Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:44:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What people would you like to see on denominated bitcoin bills?  (Read 5139 times)
realnowhereman

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
December 29, 2011, 09:41:43 AM

Loki

1AAZ4xBHbiCr96nsZJ8jtPkSzsg1CqhwDa

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Red Emerald

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2011, 09:55:33 AM

We shouldn't put portraits on money. I recommend equations and functions related to the bitcoin algorithms.
I'm not against portaits, but I definitely agree with putting equations and functions on the money.  I especially like the phrase "In Crypto We Trust"

An actual mirror. It's people's currency, after all.
I like this too

PrintCoins (OP)

Activity: 533
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 29, 2011, 02:45:08 PM

I personally am against putting actual people on currency too.

Old U.S. coins used to have images of Lady Liberty, the embodiment of an idea, on them before they switched to dead presidents.

I think she would be a nice face to see returned to money. Or barring that, some other embodiment(s) of an idea (although such things don't seem as popular nowadays, not sure what would be both available and well-known.)

Feel free to suggest ideas. I feel that a graphic that conveys something that bitcoin stands for would be more meaningful than a person.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
December 29, 2011, 02:55:27 PM

Old U.S. coins used to have images of Lady Liberty, the embodiment of an idea, on them before they switched to dead presidents.

I would strongly recommend against using any symbology used by the United States or any other currency (both in current circulation and in the past).  The closer any Bitcoin bill resembles US currency the more likely the Secret Service is to investigate on charges of counterfeiting.
PrintCoins (OP)

View Profile
December 29, 2011, 03:03:58 PM

I think a series of Bitcoin notes all featuring famous cryptographers would be awesome.

Plenty to choose from!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cryptographers

I would pick out Alan Turing, Charles Babbage, ... any other suggestions?

I think a cyroptographer/mathamatician/programmer line would be good and create a full set (I need at least 6).

LoupGaroux

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 29, 2011, 03:50:00 PM

Why use the old convention of putting the face of our rulers on our coinage? Graven images were used to indicate the power of the ruler "I am Caesar and thus created this coin" and even contemporary currency uses the signatures of various Ministers of the Exchequer, Secretaries of the Treasury etc. to "legitimize" the people using the Centralized Authorities instrument of value, produced, maintained, manipulated and controlled by them, for them and without our input as the people.

Bitcoin, and the family of alt-cryptocoins demolish that fabrication, and I would hold that we don't need to use the tokens of value to glorify any individual, or to acknowledge authority to control our wealth. If we want to have colorful images, let's celebrate that which differentiates cryptocurrency from fiat, it is technological superior, it is digital, it is decentralized and it is not backed by the full faith and credit (and might of...) any sovereign State.
PrintCoins (OP)

View Profile
December 29, 2011, 06:57:31 PM

Why use the old convention of putting the face of our rulers on our coinage? Graven images were used to indicate the power of the ruler "I am Caesar and thus created this coin" and even contemporary currency uses the signatures of various Ministers of the Exchequer, Secretaries of the Treasury etc. to "legitimize" the people using the Centralized Authorities instrument of value, produced, maintained, manipulated and controlled by them, for them and without our input as the people.

Bitcoin, and the family of alt-cryptocoins demolish that fabrication, and I would hold that we don't need to use the tokens of value to glorify any individual, or to acknowledge authority to control our wealth. If we want to have colorful images, let's celebrate that which differentiates cryptocurrency from fiat, it is technological superior, it is digital, it is decentralized and it is not backed by the full faith and credit (and might of...) any sovereign State.

Yep, I agree. It would be nice to present symbolic representations of this idea, and I would be open to any suggestions you have for this.

kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
December 29, 2011, 06:59:32 PM

the glider.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2011, 07:33:06 PM

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_MUSMOemxoHQ/S_GCyziGg2I/AAAAAAAAAAs/0ikCivddX1s/s1600/563px-Official_gnu.svg.png

1DrGossc3QidjzgDXzveCAQGiPWsoiDZ8C

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
PrintCoins (OP)

View Profile
December 29, 2011, 07:43:21 PM

Smiley

That is great.

Ok, so we have an Alpaca, a Camel (silk road), a Gnu. I could see doing an animal series. Any other suggestions on animals that would be related.

smickles

Activity: 446

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2011, 07:43:42 PM

I think she would be a nice face to see returned to money. Or barring that, some other embodiment(s) of an idea (although such things don't seem as popular nowadays, not sure what would be both available and well-known.)
Ya know. I kinda like the 'embodiment of an idea' idea.

smickles

Activity: 446

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2011, 07:46:49 PM

heh, how about Kevin Mitnick, or some such ...

pc

Activity: 253

View Profile
December 29, 2011, 08:19:23 PM

I do like the idea of a mirror, or if that's technically difficult, some embodiment of it belonging to "the people". Maybe a picture of a crowd (one so large that faces can't really be made out), or of the Earth, or something like that.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
December 29, 2011, 08:29:19 PM

I do like the idea of a mirror, or if that's technically difficult, some embodiment of it belonging to "the people". Maybe a picture of a crowd (one so large that faces can't really be made out), or of the Earth, or something like that.

Maybe a symbolic representation of p2p nodes.  Something like some dots to represent nodes w/ lines forming a mesh between nodes (links).
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
December 29, 2011, 09:16:49 PM

Maybe a symbolic representation of p2p nodes.  Something like some dots to represent nodes w/ lines forming a mesh between nodes (links).

I like where this is going.

- A space view of the Earth
- A p2p network representation
- A crowd of individuals

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
December 29, 2011, 09:17:42 PM

Smiley

That is great.

Ok, so we have an Alpaca, a Camel (silk road), a Gnu. I could see doing an animal series. Any other suggestions on animals that would be related.

If animals are done, the porcupine should be included. Smiley

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
Andrew Bitcoiner

Activity: 396

Send correspondance to GPG key A372E7C6

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2011, 09:32:14 PM

As long a the bills can be determined to be legitimate through non-aesthetic methods (validation of balance sent to its address, for example), I would suggest allowing whoever initiates the "minting" of the bills to put whoever they want or whatever graphic they want on them, essentially custom-ordered at the time of purchase/exchange.

All great suggestions.  If anyone can do this please let me know and I will pay to have the feature implemented into www.bitcoindebit.net

MAKE MONEY! ADVERTISE FOR BITCOINS http://www.bitcoinadvertising.com
Bitcoin News Site http://coinbits.com
Bitcoin Blackjack http://bitjack21.com
Bitcoin, Darknet, IT consulting http://cryptophene.com
PrintCoins (OP)

View Profile
December 29, 2011, 10:05:00 PM

As long a the bills can be determined to be legitimate through non-aesthetic methods (validation of balance sent to its address, for example), I would suggest allowing whoever initiates the "minting" of the bills to put whoever they want or whatever graphic they want on them, essentially custom-ordered at the time of purchase/exchange.

All bills have a public address on them that is visible, and is easily checked via a cellphone qr scanner.

I did a set of 20 of these for IBB with their logo on them. I don't think I would do it for smaller batches though as it is a little laborious to do.

kgo

Activity: 548

View Profile
December 29, 2011, 11:59:24 PM

Abe Vigoda
Distribution

Activity: 711

Fight fire with photos.

View Profile
December 30, 2011, 12:03:04 AM

Smiley

That is great.

If animals are done, the porcupine should be included. Smiley

I was going to say the porcupine also. The freestaters would love that.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: