Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 04:49:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Location of next European Bitcoin Conference (London v Berlin)  (Read 8491 times)
minorman
Legendary

Activity: 945
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 08:20:45 AM

I have a preference for Berlin, but I'll go to London as well.

Looking forward to it!

██▄                ██        ▄███████▄        ██                  ██      ▄█████████▄ 
 ████              ██      █                  █      ██                  ██      ██                ██
 ██  ▀█            ██    ▄█                  █▄    ██                  ██    ██                  ██
 ██    █▄          ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██    ▀█                     
 ██      █▄        ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██      ██                   
 ██        █▄      ██                                  ██                  ██       ▀████████▄   
 ██          █▄    ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                        ██ 
 ██            █▄  ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                          ██
 ██              █▄██    ██                  ██    ▀█                  █▀    ▄▄                  █▀
 ██                ███      █                  █        █                  █      ██                ██ 
 ██                  ▀█        ▀███████▀            ▀███████▀         ▀█████████▀   

Nousplatform Youtube     
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2011, 10:34:43 AM

Was der Bauer net kennt, frisst er netGrin

Berlin for me because it's closer and I am one of ze Germans. (London is a great place to visit of course, but it doesn't necessarily have to be in a context of a Bitcoin conference.)

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
yossarian

Activity: 492
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 03:35:48 PM

We should be focusing on the conference, not the location!

Excellent point. Cheesy

However, it is important to find a consensus on the location before any in-depth preparations start. I also strongly hope that everybody interested in supporting the conference will do so no matter what city turns out to be the prefered location. This is especially true for getting speakers and media contacts. This will be a community effort, and everybody's input and help is appreciated.

I'm always buying and selling BTC, PM me for details. Rating and GPG-key: http://is.gd/yossarian

Buy and sell BTC via SEPA: https://www.bitcoin.de/r/nrnxg6

Bitmessage: BM-2DAoXPtLdQEnR2iSneCTjpgRPtzXsSAi1m
sonba

Activity: 395
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 25, 2011, 05:10:32 PM

I would vote for Berlin due to three main reasons, already mentioned by some people before me:
1) Berlin has a way larger Bitcoin Community. From what it looks like there are more German than UK bitcoin users at least judging by Prague
2) For most continental Europeans, Berlin is easier to reach and easier to pay
3) UK is tough due to visa problems. Quite some of my friends are Russians. They can move freely within Schengen but not to the UK. Thus, it might be a problem for some people to get to London

As in regard to media coverage - if it is really happening in Berlin I should be able to help in this respect. I only have contact to German media, though.
DeepBit
Donator

Activity: 532
Merit: 501

We have cookies

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2011, 08:48:02 PM

3) UK is tough due to visa problems. Quite some of my friends are Russians. They can move freely within Schengen but not to the UK. Thus, it might be a problem for some people to get to London
That's not really "freely" because they will still need Schengen visa, which is not so easy to get.
Hong Kong or Vietnam would be nice.

Welcome to my bitcoin mining pool: https://deepbit.net ~ 3600 GH/s, Both payment schemes, instant payout, no invalid blocks !
Coming soon: ICBIT Trading platform
tsupp4

Activity: 186
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 25, 2011, 08:56:49 PM

Berlin +1
(definitely I can't take part at a conference in London)

"It's not rich who got much, but who gives much."
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 26, 2011, 04:06:57 AM

I may be able to make it to Berlin.  I won't go to one in London (not for a few years at least)

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2011, 05:11:53 AM

alright Berlin!

Let's make it happen  Cool

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
becoin
Legendary

Activity: 3431
Merit: 1233

View Profile
December 26, 2011, 06:53:13 AM

Me, molecular and Mitchell (worldly) weighed up the various options for the location of the next conference. Me arguing for London, and molecular for Berlin.
What about Munich?
sonba

Activity: 395

View Profile
December 26, 2011, 10:16:04 AM

That's not really "freely" because they will still need Schengen visa, which is not so easy to get.
True - I was talking for all foreigners who already are in continental Europe. Plus - at least according to my friends it is easier to get Schengen Visa than UK VIsa - never tried it myself, though, so it's just hearsay.
winnetou

Activity: 361

View Profile
December 27, 2011, 05:07:56 PM

European Bitcoin Conference. However you can donate some coins of your blocked botnet accounts on Deepbit to me and I vote for Hong Kong.....

+1 Berlin
sethsethseth

Activity: 257

Not trusting third parties with my private keys

View Profile
December 27, 2011, 09:03:33 PM

If it is held in London again, can we please get some restaurant to accept bitcoin?  I would go out of my way to eat there all the time.

SealsWithClubs poker room has  over 400 players online. Buy in from .01 to 60btc.      BTCSportsMatch lets you bet sports with vig free lines!  Best kept secret in bitcoin....          LocalBitcoins.com is very user-friendly now for bank transfers.  You don't have to live close to trade when in the same currency area.           
Electrum client is awesome. Try it. And please stop sending bitcoins to sites run by security newbies, or don't complain when you lose everything.
Herodes

Activity: 868

View Profile
December 28, 2011, 12:01:23 AM

My vote for Berlin.
ineededausername

Activity: 784

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
December 28, 2011, 12:04:51 AM

why not make this thread a poll

(BFL)^2 < 0
yossarian

Activity: 492
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 28, 2011, 12:10:16 AM

why not make this thread a poll

@Genjix started one here: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Z93ZXZT

I'm always buying and selling BTC, PM me for details. Rating and GPG-key: http://is.gd/yossarian

Buy and sell BTC via SEPA: https://www.bitcoin.de/r/nrnxg6

Bitmessage: BM-2DAoXPtLdQEnR2iSneCTjpgRPtzXsSAi1m
Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2011, 12:32:05 AM

Would prefer London for obvious reasons (for me) but Berlin is doable.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
disclaimer201
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 28, 2011, 04:24:20 AM

Berlin has without doubt  by far the largest Bitcoin community in Europe. Alone because of the potential participiants who live here it would make absolute sense to choose Berlin.

Berlin is dead cheap, London is bloody expensive (I've just been there again last week and couldn't believe my restaurant bills Wink). This accounts for accomodation, cabs, food, drinks, conference space ... not to mention cigarettes  Cry!

[]

Yes, London is the biggest banking-place in Europe but that is the kind of banking where BTC precisely does not want to go.

Last but not least:
Berlin will still be part of Europe next year, the Londoners are not so sure about that (sorry, could not resist  Wink).

I'd say first we take Berlin!

Joe

+1 Berlin

I happened to be so broke in November I couldn't even pay for a trip to Prague at the time. And I live and work in Berlin, which is more expensive than Prague. Considering costs in London, I'd love to go there again but I'm afraid I couldn't afford it.
percymate

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 28, 2011, 09:02:07 AM

Berlin!
tucenaber

Activity: 337
Merit: 252

View Profile
January 03, 2012, 02:57:22 PM

My vote goes to Berlin. Cheaper, cooler, more central and inside schengen.
BTCurious

Activity: 714
Merit: 504

^SEM img of Si wafer edge, scanned 2012-3-12.

View Profile
January 03, 2012, 03:08:00 PM

I haven't done an official count, but it looks like there's more votes for Berlin than London…

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: