The fact that the attackers could work silently and your friend didn't even notice these changes earlier is another flaw that we all should be mindful, there's high chance that there are quite a number of notifications he or she failed to see.
I didn't put the SIM swap hack blame on him but his complacency was just too annoying to ignore. How did you not take action immediately, not even over 24 hours later.
His excuse was that he's had the same network signal issue before and it was later resolved, then I asked him if he wasn't getting notifications on his email when they were attempting to gain access only to be told that he turned off his phone notification because it became too disturbing.
Well, he's learnt his lesson, but I wouldn't want any other person person here to learn it his own way, that was why I created this topic.