Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 07:46:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is ANY coin even Attempting Mass Adoption, Seriously!!!!  (Read 5226 times)
nextgencoin
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 06:53:35 PM

Surely NXT or a clone of it will dominate. Once you have a coin that can be converted inside the wallet then people won't look outside it possibly ever again. I mean once you can trade anything in a system why bother with a new system?

Which ever NXT system gets mass usage will win I think. Then it wont be about which coin is best but which system is best. Kind of like saying which currency is best to pay for something from Amazon, in the end the major coins will equal out and stabilize or just die. You will have stable coins and a system most people are committed to.  Also gold and other commodities bought inside NXT will be an important part of the equation of personal wealth or 'money'. Fiat will also play a part until possibly it doesn't.....Once people use this system you won't need sellers to adopt a coin individually cause you will be able to pay in whatever they ask for including fiat.

In many ways NXT or a clone of it is not a simple coin but a new monetary system, which is way more interesting than Karpelcoins...

*Personally I hope Etherieum doesn't become this new monetary system as I don't trust who is involved, ie ex bankers. But my point is whatever wins this space will rule big time..
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
precrime3

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

PM for journalist,typing,and data entry services.

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2014, 06:54:36 PM

I think Noblecoin is, Dogecoin is kinda already there,  Bitcoin is on the edge of mass adoption, etc.... Most of them IMO just wanna coast of the success of BTC and profit from the developer. Mintcoin has plenty of Media Coverage, and so does ECCcoin. Litecoin, not so much IMO.

Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 06:55:27 PM

Obviously you can see I am new around here. I have heard about Dogecoin on CNN, Bitcoin is always in the news. What about all the other coins? I am sure all the coins want the general public to learn about them. Can anyone tell me a coin that is marketing itself to the general public in any meaningful way? One that has a real plan? I am really surprised I am asking this question!!! Shocked

Don't be surprised - I've also asked myself the same thing. To answer your question, unfortunately, no (aside from BTC, naturally).

With the staggering amount of brainpower here, it is sometimes surprising to see the lack of real focus on developing an effective marketing strategy (and no, a dice game and an explorer does not constitute a comprehensive strategy). There is a reason why sales and marketing personnel are among the highest paid in most organizations in any industry.

Nevertheless, there are probably a few coins that could conceivably make the push to prime time, but lack the impetus.
Furthermore, the centralization of executive power and share of the economic pie also discourage community-driven initiatives.

there is nothing to market and if they attract smart people out there they may find themselves in trouble exposed for scammy behavior for the coin their pushing.

advertising and marketing is garbage it's why i stopped turning on my TV years ago and yeah i have a huge TV and cable
and i turn it on prob for an hr or two two watch the news or something every month or two or 3.. then commercials sicken me beyond comprehension and i shut it off.
there is no web sites i see with ads either i use Adblock plus and adblock element hider to add custom rules on Chrome and Firefox to strip it all out !

also so called Marketing is all we ever get around here.. it's non stop hype.
it's abused to the point where we're fed up with it.. we're sick of having coins pounded on us non stop.. NEW ones.. one after another. that provide nothing new !

marketing isn't going to save squat.. a product WORTH marketing will.

FUD first & ask questions later™
poornamelessme

Activity: 1204
Merit: 509

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 07:13:30 PM

I think Noblecoin is, Dogecoin is kinda already there,  Bitcoin is on the edge of mass adoption, etc.... Most of them IMO just wanna coast of the success of BTC and profit from the developer. Mintcoin has plenty of Media Coverage, and so does ECCcoin. Litecoin, not so much IMO.
Sort of agree, although not sure how much media coverage mintcoin/ecccoin has gotten.

Dogecoin, for being a joke, has been doing surprisingly well as a potential currency. And by that I mean, an internet tipping currency. It's a smart niche to go after.

NobleCoin has their marketplace, which may end up doing better than the coin itself. Once they get gold/silver sales going, it'll be an easy way to cash out coins for something tangible. They already sort of have that with their Amazon card sales, which if you are like me, is sort of close to cash anyway. I am not sure I'd call it mass adoption, but at least it's turning their coin into an actual currency.

Bitcoin does have Overstock, Tiger Direct and a couple of other places. But I do wonder if it'll ever get mass adoption, as it's sooooo slow to use as a currency. There is very little benefit to the average consumer over simply using their credit card.

Everything else... nah, not really. You can argue that perhaps AUR is trying for mass adoption in Iceland, or some coins have plans to be used as a currency ... but they aren't doing a particularly great job of it. Way too many coins simply seem to exist for exchanges, or as a 'joke' or some other reason. I remember when that Air coin came out, and it seemed like its sole purpose was to sort of influence exchange prices (which it failed at pretty miserably), but there wasn't much talk of how it would be adopted by anyone for actual use. It's way too common to see coins have no actual purpose, and not even have a planned purpose in the future.
WompRat

Activity: 232
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 07:41:07 PM

Obviously you can see I am new around here. I have heard about Dogecoin on CNN, Bitcoin is always in the news. What about all the other coins? I am sure all the coins want the general public to learn about them. Can anyone tell me a coin that is marketing itself to the general public in any meaningful way? One that has a real plan? I am really surprised I am asking this question!!! Shocked

Don't be surprised - I've also asked myself the same thing. To answer your question, unfortunately, no (aside from BTC, naturally).

With the staggering amount of brainpower here, it is sometimes surprising to see the lack of real focus on developing an effective marketing strategy (and no, a dice game and an explorer does not constitute a comprehensive strategy). There is a reason why sales and marketing personnel are among the highest paid in most organizations in any industry.

Nevertheless, there are probably a few coins that could conceivably make the push to prime time, but lack the impetus.
Furthermore, the centralization of executive power and share of the economic pie also discourage community-driven initiatives.

there is nothing to market and if they attract smart people out there they may find themselves in trouble exposed for scammy behavior for the coin their pushing.

advertising and marketing is garbage it's why i stopped turning on my TV years ago and yeah i have a huge TV and cable
and i turn it on prob for an hr or two two watch the news or something every month or two or 3.. then commercials sicken me beyond comprehension and i shut it off.
there is no web sites i see with ads either i use Adblock plus and adblock element hider to add custom rules on Chrome and Firefox to strip it all out !

it's abused to the point where we're fed up with it.. we're sick of having coins pounded on us non stop.. NEW ones.. one after another. that provide nothing new !

Agreed. Microsoft spent 1 billion dollars marketing the 1st version of their Surface tablet worldwide.  They could have spent 10 billion and they wouldn't have shifted many more units, but billions is what a worldwide marketing campaign costs.  None of the coins have access to that kind of money so they need to create buzz in other ways .

MysticalPotato

Activity: 91

Stop the potato genocide!

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 08:52:20 PM

You're looking at it from a conventional standpoint, buddy. Product quality and value propositions are not prerequisites for successful marketing campaigns.
In addition, traditional advertising and marketing channels are no longer strategic gospel - they are part of the equation, a much more dynamic, responsive and scalable equation.

Let me give you some examples.

Venus Factor (venusfactor dot com) and Tao of Baddass (thetaoofbadass dot com/special/) are among the top selling products on Clickbank over the last couple of years, with each netting in revenues in excess of several million dollars annually. The secret behind their success? Certainly not the ebook customers are paying for. The key lies in affiliate recruitment, perfectly copywritten video content, guerrilla social media marketing, carefully developed SEO strategy and constant refocusing of target demographics.

Here's another example - the Dollar Shave Club (dollarshaveclub dot com). The company's CEO, Michael Dubin, orchestrated a carefully structured video viral campaign costing only 4,500. The ROI? 12,000 subscribers within the first 48 hours. 13 million views. Seven months later, a $ 9.8 million venture capital-funded expansion.

I could note down dozens more examples, but the single common denominator here is the marketing strategy.

"Politeness induces morality. Serenity of manners requires serenity of mind.” - Julia Ward Howe

Signature space available for a worthy cause
precrime3

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2014, 08:56:54 PM

Sort of agree, although not sure how much media coverage mintcoin/ecccoin has gotten.

Dogecoin, for being a joke, has been doing surprisingly well as a potential currency. And by that I mean, an internet tipping currency. It's a smart niche to go after.

NobleCoin has their marketplace, which may end up doing better than the coin itself. Once they get gold/silver sales going, it'll be an easy way to cash out coins for something tangible. They already sort of have that with their Amazon card sales, which if you are like me, is sort of close to cash anyway. I am not sure I'd call it mass adoption, but at least it's turning their coin into an actual currency.

Bitcoin does have Overstock, Tiger Direct and a couple of other places. But I do wonder if it'll ever get mass adoption, as it's sooooo slow to use as a currency. There is very little benefit to the average consumer over simply using their credit card.

Everything else... nah, not really. You can argue that perhaps AUR is trying for mass adoption in Iceland, or some coins have plans to be used as a currency ... but they aren't doing a particularly great job of it. Way too many coins simply seem to exist for exchanges, or as a 'joke' or some other reason. I remember when that Air coin came out, and it seemed like its sole purpose was to sort of influence exchange prices (which it failed at pretty miserably), but there wasn't much talk of how it would be adopted by anyone for actual use. It's way too common to see coins have no actual purpose, and not even have a planned purpose in the future.

Well noblecoin does many charity events and sponsor ESEA which is HUGE, so yeah I consider that mass adoption xD

poornamelessme

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 09:01:52 PM

Well noblecoin does many charity events and sponsor ESEA which is HUGE, so yeah I consider that mass adoption xD

I like NobleCoin, and those events do help. But to me, mass adoption means a large percentage of people use the coin for purchasing merchandise, or at least using the coin on a regular basis. Exposure doesn't equal mass adoption, necessarily. I am not even sure how many people here knew anything at all about NobleCoin until that recent paper by the dev.

I think the way many here look at the term 'mass adoption' differs from how outsiders would view it. Go up to any stranger and mention NobleCoin to them and you will get blank stares.
precrime3

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2014, 09:07:46 PM

I like NobleCoin, and those events do help. But to me, mass adoption means a large percentage of people use the coin for purchasing merchandise, or at least using the coin on a regular basis. Exposure doesn't equal mass adoption, necessarily. I am not even sure how many people here knew anything at all about NobleCoin until that recent paper by the dev.

I think the way many here look at the term 'mass adoption' differs from how outsiders would view it. Go up to any stranger and mention NobleCoin to them and you will get blank stares.

MOST of the time you mention BTC or even LTC, you get blank stares. Since the OP said attempting mass adoption, Noblecoin would be a good answer as they're getting a ton of exposure no?

Vicodin (OP)

Activity: 226

Power the World for FREE

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 09:15:03 PM

The problem, even with Bitcoin is that it is a community project and effort is made via contribution.
Unless it adopts a business model, with income, salaries, marketing budgets etc, it may take a while for adoption, because right now, its only the media that write an article about any coin that gets it the free publicity.

For example... If I offered you a great salary to project manage a team of paid developers and then get a market firm paid up and working to market my coin, then things will quickly sway away from Bitcoin and over to the new "Recognized Leader" in Crypto
Currency

I can't overstate how spot on this guy is. The first coin to do this will be the "recognized leader"!! Bitcoin will be left in the dust. Or at best number 2. The thing I think people fail to realize is the "network effect" can be easily "transferred". This is what I mean by this. I heard someone say, "don't underestimate the network effect".

Merchants accepting Bitcoin now already believe in them. Bitcoin already opened the door. Now that the door is opened, it will be very easy for "mastercard" to be added for example. This just leaves people wanting to use said coin. Look how far Bitcoin has come with no meaningful marketing push. Look at Dogecoin, just a copy of Litecoin. And they haven't  done fullscale marketing like some new internet startup would do.

I don't think it will be long now that governments are starting to make things more clear.

poornamelessme

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 09:16:32 PM

MOST of the time you mention BTC or even LTC, you get blank stares. Since the OP said attempting mass adoption, Noblecoin would be a good answer as they're getting a ton of exposure no?

Heh, true... although a decent number of  people do know about BTC now. LTC... not really.

As for Noblecoin attempting mass adoption, I should have been clearer in my post. They are attempting  a greater level of adoption, but I wouldn't view their marketplace really as part of some form of mass adoption. It's a great idea, but a bit too small scale to be considered 'mass'.

But yep, they would fall under one of the coins at least attempting mass adoption, hence why I included them on my list. I thought by your post that you meant they were already achieving some form of mass adoption, but they have quite a ways to go for that.
precrime3

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2014, 09:20:58 PM

Heh, true... although a decent number of  people do know about BTC now. LTC... not really.

As for Noblecoin attempting mass adoption, I should have been clearer in my post. They are attempting  a greater level of adoption, but I wouldn't view their marketplace really as part of some form of mass adoption. It's a great idea, but a bit too small scale to be considered 'mass'.

But yep, they would fall under one of the coins at least attempting mass adoption, hence why I included them on my list. I thought by your post that you meant they were already achieving some form of mass adoption, but they have quite a ways to go for that.

Glad  we could clarify Smiley
And haha no sir, no coins have achieved mass adoption yet. My definition of mass adoption is when a thief asks for your private key xD

catoshi

Activity: 112

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 09:38:16 PM

First we will learn how to use Computers, then we will have our currency!

Yes we Cat! Tongue

CATS RULE - DOGS DRULE!
Vicodin (OP)

Activity: 226

Power the World for FREE

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 09:42:48 PM

With the staggering amount of brainpower here, it is sometimes surprising to see the lack of real focus on developing an effective marketing strategy (and no, a dice game and an explorer does not constitute a comprehensive strategy). There is a reason why sales and marketing personnel are among the highest paid in most o:rganizations in any industry.

You're looking at it from a conventional standpoint, buddy. Product quality and value propositions are not prerequisites for successful marketing campaigns.
In addition, traditional advertising and marketing channels are no longer strategic gospel - they are part of the equation, a much more dynamic, responsive and scalable equation.

Let me give you some examples.

Venus Factor (venusfactor dot com) and Tao of Baddass (thetaoofbadass dot com/special/) are among the top selling products on Clickbank over the last couple of years, with each netting in revenues in excess of several million dollars annually. The secret behind their success? Certainly not the ebook customers are paying for. The key lies in affiliate recruitment, perfectly copywritten video content, guerrilla social media marketing, carefully developed SEO strategy and constant refocusing of target demographics.

Here's another example - the Dollar Shave Club (dollarshaveclub dot com). The company's CEO, Michael Dubin, orchestrated a carefully structured video viral campaign costing only 4,500. The ROI? 12,000 subscribers within the first 48 hours. 13 million views. Seven months later, a $ 9.8 million venture capital-funded expansion.

I could note down dozens more examples, but the single common denominator here is the marketing strategy.

I reached the first criteria for having a successful topic. Spoenik is here!!

Thank you it wouldn't be the same without you here to slam shit around!!

But yes, I was talking about the marketing strategies above. That is exactly what a coin needs. Spotenik, sometimes I agree with you and sometimes I don't. This is no exception. I hate TV as well. Can't stand commercials. The old traditional marketing is dead in many ways. But I do believe that any coin, even a shitty clone copy could go mainstream. My hope is that it is a new innovative coin that does it. It doesn't need billions either, just professionals that know what they are doing.

markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2014, 10:31:55 PM

Trying to get the public to adopt insecure crapcoins just undermines confidence in the whole blockchain technology.

The first thing should always be to create something absolutely secure before pushing it at the public.

Anything less is fiduciary irresponsibility, scamming the public into throwing their money away on insecure garbage.

Is even namecoin secure enough? Heck is even bitcoin secure enough?

If any are, it would be those two. But do we need even more hash power in them before they are secure enough to be responsibly promoted to the public?

For sure neither Litecoin nor DOGE are secure enough, as DOGE showed. DOGE taught us that just some stupid meme can conjure up almost overnight more hashing power than Litecoin had, thus that Litecoin was not secure...

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
catoshi

Activity: 112

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 10:36:18 PM

CATS RULE - DOGS DRULE!
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 10:56:58 PM

I don't think ANY altcoin will reach the level of mass adoption. Retailers and companies are concentrating on Bitcoin IF they ever going to add it as payment method.

But I have to say that I really like Dogecoin and Quarkcoin. Grin
bl0ckchain

Activity: 98

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 11:21:58 PM

My guess is anytime there is a serious developer of a new coin, they focus on making the coin unique. This is good. But at the same time, realizing they have a unique coin, they take the build it and they will come approach. Grin

Exactly!

This is my understanding of what is happening at Goldcoin (GLD) these days. Some pretty interesting things in the works based on what I'm hearing.
defaced
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1011

Franko is Freedom

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2014, 11:56:54 PM

Cant have mass adoption with out consensus and anyone who stumbles into this section of the forums will see we are anything but united.

Fortune Favors the Brave
Borderless CharityEXPANSEEXRAllergy FinderFranko Is Freedom
coolbeans94

Activity: 613
Merit: 500

Mintcoin: Get some

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 05:23:13 AM

I would have to say Mintcoin (MINT). They are actually building the support & infrastructure to support mass adoption right now. Transactions 20x faster than BTC, Pure PoS is more energy efficient. Had a hugely successful initial distribution. Is in the works of developing a foundation, and endowment fund.  Has many merchants already, with new ones being added almost on a daily basis. Is set to get on Vault of Satoshi next month. Also developing a Proof-of-Stake Android mobile wallet. Great name with great marketing potential. And is able to "mint" new Mintcoins for savers.

(1.) Moral happiness depends upon moral order.
(2.) Moral order depends upon the harmonious action of all our powers, as
individuals and as members of society.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: