Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 12:06:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: "I guarantee there will be another Bitcoin price bubble"  (Read 3934 times)
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 12:53:16 PM

Plenty of hedge funds are buying bitcoin.  They are doing it slowly, and stealthily, so as not to move the market.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
BreakingBAD

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 12:58:14 PM

Pretty sure Barry Silbert's prediction is right!
But right now we can only imagine and wait what's gonna happen  Sad

Cassius
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2014, 01:01:00 PM

Plenty of hedge funds are buying bitcoin.  They are doing it slowly, and stealthily, so as not to move the market.

Is this from personal experience or do you have a source?
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 01:05:27 PM

$1 Billion is nothing.
$20 Billion is nothing.
Compared to the trillions of dollars being pumped into stock markets, billion dollar is a drop in the bucket.

It just shows you how small people are thinking (I'm looking at you, cosmo).

This right here is why when people tell me Bitcoin is like the tulip bubble I wonder how stupid they are.  In order for BTC to be like the tulip bubble it would have to hit like 10 mill a coin and crash to 100 a coin in less than 3 months, we've seen nothing even close to this at all.
Equate

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 01:09:47 PM

Only time will tell.
aminorex
Legendary

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 02:19:37 PM

Personal experience, and sources.  Several fund managers have stated on Bloomberg and CNBC that they were accumulating bitcoin.  I know fund managers who contract for mining output.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
kittucrypt

Activity: 300
Merit: 253

Ok Check!

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 02:27:54 PM

i have talked to friend about bitcoin. he is investment banker. he said, that bitcoin is not really interesting for him and banks wont join yet. the volume is simply too low for the big money.

imagine that 100million usd is peanuts for wallstreet. if they would pump money into bitcoin, the price would explode short term but they would have trouble to sell at a profit because the volumes are too low.
so i agree with my friend, i think its too early for wall street.

what do you think about this?

Wall Street is a very diverse environment with lots of different types of investors with different risk appetite and different return requirements. For the vast majority of wall street Bitcoin is not a proposition in the short term, for a small minority it is very much on their radar screen - that is why bitpay, circle, coinbase etc are able to source venture capital.  Most of Wall Street is far more likely in the short term to invest in things it understands, things with dividends and cashflows, ie corporates than it is in buying a bitcoin or lots of them - but others will see that bitcoin offers other things.
Bitcoin is an option like play in the financial world, and it is not particularly correlated with stocks and bonds - thus it offers diversification - wall street likes diversification.
The IRS tax ruling is a positive - it delivers some certainty- Wall Street likes certainty and hates uncertainty
Bitcoin maturing and engaging with regulators is a positive - Wall Street does not want to get arrested for investing in bitcoin or bitcoin startups, they also want to IPO those startups they won't be able to do that without a regulatory environment.
Barry Silberts industrial level exchange will be a positive - Wall Street is not going to buy coins on BitStamp unless Bitstamp relocate to London or NY.

Things are going in the right direction for Wall Street to have more involvement in bitcoin or crypto currency, but you will have to be more patient that this forum is generally wont to be.

+1 for the post. For me, the growth will not just be in Bitcoin but allied altcoins too. Mining investments are also on the rise. From my interactions at the bitcoin conference, I felt that as we move ahead in time, more and more institutional players are entering into mining.

Cassius
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2014, 02:31:17 PM

Personal experience, and sources.  Several fund managers have stated on Bloomberg and CNBC that they were accumulating bitcoin.  I know fund managers who contract for mining output.

Very interesting. The mining angle makes a lot of sense.
I had assumed that it would be easiest to approach big players privately and make them an offer for (say) thousands or tens of thousands of coins at a given sum each. Trying to sell that many on Stamp etc would crash the market so it's a good option for whales who want to cash out in large amounts.
Although I imagine that's going on too, I was surprised that it doesn't appear to be reflected in bitcoin days destroyed - anyone who's bitcoin rich has probably been hodling for 2-3 years so it would probably show up above the noise.
Do you happen to know (roughly) what kind of quantities they're buying up?
aminorex
Legendary

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 02:54:07 PM

Do you happen to know (roughly) what kind of quantities they're buying up?

I know of two funds contracting for mining output.  I am not privy to the details of the arrangement.  The mining operations are in Pennsylvania and include both BTC and LTC.   Having seen the mining operations, I would estimate the mine in question at 100 thps SHA-256 plus 60 ghps scrypt.  Of that I would guess that they take no more than 80% of the output.  Numbers are crude and uninformed estimates.  In all likelihood there are many such arrangements, and on a much larger scale, but this is the one that I know about.

segeln

Activity: 602

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 06:19:37 PM

Wall Street is a very diverse environment with lots of different types of investors with different risk appetite and different return requirements. For the vast majority of wall street Bitcoin is not a proposition in the short term, for a small minority it is very much on their radar screen - that is why bitpay, circle, coinbase etc are able to source venture capital.  Most of Wall Street is far more likely in the short term to invest in things it understands, things with dividends and cashflows, ie corporates than it is in buying a bitcoin or lots of them - but others will see that bitcoin offers other things.
Bitcoin is an option like play in the financial world, and it is not particularly correlated with stocks and bonds - thus it offers diversification - wall street likes diversification.
The IRS tax ruling is a positive - it delivers some certainty- Wall Street likes certainty and hates uncertainty
Bitcoin maturing and engaging with regulators is a positive - Wall Street does not want to get arrested for investing in bitcoin or bitcoin startups, they also want to IPO those startups they won't be able to do that without a regulatory environment.
Barry Silberts industrial level exchange will be a positive - Wall Street is not going to buy coins on BitStamp unless Bitstamp relocate to London or NY.

Things are going in the right direction for Wall Street to have more involvement in bitcoin or crypto currency, but you will have to be more patient that this forum is generally wont to be.
+1
especially the last sentence of you
ampere9765

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 06:20:25 PM

Silbert is a slightly more respectable Fontas

this is the "pre-pump" stage
fonzie

Activity: 504

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 06:25:02 PM

True  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

but right now we´re still an overextended bull-trap!

"To know death, Otto, you have to fuck life in the gallbladder"
www.hsbc.com  - The world´s local bank
"These FUDsters are insane egomaniacs that just want cheap BTC" - oblivi
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2014, 06:26:03 PM

its a bear trap!

ampere9765

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 06:27:25 PM

Silbert can't actually pump the price though, he's just desperately propping

He is kind of fake Fontas, really. A wannabe Fontas
uhoh

Activity: 742

Circle gets the Square

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 06:29:43 PM

Silbert can't actually pump the price though, he's just desperately propping

He is kind of fake Fontas, really. A wannabe Fontas

Lol you know you took a bad turn in your life if you end up a wannabe Fontas!
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: