Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:24:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Location of next European Bitcoin Conference (London v Berlin)  (Read 8494 times)
Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 22, 2012, 01:43:10 PM

Fuck everything else in town
I'd be fucking pissed if it wasn't all-day.

Relax, dude! lol

Ente

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 22, 2012, 01:53:46 PM

+1 London

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
D.H.

Activity: 311
Merit: 250

Bitcoin.se site owner

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2012, 04:05:20 PM

Well, people can do both, you know.   Don't be so squared.

If I flew all the way from South Korea to go to a conference/convention, I'd be fucking pissed if it wasn't all-day.

And here's how some other people might think: "Berlin, yeah that's not too far and I wanted to see Berlin anyway. Let's see if my girlfriend want to go for a weekend trip, I don't have to attend everything at the conference anyway so we'll have some time together to see Berlin too".

www.bitcoin.se - Forum, nyheter och information på svenska! (Forum, news and information in Swedish)
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2012, 04:08:42 PM

I really don't understand or appreciate the "there are lots of other things to see in town too!" arguments. Fuck everything else in town, no one is going for a sightseeing expedition of a town, they're going to a convention/conference.

Well, people can do both, you know.   Don't be so squared.

If I flew all the way from South Korea to go to a conference/convention, I'd be fucking pissed if it wasn't all-day.

Matt, you can be at the conference all day. Come 8 o clock, I want a beer and a joint.

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
February 22, 2012, 04:08:56 PM

And here's how some other people might think: "Berlin, yeah that's not too far and I wanted to see Berlin anyway. Let's see if my girlfriend want to go for a weekend trip, I don't have to attend everything at the conference anyway so we'll have some time together to see Berlin too".

Same can be said for London. There's plenty to do and see in London as well.

forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
D.H.

Activity: 311
Merit: 250

Bitcoin.se site owner

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2012, 04:10:18 PM

Yes, of course, this was just a response to Matthew's "Fuck everything else in town, no one is going for a sightseeing expedition".

www.bitcoin.se - Forum, nyheter och information på svenska! (Forum, news and information in Swedish)
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
February 22, 2012, 04:20:40 PM

London is the #1 city for banking and trading in Europe, by far. If this event has decent media coverage a lot of capital could be entering the bitcoin market.

I'd say the fact that it's quite unknown here in London is an argument to have the conference here. Also, it's well connected to Asia and America.

I don't know what are the expectations for this event though. If it's going to be mostly a get-together, then probably Berlin is better as it's closer to a bigger number of current users.

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
February 22, 2012, 05:00:24 PM

Yes, of course, this was just a response to Matthew's "Fuck everything else in town, no one is going for a sightseeing expedition".

Hehe. Yes well, nothing wrong with stopping to smell the roses, but I'd prefer that the roses be at the conference.

Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126

View Profile
February 23, 2012, 11:29:56 AM

London is the #1 city for banking and trading in Europe, by far. If this event has decent media coverage a lot of capital could be entering the bitcoin market.

I'd say the fact that it's quite unknown here in London is an argument to have the conference here. Also, it's well connected to Asia and America.

I don't know what are the expectations for this event though. If it's going to be mostly a get-together, then probably Berlin is better as it's closer to a bigger number of current users.

What you say about London being more of a banking capital seems true.
Will that help Bitcoin? Is Bitcoin "grown up" enough to look for contact with the old banking system? Should we ever do something in that direction at all? And finally, even if we decided to do so, what would it change? Walking in all major banks and telling them "Hey, we'll have this awesome conference in a month!"? :-)

Unfortunately I didnt attend Praque. But I imagine it is more of a get-together than a coordinated connect-to-the-banks/finance/government..

Ente
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
February 23, 2012, 12:31:34 PM

What you say about London being more of a banking capital seems true.
Will that help Bitcoin? Is Bitcoin "grown up" enough to look for contact with the old banking system? Should we ever do something in that direction at all? And finally, even if we decided to do so, what would it change? Walking in all major banks and telling them "Hey, we'll have this awesome conference in a month!"? :-)

Unfortunately I didnt attend Praque. But I imagine it is more of a get-together than a coordinated connect-to-the-banks/finance/government..

Ente

Actually "contact" with the old banking system is very needed. We need capital to switch to bitcoin.

becoin
Legendary

Activity: 3431
Merit: 1233

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 04:45:34 PM

Actually "contact" with the old banking system is very needed. We need capital to switch to bitcoin.
I doubt we need capital to switch to bitcoin. But even if you feel you need looking for capital the old banking system is the wrong place to look into. There is no capital there. There is only debt. And not just debt but extremely leveraged debt!
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 05:15:18 PM

I doubt we need capital to switch to bitcoin. But even if you feel you need looking for capital the old banking system is the wrong place to look into. There is no capital there. There is only debt. And not just debt but extremely leveraged debt!

There is a lot of people with capital close to the banking system or into it. Having cities like London well aware of bitcoin would be a massive boost. Some of the biggest news agencies in the world have their European (or global) HQs here in London as well.

The strength and actual real world usability of bitcoin largely depends right now of its exchange for fiat. Fiat rules the world right now, not acknowledging that is absurd. Implying that the bitcoin economy doesn't need capital to switch sounds delusional to me.

That said, maybe this conference won't have a big publicity impact, or is not even expected to. As I said before, if the main goal is to get the most current bitcoin users together, then Berlin makes more sense. It's closer to most bitcoin users in Europe.

Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2012, 07:00:45 PM

It's going to have a very public impact.

Trust me.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2012, 01:23:57 AM

Would this be in March or April? it would be nice to know with enough time in advance to book for cheaper.

BTCurious

Activity: 714
Merit: 504

^SEM img of Si wafer edge, scanned 2012-3-12.

View Profile
February 28, 2012, 08:06:04 AM

Would this be in March or April? it would be nice to know with enough time in advance to book for cheaper.
Not before August, if I recall correctly.

wareen
Millionaire
Legendary

Activity: 910

Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data

View Profile
February 28, 2012, 10:10:44 AM

To quote from Amir:

Yeah, we're going to make an announcement soon after we confirm the venue. We're shooting for either September or December.

▄▄▀▀▄▄
    ▄▄▀▀▄▄██▄▄▀▀▄▄
▄▄▀▀▄▄█████▄████▄▄▀▀▄▄
█▀▀█▄█████████████
█▄▄████▀   ▀██████
███████     █▄████
█████▀█▄   ▄██████
█▄█████▌   ▐█████
█████▀█     ██████
██▄███████████████
▀▀▄▄▀▀█████▀████▀▀▄▄▀▀
    ▀▀▄▄▀▀██▀▀▄▄▀▀
        ▀▀▄▄▀▀
.PDATA..
TOKEN..
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
TELEGRAM     BITCOINTALK     FACEBOOK
MEDIUM    SLACK    TWITTER    YOUTUBE
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   E M A I L   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
February 29, 2012, 12:27:15 AM

The conference is going to be in December so there will be ample time to prepare.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
disclaimer201
Legendary

Activity: 1526

View Profile
March 05, 2012, 04:18:09 AM

I'm not sure if it's the right year for going super public and carrying Bitcoin to London yet. There are still many important problems to solve and bitcoin is far from going mainstream. The media won't help much until those issues are resolved. They will write about it as some of them already have and illustrate all the shortcomings of the system esp its security issues (recent and last years hacks) and its volatility. No banker in their right mind will take it seriously, esp since it's a system whose promotion will put their job on the line in the future.

If you ask me, we are still (and should be) in an underdog position working things out, making a strategy, and forming a community. Berlin would be the right (ie cheaper) place for that. Instead of London in December 2012, make it spring 2013. No big difference.

Forp

Activity: 195
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 07, 2012, 06:43:35 PM

There will be a Bitcoin tutorial and workshop in Braunschweig as part of the German computer scientists meeting. It will be mixed language (English and German).

http://bitcoin.uni-rostock.de

The results of the workshop will be published as a special issue of Future Internet.

http://www.mdpi.com/journal/ajax/events/futureinternet
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 05:39:42 PM

There will be a Bitcoin tutorial and workshop in Braunschweig as part of the German computer scientists meeting. It will be mixed language (English and German).

http://bitcoin.uni-rostock.de

The results of the workshop will be published as a special issue of Future Internet.

http://www.mdpi.com/journal/ajax/events/futureinternet

Clemens Kap is probably involved. Those of you who have been to the Prague conference know him. He had this hw-device... wonder what's become of it.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: