Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:51:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: This is Bitcoin's future in an image  (Read 3130 times)
genjix (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072

View Profile
April 08, 2011, 01:55:17 AM

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
April 08, 2011, 02:05:16 AM

Not bad.  I suspect this comes from a general theory about how new ideas get adopted.  Am I right?

Clarithium

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2011, 02:07:47 AM

The true question is, is that plateau of productivity high enough for bitcoin to be a success?

I make websites for bitcoins! Will help you host!Click Here
Bitcoin Mining Rigs
1CrNUxx8E9ds1jQ1dexp9FFjhcuUqupdmN
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
April 08, 2011, 02:08:22 AM

The true question is, is that plateau of productivity high enough for bitcoin to be a success?

No, I believe the graph repeat itself until we reach critical mass.

benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 09, 2011, 12:25:16 PM

You can invert that graph to get the price curve of any new technology:

Technology Trigger == Same
Peak of Inflated Expectations == Hobbyist Usage
Trough of Disillusionment == Early Adoption
Slope of Enlightenment == General Acceptance
Plateau of Productivity == Mass-Production and Commoditization

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
Jered Kenna (TradeHill)

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2011, 02:10:50 PM

Numerous innovations and advances such as instant transfers / debit cards etc etc all fall under the slope of enlightenment or each time something big happens does this cycle repeat?

moneyandtech.com
@moneyandtech @jeredkenna
Hal
VIP

Activity: 314
Merit: 3853

View Profile
April 10, 2011, 06:03:03 PM

Got any Google Trends graphs that match this shape?

Hal Finney
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
April 10, 2011, 06:07:18 PM

Got any Google Trends graphs that match this shape?

http://www.google.com/trends?q=bitcoin&ctab=0&geo=all&date=ytd&sort=0

ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2011, 05:08:07 PM

That's good news since if we already are at the Through of Disillusionment. Most technologies fail during this period. I don't see that for bitcoin right now....

However I think that this graph do not represent bitcoin as a whole but rather GPU mining in its current form.

What might be interesting is to try to model a polynomial after the curve we have here, as well as the hashing power of the network and use the correlation between the two polynomials to give some indicator.

Could even train a feed forward neural net with these.

Do I make any sense?
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
August 16, 2011, 08:47:01 PM

That's good news since if we already are at the Through of Disillusionment...
What you are seeing is only the first Trough of Disillusionment.
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2011, 08:57:50 PM

Nice Smiley

What you are seeing is only the first Trough of Disillusionment.
I think it's right. I predict that after the first one that revolved around security/trust issues, the second Trough of Disillusionment will be mostly about governments trying to shut exchanges down one after another or some major player getting shut down due to legal concerns.

Bitcoin is such an exciting adventure, doesn't happen very often to have the opportunity of being part of something really original and new !

Lolcust

Activity: 112
Merit: 11

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 09:08:03 AM

Um, IIRC bitcoin-central just got legally incorporated and cleared for some European banking thingie, so the governments acting in a coordinated manner (talk about cat herding  Roll Eyes ) to shut down bitcoins is a bit of cryptoanarchist paranoia Wink

Geist Geld, the experimental cryptocurrency, is ready for yet another SolidCoin collapse Wink

Feed the Lolcust!
NMC: N6YQFkH9Gn9CTm4mpGwuLB5zLzqWTWFw67
BTC: 15F8xbgRBA1XZ4hmtdFDUasroa2A5rYg8M
GEG: gK5Lx6ypWgr69Gw9yGzE6dsA7kcuCRZRK
davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2011, 09:28:19 AM

Um, IIRC bitcoin-central just got legally incorporated and cleared for some European banking thingie, so the governments acting in a coordinated manner (talk about cat herding  Roll Eyes ) to shut down bitcoins is a bit of cryptoanarchist paranoia Wink

Oh, I was thinking that even before I cleared all this Smiley

Governments might also not care at all, but somehow, I feel that if bitcoin really grows to be something important government will somehow have to do something to protect their control on financial flows.

That's what I find really interesting with bitcoin, nobody knows what the next big event or development is going to be Wink

Lolcust

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 12:04:44 PM

Well, if it grows bigger than painpal or moneybookers, someone might do something. And that would require a lot of peeps to outright abandon paypal, which I frankly don't see happening. Painpal is nowhere near aggravating enough.

Geist Geld, the experimental cryptocurrency, is ready for yet another SolidCoin collapse Wink

Feed the Lolcust!
davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2011, 12:15:35 PM

Well, if it grows bigger than painpal or moneybookers, someone might do something. And that would require a lot of peeps to outright abandon paypal, which I frankly don't see happening. Painpal is nowhere near aggravating enough.
You assume bitcoin and paypal (or other payment processors) are mutually exclusive, I think there are uses for all and niches to fill for bitcoin for example. The first one that comes to my mind is the illegal drugs market Smiley

Lolcust

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 12:31:44 PM

Well, yes, they aren't mutually exclusive, but there is a limit on how many payment systems a user can reasonably support Smiley

As for drugs, where I live, people were paying for drugs a-oky via prepaid cards and Webmoney with no small amount of success, though BTC does make some things easier, while making other things harder (every transaction is completely public, so "jurisdictional veils" do not apply)

Feed the Lolcust!
Ten98

Activity: 1008
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 18, 2011, 01:38:25 PM

Well, yes, they aren't mutually exclusive, but there is a limit on how many payment systems a user can reasonably support Smiley

As for drugs, where I live, people were paying for drugs a-oky via prepaid cards and Webmoney with no small amount of success, though BTC does make some things easier, while making other things harder (every transaction is completely public, so "jurisdictional veils" do not apply)

You don't need any jurisdictional veil. Sure, every transaction is public, but senders and recipients cannot be identified.

5BTC transferring from one account to another could be for anything, from anyone to anyone.
Lolcust

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
August 18, 2011, 03:27:32 PM

You don't need any jurisdictional veil. Sure, every transaction is public, but senders and recipients cannot be identified.

5BTC transferring from one account to another could be for anything, from anyone to anyone.

Well, we all know that the devil is in the details. You gotta   hide the history of those coins (by wisely choosing an exchange or using a "laundry" and make sure the IPs that can be gleamed by someone watching the rendevouz channels can't be traced to you and your transactions, etc.

Meanwhile, "Pecunix will not bother to honor the screams of Belorussian KGB" is a one step trick that never failed me Wink

Feed the Lolcust!
boonies4u

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 18, 2011, 03:44:32 PM

Well, we all know that the devil is in the details. You gotta   hide the history of those coins (by wisely choosing an exchange or using a "laundry" and make sure the IPs that can be gleamed by someone watching the rendevouz channels can't be traced to you and your transactions, etc.

Meanwhile, "Pecunix will not bother to honor the screams of Belorussian KGB" is a one step trick that never failed me Wink

Freshly mined BTC are also an option.  As long as any "dirty" activity/wallet isn't related to one's "clean" identity/wallet and as long as said "dirty" activity/wallet isn't connected to the party's identifiers (IP Address, non-anon email, etc.), it could be pulled off quite easily. The only really dangerous stuff is moving BTC between a clean and dirty wallet, which can be solved with Laundry sites, or perhaps some loaning scheme.
Lolcust

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
August 18, 2011, 07:26:54 PM

Freshly mined BTC are also an option.  As long as any "dirty" activity/wallet isn't related to one's "clean" identity/wallet and as long as said "dirty" activity/wallet isn't connected to the party's identifiers (IP Address, non-anon email, etc.), it could be pulled off quite easily. The only really dangerous stuff is moving BTC between a clean and dirty wallet, which can be solved with Laundry sites, or perhaps some loaning scheme.

Hmmmmmmm.... loaning... laundry.... hmmmm.... Okay, you have given me an idea. If it doesn't explode miserably in my face, expect being credited Smiley

Feed the Lolcust!
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: