Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 04:55:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin security scenario  (Read 518 times)
poyke (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 09:54:52 AM

When trading bitcoin for cash or food most people dont wait for confirmations.
When I do that I want for the btc to appear at my unconfirmed balance, shake hands and leave.
What would it take for a scammer to send fake funds that will appear at unconfirmed but will never confirm?

softron

Activity: 210

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 12:38:13 PM

U should really wait for 1 confirmation.

railzand

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

Lux e tenebris

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 01:12:01 PM

It's worth re-reading this famous thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=423.0

Rannasha

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 01:56:17 PM

When I do that I want for the btc to appear at my unconfirmed balance, shake hands and leave.
What would it take for a scammer to send fake funds that will appear at unconfirmed but will never confirm?

Provided the sender added a sufficient fee, it is very difficult to successfully double-spend the payment in such a way that the merchant loses the funds. It is just not worth the effort for small purchases like the ones made in stores. Simply receiving the payment and checking that the fee is correct is sufficient.

I recently wrote an article about this subject, why it is safe enough to accept transactions without any confirmations and what potential measures you could take to further reduce the risk. See http://bitcoin.rannasha.net/?p=34 for more on that.
poyke (OP)

Activity: 126

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 03:21:27 PM

Provided the sender added a sufficient fee, it is very difficult to successfully double-spend the payment in such a way that the merchant loses the funds. It is just not worth the effort for small purchases like the ones made in stores. Simply receiving the payment and checking that the fee is correct is sufficient.

I recently wrote an article about this subject, why it is safe enough to accept transactions without any confirmations and what potential measures you could take to further reduce the risk. See http://bitcoin.rannasha.net/?p=34 for more on that.
The only way to send you "fake" money that would never confirm is to double spend all one's balance once to one's-self and again to the recepient before the next block is found?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: