Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 08:55:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rich data with transactions  (Read 445 times)
szorzi (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 10:05:14 AM

Hi,
this might be an easy question - i tried to search but couldn't find it, so apologise if it is a repetition of other posts.

We are working on b2b payment applications and have started seriously considering bitcoin powered transactions as a solution to offer our clients. It is my understanding that bitcoin supports sending additional data together with a transaction (e.g. date, item number, invoice number, shipping address etc.) a feature that would be highly attractive for b2b and would facilitate reconciliations and other typical business needs.

Is this correctly understood? and if so, how does it actually work?

thank you for your help

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 10:39:21 AM

As far as I know, the amount of data you can put is very small.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
DubFX

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 10:44:02 AM

As far as I know, the amount of data you can put is very small.
I agree, it's not long enought for, for example excrypted messages and so on.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 12:50:15 PM

Hi,
this might be an easy question - i tried to search but couldn't find it, so apologise if it is a repetition of other posts.

We are working on b2b payment applications and have started seriously considering bitcoin powered transactions as a solution to offer our clients. It is my understanding that bitcoin supports sending additional data together with a transaction (e.g. date, item number, invoice number, shipping address etc.) a feature that would be highly attractive for b2b and would facilitate reconciliations and other typical business needs.

Is this correctly understood? and if so, how does it actually work?

thank you for your help

The better way to handle it is for the payment receiver to generate a brand new bitcoin address for each and every transaction.  When they give the bitcoin address to the payer, they can take note in a database of the date, item number, invoice number, shipping address etc.  Since every bitcoin address will be unique, they can then identify exactly what the payment is for by looking to see which address gets paid.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: