Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 08:19:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: HELP I GOT ROBBED!  (Read 3639 times)
DarkComet

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 05:48:44 PM

Damn! 15 BTC!
cooltoadfrommoon
Copper Member

Activity: 242
Merit: 12

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 06:37:12 PM

I really feel like I want to puke and I'm shaking all over my body and can barely type.

I was just checking my wallet on blockchain and noticed that all my bitcoins were transfered to another account!

From the Details it happened yesterday.

I had made a brainwallet which i tought noone could have guessed and never put my private-key somewhere.

Please is there anything I can do or at least to make me feel better?
I just don't have a clue what to doaöäshefp9heWHFPAWHEFE

How can this really have happened??
yntro

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 08:16:14 PM

well what happened happened... You will get over it ... Smiley move on.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Kiki112

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 09:05:36 PM

well what happened happened... You will get over it ... Smiley move on.

easy for you to say, you didn't lose all your bitcoins Cheesy

BitCoinDream
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 09:24:04 PM

I really feel like I want to puke and I'm shaking all over my body and can barely type.

I was just checking my wallet on blockchain and noticed that all my bitcoins were transfered to another account!

I had made a brainwallet which i tought noone could have guessed and never put my private-key somewhere.

As the acceptance increases, entropy will decrease and we will see more such cases.

pinksheep

Activity: 196

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 11:37:45 PM

why will entropy decrease?

PRIMEDICE
lynn_402

Activity: 462
Merit: 253

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 11:39:58 PM

There will be more and more brain wallets, so the chances will be higher that someone will stumble upon the same sentence.
jodybay

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

if you want something do something!!!

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2014, 06:02:25 AM

i thought i'd seen 25 BTC
and even its 15 its a big damn loss Sad just hope that the thef will hit by karma this month
have you tried to search the address in this forum?

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience - PRIMEDICE 3 COMING 9TH AUGUST @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
howzar

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 07:20:38 AM

There will be more and more brain wallets, so the chances will be higher that someone will stumble upon the same sentence.

Hence why you either dont use them OR use extremely long sentences which you wont remember so its not a brainwallet anymore.
Acidyo

Activity: 588

Will Bitcoin Rise Again to $60,000?

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 10:12:51 AM

Sorry to hear man, brain wallets are not a good idea if you are going to use an easy password.
act now

Activity: 166
Merit: 15

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 10:16:50 AM

Sorry to hear man, brain wallets are not a good idea if you are going to use an easy password.
Yup. Not a good idea at all. You're going through so much trouble creating it and in the end you're using easy password - how messed up is this.  Wink
Cryptogirl82

Activity: 140

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 12:06:13 PM

PRIMEDICE
chriswilmer
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2014, 11:30:49 PM

I had made a brainwallet which i thought noone could have guessed and never put my private-key somewhere.

Sorry, there is nothing you can do.

The mistake you made was thinking that nobody would or could guess your password. No brain wallet is safe. There are 6 billion people in the world. What are the chances of one of them using the same password? What are the chances your password being guessed by any of the thousands of computers that are making millions of guesses every second? Both of those possibilities are very high. Any password that can be memorized can be guessed easily or accidentally.

OK, I realize that caution has to be used with brainwallets, but what you say is overstating the case. The 12 word mnemonics that have 128 bits of entropy generated by Electrum and others can be memorized, and so can be used as brainwallets. They can't be feasibly brute forced or guessed. 
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3239

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 11:57:12 PM

I had made a brainwallet which i thought noone could have guessed and never put my private-key somewhere.
The mistake you made was thinking that nobody would or could guess your password. No brain wallet is safe. There are 6 billion people in the world. What are the chances of one of them using the same password? What are the chances your password being guessed by any of the thousands of computers that are making millions of guesses every second? Both of those possibilities are very high. Any password that can be memorized can be guessed easily or accidentally.

... The 12 word mnemonics that have 128 bits of entropy generated by Electrum and others can be memorized, and so can be used as brainwallets...

There are people that would have no problems memorizing 12 random words. Heck, there are a few people in the world that can memorize thousands of digits of pi.

But, don't expect most people to be able to do that.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
chriswilmer
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2014, 12:13:54 AM

... The 12 word mnemonics that have 128 bits of entropy generated by Electrum and others can be memorized, and so can be used as brainwallets...

There are people that would have no problems memorizing 12 random words. Heck, there are a few people in the world that can memorize thousands of digits of pi.

But, don't expect most people to be able to do that.

OK fine, but I just want to point out that you kind of stress me out a little when you say "any brainwallet you can memorize can be cracked" because it makes me doubt my understanding of cryptography (because it implies that the 12 word randomly generated mnemonics in wide use are not strong enough).
cp1

Activity: 616

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 12:25:34 AM

OK fine, but I just want to point out that you kind of stress me out a little when you say "any brainwallet you can memorize can be cracked" because it makes me doubt my understanding of cryptography (because it implies that the 12 word randomly generated mnemonics in wide use are not strong enough).

Well it's obviously false that any brainwallet you can memorize can be cracked, because theoretically one could memorize a private key.  But you're not going to be remembering that in 6 months.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 4656

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 01:17:48 AM

- snip -
theoretically one could memorize a private key.  But you're not going to be remembering that
- snip -

You and I have a very different idea of what the word "memorize" means.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 4656

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 01:22:21 AM

Those 12 words are generally meant to be written down.

There are very few people in the world who can memorize a completely random set of 12 unrelated words and recall them all in exact order a decade or two later if they haven't used the set for anything in the meantime.

If you are capable of that, then you can use a passphrase generator that generates properly random sets of enough words, and then memorize it if you like.

The vast majority of people who are trying to create brainwallets, are trying to come up with something out of their own head that they have enough of a connection to that they believe that they will remember it after a significant amount of time has passed.  This is a VERY BAD idea.
chriswilmer
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2014, 02:06:57 AM

Those 12 words are generally meant to be written down.

There are very few people in the world who can memorize a completely random set of 12 unrelated words and recall them all in exact order a decade or two later if they haven't used the set for anything in the meantime.

If you are capable of that, then you can use a passphrase generator that generates properly random sets of enough words, and then memorize it if you like.

The vast majority of people who are trying to create brainwallets, are trying to come up with something out of their own head that they have enough of a connection to that they believe that they will remember it after a significant amount of time has passed.  This is a VERY BAD idea.

*sigh* I'm not disputing that it's a bad idea. I just think it's possible to say "brainwallets are a bad idea for reasons X, Y, and Z, and here are examples of passphrases that would get cracked immediately and others that are considered safe (i.e., 12 randomly generated words following the electrum method)." I think most people have at least some intuition about what they are capable of memorizing, but very poor intuition for what makes a good, unfeasible to guess, private key.
zolace

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 06:37:04 PM

It wont matter if he you can trace it, it can be mixed in easliy and not be traced also by trading it with litecoins, then he can sell lite coiins for cash

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: