Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:09:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Holidays slump  (Read 2734 times)
zby (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1592
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 21, 2011, 11:52:31 AM

So it seems that so many investors waited for the holiday slump that their bids cumulated into a critical mass.  But will the slump arrive?  I think it is still a possibility - after the investors spent the surplus money in the rally.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 04:35:04 AM

So it seems that so many investors waited for the holiday slump that their bids cumulated into a critical mass.  But will the slump arrive?  I think it is still a possibility - after the investors spent the surplus money in the rally.
What is your sample size for this "Holiday Slump" effect?
Bigpiggy01

Activity: 1138
Merit: 523

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2011, 08:43:31 AM
Last edit: December 22, 2011, 08:58:00 AM by Bigpiggy01

There are tons of peeps who have "extra" cash to play around with after Christmas so I don't really see much of a slump happening  Wink

Furthermore the 50% fee discount coming into effect on the 25th to the end of the year ought to do something for volume as well.

▄▄▄█
              ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀
      ▄▄█████████████████▀  ▄█
   ▄██████████████████▀ ▄▄██▀
  ███████████████▀▀  ▄▄█▀▀
 ███████████▀▀▀     ▀▀
 ██████▀▀   ▄    █
 ███▀  ▄▄████   ▐█
 █▀   ▄████▀   ▄█▌
      ▀▀▀    ▄██▌
▐▄ ▀█▄▄  ▄▄████▀
██▀  ▀▀█████▀▀
▐▌
RAPTOREUM
  TOKENIZING THE WORLD!
  ██▀
▐▌
▐║
▐║
▐▌
██▄
[ POW Algorithm: GhostRider    Anti-FPGA/ASIC ]
Assets/Tokens Masternodes Smart Contracts

.51% / Double Spend Protection, Instant Speed, Private Send.
▀██
▐▌
║▌
║▌
▐▌
▄██
█▀

█▄
◈ ──  SOCIAL MEDIA ─── ◈
Reddit Telegram Discord
Twitter  Medium GitHub
▀█
  █
  █
  █
  █
  █
▄█
zby (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 09:03:16 AM

I don't remember anything specific - but on the way up it was quite common that on weekends and bank holidays there were slumps - because no new money was coming in.  On the way down this effect disappeared - but now we are back on an up trend aren't we?
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 02:05:35 PM

Can't say this was unexpected.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
Absentis

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 04:02:32 PM

Furthermore the 50% fee discount coming into effect on the 25th to the end of the year ought to do something for volume as well.

Could you elaborate? What fee is being discounted?
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2011, 04:04:17 PM

Could you elaborate? What fee is being discounted?

MtGoxs trading fee

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 04:10:45 PM

I don't remember anything specific - but on the way up it was quite common that on weekends and bank holidays there were slumps - because no new money was coming in.  On the way down this effect disappeared - but now we are back on an up trend aren't we?

With Dwolla Instant that effect will be lessened.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
zby (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 23, 2011, 05:47:39 AM

Hmm - seems that the sell pressure got discharged, maybe there is nothing left for the holidays?
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
December 23, 2011, 05:53:39 AM

Money doesn't disappear, it changes hands. Stop worrying so much about what other people are doing with their money and start worrying about what you're doing with yours.

Also, if you are so interested in how much money is coming in to Bitcoin, why not do something to get more money into it? Speculation = circle jerk of people who can't "do".

zby (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 23, 2011, 09:14:04 AM

Money doesn't disappear, it changes hands. Stop worrying so much about what other people are doing with their money and start worrying about what you're doing with yours.

Also, if you are so interested in how much money is coming in to Bitcoin, why not do something to get more money into it? Speculation = circle jerk of people who can't "do".

It is kind of dumb to 'do something' without thinking what you are doing and advising it here is simply trolling.  I predicted this slump and saved a lot of money in this way.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 23, 2011, 09:54:35 AM

I wouldn't call it a slump... It's more like 1 guy cashed out $100,000 worth of bitcoin.  The good news is several people bought all those, so it makes the event harder to repeat.  As soon as the sale finished the price rapidly recovered.  Not fully, but $100,000 is huge volume.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
December 23, 2011, 01:20:36 PM

I have gone long on bitcoin.  In the very recent past (no, not $4.50+).  Which means, bitcoin is doomed and about to crash.  Everything I buy ends up going the other way in price.  I surely have the death touch when it comes to investing.  Beware.

Cheesy
Hotdog453

Activity: 121

View Profile
December 23, 2011, 07:29:53 PM

I have gone long on bitcoin.  In the very recent past (no, not $4.50+).  Which means, bitcoin is doomed and about to crash.  Everything I buy ends up going the other way in price.  I surely have the death touch when it comes to investing.  Beware.

Cheesy

We can cancel eachother out. When I sell, price goes up.

If you buy, and I sell, at the same exact time, the universe will explode.

ineededausername

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
December 23, 2011, 08:45:50 PM

I wouldn't call it a slump... It's more like 1 guy cashed out $100,000 worth of bitcoin.  The good news is several people bought all those, so it makes the event harder to repeat.  As soon as the sale finished the price rapidly recovered.  Not fully, but $100,000 is huge volume.

It's impressive how $100k hardly makes any impact on the closing price these days.  Just a few months ago, $100k could trigger a HUGE 50%-price-drop selloff.

(BFL)^2 < 0
proudhon
Legendary

View Profile
December 23, 2011, 10:24:50 PM

It's impressive how $100k hardly makes any impact on the closing price these days.  Just a few months ago, $100k could trigger a HUGE 50%-price-drop selloff.

Exactly.  It works the other way too, which is why I'm skeptical of seeing high prices any time soon.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
cheat_2_win

Activity: 215

View Profile
December 23, 2011, 11:54:34 PM

Exactly.  It works the other way too, which is why I'm skeptical of seeing high prices any time soon.

High prices now have to be based on the merits and depths of the bitcoin economy rather than on some manipulator buying large sums of bitcoin. On the other hand, I believe, it is easier now to increase the price of bitcoin than to decrease it as more and more bitcoins are in the hands of more and more people. People has now it seems stopped panic selling.
RandyFolds

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 24, 2011, 01:29:27 AM

Dwolla Instant is a non-issue. They have already been overwhelmed and had to cut the service off. Another amateur move by dwolla, but did anyone see giving away free money as going well?

Regarding the slump...what slump? Bitcoin is double the price of last month.
proudhon
Legendary

View Profile
December 24, 2011, 05:21:39 AM

Dwolla Instant is a non-issue. They have already been overwhelmed and had to cut the service off. Another amateur move by dwolla, but did anyone see giving away free money as going well?

That's true, but it's a little more than 4x less than the price 6 months ago.  Maybe this is a major reversal.  It isn't out of the question, but only time will tell.

kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2011, 08:09:14 AM

That's true, but it's a little more than 4x less than the price 6 months ago.  Maybe this is a major reversal.  It isn't out of the question, but only time will tell.

I would venture a theory that 6 months ago, the world got a little too excited and the price shouldn't have shot up to over 30.  Now we've got some balancing of the equation, so I would weight the fact that bitcoin is twice what it was a month ago more heavily than the fact that it's still down 75% from 6 months ago.

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: