Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 03:43:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Security analysis of PoW/PoS hybrids with low PoW reward  (Read 13214 times)
mgburks77

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 03:40:08 PM

What if everyone else IS NOT mining both?

As soon as someone doublespends successfully on the network using the current PoS protocol, any node that is even modestly intelligent is going to switch to a more belligerent protocol that better defends the value of their coins.  Then you run into this problem.

OK, but can they doublespend if some miners are already only doing PoW mining for a hybrid PoS coin?

No, so long as the PoW difficulty is high enough to actually secure the network.  This requires subsidy (block reward) to be high enough to justify lots of people mining the chain.  Hence why PeerCoin works.

Hi Tacotime, thanks for the information! I notice you have an ad in your signature that describes a PoS/PoW hybrid.

Have you been able to resolve the issue with that coin?
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
tacotime
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 03:42:41 PM

Hi Tacotime, thanks for the information! I notice you have an ad in your signature that describes a PoS/PoW hybrid.

It's a very different system; basically PoS miners vote on every PoW block to verify the contents, and PoW blocks are validated one block at a time.  PoS miners are given complete control over the contents of PoW blocks and whether or not the PoW miner gets rewards.

This is a *really* experimental incentives system and it might do crazy things yet.  The Bitcoin core devs I've talked to are wary of it doing things I haven't predicted.  Additionally, it relies heavily on PoW (which I think is a good and reasonably fair distribution system).  But it does not have the "nothing at stake" forking issue.

It's more comparable to a blockchain with "two factor authentication" for every PoW block, to ensure that miners aren't putting weird transactions into the network or are simply not including transactions.

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
omahapoker

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 03:56:21 PM

I've been a MINT investor from the start. go most on my MINT at 8

today i told them I sold half my stake and keeping it BTC. first thing i thought was just stick it in blackcoin.

but from what ive seen fromthe exchanges market has become the last 2 months i'm just sticking with BTC.

i wished they was a bigger response from MINT people.

people know i never bash MINT, but we have to address issues like this.
mgburks77

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 03:58:55 PM

It's a very different system; basically PoS miners vote on every PoW block to verify the contents, and PoW blocks are validated one block at a time.  PoS miners are given complete control over the contents of PoW blocks and whether or not the PoW miner gets rewards.

This is a *really* experimental incentives system and it might do crazy things yet.  The Bitcoin core devs I've talked to are wary of it doing things I haven't predicted.  Additionally, it relies heavily on PoW (which I think is a good and reasonably fair distribution system).  But it does not have the "nothing at stake" forking issue.

It's more comparable to a blockchain with "two factor authentication" for every PoW block, to ensure that miners aren't putting weird transactions into the network or are simply not including transactions.
Is there a projected release date or is it totally experimental? 
tacotime
Legendary

Activity: 1484

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 04:01:39 PM

Hopefully testnet within 2-5 months or so, then mainchain launch after the testnet seems stable.

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
mgburks77

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 04:10:02 PM

Hopefully testnet within 2-5 months or so, then mainchain launch after the testnet seems stable.

Interesting. Thanks for the info!!! Cool
virtualfaqs

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2014, 07:53:33 PM

Sheesh. Wish I saw this thread when it was first posted. For someone running around MINT & BC thread, I'm still missing info.  Undecided

https://twitter.com/virtualfaqs
Looking for altcoin pump advice? Then follow me.
stormia

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 09:20:23 PM

Thank you for your help Blackcoin community, you know which people you are (rat4, Soepkip, etc). Perhaps now we can put our differences aside and work together or at the very least coexists as pure PoS coins.

Update on the potential security issues mentioned earlier.

As a cautionary measure and since MINT does not really need PoW, we have decided to get rid of the PoW. We don't want to take any security risk.
And since our ego is less important than your hard earned money, we won't have any problem to be thankful to another coin dev if it appears he has helped to increase MintCoin's security.

For now, a new wallet is available and this is a mandatory update!
https://mega.co.nz/#!YI4DETrC!0Cy_PFqWkLF52Ic_Hoo-5v_oyUGWa2R4dcIvlX1S2H0
brokedummy
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 09:51:01 PM

Not really a big deal, if it is an issue just fork it to not accept any more POW blocks.

Looks like I called it on the first page. Thanks rat4 for exposing the flaw and not leaving anybody with a bag of unconfirmed mints. Good guy dev makes competing coin more secure.
stormia

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 10:19:35 PM

Not really a big deal, if it is an issue just fork it to not accept any more POW blocks.

Looks like I called it on the first page. Thanks rat4 for exposing the flaw and not leaving anybody with a bag of unconfirmed mints. Good guy dev makes competing coin more secure.

+1. And sorry for being rude and assumptious with my initial post of this thread, it was uncalled for.
damiano
Legendary

Activity: 1246

103 days, 21 hours and 10 minutes.

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 04:54:57 AM

Hmm I know what I'm trying out tomorrow morning

Roll Eyes
mchrist152

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 03:16:18 PM

Were not there other ways to fix this issue?

For example, if the problem is PoW difficulty gets too low, why not set a minimum difficulty for PoW mining?

Or, do not allow two PoW blocks in a row.  Enforce that a least one PoS block is between each PoW block?

I think those fixes might be better than to just eliminating PoW altogether.  Just trying to understand this better.
noerc

Activity: 248

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 04:40:16 PM

For example, if the problem is PoW difficulty gets too low, why not set a minimum difficulty for PoW mining?

Or, do not allow two PoW blocks in a row.  Enforce that a least one PoS block is between each PoW block?

I think those fixes might be better than to just eliminating PoW altogether.  Just trying to understand this better.

If you set a lower bound to the difficulty that is much larger than the actual difficulty level then it is absolutely not profitable for any miner to generate PoW blocks anymore which basically leads to the same problem.
mgburks77

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 04:47:44 PM

Or, do not allow two PoW blocks in a row.

What about this idea? Can it be implemented? And is it worth doing?
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 04:52:58 PM

If you set a lower bound to the difficulty that is much larger than the actual difficulty level then it is absolutely not profitable for any miner to generate PoW blocks anymore which basically leads to the same problem.
Most of the premined pos coins are not profitable to mine pow anyway.. 1 coin per block at 20 sats.

I figure the devs were either lazy or dont understand the code enough to fully remove pow thus they just set the reward to the minimum so its quick and dirty. In reality if the pow is not helping with block authentication it
should be removed... surely devs knew if a hybrid approach was beneficial or not to the security against attacks that are common sense with both pow and pos?
noerc

Activity: 248

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 05:32:33 PM

Wouldn't this be the same as raising the PoW difficulty to the level that only one PoW would be generated in the time one PoS block gets generated? I don't really see the difference.
mgburks77

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 05:36:08 PM

Wouldn't this be the same as raising the PoW difficulty to the level that only one PoW would be generated in the time one PoS block gets generated? I don't really see the difference.

it wouldn't require that minors participate for a low block reward, yet you receive the same result
omahapoker

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 08:04:11 PM

I'm a MINT investor and want to thank you guys for exposing the issue. and no destroying the coin

i never bash people and dont know why MINT people did.

thanks again.

danbi

Activity: 393

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 08:23:55 AM

I am trying to qualify the claim made by the OP, that MintCoin had no PoS block in a hour.

What is the proof that this was because of the "attack", or there was just nothing to stake during that hour?

Also, how would an PoS block in a hybrid coin "invalidate many PoW blocks"? The PoW and PoS chains are pretty much independent, no?

BTC: 15cJkRupKAkGr6sTxj1Uzb6uHbvuRyK1GL
DMD: dJZEqNcjiUiMMd8DKBFS9oMWtArAD2GCHr
TotalPanda
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1012

vertex output parameter not completely initialized

View Profile
March 04, 2015, 04:32:59 PM

Hi

Is a classic standart non-POS sCrypt (end of POW) easily attackable ?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: