Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 03:36:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What should we do?
I like the name Darkcoin, we should stick with it. - 40 (63.5%)
Let's pick something "lighter" and friendlier (professionally done) - 23 (36.5%)
Total Voters: 63

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Rebrand Darkcoin? (finished)  (Read 2264 times)
eightspaces

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 09:54:05 AM

i suggest the new name  earcanalcoin
poncom

Activity: 318
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 09:58:00 AM

The name could be better but everyone knows it as a brand name now. If you change it then there will always be people who do not know the name has changed. Also everyone knows what dark send is, and if you also change that name then there will always be people who do not know another name has changed. Once dark send it out of beta I doubt the name will put people off buying the coin.
bestsponsor

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 08:52:39 AM

Only DARKCOIN!
That name sounds very well and immediately remembered.

zhouhuiyan520

Activity: 182

Community

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 09:03:49 AM

Prefer darkcoin!!!

Get Daily Free SIGNs before too late.Sow3qFsWZYbXJBqoEJgibUjZTwYgNHoP3s
3ACoin -IPO-FREE-POS 10%-Web Games.
Click here-enjoy-Pirate-coin: Pd7k5uwwAJYfR64VyPeuBUa49riKyTWbah
FreedomLives

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 10:55:37 AM

This has been discussed numerous times before.

The general, thoughtful consensus is that some (myself included) would prefer that it be named Darkcoin.

However, it would almost certainly be best for mass-market adoption, government oversight, general branding, and arguably the value of the coin itself if it was called something like PrivacyCoin, or PrivCoin, or even LibertyCoin, FreedomCoin, etc. 

Its just so much harder for politicians, and our grandmothers, to argue AGAINST something like the names above. People aren't rational. With something as ethereal and conceptual as digital money, naming may be more important than functionality at some critical stage.

Fortunately, we aren't there yet. In the mean time, I encourage rational debate and inquiry. If/when there comes a time comes when DRK has gained sufficient visibility, the dev team and those close to the coin should know how to thoughtfully manage the situation, and establish a cogent "message" for this particular coin.

Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 12:33:02 PM
Last edit: April 09, 2014, 12:40:48 PM by Spoetnik

no just address any concerns honestly and don't dodge any tough questions.
No one can deny a coin that is different in some way and is at least on the surface trying to be a currency is far more valuable
than any of the million dummy clones..

seriously people can take a lot if your honest with them.. if you screw around and get caught later it's way worse.

edit:
And by the way i don't like the name and i think it would turn of some people like my Grandma lol
BUT it's kinda too late i think.. you might as well keep what you started with.. my 2 cents Wink

I love Death Metal and skulls & stuff so Dark stuff is great but for a currency not so much hahaha
My last music download was Behemoth's new album "The Satanist" it's the kitties titties  Shocked

FUD first & ask questions later™
LosingAlpha

Activity: 189

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2014, 01:46:18 PM

look at the name Google...when the creators first said it they would have been like WTF....but now its a household name
The suggestion was googol (10^100) but the guy whoising the name choices to see if the domains were available spelled it wrong.

MisO69
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1005

My mule don't like people laughing

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 01:59:43 PM

I'm a fan of the name. A professional will probably tell us it should be changed. I think what is holding back the coin is not the name, but rather the non final implementation of DarkSend. Once that is finalized I believe it will be locked into the crypto market regardless of it's name. (I will not vote, I should be considered biased.)

Whats holding back the coins is the fact that it was instamined by botnets or the dev or someone at launch. The coin was released as source only. No compiled binaries. I'm surprised that it has gained this much traction with that failed launch.

Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 03:56:15 AM

A small minority of people are instantly comfortable with the name "dark", so keeping the name is a huge mistake.
You leave the door open for another project to easily replace you.

coinzcoinzcoinz

Activity: 530
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 10:07:56 PM

CovertCoin
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: