Bitcoin Forum
October 09, 2026, 07:06:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 31.1 [Torrent]
 
   Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why does everyone charge 10% for PayPal? The chargeback risk nobody talks about  (Read 34 times)
CryptoNewbie2026 (OP)
Newbie
*
Offline

Activity: 10
Merit: 0


View Profile
October 08, 2026, 07:12:02 PM
 #1

I keep seeing exchangers charge 10% extra for PayPal, and others refuse it outright. I dug into why, and the answer is chilling: chargebacks.

Turns out on PayPal the buyer can reverse a payment up to 180 days later. 180 days. You do the trade today, send your USDT, and three months later the buyer claims "I didn't authorize that" and PayPal gives them the money back. You're left with no USDT and no PayPal.

Happened to me a few months ago — one chargeback killed any desire to accept PayPal again. Since then I get why they charge that 10%: it's not greed, it's the price of risk.

I wonder if smart contract escrow would help here. It doesn't eliminate the 180-day risk, but it changes the dynamic: terms recorded on-chain, both sides confirm, and there's an arbitrator if things go wrong. Better than blind trust.

Has anyone here been hit by a chargeback? How do you protect yourselves when accepting PayPal?
Xal0lex
Staff
Legendary
*
Offline

Activity: 3332
Merit: 3194


View Profile WWW
October 08, 2026, 07:37:06 PM
 #2

A 2011 topic.

Beware of PayPal and other reversible transfer services
CryptoNewbie2026 (OP)
Newbie
*
Offline

Activity: 10
Merit: 0


View Profile
October 08, 2026, 09:08:05 PM
 #3

Honest update after thinking about this more: I have to admit escrow doesn't solve PayPal chargebacks. The contract only controls what happens on-chain. Once the USDT is released, if the buyer files a chargeback 30 days later on PayPal, there's nothing the contract can do — it can't reach into PayPal's servers to get the money back.

What it does solve is the "who sends first" problem during the trade. But the 180-day risk is still there. I'd rather be straight about that than oversell it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!