Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 07:18:45 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: "I guarantee there will be another Bitcoin price bubble"  (Read 3934 times)
Freefallr (OP)

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 02:57:52 PM

Barry Silbert, creator of SecondMarket, said at the Inside Bitcoin conference that he guarantees there will be another Bitcoin price bubble. He argues that 500-1000M$ is ready to be invested by Wall Street and they are waiting for institutional level infrastructure.

Source: Reddit/Twitter

So.. what do you think?
bananaControl

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

Decentralize All The Things!

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 03:02:06 PM

Sounds about right. I think we'll see a Wall Street bubble just like the Chinese one, only bigger and with a bigger crash on the other side.
cosmofly

Activity: 532
Merit: 100

PrimeDAO - An Adoption Engine for Open Finance

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 03:09:11 PM

Barry Silbert, creator of SecondMarket, said at the Inside Bitcoin conference that he guarantees there will be another Bitcoin price bubble. He argues that 500-1000M$ is ready to be invested by Wall Street and they are waiting for institutional level infrastructure.

So.. what do you think?

$1000M dollar is nothing, do you realize that right?

If you want another bitcoin bubble you need another $20 Billion+

bananaControl

Activity: 322

Decentralize All The Things!

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 03:09:36 PM

Sounds about right. I think we'll see a Wall Street bubble just like the Chinese one, only bigger and with a bigger crash on the other side.

Coins are in short supply. I'm not sure how someone can buy this many coins in the open market.
The price would explode before they can complete 10% of their purchase.

I think it would be naive not to think that some of the big guys are slowly buying up now so they can later drive up the bubble and cash out on the top.
Mervyn_Pumpkinhead
Legendary

Activity: 876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 03:13:16 PM
Last edit: April 08, 2014, 03:38:49 PM by Mervyn_Pumpkinhead

So.. what do you think?

Statements like these mean that he is panicking that bitcoin may not recover and his bitcoin endeavours may go down the drain. If he wants to guarantee something, then present concrete data that will show the high probability of another price bubble. Don't talk about Wall Street like it's some abstract single entity. Talk about concrete investors that have made plans or promises of investing. When you present your high hopes as guaranteed promises, then it's a sign of weakness not strength. Barry just degraded himself to the level of bulltards on this forum, who constantly "guarantee" that this is the point of trend reversal.
And anyway, don't advertise bitcoin with with promises of new bubbles. Bubbles can pop at any moment and are unpredictable investment sources, meaning they are not very attractive investment opportunities in the general sense. Rephrase and use words like "the price will rise rapidly" or even words like "boom". This statement doesn't show Barry as an very sharp fellow.

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓   ░         ░                 ▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓░     ▓▓▓   ▓▓▓     ▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓   ▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓   ░▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓   ▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓    ▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    ▓▓   ▓▓▓   ▓▓▓   ▓▓    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓       ▓▓▓   ▓▓▓       ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓     ▓▓▓   ▓▓▓     ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓   ▓▓▓  ░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░▓▓▓   ▓▓▓░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░░▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
Totle: DEX Aggregator 

▄████▄▄    ▄
██             ████████████▀
████▄         █████████████▀
▀████████▄▄   █████████████
▄▄█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
  ▀██████████████████████
   █████████████████████
    ▀█████████████████▀
      ▄█████████████▀
▄▄███████████████▀
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄
    ▄████████
    █████▀▀▀▀
   ▐████
   ▐████
████████████
████████████
   ▐████
   ▐████
   ▐████
   ▐████
   ▐████

▓███    █████   
                    █     ▓█▒   █   
                   ██       ██▒██   
                   █                
            █████████████           
   ████████░             ░████████  
  █░ ░██                     ▒█▒  ██
  █░██     ░▓▓▓▒      ▓▓▓▒     ░█ ██
   ██      ▒▓▓▓▓     ▒▓▓▓▓      ██  
   ██        ░░        ░░       ▒█  
    █░                          █   
     █▓      ██░      ██░     ░█    
       ██░       ████      ░██      
          ████████████████    

▄▄████
                ▄▄▄████████▌
          ▄▄▄███████▀▄█████
     ▄▄█████████▀▀ ▄██████▌
▄▄███████████▀  ▄█████████
 ▀▀▀█████▀    ▄██████████▌
       ██   █████████████
        █▄ █████████████▌
        ▐█▄███▀▀████████
         ███▀    ▀▀████▌
                    ▀▀█
jamesc760

Activity: 448

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 03:16:33 PM

$1 Billion is nothing.
$20 Billion is nothing.
Compared to the trillions of dollars being pumped into stock markets, billion dollar is a drop in the bucket.

It just shows you how small people are thinking (I'm looking at you, cosmo).
master-P

Activity: 868
Merit: 1001

https://keybase.io/masterp FREE Escrow Service

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2014, 03:20:35 PM

It may not cause another bubble, but it could certainly push us above the ATH of $1200.

Master-P's Free Escrow Service | 1% Fee for Multi-Party/Sig Campaigns | I Sign ALL of my addresses using PGP Key: https://keybase.io/masterp Verify
Tipping Address: 14PUWBwK854GLenxSa7MAuxXQUXK4DKKi5 | E-mail: masterp.bitcointalk {at} gmail {dot} com (for when/if the forum's offline)
Guide on How to Sign a Message
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 03:22:03 PM

That amount of money trying to take up positions within a year time frame would absolutely cause another bubble.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
chriswilmer
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2014, 03:34:27 PM

I don't understand the waiting part. If you wanted to invest $100 million in Bitcoin would you really wait for more infrastructure to develop? Don't these people realize that the price will be much higher by the time that happens? Something doesn't add up.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 03:38:04 PM

Most of the self proclaimed big buyers have been using personal or purely speculative funds.

I would've though that if much of your investment money ultimately belongs to customers or your overlords then you'll be bound by much stricter rules as to where you can throw it. They'll have to wait for some regulation and insurance of sorts.
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1007

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2014, 03:39:45 PM

Coins are in short supply. I'm not sure how someone can buy this many coins in the open market.

I'll tell you exactly what's going to happen. The price of bitcoin is going to stay right about where it is until the miners who are losing money are forced to sell huge chunks to Wall Street or until the price drops far enough for a critical mass of Bitcoins to change hands.  Then Wall Street will fuel the next pump. The next High will be proportionally lower and the next low will be proportionally higher because the patterns is so recognizable that people will front-run it.

insert coin here:
Dash XfXZL8WL18zzNhaAqWqEziX2bUvyJbrC8s

1Ctd7Na8qE7btyueEshAJF5C7ZqFWH11Wc
lemfuture

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 03:54:19 PM

great news, ready to sell

1ADLcfwTofFXb95pKhebpeRkJ4WTWsvQXB
Freefallr (OP)

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 04:05:22 PM

$4000 by the end of July.

Why end of July?
Cassius
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2014, 04:10:09 PM

I don't understand the waiting part. If you wanted to invest $100 million in Bitcoin would you really wait for more infrastructure to develop? Don't these people realize that the price will be much higher by the time that happens? Something doesn't add up.

I've often wondered about this - particularly at the moment, when bitcoins appear to be cheap.
I've not come up with any answers, except that
1) A LOT of 'investors' are short-term speculators who hold for days or weeks at most
2) There's still enough perceived risk to put off newcomers
3) Those who have made money from bitcoin (and therefore have both money and inclination to invest in bitcoin) are waiting for lower prices.
Still doesn't add up to me, though.
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 05:24:24 PM

The great impediment to gains in BTCUSD is the bandwidth of the pipe.  It's just too hard to buy BTC.

The great impediment to institutional investment is volatility, which is the result of the price being too low relative to the amount of money that wants to move in/out.

It's a bootstrap problem. One way to resolve it is to increase the size of the bitcoin economy, resulting in more velocity, more churn, more liquidity and more price stability.  That will remove barriers to institutions.  Another way is to fatten the pipe, as e.g. by creating a BTC ETP.  Entrepreneurs are working on both of these avenues, so stay tuned.  (Or better yet get out there an innovate yourself.)

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
chriswilmer
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2014, 06:05:46 PM

The great impediment to gains in BTCUSD is the bandwidth of the pipe.  It's just too hard to buy BTC.

The great impediment to institutional investment is volatility, which is the result of the price being too low relative to the amount of money that wants to move in/out.

It's a bootstrap problem. One way to resolve it is to increase the size of the bitcoin economy, resulting in more velocity, more churn, more liquidity and more price stability.  That will remove barriers to institutions.  Another way is to fatten the pipe, as e.g. by creating a BTC ETP.  Entrepreneurs are working on both of these avenues, so stay tuned.  (Or better yet get out there an innovate yourself.)

I sort of agree, but then I think... it isn't that hard to buy bitcoins. Again, if you have deep pockets, can't you just call up Barry Silbert and do it? Barry's team at SecondMarket will source bitcoins from all of the major exchanges/miners/locals, etc.
jcoin200

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 06:42:35 PM

$4000 by the end of July.

Let me guess, you were one of the people going around saying "new all time high by April" too?
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 06:54:11 PM

That's how they know, probably. Buy up as much as possible outside the exchanges, when done with that pump the price on the exchanges and massively increase your net worth.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
Cassius
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2014, 06:56:12 PM

I sort of agree, but then I think... it isn't that hard to buy bitcoins. Again, if you have deep pockets, can't you just call up Barry Silbert and do it? Barry's team at SecondMarket will source bitcoins from all of the major exchanges/miners/locals, etc.

I can see why institutional investors would stay away until there's more regulation: legal nightmare in the event of lost coins.
Others? Not sure. Perhaps bitcoin is less well known/understood outside these boards than we'd like to think.
Hyena
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1013

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2014, 07:22:22 PM

There is at least ONE big bubble yet to come. I have seen it in my dreams many times and I know it because shit hasn't hit the fan yet. After that, anything could happen, even death. Speaking of dreams, today I had a dream where gold had crashed 70% but interestingly silver not. I have no gold nor silver though, thus pretty irrelevant dream for me, however I can see it happening because the industrial value of gold is much less than it's market value. Once people realize that gold is not the ultimate store of value it will go down big time. Old school investors such as that Warren Buffer dude will lose their wealth.

★★★ CryptoGraffiti.info ★★★ Hidden Messages Found from the Block Chain (Thread)
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: