Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 05:04:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 2012 according to the Mayan calendar  (Read 5335 times)
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 09:26:19 PM
Last edit: January 06, 2012, 09:42:39 PM by the joint

That's exactly what I was getting at. That's why it's nothing like Astronomy, which is the scientific collection of data about the universe.  Astrology is just an interpretation of that data, based largely on the church.  That's the reason for my mentioning religion earlier, they are very much alike. Of course that basically makes this into an internet religious debate which is one of the worst things ever to do.
http://www.esoteric.msu.edu/VolumeIV/astrology.htm

If astrology is a tightrope walk between religion and scientific astronomy, then we already have a first definition. First of all: insofar as it views cosmos, humans, and nature as being reigned over and guided by powers and forces from beyond, astrology is religion. All the events in the cosmos and on earth are linked together by an invisible magic bond. Only on the basis of this mysterious magical connection can astrology assume that the stars have something to do with the course of our lives, with our talents and weaknesses.

In this regard, astrology is related to the nature religions. These also assume that nature is inhabited and governed by magical powers, demons, and gods. Like the nature religions, astrology believes in a multitude of gods; it is polytheistic at its core. Each planet and sign of the zodiac is the expression of a particular god or demon. But astrology is also sometimes accepted by religions which know only one creator-god, like Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. Then the many star-gods become angels and demons which are subordinated to the one God and, as such, understood as "instruments" of God.

I think what you said is irrelevant.  It's a matter of what level of interpretation of information, not a matter of interpretation vs. no interpretation.  The mere fact that you recognize something as "data" and identify isolated data points as x, y, or z (e.g. by giving them names and/or definitions, categorizing them, etc.) implies that you are already interpreting it as stratified.  Recognizing form in the Universe is just at a different level of interpreting information.

And when did I say Astrology is like Astronomy?  I disagree with your definition of Astronomy, by the way.

Edit:  An analogy is an example of another level of interpretation.

Edit 2:  I'm also wondering how you rationalized talking about religion in on online forum is the worst thing ever.  Keep in mind you are suggesting that astrology, which is related to the thread subject, is also related to religion.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 09:30:18 PM

Yes, the end is nigh. The movie is true, and the world as you know it will come to an end in December 2012.

Things you can do now to make the transition:

- Encourage your MPs, Senators and Representatives to put money into Research and the Sciences. We need spaceships and arks urgently.
- Join a religious organisation (if you're not already, if you are, be sure to attend weekly) to prepare your soul for the challenges ahead.
- Be kind to as many people as you can, for in troubling times, the effort you make now to improve the lives of others may save your life then.
- Get to know your community and neighbourhood, as they will go through the same challenges as you.
- Share your knowledge freely and to the world, so that others too may be better prepared. It will be lonely without fellow survivors.
- Remain Calm.

I have to note here, that these recommendations are valid regardless of the accuracy of the predictive power of a single, pre-iron age society.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2012, 09:56:57 PM
Last edit: January 06, 2012, 10:42:58 PM by BadBear

Anyway, here's what NASA has to say about 2012

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/2012.html

"There apparently is a great deal of interest in celestial bodies, and their locations and trajectories at the end of the calendar year 2012. Now, I for one love a good book or movie as much as the next guy. But the stuff flying around through cyberspace, TV and the movies is not based on science. There is even a fake NASA news release out there..."
- Don Yeomans, NASA senior research scientist

Edit:
Edit 2:  I'm also wondering how you rationalized talking about religion in on online forum is the worst thing ever.
Cause my horoscope said so  Wink

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
tinman951

Activity: 149
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 10:36:55 PM

Anyway, here's what NASA has to say about 2012

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/2012.html

That was actually really informative.  I had never heard of the planet Nibiru tale but it proposed May 2003.

Free micro bitcoins: http://www.bitvisitor.com/?ref=1DFw1VncjVhqdg6GWoQ6Qtc5ncR5RHXxfP
Donate BTC: 18b94MMTWd7bWaUWcq7VHmizgswP2dK6fM
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2012, 11:14:34 PM

That was actually really informative.  I had never heard of the planet Nibiru tale but it proposed May 2003.

There's also the Nemesis theory (never confirmed, just a theory)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemesis_%28hypothetical_star%29

Nemesis is a hypothetical hard-to-detect red dwarf star,[1] white dwarf star[2][dubious – discuss] or brown dwarf,[3] originally postulated in 1984 to be orbiting the Sun at a distance of about 95,000 AU (1.5 light-years),[3] somewhat beyond the Oort cloud, to explain a perceived cycle of mass extinctions in the geological record, which seem to occur more often at intervals of 26 million years.[4][3] As of 2011, over 1300 brown dwarfs have been identified and none of them are inside the Solar System.[5]

There's also Sedna, which is a real confirmed (dwarf) planet with an unusually large eccentric orbit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/90377_Sedna

Barring comets and a handful of small Solar System bodies,[f] Sedna has the longest orbital period of any known object in the Solar System, calculated at around 11,400 years.

Crazy shit out there. 

TheHeroMember (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2012, 02:06:19 AM

That was actually really informative.  I had never heard of the planet Nibiru tale but it proposed May 2003.

There's also the Nemesis theory (never confirmed, just a theory)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemesis_%28hypothetical_star%29

Nemesis is a hypothetical hard-to-detect red dwarf star,[1] white dwarf star[2][dubious – discuss] or brown dwarf,[3] originally postulated in 1984 to be orbiting the Sun at a distance of about 95,000 AU (1.5 light-years),[3] somewhat beyond the Oort cloud, to explain a perceived cycle of mass extinctions in the geological record, which seem to occur more often at intervals of 26 million years.[4][3] As of 2011, over 1300 brown dwarfs have been identified and none of them are inside the Solar System.[5]

There's also Sedna, which is a real confirmed (dwarf) planet with an unusually large eccentric orbit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/90377_Sedna

Barring comets and a handful of small Solar System bodies,[f] Sedna has the longest orbital period of any known object in the Solar System, calculated at around 11,400 years.

Crazy shit out there. 

The sun looks so cute, is it the sun by the way?

Hey Guys! WWW.FREEBITCOINS.ORG introduces "Epic December Contest" where you can Win Sweet Casascius Coins !!!
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2012, 02:16:01 AM

Those are the orbits of the outermost planets like Jupiter, Saturn, etc for scale. 

simon66

Activity: 423
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 09, 2012, 03:29:54 AM

I don't think nothing will happen.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2012, 07:29:29 AM

That's a double negative, which means you think something will happen?

MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 09, 2012, 03:08:03 PM

Of course something will happen.  Something happens everyday.  Most just isn't dramatic or newsworthy.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
The King

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 09, 2012, 07:23:42 PM

Of course something will happen.  Something happens everyday.  Most just isn't dramatic or newsworthy.

Well said !

This 2012 disaster thing is too blown out of proportion. I remember in May 2011 some idiots also claiming the world is going to end or on 11/11/11 etc.

Most likely nothing will happen even if we don't get that asteroid deflector going Smiley
chromeguy

Activity: 28

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2012, 07:40:58 PM

we can always just send kevin up to the 'roid to save us ^_^
stick_wood

Activity: 8

View Profile
January 09, 2012, 08:13:22 PM

we can always just send kevin up to the 'roid to save us ^_^

What do you mean ?

Who is Kevin ?
despoiler

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 10, 2012, 09:08:37 PM

http://www.seri-worldwide.org/id435.html
Pockets

Activity: 41

View Profile
January 10, 2012, 10:37:30 PM

Have watched the movie "2012" months ago. We're almost there. Could this really happen?
Why not setup a betting pool? Smiley

I'll bet everything I own that it doesn't happen.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 05:58:05 PM

Just to be clear. The Mayan calendar in no way predicts the end of the world. It is simply the end of the calendar round, something like the new millennium on the calendar we use today.
Even if it did, so what would that mean? Do any of you believe in quetziquatle, the snake-bird? Then why entertain other nonsense?

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: