Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 10:10:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: More solidcoin comedy - mutually assured destruction  (Read 1362 times)
julz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 08:22:20 AM

http://solidcointalk.org/topic/499-solidcoin-network-defense/

So the question is if SolidCoin added a way to defend itself against packet flooding through the "age old" method of mutually assured destruction who would support it? That is, anyone running the solidcoin server software can "opt themselves in" to become so called "enforcer nodes". That will allow their nodes to participate in taking out attacker IP addresses who are attacking particular nodes on the network.

So it seems to be only a tentative idea at this stage.. but what is he proposing.. turning a subset of the solidcoin network into a 'defensive' botnet?
If some solidcoin infrastructure is being attacked by a DDOS - what IP address does he think they're going to strike back at??
Who would decide what IP to strike anyway?  (silly question.. CoinHunter obviously!)

Wow.. How can so many bad ideas be shoe-horned into one cryptocurrency? Tongue

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
sd

Activity: 730
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 08:56:54 AM

I always knew that RealSolid/CoinHunter was a raving lunatic with second rate coding skills, third rate design skills, a Napoleon complex, and a minor talent for lying about BitCoin. Now he wants to play botnets. That is remarkably stupid, even for him.

Go for it I say, lets see how well his network fairs when the various ISPs involved start dropping his idiot-followers machines off the net.
julz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 09:26:25 AM

I always knew that RealSolid/CoinHunter was a raving lunatic with second rate coding skills, third rate design skills, a Napoleon complex, and a minor talent for lying about BitCoin. Now he wants to play botnets. That is remarkably stupid, even for him.

Go for it I say, lets see how well his network fairs when the various ISPs involved start dropping his idiot-followers machines off the net.

I used to just think of solidcoin as a cryptocurrency for cretins.. but despite my usual respect for the rule of not ascribing to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity - this sometimes seems more like a 'trojan horse' for the whole cryptocurrency concept.
If it were to gather a large enough herd of cretins, it would seem well placed to discredit cryptocurrencies and generally set back progress with users, merchants and regulators for decades.
Thankfully it doesn't seem to have any real momentum, so hopefully coinhunter is as stupid as he appears. Even so, maybe he can do a fair bit of damage even without intent.
In general I don't have such concerns about other cryptocurrencies such as namecoin,litecoin etc.

Perhaps for coinhunter's next trick he could require some password-cracking proof-of-work to be done by his minions in order to aid his botnet in 'defending' itself Tongue
Some idiots already suspect bitcoin's proof-of-work to be doing something nefarious - so if he's out to muddy the waters whilst building his empire of idiots, I'm sure he can come up with some marketing spin on that which SoiledCoin sycophants will lap up.

julz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 09:35:17 AM

And considering he will be responsible for the software that does it I do believe that would make him criminally responsible for the damages the software causes when it attacks for the most part compromised machines. At least I would think Australia has laws against that sort of thing like most other counties do.

Yes.. I believe DoS attacks come under our definitions of 'High tech crime'.
In Queensland (where I believe coinhunter resides) - the police even arrested a journalist and confiscated his iPad this year after he wrote an article reporting on an IT security conference where facebook privacy control vulnerabilities were discussed.
http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/journalist-arrested-at-it-security-conference-20110517-1erjh.html
This suggests to me that QLD law enforcement is about as dumb (and as power-abusive) as CoinHunter though!

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 02:27:54 PM

I used to just think of solidcoin as a cryptocurrency for cretins.. but despite my usual respect for the rule of not ascribing to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity - this sometimes seems more like a 'trojan horse' for the whole cryptocurrency concept.  If it were to gather a large enough herd of cretins, it would seem well placed to discredit cryptocurrencies and generally set back progress with users, merchants and regulators for decades.  Thankfully it doesn't seem to have any real momentum, so hopefully coinhunter is as stupid as he appears. Even so, maybe he can do a fair bit of damage even without intent.  In general I don't have such concerns about other cryptocurrencies such as namecoin,litecoin etc.

The worse part about it is even if he IS just stupid/insane if he caused a large enough attack the fallout would be the same.  Intentional or not the media would lump all cryptocurrencies together likely spin it as "botnet wars" as some essential part of the this "illegal drug funding" network.  The only IP he could be attacking are the botnet zombie nodes.  People who have no idea their systems are being used for illegal activity. 

It would be all around bad.
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2011, 04:58:17 PM

Yeah, we can wait to see what The Good Wife episode on Jan 15th will say about bitcoin.  But certainly all coins need to be handled with care at this point.

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 10:34:32 PM

Oh, scamcoin

FlipPro
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015

View Profile
December 23, 2011, 05:30:47 AM

Terrible idea... RS should be finding way's to give away power, not foster it...

Ughh, SMDH...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: