Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 03:30:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Want legit 7970 testing/benchmarking and tuning for cgminer and Diablominer?  (Read 19741 times)
DiabloD3 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1000

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2011, 09:32:21 PM

You are wrong about that. There is a BFI intruction in the GCN architecture - v_bfi_b32. Strange though, there is no "s_" equivalent on the scalar unit. But it is there. I have occasionally seen that in my Tahiti kernels and you can also grep it from libaticaldd.so.

Now bitselect() does not map to v_bfi_b32 for sure, yet some patterns of the kind (a&b)|(~a&b) where part of the variables are constants do produce bfi code.

I cannot patch the binary of course because the architecture is different and the opcodes are different as well. Trying to patch the binary the same way I do for VLIW kernels does nothing. I guess until the 79xx ISA reference comes out, using bfi on GCN hardware would not be possible. Unless they finally map bitselect to bfi of course.

I'll have to keep that in mind, but I hope they fix the driver and/or the SDK to emit BFI for bitselect(). It would make a lot of people's lives easier, and speed up existing unoptimized code.

http://forums.amd.com/devforum/messageview.cfm?catid=390&threadid=143488&highlight_key=y

That URL implies BFI will be output for bitselect() on SDK 2.6. I wonder what happened

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
gat3way

Activity: 256
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 28, 2011, 09:44:59 PM

Yay, we are all waiting for more than a year Smiley I constantly have problems with BFI patching on my kernels and besides that, there are some rare cases that amd_bytealign would do a good job for me but it's clobbered in a way due to that patching, grr!

But truth is it did not appear in SDK 2.6. I am not acquainted with AMD's OpenCL on Windows, but with linux since recently they started shipping the opencl library as part of the Catalyst suite rather than part of the SDK package. That means with each new driver you get new surprises, hopefully pleasant ones Smiley

However both 11.11 and 11.12 do not map bitselect to BFI_INT. Neither does the "preview" OpenCL 1.2 driver you can download from their site. It's annoying to say at least Sad

-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2011, 02:30:42 AM
Last edit: December 30, 2011, 04:56:22 AM by ckolivas

<Krusty the clown voice>I heartily endorse this event or product.</>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsiuxim8vsM

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
DiabloD3 (OP)
Legendary

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2011, 02:51:07 AM

Donation current count: 7.01002 out of 150

Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
December 29, 2011, 03:49:00 AM

<Krusty the clown voice>I heartily endorse this event or product.</>
+1

I do aswell, Really do, But it is indeed with the Krusty The Clown style

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
ensign_lee

Activity: 886
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 29, 2011, 01:37:08 PM

Don't understand why everyone is shitting on Diablo.

He. Created. A. Freaking. Miner. That is not a small achievement.

The fact the he was nice enough to release it for free the first time is AMAZING. There is every incentive in the world to keep it to himself, as once the code got into the wild, everyone else started mining on GPUs. He could have kept it to himself and had his single GPU mine at incredible speeds compared to everyone else's CPU.

And everyone shitting on him now should know that when he does "get a job" and buy one for himself, he'll probably sit on the code personally if it ends up being a great improvement in hash rate. And you will be the reason.

It honestly astonishes me that he only received about $30 in bitcoins for developing the diablominer. Hell, I personally sent like $20 worth of btc to the guiminer developer. People are ungrateful.

██▄                ██        ▄███████▄        ██                  ██      ▄█████████▄ 
 ████              ██      █                  █      ██                  ██      ██                ██
 ██  ▀█            ██    ▄█                  █▄    ██                  ██    ██                  ██
 ██    █▄          ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██    ▀█                     
 ██      █▄        ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██      ██                   
 ██        █▄      ██                                  ██                  ██       ▀████████▄   
 ██          █▄    ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                        ██ 
 ██            █▄  ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                          ██
 ██              █▄██    ██                  ██    ▀█                  █▀    ▄▄                  █▀
 ██                ███      █                  █        █                  █      ██                ██ 
 ██                  ▀█        ▀███████▀            ▀███████▀         ▀█████████▀   

Nousplatform Youtube     
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
December 29, 2011, 01:58:24 PM

It honestly astonishes me that he only received about $30 in bitcoins for developing the diablominer. Hell, I personally sent like $20 worth of btc to the guiminer developer. People are ungrateful.

No people need an incentive.  Many in the OpenSource community fail to understand that.  Bounties are effective tool.  Giving something away for free and expecting retroactive compensation is not.

The bounty project I (and others) started to add RPC support to cgminer paid out over 125 Bitcoins for a relatively (compared to say a complete miner) simple addition. 

Maybe Diablo should look at it as a business proposal rather than charity. 

1) Raise funds to purchase 7970.
2) Calculate time value of coding optimizations for 7970
3) Start a bounty funds to collect funds in exchange for optimized 7970 code.
4) When bounty is paid distribute funds to himself and those who fronted the capital.
5) Release code
DiabloD3 (OP)
Legendary

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2011, 10:26:31 PM

No people need an incentive.  Many in the OpenSource community fail to understand that.  Bounties are effective tool.  Giving something away for free and expecting retroactive compensation is not.

The bounty project I (and others) started to add RPC support to cgminer paid out over 125 Bitcoins for a relatively (compared to say a complete miner) simple addition. 

4) When bounty is paid distribute funds to himself and those who fronted the capital.
5) Release code

Bounties are not, and never have been, a viable way of FOSS donations. People constantly renege on bounty promises, and often had no intention of paying up to begin with. And I don't know about you, but I don't have $500 in cash laying around. I doubt most people do.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
December 29, 2011, 10:28:29 PM

No people need an incentive.  Many in the OpenSource community fail to understand that.  Bounties are effective tool.  Giving something away for free and expecting retroactive compensation is not.

5) Release code

Bounties are not, and never have been, a viable way of FOSS donations. People constantly renege on bounty promises, and often had no intention of paying up to begin with. And I don't know about you, but I don't have $500 in cash laying around. I doubt most people do.

Is it worse than doing work for free, then begging for donations after the fact and getting bitter than you earned less than minimum wage?

OTC ratings can be used for bounty promises. 
OTC can be used for bounty promises.  Still payout rate for the RPC project was over 87% just based on promise to pay.

but I don't have $500 in cash laying around. I doubt most people do.
You are asking for donations why not ask for investors? (i.e. step #1 in the quote you quoted).
DiabloD3 (OP)
Legendary

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2011, 10:35:52 PM

You are asking for donations why not ask for investors? (i.e. step #1 in the quote you quoted).

Because that makes no sense. I believe I personally have invested a lot of time and energy into Bitcoin, and people serve to make a lot of money if GCN turns out to be the next ultimate mining arch after 5xxx+SDK 2.1. There are people out there who make 150btc a day and use DiabloMiner, yet I have not heard a peep from them.

I don't get why I am getting so much resistance on this. People have requested optimized GCN support, and I obviously cannot provide this without having a GCN myself, nor can I afford one out of pocket. If people want this support, they will donate towards it. For them, this IS an investment.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
December 29, 2011, 10:43:17 PM

Because that makes no sense. I believe I personally have invested a lot of time and energy into Bitcoin, and people serve to make a lot of money if GCN turns out to be the next ultimate mining arch after 5xxx+SDK 2.1. There are people out there who make 150btc a day and use DiabloMiner, yet I have not heard a peep from them.

I don't get why I am getting so much resistance on this. People have requested optimized GCN support, and I obviously cannot provide this without having a GCN myself, nor can I afford one out of pocket. If people want this support, they will donate towards it. For them, this IS an investment.

Well you obviously got this figured out which is why you were well compensated for your prior work and almost at your donation goal.  I will stop talking about things which don't make sense.  Smiley
mc_lovin
Legendary

Activity: 1190

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2011, 11:33:21 PM

The people are outraged that someone would want a free 7970, but early testing and tuning the Diablominer to it would earn the community a ton of bitcoin in the future if he could make a 7xxx purr like a 5xxx.  I think it's unlikely but he's right, y'know.  Pay the man, he'll pay you later when you buy twenty 7970s from the store for yourself (you greedy little bastards).
ArtForz

Activity: 406
Merit: 257

View Profile
December 30, 2011, 03:44:10 AM

I don't get what the huge outrage is about.
Author of FOSS miner offers to work on improved 7970 kernel if he gets enough donations towards buying a 7970.
That's pretty much the same way you get your personal pet hardware supported by FOSS firmware. Guess next you'll be boycotting dd-wrt and the likes.

bitcoin: 1Fb77Xq5ePFER8GtKRn2KDbDTVpJKfKmpz
i0coin: jNdvyvd6v6gV3kVJLD7HsB5ZwHyHwAkfdw
NASDAQEnema

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 30, 2011, 03:57:27 AM

Since I'm out of n00b jail, I'll make my first free man post since my return to this place.
I cannot believe the attitude here.

It's absolutely disturbing.

There's going to be god damn flying 12 monkeys up in the streets in 12 months with food riots and you people are bitching about helping out someone whose work benefits everybody?
Don't give me that investor bullshit. Lead a path to his door? Where do you see these magic droves of customers coming from? If you haven't been paying attention 9/11, the bank failouts, the Breivik shit, and the prospect of either a war banger or a nasty war banger as president, these tragedies of the past, present, and future have sucked the optimism out of most people. We are all mostly burnt out and could use a little spontaneous vitality.

Holy fucking shit.

Just for that I'm donating the .00017760 someone sent me once to DiabloD3. Sorry man, I hardly have any, but I thought I'd pay you the same compliment someone once paid me under my previous account (I no longer have access to that email) a long time ago.

Also, for anyone here still fantasizing about the economy and telling people to get jobs: Are you hiring? If not stop projecting your forced optimism from your own insecurity on someone else.

Also, cocks.

If you feel Universe has trolled you exclusively, please donate to Emergency Butthurt Support Fund:
1Jv4wa1w4Le4Ku9MZRxcobnDFzAUF9aotH
Proceeds go to Emergency Butthurt Escape Pod none of you will be allowed to use. If you have read this far, you must pay Emergency Butthurt Internet Tax.
ineededausername

Activity: 784

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
December 30, 2011, 04:20:27 AM

Since I'm out of n00b jail, I'll make my first free man post since my return to this place.

There's going to be god damn flying 12 monkeys up in the streets in 12 months with food riots and you people are bitching about helping out someone whose work benefits everybody?
Don't give me that investor bullshit. Lead a path to his door? Where do you see these magic droves of customers coming from? If you haven't been paying attention 9/11, the bank failouts, the Breivik shit, and the prospect of either a war banger or a nasty war banger as president, these tragedies of the past, present, and future have sucked the optimism out of most people. We are all mostly burnt out and could use a little spontaneous vitality.

Holy fucking shit.

Just for that I'm donating the .00017760 someone sent me once to DiabloD3. Sorry man, I hardly have any, but I thought I'd pay you the same compliment someone once paid me under my previous account (I no longer have access to that email) a long time ago.

Also, for anyone here still fantasizing about the economy and telling people to get jobs: Are you hiring? If not stop projecting your forced optimism from your own insecurity on someone else.

Also, cocks.

Welcome to the internet, enjoy your stay.

(BFL)^2 < 0
NASDAQEnema

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 30, 2011, 04:28:13 AM

Welcome to the internet, enjoy your stay.

LOL. Yeah. Thanks.

If you feel Universe has trolled you exclusively, please donate to Emergency Butthurt Support Fund:
1Jv4wa1w4Le4Ku9MZRxcobnDFzAUF9aotH
Proceeds go to Emergency Butthurt Escape Pod none of you will be allowed to use. If you have read this far, you must pay Emergency Butthurt Internet Tax.
terrytibbs

Activity: 560
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 30, 2011, 05:32:39 AM

I don't get what the huge outrage is about.
Author of FOSS miner offers to work on improved 7970 kernel if he gets enough donations towards buying a 7970.
That's pretty much the same way you get your personal pet hardware supported by FOSS firmware. Guess next you'll be boycotting dd-wrt and the likes.
You buy me a Ferrari, I'll work some on making a miner for the car radio, that's for sure!

15M1Qb128LtaaGG2YLV8zpjb3BwsuNi6S7
sveetsnelda

Activity: 642
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 30, 2011, 10:22:21 AM

You buy me a Ferrari, I'll work some on making a miner for the car radio, that's for sure!

Because that comparison was definitely apples to apples.

14u2rp4AqFtN5jkwK944nn741FnfF714m7
DiabloD3 (OP)
Legendary

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2011, 10:31:05 AM

Holy fucking shit.

Also, cocks.

Thanks a lot. Its the thought that matters.

Total is now: 7.0101976

DiabloD3 (OP)
Legendary

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2011, 11:13:44 AM

Total is now: 8.0101976

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: