Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 10:05:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Square now accepts BTC  (Read 883 times)
pdawg (OP)

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 09:50:08 PM

http://corner.squareup.com/2014/03/square-market-accepts-bitcoin.html

durrrr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 10:17:08 PM

this is good to see another new business and website accepting bitcoin as a payment form. awesome another small victory for us

Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2014, 10:29:49 PM

I thought the OP meant "Squaresoft", and I was like, "that'd be awesome if it was 1990..."

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
farlack
Legendary

Activity: 1311

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 10:45:27 PM

This is fantastic, every starbucks in the USA accepts square payments!

I use square all the time, and I accept bitcoin, this is good news all around.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 10:49:55 PM

Interesting that Square are moving towards the technology of their bitcoin-based competition (Bitpay & Coinbase payment processors), except they're using the technology to move in on a different territory (eBay). It's as if they recognise the potential, but don't want to clutter or invalidate their main business, and so they feel they can get in-house cryptocurrency expertise, plus access/leverage into a different market they're going after.

So, how long before Square start offering bitcoin payment processing for merchants as an option? Hmm...#

Edit: didn't Stripe also start accepting or testing bitcoin?

Vires in numeris
g27wr

Activity: 221
Merit: 100

I like guns.

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 11:02:28 PM

This is awesome. I use Square as my card processor for my business. Great company.

TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2014, 11:41:47 PM

With processing fees the same as credit/debit? What's the point?

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
farlack
Legendary

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 11:48:19 PM

With processing fees the same as credit/debit? What's the point?

The fact that if a million people use square, when they make it available for hand held devices (phone, tablets) it will give access to 1 million people to accept bitcoin via payment processor.

The fact that

One of these stickers is sent with every card reader. Bitcoin accepted on the sticker will be massive.
The number of bitcoin accepted places are going to jump from a few thousand... to hundreds of thousands.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4500

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 11:51:05 PM

although i believe its only for their online marketplace "squaredup" imagine when they add it to their payment platform for on-the-street merchants as a new stage in the near future.

every starbucks accepts square. i hope people see the potential of this..

paying bitcoins directly to starbucks at the cashier desk whilst they make your coffee, without having to buy giftcards first..

this is a great bitcoin adoption method for merchants. imagine the amount of stores now accepting bitcoin transactions because of square.

then stage 3 would be showing merchants like starbucks they can continue taking bitcoin transactions, but with less fee's by the merchant themselves processing bitcoins instead of allowing square to do it for them

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 11:52:00 PM

OP has it wrong. Only the Square Market accepts Bitcoin, not the app.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
farlack
Legendary

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 11:54:35 PM

OP has it wrong. Only the Square Market accepts Bitcoin, not the app.

Yeah, for now.
~Coinseeker~

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 02:27:11 AM

Does this somehow increase the distribution of Bitcoin?  Are there now going to be a million new people holding Bitcoin, just to run out and spend it?  No?  Then this adds nothing. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: