Bitcoin Forum
October 08, 2026, 04:23:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 31.1 [Torrent]
 
   Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Whats the current state of testnet3 vs testnet4?  (Read 388 times)
nc50lc
Legendary
*
Offline

Activity: 3290
Merit: 9255


Self-proclaimed Genius


View Profile
Today at 05:11:04 AM
Merited by athanred (1)
 #21

Edit: I requested coins from coinfaucet and it's not working. It's stuck with 0 confirmations. If anyone could confirm if testnet4 is down or something let me know..
It's not down, blocks are just too inconsistent unlike in mainnet.

Any ideas? Do I just send it with no miner fee? or add a custom one?
There's not much transactions in testnet4, you can just set it to 0.1-1sat/vB or set "fallbackfee=0.00001" so you don't have to manually set it whenever estimate is taking too long to work.

LoyceV
Legendary
*
Offline

Activity: 4186
Merit: 22902


Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021


View Profile WWW
Today at 05:22:07 AM
Merited by athanred (1)
 #22

Edit: I requested coins from coinfaucet and it's not working. It's stuck with 0 confirmations.
That's what I meant when I mentioned most "miners" mine empty blocks on testnet4. This way they're the fastest claiming the block reward.

¡uʍop ǝpᴉsdn pɐǝɥ ɹnoʎ ɥʇᴉʍ ʎuunɟ ʞool no⅄
[MUSIC] The Ballad of LoyceV
athanred
Full Member
***
Offline

Activity: 185
Merit: 327


View Profile
Today at 06:34:54 AM
 #23

Quote
Transaction Fee: Warning: fee estimation is not currently possible.
I never trusted Bitcoin Core's fee estimation, and always picked my fees manually. Historically, it was the worst fee estimator I saw, so I stopped using it years ago. There is even a topic on Delving, where some people tried to fix it, but they probably didn't deploy it yet, if it doesn't work for you: https://delvingbitcoin.org/t/mempool-based-fee-estimation-on-bitcoin-core/703

Quote
Any ideas?
Just look at your own mempool, and see, what fees are needed. Probably "getblocktemplate" will give you a valid block data, collected from your own node, and then, you can simply check, what is the lowest fee, that could be included.

Quote
Do I just send it with no miner fee?
Well, if you use testnet4, then you can always disconnect from the network, wait 20 minutes, and then mine any block on your CPU. If all you need is testing things, and not trading coins, then that should be sufficient.

Quote
or add a custom one?
I always added a custom one. But also note, that because of CPU blocks, mined every 20 minutes, you will have to wait for the next ASIC block, to see your transaction confirmed. Because testnet4 CPU miners usually include no transactions, to see their blocks propagated faster. It is more profitable to win 50 tBTCs, instead of trying to get for example 50.01 tBTC, and losing everything, just because someone else propagated a block faster, at the same height.

Quote
It's stuck with 0 confirmations.
It will confirm, when some ASIC miner will include it. CPU miners have no incentive to include transactions, because it slows down their block propagation. And because everyone keeps an empty block, mined far in advance, only broadcasting time matters for min-difficulty blocks.

Quote
If anyone could confirm if testnet4 is down
No, it is up and running. But it was turned into some useless altcoin by traders, and CPU miners, to the point, where everyone uses something else, while waiting for fjahr to release testnet5. Some miners are selling a lot of coins, and there is some trading, but beyond that, most developers actually stopped using testnet4 for anything serious, because they have signet, which they can fully control, or regtest, where they can locally make any chain they want.
LoyceV
Legendary
*
Offline

Activity: 4186
Merit: 22902


Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021


View Profile WWW
Today at 07:19:25 AM
 #24

Well, if you use testnet4, then you can always disconnect from the network, wait 20 minutes, and then mine any block on your CPU. If all you need is testing things, and not trading coins, then that should be sufficient.
Tiny detail: you'll need to wait 2 hours longer because blocks are mined 2 hours into the future already. Or just change your system clock Smiley

¡uʍop ǝpᴉsdn pɐǝɥ ɹnoʎ ɥʇᴉʍ ʎuunɟ ʞool no⅄
[MUSIC] The Ballad of LoyceV
BlackHatCoiner
Legendary
*
Offline

Activity: 2170
Merit: 10180


A swap that needs a hand? zeto.cash@proton.me


View Profile
Today at 07:57:04 AM
 #25

I never trusted Bitcoin Core's fee estimation, and always picked my fees manually.
One thing that remains a mystery is why Bitcoin Core's fee estimation is so garbage. It's even big mystery than Bitcoin Core not supporting some mnemonic standard for its wallet, and forcing its users store their wallets digitally.

Well, if you use testnet4, then you can always disconnect from the network, wait 20 minutes, and then mine any block on your CPU. If all you need is testing things, and not trading coins, then that should be sufficient.
Tiny detail: you'll need to wait 2 hours longer because blocks are mined 2 hours into the future already. Or just change your system clock Smiley
No, you don't have to wait 2 hours, just 20 minutes. The second 20 minutes have passed, a block you mine that is 2 hours into the future becomes valid again.

LoyceV
Legendary
*
Offline

Activity: 4186
Merit: 22902


Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021


View Profile WWW
Today at 08:02:30 AM
 #26

One thing that remains a mystery is why Bitcoin Core's fee estimation is so garbage.
When I look at mempool.space, I expect 0.32 sat/vbyte to be enough to be confirmed within a few blocks. Bitcoin Core tells me I need to just over 1 sat/vbyte for a confirmation within 2 blocks. But if I'd accept 4 hours, the recommendation is still slightly above 1 sat/vbyte. For anything that can take a day up to a week, Bitcoin Core still recommends double 0.32 sat/vbyte.
It's always been terrible indeed.

Quote
No, you don't have to wait 2 hours, just 20 minutes. The second 20 minutes have passed, a block you mine that is 2 hours into the future becomes valid again.
That's only if you hack and recompile Bitcoin Core, right?

¡uʍop ǝpᴉsdn pɐǝɥ ɹnoʎ ɥʇᴉʍ ʎuunɟ ʞool no⅄
[MUSIC] The Ballad of LoyceV
TheButterZone
Legendary
*
Offline

Activity: 3290
Merit: 1145


RIP Mommy


View Profile WWW
Today at 08:21:12 AM
 #27

I just tried testnet4, for the first time of any testnet in my life, because I needed on-demand incoming TX to get an alert for. What I noticed on the side was how long the TXs were staying unconfirmed (well in excess of 20 minutes/the estimated next block time on mempool.space), as I sent everything back to mempool.space's faucet, except the fees that I didn't care about setting correctly.

LoyceV
Legendary
*
Offline

Activity: 4186
Merit: 22902


Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021


View Profile WWW
Today at 11:24:04 AM
 #28

That feels more complicated than running the existing Bitcoin Core testnet4 with my own fork.
I'll give this a try: Testnet4 LoyceVork ("Vork" is Dutch for "Fork", so it fits nicely) Smiley
Update: this doesn't work the way I expected. I have Testnet4 LoyceVork running and mined 14 blocks after rejecting the other blocks:
Code:
~/bitcoin-31.1/bin/bitcoin-cli -rpcuser=LoyceVork -rpcpassword=xxx -rpcport=58332 -testnet4 invalidateblock 000000001fed1a914651afc36574003c5300cac5df738c3976f28d54f7096253 # block 2
That works fine, I can mine blocks. But if I run the same on another node and add the first node:
Code:
~/bitcoin-31.1/bin/bitcoin-cli -rpcuser=LoyceVork -rpcpassword=xxx -rpcport=58332 -testnet4 addnode "38.102.86.40:58333" "onetry" true
It doesn't start downloading the blocks I mind. It sees the block height (16), but doesn't use them. What am I missing here? If this works, I could easily setup my own Testnet with a very small Electrum server, and regular wipes if there's spam.

¡uʍop ǝpᴉsdn pɐǝɥ ɹnoʎ ɥʇᴉʍ ʎuunɟ ʞool no⅄
[MUSIC] The Ballad of LoyceV
BlackHatCoiner
Legendary
*
Offline

Activity: 2170
Merit: 10180


A swap that needs a hand? zeto.cash@proton.me


View Profile
Today at 12:40:41 PM
 #29

It's always been terrible indeed.
Yes, and I've never understood why this is the case for the largest Bitcoin project (the Bitcoin project, some would argue). Especially when so many wallets use the Bitcoin Core RPC to estimate fees etc.

Also, the fact that there are so many wallets is due to Core having a terrible internal wallet, but this is another discussion.

Quote
That's only if you hack and recompile Bitcoin Core, right?
No, it's consensus rule. No hacks needed.

It doesn't start downloading the blocks I mind. It sees the block height (16), but doesn't use them. What am I missing here?
This is most likely because of the hardcoded minimum chain work: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/282a05b8d10e317d2ce4b42b96ee8b13345804ea/src/kernel/chainparams.cpp#L380. If your node's chain's work is less than that, other nodes will ignore it.

LoyceV
Legendary
*
Offline

Activity: 4186
Merit: 22902


Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021


View Profile WWW
Today at 01:05:14 PM
 #30

Quote
That's only if you hack and recompile Bitcoin Core, right?
No, it's consensus rule. No hacks needed.
Doesn't that only apply to accepting the "future" block, and not to mining it on purpose?

This is most likely because of the hardcoded minimum chain work: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/282a05b8d10e317d2ce4b42b96ee8b13345804ea/src/kernel/chainparams.cpp#L380. If your node's chain's work is less than that, other nodes will ignore it.
So this is mine:
Code:
0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001100110011
This is the minimum:
Code:
000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000e346a558455ade8eca9
I can forget about that on a CPU, so I give up on "Testnet4 LoyceVork".

¡uʍop ǝpᴉsdn pɐǝɥ ɹnoʎ ɥʇᴉʍ ʎuunɟ ʞool no⅄
[MUSIC] The Ballad of LoyceV
athanred
Full Member
***
Offline

Activity: 185
Merit: 327


View Profile
Today at 02:07:25 PM
 #31

Quote
why Bitcoin Core's fee estimation is so garbage
Because nobody cares, and there are so many users of block explorers, that it remained unfixed.

Also, that's why in Open Source, people work on things they need or they like, not necessarily on the things, which are needed by the rest of the community. And because developers don't need it, and users switched to Electrum anyway, there is no pressure to fix it any time soon.

Quote
and forcing its users store their wallets digitally
Well, I wrote my WIFs on a piece of paper. And did the same later with descriptors. Because you never know, when your hardware would crash, and it is a good option, to recover things, if something goes wrong.

Quote
No, you don't have to wait 2 hours, just 20 minutes.
If you want to disconnect anyway, then it is even simpler: you can invalidate some recent blocks with "invalidateblock", mine something by yourself, and then reconsider these blocks later with "reconsiderblock", when you will want to connect again with the rest of the network.

Quote
That's only if you hack and recompile Bitcoin Core, right?
If you recompile the code, then you can easily change 2 hours rule into 20 hours rule. But if you don't, then invalidating some recent blocks is enough, and for that, no recompiling is needed.

Quote
What am I missing here?
If you are connected with the rest of the network, then your chain is probably not the strongest one.

Quote
If your node's chain's work is less than that, other nodes will ignore it.
Which is why using regtest, or a custom signet is simpler, if you want to build your own chain from scratch.

Quote
I can forget about that on a CPU, so I give up on "Testnet4 LoyceVork".
Then use custom signet, if you want CPU mining. Or regtest, if you want paper-and-pencil mining. By the way: your node won't fetch these data by default, however, if you push it manually through "submitblock", then it should work, even if you will try mining on top of mainnet from 2009.
BlackHatCoiner
Legendary
*
Offline

Activity: 2170
Merit: 10180


A swap that needs a hand? zeto.cash@proton.me


View Profile
Today at 02:32:01 PM
 #32

Doesn't that only apply to accepting the "future" block, and not to mining it on purpose?
By mining it "on purpose" do you mean to mine the block, keep it temporarily locally and broadcast it on time since the network will reject it if you send it sooner? Yes, that is not supported by default on Bitcoin Core, you'd have to modify the client and the miner / mining pool software.

Well, I wrote my WIFs on a piece of paper. And did the same later with descriptors. Because you never know, when your hardware would crash, and it is a good option, to recover things, if something goes wrong.
This is a really bad practice, and I don't understand why so many people write down the descriptor text, which is why I'm so against descriptors in the first place. There is a real chance you've messed up your WIFs or descriptors, if you write them down on paper. It's a really big string of text.

LoyceV
Legendary
*
Offline

Activity: 4186
Merit: 22902


Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021


View Profile WWW
Today at 03:32:56 PM
 #33

There is a real chance you've messed up your WIFs or descriptors, if you write them down on paper.
If it's an additional backup, it doesn't increase the risk.

I've always liked "raw" private keys, but I prefer printing them (with BIP38 encryption).

¡uʍop ǝpᴉsdn pɐǝɥ ɹnoʎ ɥʇᴉʍ ʎuunɟ ʞool no⅄
[MUSIC] The Ballad of LoyceV
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!