Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:02:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Request for an Scrypt capable fork of cgminer - maybe within new CGMiner / RPC  (Read 5485 times)
ThiagoCMC (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

฿itcoin: Currency of Resistance!

View Profile
December 30, 2011, 05:00:49 AM

Hi!

Guys, how much will cost to add support for Scrypt (Litecoin mining) to cgminer (maybe cgminer-cpuonly)?

Of course, based on: https://github.com/pooler/cpuminer

10 BTC?

So, with only one cgminer instance, we can find Bitcoin/Namecoin and Litecoin blocks!

But keeping the option to mine for Bitcoins using cgminer-cpuonly too, if user wish that...

We should be able to choose a different algorithm for a pool (which will be a Litecoin pool)...

Best!
Thiago
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
January 03, 2012, 04:30:23 PM

ThiagoCMC,
I know ckolivas hates the alternate chains so I'm pretty sure he would NOT want the code in his git.
(and I do understand why)
Thus I'd not be interested in implementing it either.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
ThiagoCMC (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 03, 2012, 05:42:44 PM

Kano,

I'm sorry to ask you this but... Why so much hate?!
 It is just some lines of C code... What evil it can have?!
 Litecoin is a good experience, don't you think?!
 I am very curious to know your opinion in deep about this alt-chain (Litecoin) in specific.

Best!
Thiago
bitlane
Internet detective

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

I heart thebaron

View Profile
January 03, 2012, 07:04:19 PM

With Pooler's minerd being such a killer app for Intel CPUs, do you really think that CGMiner could compete without ALOT of optimizations ?

Why not Bounty-Request Pooler to add enhancements to his minerd for LTC mining ?

ThiagoCMC (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 03, 2012, 07:24:32 PM

With Pooler's minerd being such a killer app for Intel CPUs, do you really think that CGMiner could compete without ALOT of optimizations ?

Why not Bounty-Request Pooler to add enhancements to his minerd for LTC mining ?

I like the CGMiner interface / RPC features and, the CGMiner with Scrypt support will (I guess) have the pooler's code. So, it will be basically the same.

Anyway... We already have the negative response from ckolivas and Kano, so, never mind...

I just being curious on why the two hate so much a new piece of code within CGMiner... I think it can not hurt cgminer, it can be a plus to it.
bitlane
Internet detective

Activity: 462

I heart thebaron

View Profile
January 03, 2012, 07:30:42 PM

Maybe Pooler can fork the CGMiner-CPU-only code and implement his minerd code into it ?

ThiagoCMC (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 05, 2012, 01:05:33 AM

Maybe Pooler can fork the CGMiner-CPU-only code and implement his minerd code into it ?

But ckolivas do not want that code within his git (main cgminer tree) so, who will maintain that fork?!

Anyway, I was thinking in having only one cgminer instance, with scrypt mining for pre-selected pools and, normal Bitcoin mining at GPUs... No only with cgminer-cpuonly but, It can be awesome too!

Ideas?!
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4088
Merit: 1630

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2012, 03:50:58 AM

The cgminer-cpuonly code IS the cgminer code, just with a different configuration option (--disable-opencl) when I build it.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 06:54:48 PM
Last edit: January 12, 2012, 07:11:40 PM by Remember remember the 5th of November

Well...

I was able to make Scrypt work with cgminer which was the primary goal here.
I even was able to compile a 64-bit Windows CGminer thus the Scrypt miner speed from minerd is retained.

I have a few issues, the decay speed reported after a while turns into the word "inf"(but not as problematic as people may think).
And second, Mingw-w64 does not seem to like localtime_r, which was a problem when I was asked to compile the binaries from pooler's code.

Implementing scrypt into cgminer was basically a copy/paste job, so I do not know if that was enough for a reward, but I leave that for you to decide. As for the ability to switch algos for different pools, I find that unneeded since CPU bitcoin mining is extremely rare, plus some pools are banning miners which are requesting work, but their efficiency is low.

CGMiner used is latest one with API support.

As for why I have not released it, I am only waiting to see if "just" porting the algorithm was enough to complete the bounty.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 07:12:44 PM

I just being curious on why the two hate so much a new piece of code within CGMiner... I think it can not hurt cgminer, it can be a plus to it.

I won't speak for them but I don't think it is "hate".  It is simply seeing not future in alt-coins (at least alt-coins so far).  Ckolivas name is defacto attached to cgminer and Kano did the extensive work on RPC code. 

You can understand that they wouldn't be enthusiastic about providing resources (maybe even resulting in user's assuming that means implicit support) for something they find to have no value.  Right?

The good news ... this is why we support free software.  It is GPLed so you have the freedom to do what you want with it.  You could even work on a fork which mines (shudder) SolidCoins ScamCoins. Smiley

ThiagoCMC (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 10:02:51 PM

I agree with you!! Not hate... Sorry...
I'll never talk about Scrypt in CGMiner again... Gotcha!!  ^_^
Ckolivas wants to drop CPU support from CGMiner... I'm fine with that... Finally... lol
Nevertheless, I think that even if we don't believe in some alt-coin, why not help who believes?
People can even pay, with any cryptocurrency, for the job...
ovidiusoft

Activity: 252

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 10:44:36 AM

As for the ability to switch algos for different pools, I find that unneeded since CPU bitcoin mining is extremely rare, plus some pools are banning miners which are requesting work, but their efficiency is low.

I don't see how you can avoid pinning some pools to the CPU and others to the GPU. I assume people mining bitcoin and a cpu chain at the same time will use different pools for them?

Also, this might not be a real problem worth working on, but it would be nice if there would be support for pool fallback/balancing for CPU too. So I guess there would be two sets of pools (CPU and GPU), each with their own balancing/failover rules. I don't know if it makes sense at this point or how much effort will be needed... it's just an idea.
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 11:02:33 AM
Last edit: January 13, 2012, 11:14:56 AM by Remember remember the 5th of November

Mixing GPU mining and CPU-mining in the same process is not a good idea. Imagine that most people like me put cgminer with multiple GPUs on one underclocked core. Every thread will fight for CPU time.

Of course, the newest drivers seem to have fixed the 100% CPU usage bug, but this does not mean that everyone upgraded.

In order to implement such a thing, a massive recode would be needed, so that per-GPU(or per-thread) pools are allowed(each thread/GPU to mine on a different pool), and only then can the CPU threads work like that.
So the best thing here is to use one miner process for GPUs and one for CPU, doing it like this allows free control of which process which core of the CPU to use. CPU mining from the same process will impact GPU mining performance severely, so best not is my advice.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
ovidiusoft

Activity: 252

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 11:32:08 AM

Ah, ok. I think this answers better OP's request (bold mine):

So, with only one cgminer instance, we can find Bitcoin/Namecoin and Litecoin blocks!

TL;DR: OP's request will require a lot of work.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: