Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 04:41:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: New attack on the bitcoin network.  (Read 2072 times)
VolanicEruptor (OP)

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 04:45:32 PM

Just look at the recent blocks solved.  Very few transactions are even making it through right now because of it. 
Of course they picked a Sunday to do this, when nobody is around to fix this BS. 

"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitCoinDream
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 04:51:01 PM

Just look at the recent blocks solved.  Very few transactions are even making it through right now because of it. 
Of course they picked a Sunday to do this, when nobody is around to fix this BS. 

I always think its a problem... but due to my limited knowledge in mining algo, I cant justify it.

Ref 1: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=551616.0

Ref 2: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=551649.0

VolanicEruptor (OP)

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 04:56:02 PM

I've mentioned before that being able to pass blocks through without transactions is an economic waste.  I was burned at the cross for not acknowledging that the system is democratic and miners can do whatever they want.  Meanwhile people can't get their transactions through.  What a fucking joke..

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4610

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 04:56:07 PM
Last edit: April 06, 2014, 05:28:47 PM by DannyHamilton

Just look at the recent blocks solved.

I'm looking.  I don't see any problem that needs to be fixed.  Perhaps you can explain what it is that I'm not seeing?

Very few transactions are even making it through right now because of it.

Making it through where?

Not around?  Where do the people who can fix problems go to on Sundays? Mars?

Perhaps a few more details about what it is that has you in a panic would help others put your mind at ease.

EDIT:

Sorry, I failed to realize I was dealing with a troll.

Please don't feed the trolls.  This post has been edited to remove the troll food.
VolanicEruptor (OP)

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 04:57:38 PM

Making it through where?

If you can't figure out that this means an unreasonably long confirmation time, you shouldn't be in this thread.  I shouldn't have to spell that out for you.

Not around?  Where do the people who can fix problems go to on Sundays? Mars?

Sundays are common times to spend time with the family instead of at work or at the computer.  You didn't know this?

tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 05:15:45 PM

Making it through where?

If you can't figure out that this means an unreasonably long confirmation time, you shouldn't be in this thread.  I shouldn't have to spell that out for you.

Sundays are common times to spend time with the family instead of at work or at the computer.  You didn't know this?

So what would they do to fix it if it weren't Sunday?
Aswan
Legendary

Activity: 1734
Merit: 1015

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 05:17:48 PM

I've mentioned before that being able to pass blocks through without transactions is an economic waste.  I was burned at the cross for not acknowledging that the system is democratic and miners can do whatever they want.  Meanwhile people can't get their transactions through.  What a fucking joke..

It's not necessarily an economic waste. If you include many Tx in your Block it will be bigger in size and therefore propagate slower through the network, making it more like to be an orphan.
SherdonIke

Activity: 66
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 05:31:54 PM

I can't make a conclusion of this due to my limited knowledge in mining
BunsenBurner

Activity: 653
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 06:08:58 PM

I don't see anything wrong with the blocks.
Even if we have 1 or 2 selfish miners, there is not much problem as the unconfirmed tx will be picked up by the next block or so.
After all, we are still far from the 1MB block limit.

VolanicEruptor (OP)

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 02:55:03 AM

Even if we have 1 or 2 selfish miners, there is not much problem as the unconfirmed tx will be picked up by the next block or so.

Okay, so what happens if every miner turns selfish?  Do you expect most of them to always be good at heart?

VolanicEruptor (OP)

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 02:56:18 AM

Making it through where?

So what would they do to fix it if it weren't Sunday?

They would call the Greenbay Packers, of course.

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4447

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 03:01:03 AM

Okay, so what happens if every miner turns selfish?  Do you expect most of them to always be good at heart?

if mining pools put in silly rules such as what eligius have done in the past.. then if it causes too much trouble, people will not use those mining pools and instead make new pools that have better code to be more honest.

after all if a pool is going to mess with peoples transactions so they cant even cash out their bitcoin into an exchange. then they wont use the pool.

mining pool owners love shooting themselves in the foot due to greed.. im glad the number of feet they have to shoot is limited before their left crawling on their hands and knees.

if anyone finds out which pools are messing with blocks/transactions. post the pools IP so everyone can remove the ip from their supernodes lists, allowing for other pools that are more ethical to receive transactions. then the miners will move onto the more ethical pools, because they will learn they wont be able to withdraw any unethical block rewards. wasting their mining hashpower on an unethical pool that wont pay out

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
skooter

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 03:19:39 AM

Okay, so what happens if every miner turns selfish?  Do you expect most of them to always be good at heart?

if mining pools put in silly rules such as what eligius have done in the past.. then if it causes too much trouble, people will not use those mining pools and instead make new pools that have better code to be more honest.

after all if a pool is going to mess with peoples transactions so they cant even cash out their bitcoin into an exchange. then they wont use the pool.

mining pool owners love shooting themselves in the foot due to greed.. im glad the number of feet they have to shoot is limited before their left crawling on their hands and knees.

if anyone finds out which pools are messing with blocks/transactions. post the pools IP so everyone can remove the ip from their supernodes lists, allowing for other pools that are more ethical to receive transactions. then the miners will move onto the more ethical pools, because they will learn they wont be able to withdraw any unethical block rewards. wasting their mining hashpower on an unethical pool that wont pay out

The fuck are you on?

If anything the reward for mining for an "unethical" pool would be higher, if only slightly.

Every tx you add to a block slightly increases the odds of it being orphaned. So if a pool say, refuses to add any tx that doesn't have at least a meaningful fee (say .0001), that's BENEFICIAL to pool members.
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2014, 03:22:39 AM

Complaining about a day of bitcoin trouble in spring 2014 is like complaining about a day of internet trouble in spring 1994.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4447

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 03:40:50 AM

The fuck are you on?

If anything the reward for mining for an "unethical" pool would be higher, if only slightly.

Every tx you add to a block slightly increases the odds of it being orphaned. So if a pool say, refuses to add any tx that doesn't have at least a meaningful fee (say .0001), that's BENEFICIAL to pool members.

what da' crap are you on.. the idea of blocks is to confirm transactions.. if people are ignoring transactions then they are ignoring the whole point in mining.. and only doing it for greed.. meaning unethical..

no transaction should be ignored. otherwise the benefits of bitcoin disintegrates..

hmm let me guess you dont care about bitcoin. you just want to cash out your mining reward back to fiat and store it in a bank account. and you dont give a fuck about the benefits bitcoin can bring.

lets get to your point though

if i had 1000 transactions, they are just 1000 transactions whether they have a fee or dont have a fee, they are just transaction data.
the fee does not change the chances of a orphan.
pool owners want to reduce the 1% risk of an orphan by only allowing in 100 transactions of data.. again whether with fee's or not, does not affect orphan chance. but what does affect orphan chance is data amount.

pools are getting so greedy by not just accepting transactions. that they are forcing people to add fee's. not because it reduces the risk of orphans. but because it gives them VIP status to be allowed into a small and limited block.

which goes totally against what bitcoin was all about. transaction freedoms.

we are trying to move away from the banking system that requires high transaction costs just to do business EG Mastercard Black

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
skooter

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 04:17:39 AM

The fuck are you on?

what da' crap are you on.. the idea of blocks is to confirm transactions.. if people are ignoring transactions then they are ignoring the whole point in mining.. and only doing it for greed.. meaning unethical..

no transaction should be ignored. otherwise the benefits of bitcoin disintegrates..

hmm let me guess you dont care about bitcoin. you just want to cash out your mining reward back to fiat and store it in a bank account. and you dont give a fuck about the benefits bitcoin can bring.

lets get to your point though

if i had 1000 transactions, they are just 1000 transactions whether they have a fee or dont have a fee, they are just transaction data.
the fee does not change the chances of a orphan.
pool owners want to reduce the 1% risk of an orphan by only allowing in 100 transactions of data.. again whether with fee's or not, does not affect orphan chance. but what does affect orphan chance is data amount.

pools are getting so greedy by not just accepting transactions. that they are forcing people to add fee's. not because it reduces the risk of orphans. but because it gives them VIP status to be allowed into a small and limited block.

which goes totally against what bitcoin was all about. transaction freedoms.

we are trying to move away from the banking system that requires high transaction costs just to do business EG Mastercard Black

Yeah, that might've been the pipe dream, but the reality is people paid millions for asic hardware to be greedy and make a profit.
LouReed

Activity: 732
Merit: 500

Nosce te Ipsum

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 04:28:49 AM

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/22cohy/8024121746_mining_18_blocks_today_containing/
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2014, 07:36:49 AM

The fee for transactions is not determined by the client. It's determined by miners. If miners want to charge more, they can. Other miners can undercut them, but now that a few big mining pools have most of the hash capacity, it's in their interest to crank up the fees. If you want fast confirmations (or, during busy periods, any confirmations) it's going to cost you.

Cutting the default fee in the Bitcoin client was probably a mistake. That cut the fees paid to miners. They didn't have to put up with that, and it looks like they're pushing back.

If you put a fee of 1% of the transaction cost on a transaction, does it get confirmed quickly?
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4610

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 08:21:38 AM

The fee for transactions is not determined by the client. It's determined by miners. If miners want to charge more, they can. Other miners can undercut them, but now that a few big mining pools have most of the hash capacity, it's in their interest to crank up the fees. If you want fast confirmations (or, during busy periods, any confirmations) it's going to cost you.

Cutting the default fee in the Bitcoin client was probably a mistake. That cut the fees paid to miners. They didn't have to put up with that, and it looks like they're pushing back.

If you put a fee of 1% of the transaction cost on a transaction, does it get confirmed quickly?

The miners generally make there decision based on fee per kilobyte, not fee per BTC.

Therefore, a 1 BTC transaction that is smaller than 1 kilobyte and pays a 1% fee will almost certainly be in the next block that includes transactions. Meanwhile, a 0.001 BTC transaction that is larger than 1 kilobyte might have to wait hours or days before a miner that's willing to confirm the transaction solves a block.
zolace

Activity: 364

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 03:06:18 PM

Well yeah, I guess someone should fix it, the bitcoin foundation should be held repsonsible in doing that, if they cant do it , then bring a new foundation, The foundation of the Bitcoin,  Grin

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: