Considering that at least two similar cases have been mentioned in this thread where winners were denied their winnings with the same excuse, I wonder why people even use that casino anymore and hope for a big win? If I were the winner, I would hire a team of top lawyers and sue these bastards for a lot more than $6 million.
As far as I know, the other issues stated above already have cases filed by the victims, and they’re still in progress up until today.
Cases like these, among other things, are why I support strict regulation of gambling and oversight agencies that keep a close eye on the industry. Historically, the gambling industry has provided far too many examples of its failure to regulate itself adequately. You just have to think about the ties the Mafia had with casinos in the U.S.
The part that really concerns me the most is the imbalance of power the moment there’s a huge payout. The affected gambler in question may spend years just to prove what really happened while the casino on the other hand already has the money, lawyers and even the technical records on their own side. And this is the reason why independent audits, very transparent game logs and a dispute procedure that’s clear matters a lot when the amount involved is a huge one.
With strict European-style regulations, consumers—or gamblers, in this case—are much better protected in these situations.