Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 05:21:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Raspberry Pi $25 PC - Could we run GPUs/FPGAs on this?  (Read 14941 times)
CubedRoot

Activity: 291
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 27, 2011, 07:08:50 PM

No pre-orders have been taken because the organisation said it did not want to take anyone's cash without having something to hand over in return.
That part reminded me of ButterflyLabs
Come on now, lets not turn this thread into the pile of shit that was the BFL threads with all the trolls in it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2011, 08:51:44 PM

No pre-orders have been taken because the organisation said it did not want to take anyone's cash without having something to hand over in return.
That part reminded me of ButterflyLabs
Come on now, lets not turn this thread into the pile of shit that was the BFL threads with all the trolls in it.
No chances it is to happen

PS: What I quoted is the opposite of what BFL did.
norulezapply (OP)

Activity: 481
Merit: 502

View Profile
December 27, 2011, 10:36:56 PM

The Raspberry Pi is far from what BFL are proposing to produce.

Anyway, BFL are taking preorders at the moment with nothing to show for it.
CubedRoot

Activity: 291

View Profile
December 27, 2011, 10:57:39 PM

Let's keep it on topic. There are to many trolls around for this thread to get off topic.
I think the raspberry pi are supposed to ship in January's.
defxor

Activity: 530
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 28, 2011, 01:26:13 AM

I just made a comment on "that other thread" about people willing to pay out of pocket for being part of running Bitcoin with no interest in the actual mining profits from it. I was thinking of the Raspberry Pi connected to one FPGA-miner and using Wifi to communicate with a pool. Preferably wall socket mounted even.

Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2011, 01:45:07 AM

Wow, this a great moment for innovation, This thing will turn into so many new and custom product,

Arduino on steroid...

Same at eetimes comments may be more relevant .
http://www.eetimes.com/electronics-news/4229945/A-slice-of-Pi---the--25-computer-on-show
700MHz ARM11, the board has 128MB or 256MB of SDRAM, OpenGL ES 2.0, 1080p30 H.264 high-profile decode and composite and HDMI video output

www.raspberrypi.org for lots and lots of information
rph

Activity: 176
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 28, 2011, 07:35:33 AM

This looks cool, but when you can buy an Atom mini ITX motherboard for $25 more.. and need an ATX supply to run the FPGAs anyway..

-rph

Ultra-Low-Cost DIY FPGA Miner: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=44891
naypalm
Legendary

Activity: 1272
Merit: 1012

howdy

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2011, 08:26:09 AM

Now on my "To buy" list for next year.

norulezapply (OP)

View Profile
December 28, 2011, 02:55:11 PM

This looks cool, but when you can buy an Atom mini ITX motherboard for $25 more.. and need an ATX supply to run the FPGAs anyway..

-rph

"$25 more" is double the price.
So that's actually a lot more.

As for the ATX I'm sure plenty of people have lots of cheap PSUs laying around. I know I for one would be glad to sell all my spare PSUs off for $5 or less if it means I'm rid of the things.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
December 28, 2011, 03:02:42 PM

-rph

As for the ATX I'm sure plenty of people have lots of cheap PSUs laying around. I know I for one would be glad to sell all my spare PSUs off for $5 or less if it means I'm rid of the things.

The point is that cheap ATX power supply could power the FPGA AND motherboard.

While $25 is 70% more (The model B w/ ethernet is $35) the increase is trivial compared to the cost of FPGA.

Say $1/MH (likely higher).  1GH FPGA array is $1000.  5GH is $5000.  $25 "more" isn't much more when it means you gain access to the larger and better developed (at least for Bitcoin) x86 architecture.

Take a 5GH array.
$5000 FPGA
$100 PSU
$100 cables, usb hubs, various parts, possibly an enclosure
-----
$5200 + $35 Pi = $5235
$5200 + $60 mATX atom/VIA/sempron board + $10 RAM = $5270

The Pi system is 0.7% cheaper but requires all development to be on the ARM architecture.  Personally I would pay the $35 premium to gain x86 compatibility.  To each his own though.

Still the Pi is interesting.
BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2011, 03:18:19 PM

What interests me is the easy access to the GPIO pins for high speed interfacing to FPGAs. I'm not sure you have that on an Atom. I have an Atom here but I think the only thing like that is the parallel port and generally they aren't that fast. So for the Atom you likely need to also use a USB based micro controller to talk to FPGAs (as most of the the boards so far do).

At least that's my take on it. I wouldn't bother with the Raspberry if I were just going to use it's USB port to talk to FPGAs.

norulezapply (OP)

View Profile
December 28, 2011, 03:25:16 PM

-rph

While $25 is 70% more (The model B w/ ethernet is $35) the increase is trivial compared to the cost of FPGA.

Say $1/MH (likely higher).  1GH FPGA array is $1000.  5GH is $5000.  $25 "more" isn't much more when it means you gain access to the larger and better developed (at least for Bitcoin) x86 architecture.

Take a 5GH array.
$5000 FPGA
$100 PSU
-----
$5200 + $35 Pi = $5235

The Pi system is 0.7% cheaper but requires all development to be on the ARM architecture.  Personally I would pay the $35 premium to gain x86 compatibility.  To each his own though.

That's true. If you want x86 then that's the way to go for sure.

But also what's the wattage like running a mATX board? The wattage for the Pi is 1 watt.

It might not be a huge difference but it's an achievement nonetheless
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
December 28, 2011, 03:36:47 PM

-rph

Take a 5GH array.
$5000 FPGA
$100 PSU
-----
$5200 + $35 Pi = $5235

That's true. If you want x86 then that's the way to go for sure.

But also what's the wattage like running a mATX board? The wattage for the Pi is 1 watt.

It might not be a huge difference but it's an achievement nonetheless

Power consumption for ULV x86 chips (sempron, atom, VIA) is much higher.  Maybe 20W to 40W depending on specific CPU, load, chipset, motherboard design, etc.

norulezapply (OP)

View Profile
December 28, 2011, 03:40:03 PM

Ah well that'd definitely be enough for me to prefer a Raspberry Pi. That's just personal preference of course, but I think it's a really impressive bit of kit.
Jay_Pal
Legendary

Activity: 1493
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 01:10:14 PM

And they started manufacturing the first 10k batch!

Best faucet EVER! - Freebitco.in
Don't Panic... - 1G8zjUzeZBfJpeCbz1MLTc6zQHbLm78vKc
Why not mine from the browser?
Bossland

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 03:27:59 PM

They use the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VideoCore

BCM2835  video chip

anyone knows how much minihash it does ? Smiley
mimarob

Activity: 354
Merit: 103

View Profile
February 05, 2012, 10:59:00 AM

If you're getting impatient maybe try the Carambola?

No video but wifi :-)

http://www.8devices.com/wiki_carambola/doku.php
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Merit: 1015

View Profile
February 05, 2012, 12:09:10 PM

-rph

That's a curious fallacy humans apply to cost-analysis. 2x more does not equate to "a lot more," but people do this all the time when considering which item to buy. For a very telling example of why that line of thinking is so wrong, consider buying a pair of earphones vs. a car -- assume you check prices at two different stores which aren't far apart (and they both carry cars and earphones):

First, you go to Store A. They sell XYZ earphones @ $12, YXZ cars @ $12,000.
Store B sells XYZ earphones @ $5, YXZ cars @ $12,100.

The majority of people will likely buy both the car and the earphones @ Store B because in their minds, they think "$100 isn't very much in the context of a $12,000 purchase," so they aren't willing to drive all the way back for such relatively meager savings. These same people, were they just buying earphones, and went to Store B first, would likely go back to Store A to buy the earphones, because in their mind "$7 is a lot in the context of a $12 purchase." But, your finances don't really give a damn where your money comes or go. There is no "context" -- it's just numbers. This odd way most humans calculate whether or not to purchase something is why salesmen are so successful at selling people garbage add-ons & warranties. The cost of them is a small amount in the context of the whole purchase, but stores know better, and can see huge profit boosts by selling people on the small stuff. (P.S. $50 in the context of a $6,000 FPGA farm purchase is a drop in the bucket Tongue )

ETA: derp. I will read threads all the way through before posting so I don't give redundant information. I will read threads all the way through before posting so I don't give redundant information. I will read threads all the way through before posting so I don't give redundant information.

... So.... on-topic. This could be very exciting with a video adapter. It probably would be quite cheap to have these PCs shipped here, give it a unique aesthetic (I'm thinking a Hot Pockets box), then rebrand it as the Ghetto PC. Surf the web, watch videos, play basic (and I mean BASIC Wink ) games, edit documents, read your email -- perfect for poorer & older people.
norulezapply (OP)

View Profile
February 05, 2012, 01:29:25 PM

-rph

That's a curious fallacy humans apply to cost-analysis. 2x more does not equate to "a lot more," but people do this all the time when considering which item to buy. For a very telling example of why that line of thinking is so wrong, consider buying a pair of earphones vs. a car -- assume you check prices at two different stores which aren't far apart (and they both carry cars and earphones):

First, you go to Store A. They sell XYZ earphones @ $12, YXZ cars @ $12,000.
Store B sells XYZ earphones @ $5, YXZ cars @ $12,100.

The majority of people will likely buy both the car and the earphones @ Store B because in their minds, they think "$100 isn't very much in the context of a $12,000 purchase," so they aren't willing to drive all the way back for such relatively meager savings. These same people, were they just buying earphones, and went to Store B first, would likely go back to Store A to buy the earphones, because in their mind "$7 is a lot in the context of a $12 purchase." But, your finances don't really give a damn where your money comes or go. There is no "context" -- it's just numbers. This odd way most humans calculate whether or not to purchase something is why salesmen are so successful at selling people garbage add-ons & warranties. The cost of them is a small amount in the context of the whole purchase, but stores know better, and can see huge profit boosts by selling people on the small stuff. (P.S. $50 in the context of a $6,000 FPGA farm purchase is a drop in the bucket Tongue )

ETA: derp. I will read threads all the way through before posting so I don't give redundant information. I will read threads all the way through before posting so I don't give redundant information. I will read threads all the way through before posting so I don't give redundant information.

... So.... on-topic. This could be very exciting with a video adapter. It probably would be quite cheap to have these PCs shipped here, give it a unique aesthetic (I'm thinking a Hot Pockets box), then rebrand it as the Ghetto PC. Surf the web, watch videos, play basic (and I mean BASIC Wink ) games, edit documents, read your email -- perfect for poorer & older people.

This is true, but I meant relative to the original price, for someone with a low budget.

And yeah I believe they'll be really good at getting more people involved with technology.
Sp0tter

Activity: 285

View Profile
February 23, 2012, 10:56:36 PM

The majority of people will likely buy both the car and the earphones @ Store B because in their minds, they think "$100 isn't very much in the context of a $12,000 purchase," so they aren't willing to drive all the way back for such relatively meager savings.

I completely disagree.  Most people would use the total cost of their purchase to decide where to buy, not some relative proportion.  You fell victim to the "everyone but me is stupid" disease.  It runs rampant on the internet.  Humans making rational decisions is part of the foundation of economics...

http://allchains.info - First to provide difficulty estimates for forks.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: