https://budesonideworks.com/.
Hydroxychloroquine is being used against Covid with great success >>> https://altcensored.com/watch?v=otRN0X6F81c.
Masks are stupid. Watch the first 5 minutes >>> https://www.bitchute.com/video/rlWESmrijl8Q/.
Don't be afraid to donate Bitcoin. Thank you. >>> 1JDJotyxZLFF8akGCxHeqMkD4YrrTmEAwz
BADecker
Legendary

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 01:27:59 AM

Yes, let's centralize all the enemies of the nation-state, so they can take us out with one single missile.

Brilliant!

This goes both ways. Let's centralize them all so that we know where they are when we decide to take them out!

Smiley

gustav

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 01:30:10 AM

[...] Democracy means that if 51% of the people decide on something, the 49% have to follow, even if they are adamantly against it. [...]

not. that stoneage. mayority-votes lead systemically to building parties and fight over power. it is really out of date. They don't teach you the good stuff in their institutions.
g33ky

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 01:35:18 AM

We should amass bitcoins and buy an island.. make it a country and have it's currency BTC.  That is all.

yes great Idea, lets make btc stores and jobs, btc mini gov.  I like this idea, More Ideas, how come and live there when is ready.

Should make a direct democracy non of this representative crap that actually is not a democracy no matter what any one says.

all voting recorded in the blockchain

That would honestly eliminate fraud... though you would have to register your name to a wallet....
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: