Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:02:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: EPIC fail  (Read 9991 times)
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
January 01, 2012, 02:26:48 AM

There is a reason why software devs go to school for programming. It isn't as simple as watching a yootoob vid and BAM, your writing code. I'm self taught C++ and I assure you, there is nothing *easy* about learning a first language.

There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NINJA-- (OP)

Activity: 237
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 01, 2012, 02:34:54 AM

I have the hex editor open and the wallet loaded. I may ask a few dumb questions along the way but if somebody can tell me what to do I CAN handle this.
payb.tc

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 01, 2012, 02:36:52 AM

I have the hex editor open and the wallet loaded. I may ask a few dumb questions along the way but if somebody can tell me what to do I CAN handle this.

have you searched/found the first occurrence of 04 20?
NINJA-- (OP)

View Profile
January 01, 2012, 02:49:11 AM

No I dont even know what that means. Looking at this text editor and all these rows of numbers and letters its starting to sink in that I might not be able to handle this.
legolouman

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

Decent Programmer to boot!

View Profile
January 01, 2012, 03:04:25 AM

There is a reason why software devs go to school for programming. It isn't as simple as watching a yootoob vid and BAM, your writing code. I'm self taught C++ and I assure you, there is nothing *easy* about learning a first language.

I don't know, I started with python, and it wasn't so bad. I had a little help with my first project, and then it was learning whenever I needed to expand.

If you love me, you'd give me a Satoshi!
BTC - 1MSzGKh5znbrcEF2qTrtrWBm4ydH5eT49f
LTC - LYeJrmYQQvt6gRQxrDz66XTwtkdodx9udz
trentzb

Activity: 406
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 01, 2012, 03:07:33 AM

If you figure it out on your own imagine how proud you would be to do so without asking for help. I encourage you to try before tossing in the towel. At the least you will have learned some things that may be useful in the future. If you fail to recover it yourself there are folks here willing to help for a fee.

"feed a man fish and he will eat for a night, teach him to fish and he will eat for a lifetime"...or something to that effect Smiley

Give it a shot, your incentive is likely greater than someone else doing it for you.

Hint: Search for the specific hex (CTRL-F maybe) Mike indicated and follow his other tips and see what you find Smiley
payb.tc

View Profile
January 01, 2012, 03:31:28 AM

No I dont even know what that means. Looking at this text editor and all these rows of numbers and letters its starting to sink in that I might not be able to handle this.

firstly, choose Search->Count... from the main menu

choose "Hex String" and type 04 20 (the space should be inserted automatically, just type 0420).

make sure 'scope' is set to 'Begin'.

click OK

when i do that, i get a count of 684... meaning 684 possible private keys in my wallet.

extracting them manually (copy+paste) would take forever... like, more than a week (a very boring week).

actually, do you need these 600 btc at the moment? if you're a long-term holder it could be worth just starting a new wallet and keeping this 'bad' wallet in a safe place for a while in the hope that easier, user-friendly tools to fix it emerge later.

NINJA-- (OP)

View Profile
January 01, 2012, 03:47:23 AM

Message I get when I search 0420. Scope is set to begin.

payb.tc

View Profile
January 01, 2012, 03:53:03 AM

Message I get when I search 0420. Scope is set to begin.

damn.

are you sure you were searching as a hex string, and not searching for '0420' as text?
NINJA-- (OP)

View Profile
January 01, 2012, 03:54:54 AM

The hex box is checked.

payb.tc

View Profile
January 01, 2012, 04:00:32 AM

Positive the hex box is checked.

damn.

sorry i don't think i can help further.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 01, 2012, 04:05:43 AM

Is your wallet encrypted?  Is so hex editor is useless.   You need to decrypt the wallet first (which may not be possible if it is corrupt).
NINJA-- (OP)

View Profile
January 01, 2012, 04:06:39 AM

Nope I never knew I could encrypt it.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2012, 04:16:19 AM

I'm around if you would have me look. Not finding 0420 with a hex editor is a bad sign though.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
NINJA-- (OP)

View Profile
January 01, 2012, 04:43:28 AM

How did you get VIP under your name? Did you put that there or was that earned from staff? Dont really matter but I am a little curious. Your the only one I see with it.
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
January 01, 2012, 04:52:57 AM

How did you get VIP under your name? Did you put that there or was that earned from staff? Dont really matter but I am a little curious. Your the only one I see with it.
He got it by donating 50 bitcoins to the forum.

As for this issue, have you tried pywallet?
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=34028.0
If you use it, only try it on a copy of your backup.

If you can access your old drive, try this:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=25091.0

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2012, 04:54:55 AM

I donated for it on the first day or two it came out, and it's because I wanted a spot to put my real name.

Look to others to vouch for whether I'd scam you.  If I recover anything, I don't even expect a fee.  Just rate me on #bitcoin-otc if you are able.

Also:

- if I were to scam you, others, given your wallet file, could determine that funds were recently taken.
- if your wallet were empty or worthless, others could confirm that, given the same file.

Yeah, I understand... sending your wallet to a complete stranger is a bad idea and is the last thing you want to do.  If nothing else, I'm a person whose real life identity is known and with an established reputation worth more than 600 BTC.  Your call of course.... but on the other hand, if you don't have 0420 anywhere in your file, chances are I might end up announcing you sent me a file full of null bytes, and will post a hash to the forum so you can confirm that with others...

(I suppose it's amusing I can use the number 0420 and hash in the same sentence, and be talking about computers, when normally it would sound like I'm talking about drugs)

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
NINJA-- (OP)

View Profile
January 01, 2012, 05:04:59 AM

Cool nice to know. Ive seen some people say white listed and I think Ive seen a few other titles. It did catch my eye so I figured I would ask. I also noticed staff vouching for you. Its just so hard to give you my wallet.dat. But to be honest it doesnt seem like I have many options. I did noticed that pywallet thread. I skimmed through it and book marked it but I haven't played with it yet. Is there anything worth trying before I send off my wallet?
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2012, 05:09:19 AM

Cool nice to know. Ive seen some people say white listed and I think Ive seen a few other titles. It did catch my eye so I figured I would ask. I also noticed staff vouching for you. Its just so hard to give you my wallet.dat. But to be honest it doesnt seem like I have many options. I did noticed that pywallet thread. I skimmed through it and book marked it but I haven't played with it yet. Is there anything worth trying before I send off my wallet?

If I determine your wallet.dat is junk, the only next thing worth trying would be to scan your entire disk using that utility I linked to.  But you installed an OS over top of it, so even then, your odds aren't that great.  You will at least know what to do next...

given your wallet.dat I will tell you one of two things:
"it's full of 0420's, you must have made a mistake and didn't find them, I recovered your BTC, what's your address"... I'll send you all your BTC, and then you can send the file to others to confirm I sent them all to you... (once the btc are sent to another wallet, the old wallet is of no value to anybody else)

or else

"this doesn't look like a valid wallet.dat, instead I see _______", and I'll invite you to send it to others to confirm that, because at that point you really have nothing to lose.

NINJA-- (OP)

View Profile
January 01, 2012, 05:11:54 AM

As much as I want to keep playing with it I know Im in over my head so Im gonna send it to you and hope for the best.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: